ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers Women's Soccer at No. 16 Wisconsin in B1G Quarterfinals

Brocious needed to hit that one a lot better (in the 1st).
her body language this year towards other teammates has been noticeable...and I am not talking about an incident here or there. it's been repetitive.

it's naïve to believe that everyone on every team loves each other...that's not what I am saying above...i am saying I never noticed her do this before...and this year, it's been very frequent.

I'm thinking Hobbs knows a little more about soccer than you might think. I'm also sure he has had people in his ears about some things that have gone on recently (see: MON not allowing the girls to attend a Saturday football game with a match on Sunday....leaving some members of the team, APPARENTLY, crying).
This is common at many schools.

This is common at many schools.
Football game was at NOON on Sunday. Soccer match not until 5PM the next day. This wasn't a noon start followed by a night game. Complete BULLSHIT and, if it truly did bring tears to the eyes of some of the girls, should've been discussed (between Hobbs and MON).

What a terrible performance in the shootout.
IMO a low shot is harder for the Goalie to stop in a shootout. If you noticed Sam's shot was medium height & Kaylie's was high[which hers almost always are]. By contrast Allies was down. If I remember correctly all of Wisky's were down.

Football game was at NOON on Sunday. Soccer match not until 5PM the next day. This wasn't a noon start followed by a night game. Complete BULLSHIT and, if it truly did bring tears to the eyes of some of the girls, should've been discussed (between Hobbs and MON).
I’m not saying I agree with it but it’s common. When my daughter was at Michigan she asked the team if they went to a lot of football games. The response was last year we got to go to 1 game for the first half only
And if that drives you to tears than maybe part do the problem is they are mentally soft.

I’m not saying I agree with it but it’s common. When my daughter was at Michigan she asked the team if they went to a lot of football games. The response was last year we got to go to 1 game for the first half only
And if that drives you to tears than maybe part do the problem is they are mentally soft.
I'm sorry but if a coach tells my kid he/she can't go to a football game, more than 24-hours out (and still having a bedtime "check-in" that night, I'm sure), he's getting told to "**** off." Either by me or my kid.

• Haha
Reactions: Leonard23
No problem. Just give back your scholarship.
I'm sure the 1/8 of a year scholarship $$$ that was received could easily be replaced. No coach is telling my kid they can't go to a football game 24+ hours out (ESPECIALLY at the beginning of the season....before playing FDU....I mean com'on it's not like the B1G tourney started the next day).

I would 100% agree with that but how much does Hobbs really know about soccer probably zilch; all he sees is the final record I wonder if he actually even went to a game this year; All he is going to see if we somehow get into the NCAA tournament is we made the NCAA's again and that will be plenty good for him. Like said above he needs an offensive tactician but he also has to be willing to change his coaching style or it doesn't matter who you bring in on offense
a perfect example is he stuck Sam at back the last half of the season and she is wasted back there!!!
You really believe someone that's been an AD as long as Hobbs has been here wouldn't know anything about a program under him? Especially considering he also oversaw the same sport when he Satan Hall's AD. You're smarter than this entire post.

Reactions: Scarlettrooper
I'm sure the 1/8 of a year scholarship $$$ that was received could easily be replaced. No coach is telling my kid they can't go to a football game 24+ hours out (ESPECIALLY at the beginning of the season....before playing FDU....I mean com'on it's not like the B1G tourney started the next day).
If the situation was reversed, do you think Greg is allowing the football team to go watch the women's soccer game? The answer is it's not happening but no one would be questioning Greg.

IMO a low shot is harder for the Goalie to stop in a shootout. If you noticed Sam's shot was medium height & Kaylie's was high[which hers almost always are]. By contrast Allies was down. If I remember correctly all of Wisky's were down.
Look at the placement Kylie's shot was almost in the center but disagree with you if you place the PK in the upper 90 even if the goalie is going that way there is no way they will stop that PK; Sam's was not hit with great power but the person usually kicking doesn't want to try and go upper 90 because they are worried about kicking it too high; PK's are an art look at the USA in the world cup absolutely horrible in PK's; Allies PK the goalie just guessed wrong; Even when Olivia guessed the right way the girl still beat her because she just put too much pace on the ball

If the situation was reversed, do you think Greg is allowing the football team to go watch the women's soccer game? The answer is it's not happening but no one would be questioning Greg.
You think Greg is not allowing guys to go to a women's soccer game, at NOON, the day before a NIGH game, prior to going to the hotel? I highly doubt that's the case. IIRC he is actually very supportive of his kids being as much with other programs. I'll gladly check with friends who played for Greg if need be but I can't imagine this to be the case (it's not like they're going to frat parties during hell week.....).

*** obviously if there are "football related activities," scheduled, different story

BTW - if the football game were at night, with a noon'ish soccer game the next day, I could see MON making this type of decision.

You think Greg is not allowing guys to go to a women's soccer game, at NOON, the day before a NIGH game, prior to going to the hotel? I highly doubt that's the case. IIRC he is actually very supportive of his kids being as much with other programs. I'll gladly check with friends who played for Greg if need be but I can't imagine this to be the case (it's not like they're going to frat parties during hell week.....).

*** obviously if there are "football related activities," scheduled, different story
Of course there are going to be walk throughs and team meetings the day before a football game. And no one has asked what was the girl's schedule was that day. Everyone just jumped and said why can't they go this is ridiculous.

Reactions: Zamaneta
Of course there are going to be walk throughs and team meetings the day before a football game. And no one has asked what was the girl's schedule was that day. Everyone just jumped and said why can't they go this is ridiculous.
I would guess that - if it truly did bring a couple of girls to tears - that they DID have the "free time" to go. Again....I'm just going based on what was reported here by a couple of other posters who are close to the program...so don't shoot the messenger. Please. I've got a few more good year left!

Look at the placement Kylie's shot was almost in the center but disagree with you if you place the PK in the upper 90 even if the goalie is going that way there is no way they will stop that PK; Sam's was not hit with great power but the person usually kicking doesn't want to try and go upper 90 because they are worried about kicking it too high; PK's are an art look at the USA in the world cup absolutely horrible in PK's; Allies PK the goalie just guessed wrong; Even when Olivia guessed the right way the girl still beat her because she just put too much pace on the ball
Sam really struck that ball. Yes Kaylie's was more center, but still up.
Still believe the low ball is tougher for the goalie.

This may be the last serious post of this soccer season so I am uncharacteristically joining in

I don’t think one should be negative on next year and consider what is coming. Tough to figure with a Covid year free year lingering but let’s try
Forwards out
Vicari and Lowery for certain
Romano and Girman maybe
So
Tiernan
Baran
Incoming. Alaena Bradley attacking mid. Starter on u17 nt and west coast all american American. She is a serious talent

So we are now long , faster , with better foot skills at the position

I have no idea what mids are staying but other than Sammi it. Shouldn’t matter.
Gabriela Gil was a top talent and on the u15/u16 national team if healed she will be the playmaker we don’t have there now. Net faster, better vision, better foot skills.
That would make Sammi holding mid or she slides over to left mid and maybe Allison Post taking over at holding mid

There will be 5/6 ladies who none of us are familiar sith vying for any of those spots
The question because I am a fan but Russomano should be on the field at forward or mid

I won’t go int backs but the front line will be taller, faster, better skills, and faster.
I sorta of like that

About PDa they are no longer an in house AAU team. The 2025 class has ( out of state girls and a backup goalie from nj.
Depending on who stays that at class is probably do

PDA has three girls in the 2024 class but I think one is of south. Recruiting wise he is hitting realt good academies

MichigN Hawks and Portland thorns both have a slightly higher ECNlL ranking than pda

Ok got to go so keep the dialog going or if youvthink me an agile feel free to say so

This may be the last serious post of this soccer season so I am uncharacteristically joining in

I don’t think one should be negative on next year and consider what is coming. Tough to figure with a Covid year free year lingering but let’s try
Forwards out
Romano and Girman maybe
So
Tiernan
Baran
Incoming. Alaena Bradley attacking mid. Starter on u17 nt and west coast all american American. She is a serious talent

Gabriela Gil was a top talent and on the u15/u16 national team if healed she will be the playmaker we don’t have there now. Net faster, better vision, better foot skills.
That would make Sammi holding mid or she slides over to left mid and maybe Allison Post taking over at holding mid

There will be 5/6 ladies who none of us are familiar sith vying for any of those spots
The question because I am a fan but Russomano should be on the field at forward or mid

I won’t go int backs but the front line will be taller, faster, better skills, and faster.
I sorta of like that

About PDa they are no longer an in house AAU team. The 2025 class has ( out of state girls and a backup goalie from nj.

PDA has three girls in the 2024 class but I think one is of south. Recruiting wise he is hitting realt good academies

MichigN Hawks and Portland thorns both have a slightly higher ECNlL ranking than pda

Ok got to go so keep the dialog going or if youvthink me an agile feel free to say so
I would hope/think Sammi might stay. This was a tough year for her and it HAS to be eating at her insides (especially after yesterday). IMHO she is - and has been - THE fiercest person on the pitch, game-in and game-out, since she's arrived on campus. Would be a HUGE PLUS to have her for 1 more season.

Forwards out
Romano and Girman maybe
So
Tiernan
Baran

I sorta of like that

very good post, thanks.

Sammy stepping in to the midfield definitely stopped the bleeding and got the season back on track. I am also a fan of russomano.

not sure Post is the answer. yes, she's big and imposing...but for me, your holding mid needs to be able to play accurate balls once you win a ball...that's the most important aspect once you win the ball. she has not shown the ability to do that. and I dont think passing accuracy is a learned skill at this age. just my humble 2 cents.

good to hear MO is expanding his recruiting base...this feels needed.

pls keep your insights coming!

Reactions: knightfan2000
I would guess that - if it truly did bring a couple of girls to tears - that they DID have the "free time" to go. Again....I'm just going based on what was reported here by a couple of other posters who are close to the program...so don't shoot the messenger. Please. I've got a few more good year left!
Not trying to shoot you...lol. You have more epic bowl game pre-game events to do.

I'm just trying to get the facts so we have the right information to figure things out rather jump to conclusions with only one side of the story.

Reactions: AreYouNUTS
I don't think we can judge unless we know all the facts. Would it change your mind if they attended a football game earlier in the year and then played like shit the next day?

I don't think we can judge unless we know all the facts. Would it change your mind if they attended a football game earlier in the year and then played like shit the next day?
It was the opener. It was MORE than 24-hours between the finish of the football game and the start of the soccer match. So again, IMHO, unless they had scheduled meetings/practices (which, let's be honest, could've been adjusted), there's really no reason for them to have not been allowed to attend the game. Pretty much bullshit if you ask me.

very good post, thanks.

Sammy stepping in to the midfield definitely stopped the bleeding and got the season back on track. I am also a fan of russomano.

not sure Post is the answer. yes, she's big and imposing...but for me, your holding mid needs to be able to play accurate balls once you win a ball...that's the most important aspect once you win the ball. she has not shown the ability to do that. and I dont think passing accuracy is a learned skill at this age. just my humble 2 cents.

good to hear MO is expanding his recruiting base...this feels needed.

pls keep your insights coming!
Agree regarding Sammy at middie stopping the bleeding. IMO Russommano improved a great deal over the season. Don't believe Post is the answer. No speed or quickness & not strong on the ball . Never wins a 1v1. Also glad to hear of the expanded recruiting base.

I did not follow the girls and sporting events but along the edges this may help

While not Schiano in the girls glory years of 2015 _2017 in the section next to mine we had a weekly group of 15_20 sitting next to us. Most were football players but Ashnault also. I remember Matthews, Oddick I don’t remember but they were all wr / db types.

Once I asked , since they rarely stayed an entire game, reply is they had a strict 10 pm curfew and even with Ash there was curfew police

Again not Greg but maybe it clarifies

Reactions: Leonard23
I would hope/think Sammi might stay. This was a tough year for her and it HAS to be eating at her insides (especially after yesterday). IMHO she is - and has been - THE fiercest person on the pitch, game-in and game-out, since she's arrived on campus. Would be a HUGE PLUS to have her for 1 more
Agree regarding Sammy at middie stopping the bleeding. IMO Russommano improved a great deal over the season. Don't believe Post is the answer. No speed or quickness & not strong on the ball . Never wins a 1v1. Also glad to hear of the expanded recruiting base.
Do the girls have a Covid year left?
I really like Russomano and she did a more than adequate job when moved back out of necessity
Not very happy with Riley while I know she gives 110% every game her role and position need to be more defined and what she does with the ball stop the dribbling into traffic utilize the wing and cross the ball
I admttidly don’t know much about the incoming recruits have left that up to others but Allie Post not the answer at all
Again if he keeps playing this defensive style than nothing is going to change we have barely averaged 1 goal a game for the past year and a half and that’s on the staff
One thing we do need is a finisher we have no one at this time

I did not follow the girls and sporting events but along the edges this may help

While not Schiano in the girls glory years of 2015 _2017 in the section next to mine we had a weekly group of 15_20 sitting next to us. Most were football players but Ashnault also. I remember Matthews, Oddick I don’t remember but they were all wr / db types.

Once I asked , since they rarely stayed an entire game, reply is they had a strict 10 pm curfew and even with Ash there was curfew police

Again not Greg but maybe it clarifies
Of course there's a curfew - we all know that - but again, we're talking about a football game that started at NOON the day before a HOME soccer match that started at 5PM. If the girls had free from their training schedule from noon to 4 that day - and what we've heard about them not being allowed to go to the game is true (I forget who the posters were BUT my guess is they were both very, very close to the program - one really has to question "wtf?"

Anyhow...GREAT insight otherwise; much appreciated!

Not really in agreement with Sammy in the middle stopping the bleeding; our problem was not defense but offense was our problem and he didn't put Sammi at midfield she was basically on the back line and losing her offense really hurt as we had no offense so hopefully some of these people who they are talking about can step up but like I repeatedly said unless the coaching staff looks themselves in the mirror and says we have to change certain things it won't make a difference as our style cannot be so defensive
Also as I said I have no clue who has a Covid year left so no idea who will be back lets hope it gets better next year
What's your take on what I said about Riley?

Not really in agreement with Sammy in the middle stopping the bleeding; our problem was not defense but offense was our problem and he didn't put Sammi at midfield she was basically on the back line and losing her offense really hurt as we had no offense so hopefully some of these people who they are talking about can step up but like I repeatedly said unless the coaching staff looks themselves in the mirror and says we have to change certain things it won't make a difference as our style cannot be so defensive
Also as I said I have no clue who has a Covid year left so no idea who will be back lets hope it gets better next year
- agree re: Riley BUT this has been a problem since Day 1

- all the seniors SHOULD have a COVID year available so HOPEFULLY we get some good news after the NCAA's and, at the very least, get another year out of Sammi

I would have liked to have seen Sammi at attacking mid but when Fluchel went down we really needed a stabilizing presence at holding mid, then when Fluchel came back Mike moved her to attacking mid. My guess is because the were more afraid of another blow to the head after a concussion on D rather than on O. That left Sammi on D.

As for Riley, IMO she is a problem. While she brings some positives she also brings several negatives. Negatives being, as you said, trying to dribble across the field with defenders in front of her searching for a shot which she forces whenever she gets a sliver of light, usually launching one wide of or over the frame & resulting in loss of possession, or less frequently passing backwards by which time any O momentum has been lost; when she goes down the wing she creates better chances with crosses but if she is well defended along the end line rather than drawing a corner off the defender, which opponents to to our D all the time, she tries to dribble out of two defenders on her & turns the ball over losing possession; she also takes obviously unnecessarily fouls, usually when she has lost the ball &/or suffered a hard successful tackle & lost the ball--strictly retaliatory--many times dirty. I don't think any of this is lost on the other girls & I would suspect does nothing for team chemistry.
When I played a hundred years ago I would have taken care of the above. We haven't had a leader on the team since Gabby Provenzano. Another option is having the coaches sit her until she gets the message. Clearly hasn't happened & is not likely to happen going forward.
You asked, so there it is.

Reactions: Scarlettrooper
I would have liked to have seen Sammi at attacking mid but when Fluchel went down we really needed a stabilizing presence at holding mid, then when Fluchel came back Mike moved her to attacking mid. My guess is because the were more afraid of another blow to the head after a concussion on D rather than on O. That left Sammi on D.

As for Riley, IMO she is a problem. While she brings some positives she also brings several negatives. Negatives being, as you said, trying to dribble across the field with defenders in front of her searching for a shot which she forces whenever she gets a sliver of light, usually launching one wide of or over the frame & resulting in loss of possession, or less frequently passing backwards by which time any O momentum has been lost; when she goes down the wing she creates better chances with crosses but if she is well defended along the end line rather than drawing a corner off the defender, which opponents to to our D all the time, she tries to dribble out of two defenders on her & turns the ball over losing possession; she also takes obviously unnecessarily fouls, usually when she has lost the ball &/or suffered a hard successful tackle & lost the ball--strictly retaliatory--many times dirty. I don't think any of this is lost on the other girls & I would suspect does nothing for team chemistry.
When I played a hundred years ago I would have taken care of the above. We haven't had a leader on the team since Gabby Provenzano. Another option is having the coaches sit her until she gets the message. Clearly hasn't happened & is not likely to happen going forward.
You asked, so there it is.
In our 4-4-2 line up he moved Becky up when she came back to right mid; I would have loved Sammi to have been left midfield right with her I think that would have generated so much more offense as Sammi was always so far back she couldn't do anything for the offense from that position the only time she did was when she stole the ball I forgot which game and went coast to coast and scored
Agree with you 100% on everything you said about Riley she rarely ever gets her shot on goal and why she is taking any corner kicks is beyond me;
Do you think with Madison there it is more difficult to discipline her? I really thought Emily Mason would be our leader since Gabby left but she really never stepped up maybe it was her injury I don't know but they had better make some major changes but like said above we need to actually see who is coming back for next year
For now we are all Field Hockey fans and of course bball and football

In our 4-4-2 line up he moved Becky up when she came back to right mid; I would have loved Sammi to have been left midfield right with her I think that would have generated so much more offense as Sammi was always so far back she couldn't do anything for the offense from that position the only time she did was when she stole the ball I forgot which game and went coast to coast and scored
Agree with you 100% on everything you said about Riley she rarely ever gets her shot on goal and why she is taking any corner kicks is beyond me;
Do you think with Madison there it is more difficult to discipline her? I really thought Emily Mason would be our leader since Gabby left but she really never stepped up maybe it was her injury I don't know but they had better make some major changes but like said above we need to actually see who is coming back for next year
For now we are all Field Hockey fans and of course bball and football
Don't know regarding Madison. Would guess it doesn't make a difference one way or the other. Only explanation I can think of regarding the corners is that as she takes them from one side with a right foot & Sammie & Kaylie from the opposite side with a left foot. She certainly isn't very good with them.
And yes go field hockey, basketball & football. GO RU!

Last edited:
Curfews with coaches across the country are normal. They are an important part of discipline and ensuring teams stays out of trouble before game/big events. Some may not like it. If they or those close to them don't like that level of discipline, it may be best to find a coach that better suits them.

Reactions: Zamaneta
Curfews with coaches across the country are normal. They are an important part of discipline and ensuring teams stays out of trouble before game/big events. Some may not like it. If they or those close to them don't like that level of discipline, it may be best to find a coach that better suits them.
Nobody said curfews aren’t “normal.”

Yet you and your daughter would still tell the coach to F off.

Yes.....You said it above.

You just continue to find anyway to crap on the coach since they had one tough season yet still finished 6th in Big 10

I don’t care who the coach is and it has nothing to do with how the season went. If my daughter told me she wasn’t allowed to go to a football game 29 hours prior to a home soccer match, and she told her coach to “**** off,” I wouldn’t be the least bit upset with her. Just being honest. Again, nobody said anything about a curfew, which, obviously all teams have the night before games. We know that. I highly doubt this was a “curfew” and the girls had to be in their rooms 29 hours prior to their match. As I said, before, if the football game was at night and the soccer match at noon, the next day, completely understandable.

Now, as I’ve said, previously, it would be nice to get the facts from the people who originally brought it up earlier this season, so we can discuss this a little more appropriately..

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Luvscarletknights
Yet you and your daughter would still tell the coach to F off.

Yes.....You said it above.

You just continue to find anyway to crap on the coach since they had one tough season yet still finished 6th in Big 10
Thank you for saying what I wanted to say.

MON isn't going anywhere. Not with 2 College Cup appearances. A B1G title after an undefeated regular season.

Keep dreaming @AreYouNUTS.

MON isn't going anywhere. Not with 2 College Cup appearances. A B1G title after an undefeated regular season.

I don’t want O’Neill fired. Never ever have said any such thing. Get lost fanboy. You’re coming after the wrong person. Others have called for him to be fired, but not me.

We know he is not going anywhere he is contracted for 4 more years no way Hobbs eats that contract and no way he eats it with like you say his record so we can only hope we regroup next year the coach and coaching staff take a look in the mirror and they make changes so we are not mired in what we call mediocrity because this program should be one of the top programs not only in the big but in the country

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT