ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers Wrestleoffs Oct 26 @2pm

Well looks like I owe @RutgersAlum an apology. @Lex Knapp what's up now that the cats out of the bag is Glasgow, hurt, can't make weight or is this the last we see of him? We know the bad news doesn't involve a freshman as that's already been confirmed. Let's go, get your ass in gear we need some solid info.:)

Last edited:
Reactions: Leonard23
I guess we will also find out what the potential "not so good news" was at 157/165 if someone is no where to be found. The prevailing opinion for those of us not in the know is that someone is not returning and given some context clues it appears to be MVB or Glasgow.
Where the heck did you get that idea lol...I’ve been following as has everyone else and nowhere has that been said ...saying someone not going at weight class Abro put out there doesn’t mean they are not coming back ...rumor mongering at its best lol....I said SG wasn’t going at 165 and it’s obvious I was right ...where the MVB not coming back came from is ridiculous

Last edited:
Lol, MS-RU it was you who first posted above..."Apparently there is not some good news coming from the program". I posted to confirm it was true, but I am still not going to say what it is. Normally I have no problem posting what I know or hear. This one is a little different. Everyone will find out soon enough.

I first saw it posted by @Abro1975 on TOS and simply brought the discussion/news to this site.

I first saw it posted by @Abro1975 on TOS and simply brought the discussion/news to this site.

No problem, I probably should have just not posted anything...Lets just say there is a reason some are not included in the wrestle offs and with those it has nothing to do with injuries or weight.

Reactions: MS-RU
Where the heck did you get that idea lol...I’ve been following as has everyone else and nowhere has that been said ...saying someone not going at weight class Abro put out there doesn’t mean they are not coming back ...rumor mongering at its best lol....I said SG wasn’t going at 165 and it’s obvious I was right ...where the MVB not coming back came from is ridiculous

It's really not that ridiculous if you piece together the nuggets that have been dropped on this and other sites regarding the news...it was mentioned that it involved a "prominent" wrestler at 157/165. That literally leaves two people given the parameters since Kanniard, Vulakh, and Harrison are all freshmen and Donner & Oliveri are not prominent wrestlers/starters at this point in time. That only leaves you with MVB or Glasgow.

Of course its nothing but rumors and speculation when people refuse to tell the whole story, what do you expect to happen?!?!

Lets just say there is a reason some are not included in the wrestle offs and with those it has nothing to do with injuries or weight.
Well that certainly narrows it down to about a hundred possibilities. I guess it'll be pot luck to see who shows up on Nov. 2nd.

My wrestle-off predictions:

125 - Robinson. I hope he can take this weight over and maintain the weight all year.

133 - Alvarez- I think this bracket is absolutely wild and I could see Firestone emerging here as well.

141 - Aragona in a tight one over Lipari

149 - Angelo in another tough bracket

157 - MVB - At his natural weight, his funk just ekes out Kanniard. If Vulakh was here, I'd go with him.

174 -Grello. I hope this year he steps up to Blood-round or AA status

184 - Janzer. It is his time to take over this spot.

197 - Correnti in a close one. Another tough bracket

Heavy - Colucci

My wrestle-off predictions:

125 - Robinson. I hope he can take this weight over and maintain the weight all year.

133 - Alvarez- I think this bracket is absolutely wild and I could see Firestone emerging here as well.

141 - Aragona in a tight one over Lipari

149 - Angelo in another tough bracket

157 - MVB - At his natural weight, his funk just ekes out Kanniard. If Vulakh was here, I'd go with him.

174 -Grello. I hope this year he steps up to Blood-round or AA status

184 - Janzer. It is his time to take over this spot.

197 - Correnti in a close one. Another tough bracket

Heavy - Colucci
Saw Firestone this summer and he was big and strong but hope sucking the weight he had to do doesn’t weaken him ..he is a former state champion with lots of upside .

Reactions: Clearscreen25
Saw Firestone this summer and he was big and strong but hope sucking the weight he had to do doesn’t weaken him ..he is a former state champion with lots of upside .
That would be great and allow Alvarez to red-shirt. I think that will be a nice battle.

Kratch just wrote an article on NJ.COM:

https://www.nj.com/rutgers/2019/10/...this-year-key-battles-at-133-141-184-197.html

Nothing about Vulakh, but he does say Turley and Glasgow are battling minor injuries.

Reactions: koleszar
I wonder what's up with Vulakh? Hope its nothing serious as he is a stud... It's hard to get a read on everything at this point since Kratch said Turley/Glasgow are both battling minor injuries but then others are saying its not related to injuries/weight lol

I am still confused over the not so good news.
Going through the lineups and active roster there is one potential 165 lb'er not mentioned at all. I saw this wrestler in freestyle this summer, so I wouldn't think it was him.

Is Cody still wrestling? How does the arthritis affect him?

Agreed. It all depends on what his current weight is and if he is cutting to get to 184 which makes 165 unreasonable or currently bumping up.

My Predictions:

125: Aguilar

133: Firestone

141: Lipari (I think Aragona probably wins but I really hope he can redshirt this season so hopefully Lipari is our 141 guy this year)

149: Santos

157: MVB

174: Grello

184: Janzer

197: Lightner

Heavy: Colucci

Yup, that would be tough. But it depends on if he is cutting for 184 or not. He has wrestled 165 in the past.

Scott was not certified for 165lbs last year......I would be shocked if he was certified this year. He has not wrestled 165 in 3 seasons(this being the 3rd). He spent all off season getting big since he knew he was going to wrestle off for 184. Hopefully Turley will be back shortly, as he was our best option at 165.

Scott was not certified for 165lbs last year......I would be shocked if he was certified this year. He has not wrestled 165 in 3 seasons(this being the 3rd). He spent all off season getting big since he knew he was going to wrestle off for 184. Hopefully Turley will be back shortly, as he was our best option at 165.
I know it is a stretch. I only mentioned him because he is still listed at 174 on the RU website. It is not likely an option at all.

I would much rather see Turley heal up and grab that weight. That kid is a tornado and a ton of fun to watch.

Reactions: ScarletGrapfan
Good, I see the bad news is not about Donner.
Bad, the news is about Glasgow (See other thread)

I doubt we ever see Glasgow wrestle for RU again. Yes this is pure speculation on my part but between how last year went with injuries, hurt not hurt, etc I just don’t see him making at this level or at least not here. Really was hoping to see Vulakh and Turley. Hopefully neither is hurt that badly

Glasgow suspended for violating team rules and Vulakh out with injury:
Well that sucks. He accomplished that feat pretty quickly. We've only started organized practices a few weeks ago. Good start to the season.:chairshot: I'm starting to think this just might be the last time we see Glasgow.

Last edited:
Firestone was excellent in hs. What was his weight at during summer

Well that sucks. He accomplished that feat pretty quickly. We've only started organized practices a few weeks ago. Good start to the season.:chairshot: I'm starting to think this just might be the last time we see Glasgow.

Agreed I think he is done at Rutgers for good.Total waste of talent unfortunately.

Reactions: koleszar
My Predictions:

125: Aguilar

133: Firestone

141: Lipari (I think Aragona probably wins but I really hope he can redshirt this season so hopefully Lipari is our 141 guy this year)

149: Santos

157: MVB

174: Grello

184: Janzer

197: Lightner

Heavy: Colucci

Lightner ahead of Correnti - This should be interesting.

We now have a whole season to see who can succeed in B1G wrestling. Let's blow the whistle and get started.$$$$

Last edited:
Any idea on the extent of injuries to turley and vulakh? Long term or short term?

Does RU use wrestle-offs to determine starters? I ask, as UNI does not, and really never have since I've been a follower, which is over 20 years.

That's why I call wrestle-offs, "wrestling exhibitions."

As Goodale said it is not the all in all or final determination.Performances in opens and dual meets will determine the exact starters.After the Scuffle we might have a better handle of things, except whoever wins this weekend goes on a serious winning streak.

Last edited:
As Goodale said it is not the all in all or final determination.Performances in opens and dual meets will determine the exact starters.After the Scuffle we might have a better handle of things, except whoever wins this weekend goes on a serious winning streak.
Thanks. Sounds exactly like UNI.

Good to see Harrison wrestling.
Benner/Angelo 149 repeat of hs finals from few years ago.
Oliveri/Grello both former Scorpions

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT