ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NJSIAA girls basketball tournament

newell138

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Aug 1, 2001
Ocean City NJ via South Brunswick and Denville
Don't really follow it much but happened to get an email from my alma mater that the girls team won sectionals so I was looking at the brackets. The semifinal game score was 84-8??!!! The losing team scored ZERO points in the first half and no points in the 4th quarter.. Seems almost impossible to not even hit a free throw. How is a team with a 9-15 record even in the state playoffs is another question.

Don't really follow it much but happened to get an email from my alma mater that the girls team won sectionals so I was looking at the brackets. The semifinal game score was 84-8??!!! The losing team scored ZERO points in the first half and no points in the 4th quarter.. Seems almost impossible to not even hit a free throw. How is a team with a 9-15 record even in the state playoffs is another question.

That’s girl’s basketball for you. Very top heavy. It was a 1 vs 8 game. The final was 53-47.

Most girls sports are very top heavy, and some of them have reduced their tournament bracket numbers from 16 to 8 because of the skill difference.

I was lucky enough to win two state titles in 2021 and 2022 as a girls coach in a fall sport. Our opening round tournament wins were 15-0 and 16-0 each year in Field Hockey. Difference from top to bottom is astounding.

It’s the dumbing down of athletics. Teams used to have to have a minimum .500 record by a certain date for post season play. But then the can’t leave my kid out crowd showed up and too many teams get in now.

It’s worse in football when no win teams square off against a 1 win team in post season extra game.

• Sad
Reactions: newell138
It’s the dumbing down of athletics. Teams used to have to have a minimum .500 record by a certain date for post season play. But then the can’t leave my kid out crowd showed up and too many teams get in now.

It’s worse in football when no win teams square off against a 1 win team in post season extra game.
I think the latter is ok because it’s extra practice. The beat downs from 1 vs 8 is cringe worthy.

I feel that way about the length of the season. For all sports.

Although my beef is more towards college than HS.

I think the latter is ok because it’s extra practice. The beat downs from 1 vs 8 is cringe worthy.
Extra practice for what? Seems like they didn’t do enough practice in the 12 weeks of practice for regular season.

I was never on an 0-8 or 1-7 team but if I was I would want the season to be over. Post season used to be a reward for good play. Now it’s for extra practice?

Reactions: Section124
Extra practice for what? Seems like they didn’t do enough practice in the 12 weeks of practice for regular season.

I was never on an 0-8 or 1-7 team but if I was I would want the season to be over. Post season used to be a reward for good play. Now it’s for extra practice?
For what? Practice. They are not playing for anything other than just an extra game.

For what? Practice. They are not playing for anything other than just an extra game.
If the kids are returning it is more time, it is also for kids to enjoy more time playing on a high school team together.

Those moments can be significant.

I don’t know. I guess I view it differently. Post season was always a reward. Now the bar has been lowered so much that it is included. I don’t understand wanting an extra game when it is not earned.

I don’t know. I guess I view it differently. Post season was always a reward. Now the bar has been lowered so much that it is included. I don’t understand wanting an extra game when it is not earned.
I wouldn’t call it post season. It’s more of an extra game. They are playing just to play.

I wouldn’t call it post season. It’s more of an extra game. They are playing just to play.
They had all regularly scheduled season to just play. These are games after the scheduled season. Therefore post season. And arranged by the NJSIAA as post season or crossover matchups between various conferences. It’s a crock when the NJSIAA is out there saying they want to protect the athlete than they extend the season for the most at risk individuals.

If the kids are returning it is more time, it is also for kids to enjoy more time playing on a high school team together.

Those moments can be significant.

It’s also a chance for those kids to try to get a win and be in a competitive game. They are probably blown out every other week

Reactions: gef21

I told my wife this (Class of '66) - her response was "They have girls teams now?"

• Haha

The team should not have been in the State playoffs. You get what you get.

When my daughter was a freshman, they were 16 seed vs. 1 seed in Middlesex County tournament playing St Peters. Lost 88-8

• Wow

Just a hunch, but that team may have had a little trouble breaking the press at times.

I feel that way about the length of the season. For all sports.

Although my beef is more towards college than HS.
Didn’t NJ shrink the length of the HS basketball season so that it didn’t overlap with Fall and Spring Sports?

Didn’t NJ shrink the length of the HS basketball season so that it didn’t overlap with Fall and Spring Sports?
I don’t know.

But what I do know is no Spring sport should start in February.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT