ADVERTISEMENT

Sad News: RIP Hern4144, Mike Herndon, RU Alum and huge fan:

Abro1975

Hall of Famer
Nov 21, 2009
I talked with Mike (Hern4144) only last week. He lost his younger brother only a month or 2 ago. Mike was living in Orlando, but flew up to NJ often to get to RU games and hang with family and friends. I saw only an hour ago on Facebook , that some of his family and friends in Florida posted he passed away today. I have no details what happened. He told me only a week ago he might fly up to meet up with some of us at Stuff Yer Face next Saturday. What a shock. I know he posted here and on the CE Board, so I am passing along the bad news.

Here is a pic I took of him either last season or season before, Hern is wearing the hat:

521748_4453299166685_1701771136_n.jpg

Reactions: drmuffin1080
wow so sorry to hear this, he was just posting on the current event boards not that long ago. Didnt know him other than his posts, seemed like a great guy

RIP and condolances to his family and loved ones

Absolutely horrible news. I know he was just about to go on a surf trip. I only knew him from here which is to say I didn’t really know him, but he was always a good, reasonable man. Please post more info. if possible. Just awful.

I did not know him besides a few exchanges on the board. He was recently telling some of us how excited he was for an upcoming surf trip. He said he would be thinking of his brother as he surfed. I remember thinking what a kind heart to open up on a message board with his feelings about his brother. I pray for his family and may they find the strength they need. I can't imagine losing one, never mind two family members in such a short time.(or at any time.)

Last edited:
I did not know him besides a few exchanges on the board. He was recently telling some of us how excited he was for an upcoming surf trip. He said he would be thinking of his brother as he surfed. I remember thinking what a kind heart to open up on a message board with his feelings about his brother. I pray for his family and may they find the strength they need. I can't imagine losing one, never mind two family members in such a short time.(or at any time.)

He passed away yesterday , while celebrating his 50th birthday , surfing in Puerto Rico.

I talked with Mike (Hern4144) only last week. He lost his younger brother only a month or 2 ago. Mike was living in Orlando, but flew up to NJ often to get to RU games and hang with family and friends. I saw only an hour ago on Facebook , that some of his family and friends in Florida posted he passed away today. I have no details what happened. He told me only a week ago he might fly up to meet up with some of us at Stuff Yer Face next Saturday. What a shock. I know he posted here and on the CE Board, so I am passing along the bad news.

Here is a pic I took of him either last season or season before, Hern is wearing the hat:

521748_4453299166685_1701771136_n.jpg
R.I.P. Mike.On the way to RU Heaven. Where every game is a WIN.

Wow. I have the chills...I just reread the post on the CE board where he was telling us how excited he was to go surfing. How tragic...
Those posts are worth reading, especially the part about finding common ground instead of pounding away on each other over differences. Did not know him, but seemed like a really decent guy who could rationally consider both sides of an issue. Hope that he had a chance to catch his first wave in memory of his brother:

Given where you live and the crowd you run with, are you this vocal with them about how you despise democrats?

I ask because you’re successful and you have carved out a great life...there’s been some bumps in the road for me but I’ve lived the American Dream. Busted my ass, make a good living, have a huge network of friends who populate both sides of the aisle, and Im grateful every day.

I don’t get why you sound bitter. You’re getting shacked at Colorado’s and the Mentawais.

Maybe my reading comprehension sucks. I laugh at some of your diaper jokes but I think if there was ever a big CE board gathering, you would certainly be a minor celebrity and I would hope you and kbee would toast each other.

I write all of this because my brother passed suddenly this month after doing all the right things in his life. Worked hard, great dad, husband and friend. And a beast physically that belied how sick he was.

Thanks for the indulgence. I think I’m asking for a small detente and for all of us to recognize what we have in common rather than pound relentlessly on our differences.

I know specifically to you, Cali, when I catch my first wave next week at tres Palmas, I will think about my brother. Can’t wait

Thank you...wish I could post a photo or two of his “Captain Rutgers” exploits from our tailgates.

As shitty as the Rutgers-Fresno ‘08 game was, what an epic party.

Miss him something awful.

Thank you for the thoughtful post. It’s a tough time and it’s made me especially reflective. We first got on a board together at White Plains near Ewa Beach when I was in 6th grade and our baseball coach took us out at Makaha the next year. I will never forget the shorebreak and the backwash. The whole thing seemed super sized.

Sorry to all of you regulars and lurkers who are wondering why I just went so intensely personal. My brother was a massive Rutgers fan and tip of the cap to Ray Lucas who went out of his way to cheer him on when the shit started to hit the fan.

Those posts are worth reading, especially the part about finding common ground instead of pounding away on each other over differences. Did not know him, but seemed like a really decent guy who could rationally consider both sides of an issue. Hope that he had a chance to catch his first wave in memory of his brother:

Thanks for posting those. He really was a great contributor - the true voices of reason are missed the most, once they're gone.

He passed away yesterday , while celebrating his 50th birthday , surfing in Puerto Rico.
Are you able to share anymore info? Did he drown? We had a lot in common around surfing. We had some exchanges about this last trip. Sorry Abro,’seems like you were close. Definitely one of the best posters here. Shockingly awful news. Did he leave behind a family?

Edit- just saw he had a heart attack. Ugh

Reactions: drmuffin1080
Condolences to Mike's family & friends...Brutal to lose two family members in such a short time.

He was one of the posters who really stood out for his excellent posts. He strived to be a uniter rather than a divider which made the boards more enjoyable to read when he participated.

Absolutely awful news.

Terrible news.
Per a Facebook post he had a heart attack on vacation in Florida & leaves behind 2 sons. He was only 50. His brother also died of a heart attack just a couple of weeks ago.
Tragic that two brothers died of heart attacks at young ages within weeks of each other. His sons lost an uncle and a father in two weeks.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT