ADVERTISEMENT

RutgersAL Recap

rutgersal

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 7, 2001
  • Gameball goes to Jay Butler because our team was bigger, stronger, and better conditioned than Boston College. All those early morning workouts paid off Saturday. Was surprised at how long BC valiantly held out , but our physical superiority ultimately won out, especially on the last drive, when we ran the ball 11 times for at least 96 yards, and there was nothing they could do about it. Was very reminiscent of the 2nd half of the Michigan game last year, but Saturday, we finished. BC was a tired team in the fourth quarter, which is why we held them scoreless, while we scored 10 points.
  • Kyle Monangai is my offensive MVP for his tough running between the tackles
  • Wesley Bailey is my defensive MVP for his two key sacks and key fumble recovery which led to a TD. Wesley was a 2 or 3 star recruit, yet is playing like a 5 star after 2 years of development.
  • Christian Izien had a monster game finishing with 10 and multiple tackles for loss. Played in the box most of the game, read his keys, was quick to diagnose plays and positioned himself to make the play. Very smart player with excellent sense of anticipation and nose for the ball, who stopped plays before they had a chance to develop. Clearly did a lot of film work. Future NFL safety following in the footsteps of Devin McCourty and Joe Lefeged.
  • Jennings was also very productive and finished with 6 tackles and 1 TFL
  • True Freshman Kenny Fletcher played a lot on third downs, which was a surprise
  • Every offensive player has become an especially strong blocker on running plays. Previous years, our WRs weren’t that great at it. This was the attention to detail missing before Schiano. On the last play of our last TD drive, every player executed their assignment, and took out their man. It reminded me of a Bo Jackson Tecmo Bowl Touchdown run. BCs defense was annihilated on that last play. In particular, LT Willie Tyler, who struggled at times, pancaked his man, while TE Victor Konopka sealed the edge. This made it easy for Al Shadee Salaam to use his talent to waltz into the end zone, untouched. Tyler seemed like he was acclimating to this level, and will get better.
  • Konopka stepped in for an injured Alaimo, and we didn’t miss a beat.
  • The kid QBs did great, making their share of mistakes, but thankfully not too many. They played well enough to win, and that’s all that matters. I like the platoon, and it makes sense to roll with it, given the caliber of competition, the next two games
  • Harris got in trouble but don’t know for what. Schiano spent a good 3-5 minutes speaking with him during the first quarter after his screwup, which I found unusual. (Schiano doesn’t speak to kids that long during a game unless they screw up). They spoke right in front of me. According to the play by play report , he had one catch for 9 yards, in the 2nd half, which probably happened while I was in a long concessions line. Hope to see him bounce back next game, because we need his talent to beat Iowa. We are not going to be able to bully them the way we did Boston College, and will need to be more productive in the air. He could be our Flowers, whom we couldn’t stop.
  • Great win. Should coast the next two games, setting up for a big clash against Iowa, which hopefully will be a night game sellout. How long have we waited for that!

Last edited:
There were a lot of positives but the big concern is that Wimsatt is not completing easy passes. The incomplete pass in the 96 yard drive should have been completed. They receiver was wide open. Even the announcers pointed that out. That came late in the game not in the beginning. Simon would have competed that pass.

Both QBs played well and now we have four viable QBs on the team. Remember, Langan got the start.

BC QB said he was surprised we played Cover 2 instead of Cover 6. I.e. we sacrificed the middle of the field to stack the D line and have more secondary/safeties. They had 0 NONE - over-the-top bombs the whole game. And they couldn’t run between the tackles. That was a great coaching decision.

See what happens when you don't post Upset Alerts? We actually upset teams.
lol-laughing.gif

There were a lot of positives but the big concern is that Wimsatt is not completing easy passes. The incomplete pass in the 96 yard drive should have been completed. They receiver was wide open. Even the announcers pointed that out. That came late in the game not in the beginning. Simon would have competed that pass.

Both QBs played well and now we have four viable QBs on the team. Remember, Langan got the start.
Simon is a better passer, Wimsatt the better runner, and Langan runs well as we all know. They complement one another well.

Re: Harris - now I know why Greg pulled Seth all the way down OUTSIDE of the coaching box to talk to him for a minute or two at one point.

I saw that too...Still trying to figure out which receiver he was trying to go for...he had Cruickshank at the first down marker....Sean Ryan streaking down sideline for a possible big gain

As for the first bullet point…it does help the artist when he has a bigger canvas to start with.

We are recruiting bigger people. And it shows.

IDK if we will Temple “coast” to victory against Temple, especially since our offense continues to struggle
Yeah way too many guaranteed win assumptions IMO. We're still a work in progress. I'm cautiously optimistic.

I think we will win but nothing has shown me we will coast to victory against anyone other than Wagner
maybe because you wouldn't want us to win easily...have not seen a positive post from you in almost never.

Duke is maybe equal to or less than BC...

Reactions: thegock

The kid(emphasis added) was nervous. Touch is tough when ur worried about making a mistake.
When his comfort level rises this kid is gonna light it up.
Comparing him to 6th year 24 yr olds is completely unfair.

Reactions: thegock
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT