ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Manasquan Boys Basketball sues NJSIAA over Camden loss

Ty Webb

All American
Jul 24, 2001
For those that don't know, Manasquan High appeared to upset Camden in a state playoff game. Camden made a free throw to put them up one with a few seconds left, Manasquan drove the length of the floor, put up a wild shot, they got the rebound and put it in before the buzzer sounded. Referee signaled it was good. Camden started squawking and the refs (two of which apparently had left the floor), huddled up and overruled the first official and said it did not count. Replay clearly shows it was good. Manasquan appealed, but even with the NJSIAA saying the shot was good and the ref who overruled the call saw the replay and knew it was wrong, their hands are tied. A law firm in Northern NJ filed a suit on behalf of the school. Doubt it goes anywhere.

Lawsuit

I'll never understand why there is no common sense with regard to the application of certain rules. Just get the damn call right, period. I understand what the NJSIAA is saying and that they're stuck, but there needs to be some flexibility when something like this happens.

I don’t know all the legal aspects with this case, clearly the shot was good. The referee who made the correct call was in the best position for the call, but unfortunately you have to live with the officials judgement calls good, or bad. Interpretation of a rule would be different.

Reactions: RU-05
I don’t know all the legal aspects with this case, clearly the shot was good. The referee who made the correct call was in the best position for the call, but unfortunately you have to live with the officials judgement calls good, or bad. Interpretation of a rule would be different.
I get that, but in this case the initial judgement was good and another ref who was not in as good position to make the call overruled it. There is no video replay permitted. Not sure why this ref can even insert himself at this point.

I get that, but in this case the initial judgement was good and another ref who was not in as good position to make the call overruled it. There is no video replay permitted. Not sure why this ref can even insert himself at this point.
I have seen times where a foul is called, and another ref steps in and the call is change, similar to when a flag is waved off in football.

Last edited:
Reactions: RUPete
If they can use video to determine suspensions for actions inside/outside of the game (ex. fights and who was involved), they should be able to right this wrong as well. The reality is that Camden should forfeit the next game if they have any conscious. They may be looking at a very hostile crowd if/when they show up for their next game.

If they can use video to determine suspensions for actions inside/outside of the game (ex. fights and who was involved), they should be able to right this wrong as well. The reality is that Camden should forfeit the next game if they have any conscious. They may be looking at a very hostile crowd if/when they show up for their next game.

Camden would never do that.

Thanks to TV broadcasts and instant replay we lived for decades with known mistakes by refs, officials and umpires that weren‘t overturned. Unless the rules allow replay review we learn to deal with occasional human error. This is a closed case.

Thanks to TV broadcasts and instant replay we lived for decades with known mistakes by refs, officials and umpires that weren‘t overturned. Unless the rules allow replay review we learn to deal with occasional human error. This is a closed case.
We also used to live without light bulbs and indoor plumbing.

Again, there wasn't human error initially. A jackass inserted himself where he shouldn't have. If you can't use replay in this case, the initial call should stand.

We also used to live without light bulbs and indoor plumbing.

Again, there wasn't human error initially. A jackass inserted himself where he shouldn't have. If you can't use replay in this case, the initial call should stand.
It’s HS basketball. Nobody is going to put up the money to pay for video replay equipment at all the games and change the rules.

Reactions: RU-05 and Bagarocks
It’s HS basketball. Nobody is going to put up the money to pay for video replay equipment at all the games and change the rules.
My point is the rule is contradicting itself. But I know we are always going to have a "rules are rules" crowd that never wants to address gray areas.

My point is the rule is contradicting itself. But I know we are always going to have a "rules are rules" crowd that never wants to address gray areas.
As we will always have whiners when refs, league officials and judges don’t give them what they want.

Reactions: Bagarocks
I also saw that an Njsiaa rep came down from the stands. I guess it made it easier for refs to get to their cars and out of Camden alive?

It’s a shame that both teams had to deal with these putrid refs. It’s not Camden’s nor Manasquan’s fault. But the game is over, it is what it is and move on to the next game. At least that’s what other teams have been told after they got screwed by the refs all the time in years past. IDK what makes this case different?🙄

And for those who are calling for Camden to DO THE RIGHT THING and give the win to Manasquan: How many teams have done the same in the past? ZERO.

Maybe implement replay systems by having the YouTube/ NFHS Network crew covering the game provide monitors, cameras, and other equipment for playoff games. Or have the state bring their own cameras/ Hudl Sideline systems for its own replay system. Or maybe stop having these neutral site games at these random schools with skipping clocks, buzzers that you could barely hear, and other equipment that would not be up to par for a state playoff game neutral site.

Last edited:
Reactions: Plum Street
As we will always have whiners when refs, league officials and judges don’t give them what they want.
That’s funny. Because I recently got killed on the hoops board for telling people to stop bitching about refs. Sometimes a mistake is too obvious to be ignored.

It’s a shame that both teams had to deal with these putrid refs. It’s not Camden’s nor Manasquan’s fault. But the game is over, it is what it is and move on to the next game. At least that’s what other teams have been told after they got screwed by the refs all the time in years past. IDK what makes this case different?🙄

And for those who are calling for Camden to DO THE RIGHT THING and give the win to Manasquan: How many teams have done the same in the past? ZERO.

Maybe implement replay systems by having the YouTube/ NFHS Network crew covering the game provide monitors, cameras, and other equipment for playoff games. Or have the state bring their own cameras/ Hudl Sideline systems for its own replay system. Or maybe stop having these neutral site games at these random schools with skipping clocks, buzzers that you could barely hear, and other equipment that would not be up to par for a state playoff game neutral site.
While none have does not mean Camden could not do the right thing and step aside.

I think it would be a positive for the team.

In the official response, NJSIAA stated once the officials leave the floor the ruling can't be changed. So it will be interesting to see if there is proof that the two officials. who overruled the first did actually leave the floor and come back.

Sometimes, rules are rules. Human error (bad calls) is absolutely part of the game.

It’s very sad that this team of ringers and kids from the actual school district got robbed. But that’s the way the ball bounces. I hope this is the biggest adversity these kids face in life.

Reactions: megadrone
While none have does not mean Camden could not do the right thing and step aside.

I think it would be a positive for the team.
Why would Camden have to pay for the refs 🤬🤬🤬🤬 ups while everyone else benefited from their refs 🤬🤬🤬🤬 ups? Despite the popular thought here, this was not Camden’s fault like it wasn’t Manasquan’s.

That’s funny. Because I recently got killed on the hoops board for telling people to stop bitching about refs. Sometimes a mistake is too obvious to be ignored.
And sometimes there is no mechanism to reverse the call. Such is life.

Reactions: ruinac
Camden would never do that.
Why would Camden have to pay for the refs 🤬🤬🤬🤬 ups while everyone else benefited from their refs 🤬🤬🤬🤬 ups? Despite the popular thought here, this was not Camden’s fault like it wasn’t Manasquan’s.
This is not about the Camden team… it’s about the referees one who if true was a former player at one of the schools. The AD should be ashamed…not the coaches and players.

This is not about the Camden team… it’s about the referees one who if true was a former player at one of the schools. The AD should be ashamed…not the coaches and players.
True, this should never happen.

Don’t the state assign refs during playoffs?

In the official response, NJSIAA stated once the officials leave the floor the ruling can't be changed. So it will be interesting to see if there is proof that the two officials. who overruled the first did actually leave the floor and come back.
Plenty of people on this thread are over looking this fact (assuming it is true), and if they did leave the court with proof, the decision should be easy.

Before I even opened up the thread, I thought Manasquan might be suing Camden over their alleged recruiting violations and abuse of the system.

• Wow
Reactions: Bagarocks
I don't know...would you go to a restaurant to order a hamburger and when the waitress brings out a 12oz filet mignon...you say thanks?

The former-Camden-player-was-a-referee thing was a joke on the other board (which was immediately identified as a joke), that's where that's coming from...

I don't know...would you go to a restaurant to order a hamburger and when the waitress brings out a 12oz filet mignon...you say thanks?
If Camden hired refs for a state playoff game 52 miles away, you may have something. If the state hired those refs, then it’s not their fault.

Reactions: megadrone

You are asking the State of NJ to do the work assigning referees.? Used to be a list of the qualified ones and most school staffs know many. Most of this news came out late yesterday afternoon and earlier was not a big story . In fact NJ. Com posted at 9:59 pm last night a updated storyline.

I don’t think it was Camden’s fault but Camden did get an unfair benefit that they could easily rectify.

I think if they did you would be surprised what they would ultimately gain.

I don’t think it was Camden’s fault but Camden did get an unfair benefit that they could easily rectify.

I think if they did you would be surprised what they would ultimately gain.
Do you know how many teams got unfair benefits in the past and moved on to win championships? And no one batted an eye.

Only Camden must do this and that’s hilarious. And I’m not even associated with Camden.

You are asking the State of NJ to do the work assigning referees.? Used to be a list of the qualified ones and most school staffs know many. Most of this news came out late yesterday afternoon and earlier was not a big story . In fact NJ. Com posted at 9:59 pm last night a updated storyline.
My apologies for thinking that the state would be in charge of officiating at neutral sites. I knew Home playoff games, definitely. Oh well.

If what you said was the case, then ref should be banned, period and AD should get investigated.

Do you know how many teams got unfair benefits in the past and moved on to win championships? And no one batted an eye.

Only Camden must do this and that’s hilarious. And I’m not even associated with Camden.
Sure but when it makes national news you help yourself by handling differently than you would when hardly anyone knows about it

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT