ADVERTISEMENT

Samford was robbed

bad call but its just one play out of hundreds in the game. They let themselves get down by 20 so in the end they only have themselves to blame and there was no guarantee they take the lead after that play

• Haha
Reactions: Scangg
I dunno, it's always easy to second guess with the benefit of replay, but not so much live action. Refs are human after all (despite what I post in the in-game threads).

• Haha
Reactions: runrutgersrun
Heart Attack Fred Sanford GIF

• Haha
Reactions: Scarlet83
That's an amazing block that could've been in highlight reels for years if Samford had gone back the other way down one and hit a game-winning shot. I wish there was a fair way to allow replay to overturn a call like that. Hard to fault the ref for missing that one in live action.

That's an amazing block that could've been in highlight reels for years if Samford had gone back the other way down one and hit a game-winning shot. I wish there was a fair way to allow replay to overturn a call like that. Hard to fault the ref for missing that one in live action.
I agree. That was a benefit of the doubt call for blue blood Kansas. Should get to keep one challenge in your pocket as a coach for stuff like that. I’d also allow teams to decline free throws and just do an inbounds play if they would rather attempt to extend possession instead of potentially bricking a free throw or two.

Don't get down by 22
Never understood the victim blaming argument. They were massive underdogs, they fought it all the way back to a one-point game and made a stellar play to get an advantage five on four going the other way with a chance to win it...

.... and some jokers have to say "well they shouldn't have been down that much".

Bad officiating is part of the game, and this was bad officiating. It's okay to admit that.

We talking about the block on the dunk?

Can’t blame the ref for calling a foul there, it definitely looked like one. Tough situation for Samford, but I would have blown the whistle too.

It’s not that hard to fault the ref. He was out of position and he freakin GUESSED. There is no guessing in officiating. If you don’t see the foul, don’t blow the effin whistle.

It is soul crushing to make a miraculous and clean play, only to have the official negate the play and call a foul.

Last edited:
It’s not that hard to fault the ref. He was out of position and the freakin GUESSED. There is no guessing in officiating. If you don’t see the foul, don’t blow the effin whistle.

It is soul crushing to make a miraculous and clean play, only to have the official negate the play and call a foul.
He went purely on assumption. He assumed that a foul would be committed in that situation, and then saw the guy hit the floor. He didn't actually see a foul, because there wasn't one, but he expected to and blew the whistle off of an assumption.

He went purely on assumption. He assumed that a foul would be committed in that situation, and then saw the guy hit the floor. He didn't actually see a foul, because there wasn't one, but he expected to and blew the whistle off of an assumption.
Agreed. And as a youth hoops player and later youth coach and official, the assumption crap is amateur hour. It’s a best practice to take a second to process what you actually see. I think back to some officials, refs and umpires who persistently made calls too quickly, often getting the call wrong because they assumed. These officials are paid a lot of money to NOT assume.

Reactions: RUChoppin
The ref in the last video clip scene appeared to have the best view. I didn't see the game live...so which ref made the bad call?
The ref shown in the foreground in the clip above didn’t call the foul because he had the great angle we see there. Ref on the other sideline but closer to the play but with a bad angle called it.

It’s not that hard to fault the ref. He was out of position and the freakin GUESSED. There is no guessing in officiating. If you don’t see the foul, don’t blow the effin whistle.

You are Correct.
As a referee you should only call absolute fouls....better to have a non-call be wrong.

That blown call should be the final exclamation point for a rule change to allow coaches to challenge calls/non-calls s.t. replay in BB like the NFL.

You are Correct.
As a referee you should only call absolute fouls....better to have a non-call be wrong.
And don’t get me started with a BS whistle coming from an official that doesn’t have a good angle, when another official with a closer, perfect angle doesn’t blow his whistle because there is no foul. This happens way too often. And it’s usually a “look at me” official who blows his whistle way more than the other officials. Insane.

And don’t get me started with a BS whistle coming from an official that doesn’t have a good angle, when another official with a closer, perfect angle doesn’t blow his whistle because there is no foul. This happens way too often. And it’s usually a “look at me” official who blows his whistle way more than the other officials. Insane.
Today Bill selfish saying they were gassed. Really, they were karma's bitch.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT