ADVERTISEMENT

Sammy Alvarez

rpiseman

Senior
Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Is at high school states cornering kids instead of helping his teammates prepare for big tens.
Not looking good with Sammy long term.

cornering kids from his high school that he is a alumni and a State champion from. Clearly he wasn't apart of the travel party going to big tens. Since when has it became a problem giving back to the high school you came from..

YOU GUYS ARE A JOKE

Reactions: William J. Leggett
I don't necessarily disagree with the long-term outlook but the team is in Nebraska and probably only brought those that would be wrestling.
Unless the rules changed, teams can bring 5 "training" partners. I guess Sammy wasn't asked to be one of the five. I am sure he would have been helpful to Oliveri, Rivera, and MVB. Maybe he needed a rest.

cornering kids from his high school that he is a alumni and a State champion from. Clearly he wasn't apart of the travel party going to big tens. Since when has it became a problem giving back to the high school you came from..

YOU GUYS ARE A JOKE
Jesus Christmas dude...calm the frig down! We are only voicing our opinions and rightfully so. I know for a fact he is not with the team. I heard it from a source as close as you can get to the program. The fans have every right to be pissed off, concerned, worried, and inquisitive. The SKWC has no problem asking for donations...right? All the wrestling merchandise at the RAC is off the charts expensive and made overseas...right? So you bet your ass, if people are going to donate, spend their weekends and weeks days supporting a program and its wrestlers, they should have some insight into what's going with the so-called investments, which are the wrestlers.

Jesus Christmas dude...calm the frig down! We are only voicing our opinions and rightfully so. I know for a fact he is not with the team. I heard it from a source as close as you can get to the program. The fans have every right to be pissed off, concerned, worried, and inquisitive. The SKWC has no problem asking for donations...right? All the wrestling merchandise at the RAC is off the charts expensive and made overseas...right? So you bet your ass, if people are going to donate, spend their weekends and weeks days supporting a program and its wrestlers, they should have some insight into what's going with the so-called investments, which are the wrestlers.
Another bum take from someone who has no clue. Donating $100 doesn’t give you back-stage access to know the personal life about the kids in the program. You’re dedicating your weekdays and weekends supporting the program? Give me a break. What do you want, the Rutgers mothers knitting the merchandise themselves? If your “investment” isn’t paying off for you than go “root”, I mean disparage, another program. Trust me, you won’t be missed.

We basically recruited over him when Rivera transferred. We would have been crazy not to bring in Rivera, but trying to make 133 for two years hurt his development. I hope he sticks with us because he still has a ton of potential.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Josh Saunders of Cornell takes out Sammy 9-6 in the semi. That said Alvarez looked plenty big for the weight, was considerably taller than Saunders.

Sammy beat him a couple of weeks ago at Nationals in Manalapan. Saunders is better at freestyle than folkstyle.

Can't wait for the season. Just my thinking, This may get people talking

125-Shawver, Peterson, Messina
133-Raimo, Heilmann,Silva, Britton
141-Alvarez,Olivieri,Gapas, Chletsos
149-White, DeSantis,Cetta, Fongaro
157-Clark, Kanniard, Weaver
165-O'Neill, Gayer,Freeman
174-Poz,Turley,
184-Janzer,Soldano
197-Colucci,Epperly,Casale
285-Boone, Hamilton,O'Donnell

174-Poz,Turley,
184-Janzer,Soldano
Hmm we are going to have a lot of good guys sitting in this lineup.. two former AA at 174..so does this mean Poz uses RS, assumin Joey O as well?
-Is Shawver beating Peterson rn and is Raimo proj starter over Heilman(don’t think any of the 4 has rs left)?

It's been very quiet concerning Raimo since he got here. That's probably a good thing .$$$$

Hmm we are going to have a lot of good guys sitting in this lineup.. two former AA at 174..so does this mean Poz uses RS, assumin Joey O as well?
-Is Shawver beating Peterson rn and is Raimo proj starter over Heilman(don’t think any of the 4 has rs left)?
Names are in no special order.
O'Neill will make 165.
Poz 174 if Turley isn't ready.
Finally have good depth

Heavy once again looks weak unless Kyonte can actually wrestle next year. I'm doubtful on that if he keeps getting better at football.

174-Poz,Turley,
184-Janzer,Soldano
Mike, I appreciate you putting this up for discussion. How many of these weight assignments are the kids targeting versus just conjecture on your part? Or is the coach assigning the targets?

Reactions: mikemessner
Looks like he has 2 years left.
I think only one. He wrestled in 2018 and 2019 pre covid. Red shirt in 2020. Medical redshirt in 2021. Wrestled his 3rd year this past season.

I’m pretty sure he’s been in the top 5 rankings at his weight at various points in his career.

Definitely only has 1 year left but he was a R16 guy last year and would be a great pickup.

With that being said, it sounds like Turleys injury was pretty serious and looks like he will be out of commission for a while.

• Wow
Reactions: Leonard23
174 might have another option..This guy is visiting campus this week

Finesilver would make for an excellent one year pickup especially if Turley’s injury is still iffy…. R16 last year and would not surprise me at all if Finesilver had a Bulsak like season here.

If we do get him then Poz can RS, Janzer 184, 197?? Or Poz 184, Janzer 197… also have Soldano/Casale still in play if we wanna burn the RS…

Reactions: LetsGoRUwrestling

174-Poz,Turley,
184-Janzer,Soldano
Your answer to my question was that the kids are voluntarily targeting the weights. I consider that better than being pressured to do it. My reactions to these projected/potential weights are:
125: If Peterson and Shawver can still make 125, great. I give the edge to Shawver because of his experience and demonstrated improvement.
133: Probably Heilmann if Olivieri can't make 133 again. Why not Chletsos here instead of moving up?
141: I sure hope the extra eight pounds takes the stress and strain off Sammy making weight. I give Olivieri a fair chance here.
149: White sure looked good for a frosh. He won the wrestle-off last season, so I expect him to be solid here.
157: Clark was up two weight classes at 165 last season and struggled but also learned from it and has likely improved as a result. Kanniard better show some year-over-year improvement to keep the position.
165: I don't know enough about Gayer. I've asked several times over the past couple of years if O'Neill could make 165 and the response was no each and every time. If he can make 165 while maintaining strength and not becoming another burnout from cutting weight, he could do well here.
174: I fear we will not see much more of Turley. Given whatever was going on with Poz last season, add cutting weight to it and... well, really? Please don't screw the kid up; he has such great potential.
184: Bring back Poz. Maybe Soldano can make the weight but I'd rather see him putting on muscle weight. As strong a wrestler as Soldano is, I think if Poz returns to form, he owns 184.
197: I would rather see Soldano here with some additional muscle put on from time in the gym over the off-season. Let him and Casale compete for it. I give the edge to Soldano.
285: We've got Boone, so develop him where he needs it. Initial word was that Casale was targeting heavy and probably should. He's the only of the strong incoming kids that I think will benefit from a redshirt.

To the usual characters: Try not to get upset that I have opinions.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT