ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers Wrestleoffs Oct 26 @2pm

Well looks like I owe @RutgersAlum an apology. @Lex Knapp what's up now that the cats out of the bag is Glasgow, hurt, can't make weight or is this the last we see of him? We know the bad news doesn't involve a freshman as that's already been confirmed. Let's go, get your ass in gear we need some solid info.:)
There’s not much I know other than that the suspension does not involve anything with legal issues. Sounds like it could be academic related.

There’s not much I know other than that the suspension does not involve anything with legal issues. Sounds like it could be academic related.

Hopefully it is academic. Those things can be corrected with tutoring.
I want him to succeed in life as well as on the mat.

Reactions: RU Diesel07110
I guess i understand that because the team is very young.
Like all fans, the more matches i see the better

I ma happy i see the RU Matches Lined up on Flo.
I hadn't seen them before today.
That is a big relief for me

11:30 start time! Can't wait.
I imagine we will won;t see everyone wrestle as they want to preserve red shirts until later.

Reactions: Clearscreen25
:)
I prefer to be a schlub.
Easier that way.
Plus I have only followed Wrestling since Goodale came to RU (About the time my son graduated high school). I was missing the fix and year by year i become more addicted.

I got a new cable package this year and don’t have BTN. Debating between Flo and BTN2GO. I’d rather Flo but they only do yearly subscriptions and I don’t watch much wrestling after the NCAAs so I’m not sure if I want to spend that much for a college season. Could be worth it I guess with the Olympic trials. What do you guys recommend?

I have done both. I recommend Flo. I really enjoyed the freesytle this off season.
I believe if you cancel flo, you might get a partial refund. Some of the big tournaments (Scuffle) will not be on B10.

If you are just just a rutgers fan (Like i was a few years back), the B10 app was enough.

I got a new cable package this year and don’t have BTN. Debating between Flo and BTN2GO. I’d rather Flo but they only do yearly subscriptions and I don’t watch much wrestling after the NCAAs so I’m not sure if I want to spend that much for a college season. Could be worth it I guess with the Olympic trials. What do you guys recommend?
Get Flo it's worth it

The production value of Flo has improved every year and they are loaded with specials. However, it’s a decent cost so you need to be a year long wrestling fan and into the freestyle season to make it worth it. For my son and me it’s a necessity like some people view YES or MSG as a necessity but I recognize I’m the minority.

Flo is the way to go for content but the worst part about it is the absurd pricing model. The fact that they don't offer monthly subscriptions/pricing is a horrible business model. They are losing out on a ton of revenue, especially in season for causal fans who want to watch more wrestling. Most people who would get a 5-6 month subscription are just forgoing a subscription all together rather than signing up for the FY.

Reactions: Ole Cabbagehead
It's $12.50 a month when you break it down. For the amount of content FLO generates, it's actually a ridiculously good deal IMO. But I guess it's all subjective.

That also gives you access to the Flograppling, Flocombat...etc verticals as well.

Reactions: rutgers lar
Flo does give pro rated refunds. But you do have to pay that $150 up front first, which for some is a deal breaker. I have to listen to my wife's comments when that AMEX bill arrives, lol.

Reactions: R U Crazy
Key results so far

Angelo beats Benner 3-1 in OT
Janzer 4-2 over Scott (Late reversal)
Alvarez beats Metzlers 3-1 in OT
Aguilar big over Robinson 5-1

Some surprising results.....lot of wrestlers close.

Alvarez 5, Firestone 3...
Santos 1, Angelo 0 (Did Santos ride the entire period?)

I’d guess Angelo chose neutral in P2 but who knows

Aguilar has to be the biggest standout from today so far. Two wins vs Robinson who’s down from 133, one by pin and one with 3 minutes of riding time. That’s dominant.

Love seeing Alvarez winning the 133 bracket. Anxiously waiting the results of Kannaird vs MVB and Lipari vs Aragona

Correnti beating Lightner 6-2

Both of those wrestlers would benefit from having a 220 weight class (or 97 kg)
I have been a huge Correnti fan, hoping this is the year he can build off his freshman season. We will see if Pagano has something to say about it.

I does appear that Metzlers' may not see the starting lineup on a permanent basis again. I appreciate the effort he has put forth the last 2 seasons.

I know these are wrestling "Exhibitions" and not true wrestle offs.

125 Aguilar
133 Alvarez
141 Aragona
149 Santos
157 MVB
174 Grello
184 Janzer
197 Correnti
285 Collucci

Still waiting for Pagano to wrestle..
If Aragona ends up winning 141, Does Lipari try 149?
It will be interesting the first meet who is out there and who is not.
Whose Red Shirts are burnt first?

I think there are still many questions (good questions) we have in our lineup.

Will we have a healthy 165 wrestler for next Saturday or are we just gonna forfeit those matches next week on Opening Day? Maybe Oliveri can spot start until Turley or Donner can wrestle.

Even though Aragona won, I would still like to see him redshirt if possible. He will be an absolute monster after an extra year of training and whatnot especially if Nick won't be back until next year as well.
Agreed. I'd feel differently if he dominated and won convincingly.

It will be a tough conversation for Goodale because Lipari was an NCAA qualifier last year and it's obvious Jojo has the talent to at least be a qualifier this year but it's probably for the best for the team/program and for himself to develop even further.

This. We act like Lipari is some also ran. The kid won a match at a Nationals, went toe to toe with Yianni (I was there and he gave him a run) and was predicted by many to win this wrestle off. I don’t necessarily disagree that Jo Jo may benefit from a redshirt, but this is an impressive start. If this was the first match of the season and Jo Jo beat a national qualifier with a win in Pittsburgh, many would be predicting AA status by year end.

The kid is a race horse and will continue to improve as the year goes on.

Many questions will be answered next Friday (media day) and Saturday (Quad meet)

IMO we won't see Aragona next Saturday, that Coach G will evaluate both Aragona and Lipari during Nov and Dec , especially at the Journeymen tourney , and especially at the Southern Scuffle where Aragona can wrestle unattached to determine if there is a big difference at that point between the 2. I'm not sure if the Navy Classic permits unattached entries. If there isn't a big separation than I expect Lipari to start and save Aragona's Redshirt.

Just my opinion.

Last edited:
Reactions: MS-RU
This. We act like Lipari is some also ran. The kid won a match at a Nationals, went toe to toe with Yianni (I was there and he gave him a run) and was predicted by many to win this wrestle off. I don’t necessarily disagree that Jo Jo may benefit from a redshirt, but this is an impressive start. If this was the first match of the season and Jo Jo beat a national qualifier with a win in Pittsburgh, many would be predicting AA status by year end.

Well I predicted Jojo would be an AA contender as soon as he gets in the lineup.. that being said, this match was a lot closer then I thought so maybe Jojo should RS.. or maybe it was close bc it was one of those room battles.. Lipari was overlooked for most of last season but I don’t want to overhype him either.. he really turned it on at end of season and that might carry on to this season. Will be tough choice to RS or not

I agree with mostly everyone in regards to Aragona.
The only question would be what does Aragona want?
I imagine his goal is National Champ so a RS would benefit him (ala Ashnault)

It looks like Alvarez's may be easier.
I think he will wrestle this year and RS next year (With Suriano returning next season)

Pagano gets no breaks.

I am going on a hunch, but i think eventually Angelo will eek out Santos for the spot at 149. I did not see Benner losing twice (but sometimes i get santos and benner confused).

Kanniard and Turley redshirt would be ideal.
How is Vulkah's injury? Hopefully it is minor.

I think the wrestle exhibition (I like ban basketball's term) went fairly much how we thought. No MAJOR surprises.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
It will be a tough conversation for Goodale because Lipari was an NCAA qualifier last year and it's obvious Jojo has the talent to at least be a qualifier this year but it's probably for the best for the team/program and for himself to develop even further.
Easy conversation. You beat a RSR national qualifier in OT but not an AA. Redshirt and you'll be a 4x AA, like Ashnault. Next.

Huh? He's a national qualifier, but (and I don't mean to denigrate anyone) that doesn't mean much. We need AAs and national champs. JoJo should redshirt and be in a much better position to AA 4xs rather than be a national qualifier this year.

Pagano had a minor injury. What does JoJo want? My bet would be he wants to wrestle and will. Just think of this, we could start r-frosh Aguilar, freshman Alvarez, freshman Jojo, freshman Turley and redshirt freshman Janzer. Young and bad!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT