ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers Wrestling to Compete in Garden State Grapple

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is Mike O'Malley still on Drexel? I always said he should be someone we target as a grad transfer once he completes his undergrad degree.

Is Mike O'Malley still on Drexel? I always said he should be someone we target as a grad transfer once he completes his undergrad degree.
5th year at Drexel with 2 years of eligibility remaining.

Reactions: rubigtimenow

A little ugly but room for hope here. Alvarez vs composto. Heilman/Silva vs colaico. Turley bounces back. Not sure what to expect 49-65.
Winning only 2 matches would be disastrous. Need at least a 5-5 split and there's a path to that by winning a bunch of the toss up matches. Don't think we see Composto so that helps lol.

The initial link mentions nothing about high school boys and girls wrestling. Anybody know if they will be included again this year?
I didn’t attend but I thought last year was 3 mats. With 4 duals happening at once are we looking at 4 mats or perhaps 6 and include the high schoolers?
Penn is definitely an interesting matchup. I live relatively close to them and was planning to attend one of their home matches this year.

The initial link mentions nothing about high school boys and girls wrestling. Anybody know if they will be included again this year?
I didn’t attend but I thought last year was 3 mats. With 4 duals happening at once are we looking at 4 mats or perhaps 6 and include the high schoolers?
Penn is definitely an interesting matchup. I live relatively close to them and was planning to attend one of their home matches this year.
Nothing out about HS or women's wrestling.

Last yr was three mats. College in the center and side mats were the aforementioned matches.

I'm keeping an eye out for news on hs and women's as well. I thought it was a great idea for recruiting and relationship building.

• Love

Nothing out about HS or women's wrestling.

Last yr was three mats. College in the center and side mats were the aforementioned matches.

I'm keeping an eye out for news on hs and women's as well. I thought it was a great idea for recruiting and relationship building.

Maybe they have the wrong date in the post 🤷🏻‍♂️

Silly to have them on different dates. Guessing it's a typo and both are Sun 12/4, but who knows. I can't imagine them paying for the venue just for HS matches.
They did three mats last yr.
Would need a fourth or cut back on the HS/women's team. It's a big venue I think 4 is doable from what I remember.

Reactions: Leonard23
They would need 6 mats if including high school. 4 college duals all at once at 12:30 then another 4 at 2:30. Can’t get those done in 2 hours unless each on dedicated mat.

Reactions: Leonard23
They would need 6 mats if including high school. 4 college duals all at once at 12:30 then another 4 at 2:30. Can’t get those done in 2 hours unless each on dedicated mat.
Plenty of room to have 6 mats and Grapple at the Garden always had HS wrestling at the same time.

• Love
I looked at the matchup on Wrestlestat. It had Penn winning 24-7 but many individual matches were close decisions. A couple upsets and RU could end up winning the dual.
Eek.😯 That would be an epic let down. However, I also don't think we're going to have a very good squad this year. We lost our best and didn't bring in much.

Eek.😯 That would be an epic let down. However, I also don't think we're going to have a very good squad this year. We lost our best and didn't bring in much.
Dual wise I think we will be fine, but I agree, on paper this looks like our weakest team in a while as far as Tourney time goes. Need Turley and Poz healthy because they were injured at best and ran out of gas at worst in Poz's case.

There's another way of looking at that. Year over year improvement in each individual is what I've always looked at as an indication of program success. This scenario assumes the returners are better this year. I only see two weights weaker and four to seven stronger.

125 Stronger
133 Equal or Stronger
141 Weaker
149 Stronger
157 Equal
165 Stronger
174 Stronger
184 Equal or Stronger
197 Weaker
285 Equal or Stronger

Reactions: bigmatt718
There's another way of looking at that. Year over year improvement in each individual is what I've always looked at as an indication of program success. This scenario assumes the returners are better this year. I only see two weights weaker and four to seven stronger.

125 Stronger
133 Equal or Stronger
141 Weaker
149 Stronger
157 Equal
165 Stronger
174 Stronger
184 Equal or Stronger
197 Weaker
285 Equal or Stronger
The problem with this is tournament scoring. Those two weights we are weaker scored a large majority of our points at ncaas.

I think (hoping) we can be just as good or close at 141 with Sammy...As for matching the tech falls from SeaBass No but I wouldn't be shocked if he places high this year at 141 or goes on a Magical run

Last edited:
Reactions: njsportsphan
I looked at the matchup on Wrestlestat. It had Penn winning 24-7 but many individual matches were close decisions. A couple upsets and RU could end up winning the dual.
Wow penn is tough!! Had no clue they had almost everyone in their lineup ranked in top 20.. def more excited for this dual now..

Reactions: LetsGoRUwrestling
Please explain why you think the team won't be very good. Sammy replaces Seabass, Janzer replaces Bulsak and White replaces MVB.

125 Shawver/Peterson
133 Heilmann/Silva/Raimo
141 Sammy/Olivieri
149 White DeSantis
157 Clark/Kanniard
165 O'Neill/Gayer
174 Turley/Freeman
!84 Soldano/Poz
197 Janzer/Colucci
HWT Boone/Esposito

25: shawver was a big surprise, wrestled super tough. Had a good road at ncaa. Looking for him to take a step forward. If Peterson beats him out that's a good problem for us. Rd of 16 type upside?
33:Silva or heilman. I think heilman has the higher floor but based on his talents coming out of hs, Silva has to have a higher ceiling.
We all know what Sammy can do when he's on. Heck, I still think he could have beat rby a few yrs ago in that big ten match.
49,57,65 who knows. White is a wildcard and had a solid if not frustrating rs yr. Had some really close matches with solid guys. Kanniard has always shown flashes.
Turley is getting back on the mats and is still getting healthier. Kid has ws much upside as anyone on the team when healthy.
Poz should bounce back and have a stronger third season, else we get to see soldano.
Janzer or casale. Hoping janzer comes back healthy and strong.
Heavyweight has a few guys, let's see if Hamilton steps up into the role.

It's a young, young team w a few guys who have some real upside and a few others who can step up. Alvarez turley poz can all aa. Toss in someone surprising at 25 or 33. Maybe 4-5 potential guys. I'll take over 1.5 AA. A few years ago we would love two AA as a down year.

Please explain why you think the team won't be very good. Sammy replaces Seabass, Janzer replaces Bulsak and White replaces MVB.

125 Shawver/Peterson
133 Heilmann/Silva/Raimo
141 Sammy/Olivieri
149 White DeSantis
157 Clark/Kanniard
165 O'Neill/Gayer
174 Turley/Freeman
!84 Soldano/Poz
197 Janzer/Colucci
HWT Boone/Esposito
Yeah not taking that bait. I say one criticism about a kid and you, Harley and the cheer squad pounce. Nice try though. You're not looking for opposing opinions here, you're looking for everyone to fall in line with your cheer squad.

Last edited:
Yeah not taking that bait. I say one criticism about a kid and you, Harley and the cheer squad pounce. Nice try though. You're not looking for opposing opinions here, you're looking for everyone to fall in line with your cheer squad.
I mean, we lose two high scoring guys, dual and tourney style. That will hurt for sure.
But 8 other weights have a young kid a year more developed or someone talented coming back from injury...

Nope not looking to pounce. This team has depth and 7 kids returning. Just wondering why you think the team won't be good. The wrestlers will be in their correct weight classes this year.

Nope not looking to pounce. This team has depth and 7 kids returning. Just wondering why you think the team won't be good. The wrestlers will be in their correct weight classes this year.
This used to be a place where you could discuss wrestlers' strengths and shortcomings. That time has passed, I'll leave it at that. If you want to shoot me a message on the conversation feature, I have no problem discussing it there. But here, no way, where if it's not sunshine and roses you become meat for the wolves. I will say this, it's going to take a lot to go right just to make Top 20 at NCAA's.

Last edited:

125 Shawver/Peterson
133 Heilmann/Silva/Raimo
141 Sammy/Olivieri
149 White DeSantis
157 Clark/Kanniard
165 O'Neill/Gayer
174 Turley/Freeman
!84 Soldano/Poz
197 Janzer/Colucci
HWT Boone/Esposito
I don’t think it’s unreasonable to believe we take a step back. I like what we have overall but there’s question marks everywhere. Shawver we should know what we’re getting. Admittedly I know very little about the 133 group. We haven’t seen Alvarez wrestle in a while. White is a first year starter. Clark wasn’t good last year but should improve down a weight. Oneill wasn’t good last year. Which Turley are we getting? Which Poz are we getting if he goes? Soldano a true freshman. Janzer a year removed at a weight class he didn’t excel at last time we saw him. And Boone needs to get his cardio in order if he wants to be an impact wrestler.

Counter point is that I don’t think it’s unreasonable to believe all of these guys are a year stronger, a year more experienced and in some cases at weight classes that better suit who they are.

I don’t think it’s unreasonable to believe we take a step back. I like what we have overall but there’s question marks everywhere. Shawver we should know what we’re getting. Admittedly I know very little about the 133 group. We haven’t seen Alvarez wrestle in a while. White is a first year starter. Clark wasn’t good last year but should improve down a weight. Oneill wasn’t good last year. Which Turley are we getting? Which Poz are we getting if he goes? Soldano a true freshman. Janzer a year removed at a weight class he didn’t excel at last time we saw him. And Boone needs to get his cardio in order if he wants to be an impact wrestler.

Counter point is that I don’t think it’s unreasonable to believe all of these guys are a year stronger, a year more experienced and in some cases at weight classes that better suit who they are.
Last years team expectation vs results wise was very disappointing.. Turley injured, Sammy couldn’t make weight, Poz struggles… that said, I think this years squad will do better dual wise.. not sure if we can match last years ncaa finish tho.. we need guys to step up and lots of question marks..

Shawver is a qualifier but hoping Peterson or whoever wins this weight can have outside shot at AA.. 133 is our deepest.. everyone is qualifier lvl.. Olivieri RS. Heilman made r16 last year so wouldn’t shock me if he has a Bulsak like season.. 141 Goodale had only good things to say about Sammy and we know how good he was his fresh year so he probably can AA in a depleted 141 weight.. White beat MVB last year so there’s big expectations here.. Clark and O’Neil moving to better weights.. a healthy Turley is a dangerous Turley.. don’t kno which Turley we will get.. was his AA run just a fluke or a glimpse of what’s to come?? Wonder who goes for 184.. I’m assuming Poz goes and Soldano RS.. but if staff feels Soldano is rdy to AA then he could go and give Poz a RS.. this will probably be our best weight. Janzer did better at 184 but he made nationals at 197 too so he will be solid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT