ADVERTISEMENT

Sammy Alvarez

Your answer to my question was that the kids are voluntarily targeting the weights. I consider that better than being pressured to do it. My reactions to these projected/potential weights are:
125: If Peterson and Shawver can still make 125, great. I give the edge to Shawver because of his experience and demonstrated improvement.
133: Probably Heilmann if Olivieri can't make 133 again. Why not Chletsos here instead of moving up?
141: I sure hope the extra eight pounds takes the stress and strain off Sammy making weight. I give Olivieri a fair chance here.
149: White sure looked good for a frosh. He won the wrestle-off last season, so I expect him to be solid here.
157: Clark was up two weight classes at 165 last season and struggled but also learned from it and has likely improved as a result. Kanniard better show some year-over-year improvement to keep the position.
165: I don't know enough about Gayer. I've asked several times over the past couple of years if O'Neill could make 165 and the response was no each and every time. If he can make 165 while maintaining strength and not becoming another burnout from cutting weight, he could do well here.
174: I fear we will not see much more of Turley. Given whatever was going on with Poz last season, add cutting weight to it and... well, really? Please don't screw the kid up; he has such great potential.
184: Bring back Poz. Maybe Soldano can make the weight but I'd rather see him putting on muscle weight. As strong a wrestler as Soldano is, I think if Poz returns to form, he owns 184.
197: I would rather see Soldano here with some additional muscle put on from time in the gym over the off-season. Let him and Casale compete for it. I give the edge to Soldano.
285: We've got Boone, so develop him where he needs it. Initial word was that Casale was targeting heavy and probably should. He's the only of the strong incoming kids that I think will benefit from a redshirt.

To the usual characters: Try not to get upset that I have opinions.
As good as Poz was I think Soldano is a special talent that basically wins whatever weight he decides to go. He’s a 4x AA/NC level talent in the same scope as Ash. That’s my opinion but seen enough of him to believe that. Poz can be great too and I’m not saying it’s a give me but also maybe Soldano RS’s which would be good.

As good as Poz was I think Soldano is a special talent that basically wins whatever weight he decides to go. He’s a 4x AA/NC level talent in the same scope as Ash. That’s my opinion but seen enough of him to believe that. Poz can be great too and I’m not saying it’s a give me but also maybe Soldano RS’s which would be good.
Soldano is a special talent. Poz was too coming out of high school. It depends a lot on which Poz shows up. I think the Poz we all know will take it. However, I'm not in favor of redshirting Soldano. The kids seem to do better right out of high school. By and large, I'm not convinced that the Rutgers kids who redshirted have improved from it. And I don't see much year-over-year improvement except for a few and too many end up with injuries. The good recruits have done well in true freshman years; it's thereafter that gets questionable.

Finesilver left a little while ago and had a good visit. He has to see Iowa State and Michigan.

Finesilver left a little while ago and had a good visit. He has to see Iowa State and Michigan.
So basically we lost bc if you read these boards and especially Harley we will never compete with Michigan, Ohio St, Penn St, Iowa etc so basically he’s gone

Seems like a bit of a log jam if Turley is healthy. Can’t say I know what it is but obviously there’s a plan if he comes here.

Last edited:
So basically we lost bc if you read these boards and especially Harley we will never compete with Michigan, Ohio St, Penn St, Iowa etc so basically he’s gone
Don’t be an ass as always ...that’s not what I said ...you guys want us to be a top 5/contender ...that won’t happen ...getting guys like Van Ness or top one or two wrestlers also won’t happen ....Finesilver is nowhere near that pedigree so we could land him ultimately ...without Cael or the money those schools you mention throw around no kid is coming here over them ...pony up dude if you can’t deal with that .we are late to the dance regarding those schools and their already built reputations and traditions ...get over it .....I have !

Don’t be an ass as always ...that’s not what I said ...you guys want us to be a top 5/contender ...that won’t happen ...getting guys like Van Ness or top one or two wrestlers also won’t happen .
Always with the extremes, Top 5? I don't think I've ever heard anyone on here say we should be a Top 5 program. Now, Top 10 or damn well near close to it every year? That's not unrealistic goals and what most people talk about on here.

Last edited:
Reactions: elvis7
Your answer to my question was that the kids are voluntarily targeting the weights. I consider that better than being pressured to do it. My reactions to these projected/potential weights are:
125: If Peterson and Shawver can still make 125, great. I give the edge to Shawver because of his experience and demonstrated improvement.
133: Probably Heilmann if Olivieri can't make 133 again. Why not Chletsos here instead of moving up?
141: I sure hope the extra eight pounds takes the stress and strain off Sammy making weight. I give Olivieri a fair chance here.
149: White sure looked good for a frosh. He won the wrestle-off last season, so I expect him to be solid here.
157: Clark was up two weight classes at 165 last season and struggled but also learned from it and has likely improved as a result. Kanniard better show some year-over-year improvement to keep the position.
165: I don't know enough about Gayer. I've asked several times over the past couple of years if O'Neill could make 165 and the response was no each and every time. If he can make 165 while maintaining strength and not becoming another burnout from cutting weight, he could do well here.
174: I fear we will not see much more of Turley. Given whatever was going on with Poz last season, add cutting weight to it and... well, really? Please don't screw the kid up; he has such great potential.
184: Bring back Poz. Maybe Soldano can make the weight but I'd rather see him putting on muscle weight. As strong a wrestler as Soldano is, I think if Poz returns to form, he owns 184.
197: I would rather see Soldano here with some additional muscle put on from time in the gym over the off-season. Let him and Casale compete for it. I give the edge to Soldano.
285: We've got Boone, so develop him where he needs it. Initial word was that Casale was targeting heavy and probably should. He's the only of the strong incoming kids that I think will benefit from a redshirt.

To the usual characters: Try not to get upset that I have opinions.

How tall is Casale?

Don’t be an ass as always ...that’s not what I said ...you guys want us to be a top 5/contender ...that won’t happen ...getting guys like Van Ness or top one or two wrestlers also won’t happen ....Finesilver is nowhere near that pedigree so we could land him ultimately ...without Cael or the money those schools you mention throw around no kid is coming here over them ...pony up dude if you can’t deal with that .we are late to the dance regarding those schools and their already built reputations and traditions ...get over it .....I have !
I agree with Harley... sort of. If nothing changes, nothing will change. Harley is of the mindset nothing will change, so we should make room on the shelf for participation trophies. I'd like to see changes. I'd like to see improvements. But I have to wonder when I read defeatist posts like this - what does Goodale want? Is he happy with the status quo or does he want better? If Goodale is happy with the status quo, I'm not happy with him. If he isn't happy with the status quo, he's out-of-sync with fans like Harley who apparently are satisfied with mediocrity. I'll add that if this is as good as it gets and I should "get over it", I'm not going to enjoy following the team. I always hope for better and strive for better whenever I'm involved with something.

I agree with Harley... sort of. If nothing changes, nothing will change. Harley is of the mindset nothing will change, so we should make room on the shelf for participation trophies. I'd like to see changes. I'd like to see improvements. But I have to wonder when I read defeatist posts like this - what does Goodale want? Is he happy with the status quo or does he want better? If Goodale is happy with the status quo, I'm not happy with him. If he isn't happy with the status quo, he's out-of-sync with fans like Harley who apparently are satisfied with mediocrity. I'll add that if this is as good as it gets and I should "get over it", I'm not going to enjoy following the team. I always hope for better and strive for better whenever I'm involved with something.
Damn right.

Damn right.
You guys are out of touch with reality. We literally just hired Buxton to take over as the head coach of SKWC. That's much more than being content with the status quo and doing nothing. It'll take some time to see results, so you can't judge anything after 4.5 months, especially when HS kids haven't been allowed to practice with SKWC until recently in April. What other changes do you want?

Reactions: RUpop and SCNJ
You guys are out of touch with reality. We literally just hired Buxton to take over as the head coach of SKWC. That's much more than being content with the status quo and doing nothing. It'll take some time to see results, so you can't judge anything after 4.5 months, especially when HS kids haven't been allowed to practice with SKWC until recently in April. What other changes do you want?
Please put me in touch. I'm hopeful that Buxton can make a difference. Can you explain to me/us the daily relationship between coaching SKWC and training the team? Who's in charge of training? If Buxton is an improvement, is he in charge of the squad too? If there isn't one person in charge of training the kids, there be a disconnect. I don't believe Goodale needs to be in charge of training; he needs to make sure it's happening. That's a management role along with several other things that are or are not happening. Regardless, there's more needed than the addition of Buxton and they can be done in parallel; we don't have to wait 4.5 months. If you go back in the comments, there are many reasons given as excuses why we can't compete with the big guys. If - and that's a big if - we want to compete, there needs to be a (real) plan to accomplish what is needed. I use the word plan in a serious and formal sense, not like politicians when they tell us they have a plan to yadayadayada. Plans have well defined goals, target objectives, and assignments that have dates and measures.

I asked long ago if anyone could explain the process for developing a wrestler. No one could then and I doubt anyone could now. I'm not even certain many here understand what is meant by 'process'. I'm pretty sure Goodale couldn't explain his process. I say that because I've never seen any evidence of one. I'd be open to discussing process if there are people genuinely interested and objective. However, any process improvement must first be defined as it is currently as best understood. Flow chart form is typically how it's done.

Why do you think you get to know this? Generally fans get to infer this through results only.
Please put me in touch. I'm hopeful that Buxton can make a difference. Can you explain to me/us the daily relationship between coaching SKWC and training the team? Who's in charge of training? If Buxton is an improvement, is he in charge of the squad too? If there isn't one person in charge of training the kids, there be a disconnect. I don't believe Goodale needs to be in charge of training; he needs to make sure it's happening. That's a management role along with several other things that are or are not happening. Regardless, there's more needed than the addition of Buxton and they can be done in parallel; we don't have to wait 4.5 months. If you go back in the comments, there are many reasons given as excuses why we can't compete with the big guys. If - and that's a big if - we want to compete, there needs to be a (real) plan to accomplish what is needed. I use the word plan in a serious and formal sense, not like politicians when they tell us they have a plan to yadayadayada. Plans have well defined goals, target objectives, and assignments that have dates and measures.

I asked long ago if anyone could explain the process for developing a wrestler. No one could then and I doubt anyone could now. I'm not even certain many here understand what is meant by 'process'. I'm pretty sure Goodale couldn't explain his process. I say that because I've never seen any evidence of one. I'd be open to discussing process if there are people genuinely interested and objective. However, any process improvement must first be defined as it is currently as best understood. Flow chart form is typically how it's done.

I was just inquiring to see if he has size to grow into a decent size heavyweight or if he is going to be a 197 LB wrestler over the next four to five years.
He's listed as 6-1" on his Hudl profile, so he's probably right around 6' to 6'-1"

Need up to the minute updates on everything everyone in the program is doing. Shame on the coaching staff for not documenting everything they do on TikTok for the world to see

Need up to the minute updates on everything everyone in the program is doing. Shame on the coaching staff for not documenting everything they do on TikTok for the world to see
Is that what you got from my post? I understand sarcasm but sometimes it's indiscernible from stupidity. In your case, I wonder what tells you to breathe while you're sleeping.

I put some thought into what I wrote and I did it because I'd like to see the team improve. Are you capable of writing anything of substance? Do you have any original ideas? Can you string sentences together to express them? I'm really not into Harley-like pissing matches but if you have the ability to enter into an intelligent discussion, I would welcome it.

The coaching staff spends hours and hours evaluating transfers snd high schoolers as to whether they fit at RU and how far is there upside. Soldano is a perfect example of what I call a 5% et. Someone who is a game changer. They feel the California kid fits that category. Their recruiting efforts are geared toward getting as many of those top prospects as possible. Obviously we only have so much scholarship money to go around so we are limited

The coaching staff spends hours and hours evaluating transfers snd high schoolers as to whether they fit at RU and how far is there upside. Soldano is a perfect example of what I call a 5% et. Someone who is a game changer. They feel the California kid fits that category. Their recruiting efforts are geared toward getting as many of those top prospects as possible. Obviously we only have so much scholarship money to go around so we are limited
What criteria define a fit at Rutgers?

Reactions: dbtks34
Just my POV, I feel Goodale has done a good job of growing the program from what it was when he got here to what it is today. The question is, what’s needed to take things to the next level. If it were me I would prioritize increasing our out of state footprint. Specifically I would focus on expanding our pipeline in PA, Ohio, and NY. Yea, we recruit there already and have had some success, but we’re generally not getting the 5%’s out of state, but that’s the expansion I hope we’re targeting. How to do that? That’s the question, but for starters, perhaps look at the network. HC connections undoubtedly was a factor when he was hired initially, which is logical, and beyond that our current coaching staff are all men with NJ roots. If we were serious about expanding the footprint and recruiting pipeline, adding someone already well connected in PA, as example, might be a place to start.
Beyond that, it seems to me with NIL $ and increased focus on athletics from Ivys the landscape appears to be changing, but that’s a different matter.

• Haha
Reactions: mikemessner
That's a question you should ask Goodale, Pritzlaff Ashnault and Pollard.
Wouldn't that be swell? I thought about what it meant but couldn't make much sense out of it. Personality? IQ? Available weight class? There's an expression: beggars can't be choosey. I would think a great wrestler would pass the test on that alone.

Upside is a reasonable criterion. Soldano is definitely a great catch. Aragona was too. I didn't think the kid from California was at that level or any more so than Aguilar. I do think Poz had that potential and hope he still does.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT