ADVERTISEMENT

Football Saturday Scrimmage Notes & VIDEO: Ash talks scrimmage

Richie O

Hall of Famer
Staff
Mar 21, 2016
South Amboy, NJ
LIMITED: RB Elijah Barnwell, WR Bo Melton, WR Hunter Hayek, TE Travis Vokolek, OL Reggie Sutton, OL Kamaal Seymour DL Julius Turner, DL Micah Clark, LB Austin Rosa, LB Mohamed Toure, DB Malik Dixon

Sitkowski looked solid today in the scrimmage, throwing some solid balls to the wideouts. I wouldn’t say he looked great, but definitely pretty good. This is definitely encouraging after some struggles last week, however the jury is still out on him until he does this in a game that counts.

Quarterback Johnny Langan went LIVE in today’s scrimmage, similar to what former Rutgers QB Tom Flacco did last spring. For those that don’t know, going live means that the QB is free to be tackled unlike the other quarterbacks.

Regarding the back up spot, it is turning into a pretty interesting battle between Langan and Snyder. Neither did much today in the scrimmage. However the fact that the two keep splitting reps tells me Rutgers doesn’t know who will be the number two yet. The depth at the quarterback position is scary thin and could become even worse should Langan not get his waiver.

As far as the running backs go, both Isaih Pacheco and Charles Snorweah looked very good today. They both got into open spaces and broke into open space for big runs.

Tight end Travis Vokolek who was marked out all spring, was doing a lot more on the field work and looked pretty healthy today. He didn’t participate in the scrimmage, but it is encouraging to see him in a white jersey catching some balls. He will play a big time role in the offense this season and personally I could see him being a top three receiver this season when it comes to yardage.

On the flip side, two guys who caught my eye today were CJ Onyechi and Kobe Marfo. Both made some big plays and are expected to play some serious roles in the Scarlet Knights defense this season.

Jarrett Paul is making some solid strides at the safety position and I could see him earning the starting position come spring. Although him, Izien, Barrow and the rest of the group are young, I could see that group making some noise.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.