ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers Wrestling NCAA Championship Results & Update Thread (All Sessions)

Originally posted by Leonard23:
Fuk! Ashnault hurt his leg. Announcer is brutal.
That announcer was terrible. I mean horrific.

Tough break for Ash as he clearly was not 100%.

This post was edited on 3/20 10:16 PM by Jersey Boys

For Anthony to get two takedowns, and almost a third, with a major leg problem is quite remarkable. He couldn't put any weight on his leg and push off.

Originally posted by Jersey Boys:

Horrific is right.

Very unfortunate injury to Ashnault. Looks like a bad hamstring injury. Hope he can go tomorrow but I don't know it doesn't look good. I feel for him. He's devastated & could've placed higher.

This post was edited on 3/20 10:24 PM by Leonard23

Originally posted by Jersey Boys:

Horrific is right.

Very unfortunate injury to Ashnault. Looks like a bad hamstring injury (outside chance of a knee but looked to be hamstring). Hope he can go tomorrow but I don't know it doesn't look good. I feel for him. He's devastated & could've placed higher.
Must be an echo in here. Lol

I had a grade three and it sucks. Good to see him AA and be the face of your program.

Boom ! Down goes J'den Cox ! Ohio St's Snyder edges him. Ohio St w a big lead now. Is Snyder a freshman?

Originally posted by Abro1975:
Boom ! Down goes J'den Cox ! Ohio St's Snyder edges him. Ohio St w a big lead now. Is Snyder a freshman?
Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edit: True Frosh according to OSU website!!
This post was edited on 3/20 11:06 PM by belushijo

Future is very bright at RU. Got dippery snd giraldo off redshirts. Hopefully get a wrestling room that can actually fit 4 mats, hopefully enough money to hire a coach for the ROTC and hopefully get fully funded for out of state recruits.......great first year in big ten

Out here celebrating our AA. No way he wrestles tomorrow.. I think he would have taken Heil down at will if he did not hurt hamstrung. He would beat Jack tomorrow if he had and then wrestle for 3/4.

Originally posted by wngarbarini:
Out here celebrating our AA. No way he wrestles tomorrow.. I think he would have taken Heil down at will if he did not hurt hamstrung. He would beat Jack tomorrow if he had and then wrestle for 3/4.
Jack came out of nowhere. Only reason he even got the nod at the ACC tournament was because the usual 141lber, Speno, was too sick to compete.

Kid really impressed me when he beat Carter.

Enjoy the celebration, WNG.

Originally posted by wngarbarini:
He got the AA and can now build on it.

All in all it was a great run by Anthony and you can see he can only build on this experience. It showed he can hang with the best in the country. I still am convinced he would have wrestled for 3/4 today if he did not get hurt. I will enjoy today and celebrate our kids efforts at the RU social tonight. It was a great year and with everyone back next year and some good recruits and kids coming off red shirt, the future is bright.

Will the staff hot the road recruiting after the tournament or will they take a break and reevaluate the roster. Also i believe that no one else is hoping on board for this class. Really excited for next year. Team is be better. Need to clear up 165,184 and 197.

I think a major shout out goes to Heil.
It looked like he took it easy that match and did not shoot for Ashnaults leg during the match.
I just became a fan of Heil's because of the class he showed.
(I may have looked at it wrong, but that was my opinion).

I thought so as well. Maybe we're both crazy ,lol
Originally posted by R U Crazy:
It looked like he took it easy that match and did not shoot for Ashnaults leg during the match.

I thought so as well. Maybe we're both crazy ,lol

I THINK YOU ARE BOTH SPOT ON. Heil definitely backed off at the end.

Originally posted by Lips Manus:
Will the staff hot the road recruiting after the tournament or will they take a break and reevaluate the roster. Also i believe that no one else is hoping on board for this class. Really excited for next year. Team is be better. Need to clear up 165,184 and 197.
If Perrotti can move to 165 then I see 84 and 97 as the big issues. Not sure what the deal is with Orr at this point. The question is what is the right weight to maximize Hayden's potential? He has the frame for 197 but strength wise 184 seems more appropriate. Hopefully Lewis can handle 157 otherwise there may be a need for further shuffling amongst the lower weights (Hunt, Dippery). Ideally you keep Theo at 149. I wonder how many guys in the 141-149 range stay at the same weight class their entire college career?

NJ kids left (Evans is from Pa, went to Blair)

IN THE FINALS:
Taylor Walsh, Indiana - 165 pounds
IN THE RUNNING FOR THIRD PLACE (need to win twice Saturday):
B.J. Clagon, Rider/Toms River South - 149 pounds
Chris Villalonga, Cornell/Blair - 149 pounds
James Green, Nebraska/Willingboro - 157 pounds
Ethan Ramos, North Carolina/Hawthorne - 165 pounds
Mike Evans, Iowa/Blair - 174 pounds
James Lawson, Penn State/Manchester Township - 285 pounds
WRESTLING FOR SEVENTH-EIGHTH:
Anthony Ashnault, Rutgers/South Plainfield - 141 pounds
Alexander Richardson, Old Dominion/St. Peter's Prep - 149 pounds

IN THE FINALS:
Nice showing by Clagon. True freshman right? Weren't there rumors concerning academics as the reason he could not join our team?

Good observation, I agree.

Heil really showed a lot of class and allowed Ash to finish that match with dignity, instead of pushing the action he kind of sat back. Definitely recognized AA was in a fair amount of pain and discomfort. Instant fan of Heil. I'll be rooting for the kid as long as he's not wrestling any of our guys.

Can you imagine if Ash was wrestling an Iowa guy?!?! Lol.

Originally posted by rufeelinit:

IN THE FINALS:
Nice showing by Clagon. True freshman right? Weren't there rumors concerning academics as the reason he could not join our team?
Believe Clagon actually red-shirted last season.

Wow ! CORNELL"s Nashon Garret 2 seed, is Pancaked , Packed and Pinned by Iowa's 6 seed Thomas Gilman. Close match up to that point (3-2). Iowa kids keep trying to tally team points.

Finals tonight (8pm) start at the 149 weight class. Probably to feature Logan Steiber going for his 4th title at 141 in the last match of the night.

Steiber has rolled over his competition much easier that Kyle Dake ever did, probably even more than Jordan Burroughs. He wins tonight big against Port, he goes into the conversation as Best Ever along w Dan Gable, Cael Sanderson, John Smith and a few others.

Who am I missing?

Originally posted by belushijo:

Good observation, I agree.

Heil really showed a lot of class and allowed Ash to finish that match with dignity, instead of pushing the action he kind of sat back.

Can you imagine if Ash was wrestling an Iowa guy?!?! Lol.
I`m thinking it would resemble the Cobra Kai dojo. "Sweep the leg."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT