ADVERTISEMENT

Ryan Carty, OC UNH

LevaosLectures

All Conference
Jun 28, 2015
Ryan Carty
OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR (QB)Phone603-862-1852Emailryancarty10@gmail.com
Follow @ryancarty10

Ryan Carty is in his 10th season on the UNH coaching staff, and the 2016 campaign marks his fifth year as the offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach.
In 2015, Carty oversaw an offense that averaged 358.8 yards/game (fifth in CAA), which included 211.8 passing yards/game (fourth) and 146.9 rushing yards/game. The Wildcats scored 23.9 points/game (fourth) and totaled 35 TDs (fourth). Senior signal caller Sean Goldrich passed for 1,867 yards and nine TDs while rushing for 210 yards and three touchdowns in only nine games. Under Carty’s tutelage, Goldrich graduated among New Hampshire’s all-time great QBs; he’s ranked third in completions (654), fifth in passing yards (7,536) and fifth in attempts (1,068).
The 2014 Wildcats ranked second in the CAA in scoring offense (36.0 points/game), third in rushing offense (169.5 yards/game), and third in passing offense (269.0 yards/game). The QB tandem of senior Andy Vailas and junior Sean Goldrich combined for a 147.0 pass efficiency (No. 2 in CAA), and senior wideout R.J. Harris led the league in receptions/game (7.14), receiving yards/game (110.8) and TD receptions (15). Senior RB Nico Steriti paced the CAA in overall TDs (18).
In 2013, the ‘Cats ranked third in the CAA in scoring (30.8 points/game) and rushing offense (192.9 yards/game); UNH boasted a pair of 1,000-yard receivers for the first time in program history, and had both a 1000-yard rusher and receiver for only the second time.

In 2012, his first year as coordinator, the Wildcats' offense flourished. UNH ranked second in the CAA in scoring offense (34.1 points/game), total offense (451.5 yards/game) and first downs (22.1/game) while placing third in rushing offense (220.8 yards/game) and passing offense (230.8 yards/game). The 'Cats registered the league's most prolific red-zone offense (94%), scoring on 47 of 50 trips with 36 TDs and a perfect 11-for-11 in field-goal attemps.

The QB duo of Andy Vailas and Sean Goldrich finished ninth and 10th, respectively, in passing average, making the Wildcats the only team with two signal callers in the Top 10. Sophomore wide receiver R.J. Harris earned a spot on the All-CAA First Team and the All-New England Team after ranking second in the league iin receptions (7.0/game) and receiving yards (88.2/game).

Carty spent two seasons (2010-11) as the Wildcats’ WR coach. In 2011, he mentored a pair of All-CAA WRs in sophomore R.J. Harris (Second Team) and junior Joey Orlando (Third Team). Harris tied for the league lead with seven scoring receptions en route to earning a berth on the College Sports Journal All-Freshman Team. The ‘Cats ranked first in the CAA in passing offense (274.7 yards/game) and third in scoring offense (32.8 ppg).

In 2010, senior wideout Terrance Fox earned All-CAA First Team honors and a place on the FCS All-New England Team after pacing the league in receptions per game (6.2). The Wildcats’ passing offense ranked second in the conference with 220.1 yards per game.

Carty coached running backs in 2008-09, helping an offense that ranked No. 1 in the CAA in scoring in ’09 and led the league in scoring offense in ‘08. Also in ’09, senior RB Chad Kackert was the CAA’s fourth-leading all-purpose runner, later signing a free agent contract with the Jacksonville Jaguars.

In 2007, Carty spent his first season at UNH coaching tight ends. That season, sophomore TE Scott Sicko was voted an All-Conference and All-America player. After graduating in 2010, Sicko signed a free agent contract with the Dallas Cowboys.

Carty began his coaching career at UNH after playing quarterback at the University of Delaware. He was voted captain in his 2006 senior campaign and played on the National Championship squad in 2003.
A 2007 graduate with honors from the University of Delaware in Business Management, Carty recruits the northern portion of his home state of New Jersey, Essex County in Mass. and the western portion of New Hampshire.

VIEW FULL WEBSITE

CLOSE

Reactions: Finster Baby
Ryan Carty
OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR (QB)Phone603-862-1852Emailryancarty10@gmail.com
Follow @ryancarty10

Ryan Carty is in his 10th season on the UNH coaching staff, and the 2016 campaign marks his fifth year as the offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach.
In 2015, Carty oversaw an offense that averaged 358.8 yards/game (fifth in CAA), which included 211.8 passing yards/game (fourth) and 146.9 rushing yards/game. The Wildcats scored 23.9 points/game (fourth) and totaled 35 TDs (fourth). Senior signal caller Sean Goldrich passed for 1,867 yards and nine TDs while rushing for 210 yards and three touchdowns in only nine games. Under Carty’s tutelage, Goldrich graduated among New Hampshire’s all-time great QBs; he’s ranked third in completions (654), fifth in passing yards (7,536) and fifth in attempts (1,068).
The 2014 Wildcats ranked second in the CAA in scoring offense (36.0 points/game), third in rushing offense (169.5 yards/game), and third in passing offense (269.0 yards/game). The QB tandem of senior Andy Vailas and junior Sean Goldrich combined for a 147.0 pass efficiency (No. 2 in CAA), and senior wideout R.J. Harris led the league in receptions/game (7.14), receiving yards/game (110.8) and TD receptions (15). Senior RB Nico Steriti paced the CAA in overall TDs (18).
In 2013, the ‘Cats ranked third in the CAA in scoring (30.8 points/game) and rushing offense (192.9 yards/game); UNH boasted a pair of 1,000-yard receivers for the first time in program history, and had both a 1000-yard rusher and receiver for only the second time.

In 2012, his first year as coordinator, the Wildcats' offense flourished. UNH ranked second in the CAA in scoring offense (34.1 points/game), total offense (451.5 yards/game) and first downs (22.1/game) while placing third in rushing offense (220.8 yards/game) and passing offense (230.8 yards/game). The 'Cats registered the league's most prolific red-zone offense (94%), scoring on 47 of 50 trips with 36 TDs and a perfect 11-for-11 in field-goal attemps.

The QB duo of Andy Vailas and Sean Goldrich finished ninth and 10th, respectively, in passing average, making the Wildcats the only team with two signal callers in the Top 10. Sophomore wide receiver R.J. Harris earned a spot on the All-CAA First Team and the All-New England Team after ranking second in the league iin receptions (7.0/game) and receiving yards (88.2/game).

Carty spent two seasons (2010-11) as the Wildcats’ WR coach. In 2011, he mentored a pair of All-CAA WRs in sophomore R.J. Harris (Second Team) and junior Joey Orlando (Third Team). Harris tied for the league lead with seven scoring receptions en route to earning a berth on the College Sports Journal All-Freshman Team. The ‘Cats ranked first in the CAA in passing offense (274.7 yards/game) and third in scoring offense (32.8 ppg).

In 2010, senior wideout Terrance Fox earned All-CAA First Team honors and a place on the FCS All-New England Team after pacing the league in receptions per game (6.2). The Wildcats’ passing offense ranked second in the conference with 220.1 yards per game.

Carty coached running backs in 2008-09, helping an offense that ranked No. 1 in the CAA in scoring in ’09 and led the league in scoring offense in ‘08. Also in ’09, senior RB Chad Kackert was the CAA’s fourth-leading all-purpose runner, later signing a free agent contract with the Jacksonville Jaguars.

In 2007, Carty spent his first season at UNH coaching tight ends. That season, sophomore TE Scott Sicko was voted an All-Conference and All-America player. After graduating in 2010, Sicko signed a free agent contract with the Dallas Cowboys.

Carty began his coaching career at UNH after playing quarterback at the University of Delaware. He was voted captain in his 2006 senior campaign and played on the National Championship squad in 2003.
A 2007 graduate with honors from the University of Delaware in Business Management, Carty recruits the northern portion of his home state of New Jersey, Essex County in Mass. and the western portion of New Hampshire.

VIEW FULL WEBSITE

CLOSE
I follow UNH. Carty is very good. The 'Cats are competitive every year for FCS playoff spot. Not sure folks here may want him because he is of FCS pedigree, but if not an issue, should be on a short list for Ash to interview at least.

I follow UNH. Carty is very good. The 'Cats are competitive every year for FCS playoff spot. Not sure folks here may want him because he is of FCS pedigree, but if not an issue, should be on a short list for Ash to interview at least.

Not really concerned.

Chip Kelly went from OC at UNH to OC at Oregon. If that was good enough for Phil Knight. . .
Art Briles was 3 years removed from being a high school coach before being hired as Head Coach at Houston.

rucoe89, don't tell anyone, but, I'm a UNH season ticket holder.
13 straight years in the playoffs.

Reactions: rucoe89
Not really concerned.

Chip Kelly went from OC at UNH to OC at Oregon. If that was good enough for Phil Knight. . .
Art Briles was 3 years removed from being a high school coach before being hired as Head Coach at Houston.
Agree. Carty would be a good aquisition for us.He is experienced & will likely help to develop a Qb. $$$ should be ok.Get him in for an interview now!

no thanks..not even a group of five OC..we just had one of the worst offense stats in NCAA with a guy from JMU..no thanks..
we are in B10 east division ,not the Colonial conference ..

given his NJ history - All of the pieces would be in place for him to RAPIDLY connect with staff & recruits

- and he has been at this long enough to have put together - rebuilt and put together again the power spread offense - so he 'knows the drill'

no thanks..not even a group of five OC..we just had one of the worst offense stats in NCAA with a guy from JMU..no thanks..
I actually find this statement funny. We just had our OC leave his B1G OC job for a co-OC job at Texas and you think we'll be able to recruit a P5 coordinator to leave his current position and come to RU? If not, it means you either want someone who was fired (i.e., a retread) or a P5 positions coach. I'd much rather have someone who had a lot of success at a lower level than someone who was canned and I definitely wouldn't want a position coach - that is just far too much risk. I haven't done the math, but I'd be willing to bet that the percentage of highly successful lower conference OC's who ended up being successful at a P5 school is relatively high.

rucoe89, don't tell anyone, but, I'm a UNH season ticket holder.
13 straight years in the playoffs.
Awesome. Missed this year, with the loss to JMU before the quarters, but figured a bit of a reload / rebuild. JMU looks pretty good. They just slammed Sam Houston, whose OC is a Parsippany guy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Knight Shift
Awesome. Missed this year, with the loss to JMU before the quarters, but figured a bit of a reload / rebuild. JMU looks pretty good. They just slammed Sam Houston, whose OC is a Parsippany guy.
Can't wait for JMU vs NDST this Saturday. Looks like
a great match-up.

Reactions: rucoe89
I don't care where the OC comes as long as he is good from because a good college coach is a good college coach no matter what level. If Carty can do the job then got get him. Here is the problem, if you go for a very high profile in demand OC he is going to want to bring a couple of his buddies with him and that would put Ash in a bad spot as he as no positions open other than OC. That is why someone like Carty would make sense because if he wants to move up he won't be able to make any demands as he won't be in a position of strength. Plus I like the Jersey connection.

I would like Carty too, but I ' m sure Delaware is in the mix as head coach.He was a great QB for the Blue Hens.

Difference here is that Carty has five years' experience as an OC. I'd much rather have a guy who has done it all and been successful at a lower level than someone who has been so-so at a higher level.

Would I rather have Tom Herman? Yep. Don't think we're getting him. Our choices appear to be more modest. I'd be very happy with Carty. And yet, I'm intrigued by KingHigh's third level hearsay on a big name.

Reactions: RUhobbit
Agree. Carty would be a good aquisition for us.He is experienced & will likely help to develop a Qb. $$$ should be ok.Get him in for an interview now!

You realize what "level" in college somebody coaches at doesn't make the least bit of difference, right? The guy is still coaching vs his peers and peer programs.

You realize what "level" in college somebody coaches at doesn't make the least bit of difference, right? The guy is still coaching vs his peers and peer programs.
I agree with you NUTS, as I argued for earlier in the thread. The only difference is that there are some DC's whom Carty plays against who aren't rocket scientists. Very little of that in the B1G East. But he's still my first choice of the names being tossed around.

Reactions: AreYouNUTS

It makes a difference, otherwise we should just hire the Offensive Coordinator from St. Joes (Montvale). Also we've seen great college coaches that can't do ANYTHING in the NFL. Colt Brennan through for 60 touchdowns in the WAC but nobody is throwing for 60 touchdowns with a gimmick offense in the SEC. I can guarantee that.

It makes a difference, otherwise we should just hire the Offensive Coordinator from St. Joes (Montvale). Also we've seen great college coaches that can't do ANYTHING in the NFL. Colt Brennan through for 60 touchdowns in the WAC but nobody is throwing for 60 touchdowns with a gimmick offense in the SEC. I can guarantee that.

I clearly said "college" and there have been PLENTY to come up, 1 level, and be successful.

Arkansas hired Gus Malzahn as their OC from Springdale High School. They won the SEC West his first year and he was named the OC of the year by Rivals. Yeah that would never happen in the SEC

I don't really think there's that much of a difference between being an OC in the CAA and OC in the Sun Belt.

One would have to guess he'd be an excellent recruiter in this area. Kid's got a great story to tell and all the right ties to go along with his resume.

I actually find this statement funny. We just had our OC leave his B1G OC job for a co-OC job at Texas and you think we'll be able to recruit a P5 coordinator to leave his current position and come to RU? If not, it means you either want someone who was fired (i.e., a retread) or a P5 positions coach. I'd much rather have someone who had a lot of success at a lower level than someone who was canned and I definitely wouldn't want a position coach - that is just far too much risk. I haven't done the math, but I'd be willing to bet that the percentage of highly successful lower conference OC's who ended up being successful at a P5 school is relatively high.

We have a lot of delusional fans on this site. They really think we can pluck any P5 coach out there. The reality is we couldn't pay most P5 OC's to come here right now.

We have a lot of delusional fans on this site. They really think we can pluck any P5 coach out there. The reality is we couldn't pay most P5 OC's to come here right now.

No clue if he'd come here but Arizona Co-Offensive Coordinator/QB Coach Rod Smith is making $340,000 so if you have him the same salary as Mehringer he'd be getting a $110,000 raise. He coached Pat White at West Virginia and Denard Robinson at Michigan. He was also the OC at Indiana before going to Arizona.

Reactions: daneman100
No clue if he'd come here but Arizona Co-Offensive Coordinator/QB Coach Rod Smith is making $340,000 so if you have him the same salary as Mehringer he'd be getting a $110,000 raise. He coached Pat White at West Virginia and Denard Robinson at Michigan. He was also the OC at Indiana before going to Arizona.

A lot of P5 coordinators need job security. If Ash doesn't get it turned around soon, the entire staff will be gone in two years.

A lot of P5 coordinators need job security. If Ash doesn't get it turned around soon, the entire staff will be gone in two years.
The way coaches move or get fired these days, not sure you'll expect more than two years anywhere.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT