ADVERTISEMENT

Camden - Manasquan

100 percent should have counted. was watching on nfhs and they have the clock in the screen on bottom. Rewound like 3 times and he got it off with like .05 on clock. What makes it worse is it looked like they counted it on the floor too. They were robbed.

100 percent should have counted. was watching on nfhs and they have the clock in the screen on bottom. Rewound like 3 times and he got it off with like .05 on clock. What makes it worse is it looked like they counted it on the floor too. They were robbed.

The reaction of Camden is also as if they all thought it was good as well.

It was the last play of the game. It’s easy.
Simply reverse the overturn. Period.
Couldn’t be simpler. I would GUARANTEE the Camden coach would agree. If I was the coach I would do the right thing pure and simple. Life lesson and teachable moment… for everyone. What good is “winning” unfairly?

but I thought poor officiating NEVER affects the outcome of games?

🤔

That’s actually far worse then our screw job against Ohio state last year

With the OSU screw up it’s not unreasonable to say that the refs just f$cked up… didn’t see it… I mean it was obvious and they absolutely SHOULD have but you can chalk it up to gross incompetence.

But this? This is downright suspiciously bad!

Last edited:
This is going viral.

It would be one thing if these refs got the initial call wrong and stuck with it. But to overturn it a minute later is ridiculous. They should never ref again.

This is going viral.

It would be one thing if these refs got the initial call wrong and stuck with it. But to overturn it a minute later is ridiculous. They should never ref again.

Comments like that kill me…do you realize how badly NJ (and all states most likely) needs sports officials? They are obviously three highly regarded guys to have a state semi, and made a terrible call (unfortunately they only get one shot at it, and no benefit of replay on a close play). What good does it do to lose three more refs that are most likely solid, and discourage even more from wanting to ref?

Last edited:
Horrible call, but the blame for this loss is on the coach of Manasquan. He had a 17 pt lead in the 3rd quarter and 12 heading into the 4th. He had his team stop playing and just hold the ball. Squan scored ZERO points in the 4th quarter. He stopped his lteam from competing and went into a stall.

Horrible call, but the blame for this loss is on the coach of Manasquan. He had a 17 pt lead in the 3rd quarter and 12 heading into the 4th. He had his team stop playing and just hold the ball. Squan scored ZERO points in the 4th quarter. He stopped his lteam from competing and went into a stall.

that has nothing to do with the shot being good or not. How was it not reviewed and if it was, its clear the shot was good. Squan got screwed!

Comments like that kill me…do you realize how badly NJ (and all states most likely) needs sports officials? They are obviously three highly regarded guys to have a state semi, and made a terrible call (unfortunately they only get one shot at it, and no benefit of replay on a close play). What good does it do to lose three more refs that are most likely solid, and discourage even more from wanting to ref?

It was more than just a terrible call, it was an egregious and totally odd call that cost a team the chance to make the state final. Almost everyone in that gym (Camden included) thought the basket was good based on the reactions.

Good point on the lack of refs these days.

They should probably just not be allowed to ref such a high-level game for awhile.

This is going viral.

In this video you can see the official come from the right of the screen calling it good. The position he was in it was his call all the way and he got it right.

Reactions: Scarlet83
What sense does it make to not correct this mistak
that has nothing to do with the shot being good or not. How was it not reviewed and if it was, its clear the shot was good. Squan got screwed!
They did, but that doesn't change the fact that their coach blew that game. He got scared and stopped playing. Squan was running a great offense for 2.5 quarters and the they stopped trying. You just can't not attempt to score for an entire quarter.

It makes zero sense that njsiaa cant just rule squan the winners considering its the last play of the game
njsiaa is awful and will do whatever is the oppostite of makes the most sense. No shotclock (rewards bad offense and stalling), shortening the basketball season while football plays forever, no tournament of champions, playing the same groups for boys and girls on the same day so fans have to choose which one to go to...I can go on and on

In this video you can see the official come from the right of the screen calling it good. The position he was in it was his call all the way and he got it right.
I think the issue is that the guy that seemed to be indicating it was no good was the only one with a view of both the clock and the shot. The other two are going off their ears vs the shot (it was obviously a loud crowd, but the one on the right had it correct with shot then buzzer). But it was the guy that made the signal that it was good's call, and he was right...so obviously was talked out of it and/or asked for help.

Last edited:
Reactions: colbert17
that has nothing to do with the shot being good or not. How was it not reviewed and if it was, its clear the shot was good.
There is no video review in New Jersey high school basketball (nor is there any realistic way to have it at this point in time, short of people pulling out cell phones and handing them to the crew).

I don’t watch enough high school ball but with no shot clock isn’t this the strategy a lot of coaches would take in this situation?

Especially up big on an extremely quick and athletic Camden squad.

I don’t watch enough high school ball but with no shot clock isn’t this the strategy a lot of coaches would take in this situation?

Especially up big on an extremely quick and athletic Camden squad.
Yes as long as your kids can shoot a high % from the FT line

Reactions: S_Janowski
Is there a ref assigned to clock in HS? The ref towards top (on opposite side of camera) clearly signals shot is good. Assuming one of other refs told him he saw it clearly and was no good?

Kind of insane not only a terrible call as buzzer clearly tells you this watching live, but the fact that one ref OVERTURNED another guy and told him he DEFINITELY saw was no good?? Makes so so much worse.

Reactions: Scarlet83
njsiaa is awful and will do whatever is the oppostite of makes the most sense. No shotclock (rewards bad offense and stalling), shortening the basketball season while football plays forever, no tournament of champions, playing the same groups for boys and girls on the same day so fans have to choose which one to go to...I can go on and on
Great post. What they have done with schedule to accommodate football is disgusting. The power point system is a goodamn JOKE as well.

Reactions: Shell21
They did, but that doesn't change the fact that their coach blew that game. He got scared and stopped playing. Squan was running a great offense for 2.5 quarters and the they stopped trying. You just can't not attempt to score for an entire quarter.
You don't watch much HS hoops then. Happens all the time with minute long possessions in playoffs. Shit I remember Mary Klinger doing in five years ago in a state playoff game.

Reactions: S_Janowski
Great post. What they have done with schedule to accommodate football is disgusting. The power point system is a goodamn JOKE as well.
I am a coach in high school. I don't know one coach that I've spoken to and know that likes the schedule and shortening of the season (all to accommodate football). They talk about kid safety and not having seasons overlap but then teams are playing 3/4 games a week to fit in the condensed schedule. Its an actual joke. Power points are a joke too and reward teams for playing bad teams with good records. I know one school that constantly does this that we play and they schedule down for their non division games to give themselves easy wins against smaller schools that can't compete against larger schools but have a decent record.

I know one school that constantly does this that we play and they schedule down for their non division games to give themselves easy wins against smaller schools that can't compete against larger schools but have a decent record.
yup lot of teams do it. Somerville girls one example.

yup lot of teams do it. Somerville girls one example.
the team I'm referring to usually gets a top 4/5 seed and then can't get further than the second around because they haven't challenged themself and seen different styles of play...

Reactions: toby83
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT