ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NCAA College Football Games Thread Sat 8/24

Wow. What a way to start the CFB season. I fully expected GT to choke the game away, but they have some real toughness. How was their QB constantly beating FSU’s vaunted defense on the edge?

My take: Norvell totally jinxed his team by wearing a new Dijon mustard-colored short-sleeve hoodie. Please people, don’t make short-sleeve hoodies a thing.

Last edited:
I get it but a no rank vs no rank early season game doesn’t have the same ring to it as # vs # …personally I tend to gravitate to ranked games and think a lot of fans do

The rankings that matter come out later in the season.
It makes a difference- let’s say our team had a preseason ranking of 25- win first 3 including the game at VT and we are sitting between 15-18 and beat Washington- we are inside 15.
We now need all 4 of those wins to even start getting votes.

Reactions: rurichdog
It makes a difference- let’s say our team had a preseason ranking of 25- win first 3 including the game at VT and we are sitting between 15-18 and beat Washington- we are inside 15.
Sure it does help if you’re in to start the year but the AP ranking doesn’t count for anything. It’s the CFP ranking that matters and that happens later in the year in October/November.

Preseason rankings are good for hyping and drawing interest to early season games…accuracy is less important.

Reactions: MADHAT1
Sure it does help if you’re in to start the year but the AP ranking doesn’t count for anything. It’s the CFP ranking that matters and that happens later in the year in October/November.

Preseason rankings are good for hyping and drawing interest to early season games…accuracy is less important.
I get it but when the “real” polls that matter come out, your current ranking influences it.

Reactions: William J. Leggett
As a Tech grad, who watched the second half on delay....

WOO HOO! BEAT THOSE NOLES! GO JACKETS! STING 'EM!

After the first five minutes, this game was Tech outplaying FSU handily. Great win. Will Tech get top 25 votes after this? Gotta avoid the letdown next week at home against in-town Georgia State.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Whoa Nelly! Let's take 'em one at a time.

Was jk because all the fsu talk. They likely will end up regional like miami, who had that window to shape the Big east in its desire and press the conference and maintain its national status. They missed ithat opportunity from 89s and early 90s when they had notre dame like national status

I get it but when the “real” polls that matter come out, your current ranking influences it.
Maybe a little if at all but a lot of football has been played by then and plenty of things to base rankings on and they don’t match exactly. FSU would’ve made it last year by the AP but the CFP didn’t have them in the top 4.

Also Liberty would’ve been the G5 in the CFP vs SMU in the AP.

Also who is to say it’s not the AP that gets more influenced by the CFP rankings as the weeks go by afterwards. I don’t really know because I never compared. I don’t know that we can say which influences the other as the weeks go by, if there is any influence at all that is.

Preseason AP rankings don’t have to be very accurate or perfect but they serve a purpose that is helpful to the sport.

Last edited:
As a Tech grad, who watched the second half on delay....

WOO HOO! BEAT THOSE NOLES! GO JACKETS! STING 'EM!

After the first five minutes, this game was Tech outplaying FSU handily. Great win. Will Tech get top 25 votes after this? Gotta avoid the letdown next week at home against in-town Georgia State.
Yea first drive was Swiss cheese but quite sturdy after.

New Mexico 17 Montana St. 14

Another competitive game. Montana has found something running up the middle over top their NFL bound guard.

Reactions: rutgersguy1
Wow. What a way to start the CFB season. I fully expected GT to choke the game away, but they have some real toughness. How was their QB constantly beating FSU’s vaunted defense on the edge?

My take: Norvell totally jinxed his team by wearing a new Dijon mustard-colored short-sleeve hoodie. Please people, don’t make short-sleeve hoodies a thing.
The sun was not out, why were the guns out?

Fun game to watch... go Ramblin' Wreck. If you missed the post-game stuff..

- GTech coach is an OL guy.. and obviously loves his players. Class act.

- The hosts for this game went all out.. I mean.. they had a GTech helmet made by Waterford Crystal for the winning coach.. unless there was an FSU symbol on the other side, they made two of them. And a nice size crystal cup/vase for MVP and, of course, a crystal game trophy. ball on pedestal. Looks like a 1st class operation.
Yeah, great game and a helluva atmosphere. I admit that I didn’t know much about GT’s coach so I read up on him. He paid his dues and has some great experience. He really deserves this shot. Those GT helmets for the game were pretty cool too.

Just checking in, I don't check the boards or post during the game
Quick recap below:

GT totally outplayed, outcoached, and out-toughed FSU - No questions asked

FSU's vaunted lines that were supposed to dominate and wear down GT were absent, especially the D line
Noles D was Swiss cheese soft when it counted
LB's terrible - a concern for years finally reared its ugly head

Give credit to GT - double digit underdog comes in and punches FSU in the mouth in a pseudo road game
Mike's offensive game plan was confusing - not sure what he was trying to do, if he was intentionally limiting DJ ,or what the deal was

Moving forward, things need to get fixed, and get fixed quick, or this is a 7-5 team
Portal giveth and taketh away - meaning, for all the success we've had, you're not always going to land JTrav, Verse, Fiske, Coleman, Wilson, Jermaine Johnson, Benson, etc.
Hence, recruiting needs to get better, in order to become, and ultimately remain, elite

Big props to GT - they brought it, and earned the win
Wish them well the rest of the year

Just checking in, I don't check the boards or post during the game
Quick recap below:

GT totally outplayed, outcoached, and out-toughed FSU - No questions asked

FSU's vaunted lines that were supposed to dominate and wear down GT were absent, especially the D line
Noles D was Swiss cheese soft when it counted
LB's terrible - a concern for years finally reared its ugly head

Give credit to GT - double digit underdog comes in and punches FSU in the mouth in a pseudo road game
Mike's offensive game plan was confusing - not sure what he was trying to do, if he was intentionally limiting DJ ,or what the deal was

Moving forward, things need to get fixed, and get fixed quick, or this is a 7-5 team
Portal giveth and taketh away - meaning, for all the success we've had, you're not always going to land JTrav, Verse, Fiske, Coleman, Wilson, Jermaine Johnson, Benson, etc.
Hence, recruiting needs to get better, in order to become, and ultimately remain, elite

Big props to GT - they brought it, and earned the win
Wish them well the rest of the year
What was up with the issues on the edge? GT’s QB looked trapped several times but still made something happen. Not sure if that’s a talent/speed thing with this team or if it can be fixed through film review and adjustments.

What was up with the issues on the edge? GT’s QB looked trapped several times but still made something happen. Not sure if that’s a talent/speed thing with this team or if it can be fixed through film review and adjustments.
Missed tackles and assignments
Kid is good but we made a ton of mistakes

Reactions: RUPete
I kinda wondered if that was a first-game-jitters kind of thing. Like the containment guy being worried and freezing rather than attacking. I'd rather see a guy go hard to make a tackle and miss than begin to break down to control which allows the ball-carrier to seize the initiative and force the defender to react to his move... make the ball-carrier react to you.. force the action... and, hopefully, the pursuit will follow closeby should you miss.

Reactions: RUPete
Montana St in FG range now. 1:20 left down 31-28

Montana St scores the TD with 10 secs left…up 35-31.

Looks like Bronco Mendenhall won’t get a happy return to CFB in his first game at NM

Last edited:
SMU snaps the ball over their punter's head, Nevada sticks it in the end zone 1 play later.

I forgot SMU was in the ACC

Nobody claimed they were too good for anything, what happened was the ACC did not hold up there end of the bargain - hence, if Florida State continues to stay in the ACC, they’d be $40-$50 million below their peers, on a yearly basis

To any team that hopes to compete for championships, now and in the future, that is simply unacceptable

Hmmmm One day its big 10 , next saudi backed independent, now perhaps being in a conference w cal stanford duke unc not so bad.

Nobody claimed they were too good for anything, what happened was the ACC did not hold up there end of the bargain - hence, if Florida State continues to stay in the ACC, they’d be $40-$50 million below their peers, on a yearly basis

To any team that hopes to compete for championships, now and in the future, that is simply unacceptable

FSU has behaved EXACTLY as if they are superior to other ACC schools.

Reactions: Knight Shift
FSU has behaved EXACTLY as if they are superior to other ACC schools.
No
They didn’t

They were the ideal conference mate for 30 years, until the $$ discrepancy became untenable (and, after repeated attempts to work things out with Acc leadership, in an attempt to stay in the conference and get paid commensurate with their peers)

No complaining
No popping off
No controversies

Lot of winning though
Lot of championships
And lot of $$ generated for the conference

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT