ADVERTISEMENT

Schedule release date

I saw a rumored schedule on another site. If accurate (who knows) I'd be a little concerned about strength of schedule when compared to some of the Ivy and B1G released schedules from competitors for tourney bids. No ACC games listed and the only Ivy is Princeton. Hopefully Army, Loyola and UMass have strong teams this year. Everything I've read about Army indicates they will.

Army will be good.

Surprised Princeton is coming to us again. They came to us last year.

Lehigh is back on the schedule, as is Hofstra. Schedule will be great from a RPI perspective. None of these game are by accident. A lot of data analysis and projection goes into this.

As always, it will come down to B1G play.

If that schedule is correct, like it. Especially the Stony Brook and Hofstra games, since think the team needs a game or two on LI. Great to have Lehigh and Army, and that Princeton game could be huge.

Army will be good.

Surprised Princeton is coming to us again. They came to us last year.

Lehigh is back on the schedule, as is Hofstra. Schedule will be great from a RPI perspective. None of these game are by accident. A lot of data analysis and projection goes into this.

As always, it will come down to B1G play.

I hope you're right. But I'm seeing the following:

Penn - Georgetown, UNC, Duke + Ivies

Princeton - Maryland, UNC, Duke + Ivies

Hopkins - Denver, Georgetown, UNC, UVA, Syracuse + Big 10

A lot of other schedules haven't been released

Scheduling is very challenging, especially with the B1G's edict that only B1G games are to be played in succession. There are two distinct seasons. OOC and B1G. The B1G is what matters most.

That said, we have some games that are historic. Princeton and Army are long time contests that aren't negotiable. That leaves 4 other games and maybe a midweek game but none of the other big dogs are likely to want to play a midweek game vs us and vice versa. I haven't discussed it very recently but it's been told to a number of us that most of the programs don't want to play. Uva dropped out of their 4 game series after two. Syracuse who we've played many times ran scared the last couple of years and wouldn't keep the series going.

Not sure about Ivy's outside of Princeton but Duke was warm'ish and UNC was willing but the weekend couldn't be found. Don't forget, all of these other schools have other long time series games like we do.

We essentially have 4 slots that have to align with a handful of teams. It's challenging.

Even so, I could see 1 game changing if possible. The schedule is extremely RPI driven. The staff and help look at a lot of data and put it together based on what will give us the best chance at a high RPI.

And don't forget, we play in arguably the best conference, especially this year. Every B1G game is likely to be an RPI boost.

Scheduling is very challenging, especially with the B1G's edict that only B1G games are to be played in succession. There are two distinct seasons. OOC and B1G. The B1G is what matters most.

That said, we have some games that are historic. Princeton and Army are long time contests that aren't negotiable. That leaves 4 other games and maybe a midweek game but none of the other big dogs are likely to want to play a midweek game vs us and vice versa. I haven't discussed it very recently but it's been told to a number of us that most of the programs don't want to play. Uva dropped out of their 4 game series after two. Syracuse who we've played many times ran scared the last couple of years and wouldn't keep the series going.

Not sure about Ivy's outside of Princeton but Duke was warm'ish and UNC was willing but the weekend couldn't be found. Don't forget, all of these other schools have other long time series games like we do.

We essentially have 4 slots that have to align with a handful of teams. It's challenging.

Even so, I could see 1 game changing if possible. The schedule is extremely RPI driven. The staff and help look at a lot of data and put it together based on what will give us the best chance at a high RPI.

And don't forget, we play in arguably the best conference, especially this year. Every B1G game is likely to be an RPI boost.
Thanks for all the insight Cali!
Is there an approximate timeframe for a schedule release?

Reactions: Caliknight

Slotting Brown or Penn into that 1 game replacing one of the LI teams, with both on the schedule in the past, would seem ideal.

I agree. Would love to play Penn. We had a series with Brown that was completed not long ago. Given we scrimmaged them we knew they wouldn't be on the schedule.

I would add Yale to that list as well.

From what has been released so far, looks like the schedule will be something like the below. For conference play, the 3 home games (JHU, OSU, and PSU) and 2 away games (Maryland and Michigan).

Lehigh
Stony Brook
Army
Loyola
Detroit Mercy
Princeton at RU 3/10
UMass
JHU at RU 3/22
OSU at RU 3/30
Maryland or Michigan away 4/6
Maryland or Michigan away 4/13
PSU at RU 4/20

From what has been released so far, looks like the schedule will be something like the below. For conference play, the 3 home games (JHU, OSU, and PSU) and 2 away games (Maryland and Michigan).

Lehigh
Stony Brook
Army
Loyola
Detroit Mercy
Princeton at RU 3/10
UMass
JHU at RU 3/22
OSU at RU 3/30
Maryland or Michigan away 4/6
Maryland or Michigan away 4/13
PSU at RU 4/20
Basically spot on. Well done, man!!

May have to travel to Michigan for that away game. Had tickets to see RU at Michigan before COVID shut down that season.

Not a bad schedule, especially if Army, Loyola, and Princeton have the seasons we think that may have.

Interesting that the UMASS game is on Long Island at Farmingdale. Assuming that is SUNY Farmingdale, which for a small SUNY school, has a really nice sports complex and stadium. My kids played a ton of lacrosse tourneys there.
Gotta be a recruiting strategy to be giving up a home game to do this. I guess we want to expose our program to LI recruits and this is a way to do that.

Reactions: Wagram97
I just realized we aren't playing St. John's anymore. Honestly that's a game I am happy to see go away. No benefit to playing them IMO. Would rather play Stony Brook than St. John's every year if we insist on playing a game vs a Long Island school for recruiting purposes.

Last edited:
Interesting that the UMASS game is on Long Island at Farmingdale. Assuming that is SUNY Farmingdale, which for a small SUNY school, has a really nice sports complex and stadium. My kids played a ton of lacrosse tourneys there.

UMass used to recruit Nassau CC hard so I don't think they would object.

Reactions: Wagram97
I just realized we aren't playing St. John's anymore. Honestly that's a game I am happy to see go away. No benefit to playing them IMO. Would rather play Stony Brook than St. John's every year if we insist on playing a game vs a Long Island school for recruiting purposes.
On a related note, I just got back from an Orlando tournament with my son and two LI teams played for the title in the 26 AA bracket. The tournament was stacked from top to bottom too. Laxachussets, Cherries, Sweetlax and more so I get playing a game in NY.

On a related note, I just got back from an Orlando tournament with my son and two LI teams played for the title in the 26 AA bracket. The tournament was stacked from top to bottom too. Laxachussets, Cherries, Sweetlax and more so I get playing a game in NY.
The Cherries were there? That’s where my guys played. Brennan was on the first Cherries team ever assembled…I know the guys that run it very well. Local guys here in metro Detroit. They grew up on LI and spent a lot of time in NJ and around Rutgers.

Feels like a lifetime ago being on those tournament fields. Man I’ve watched a lot of lacrosse…

This is my last season starting in Feb…man I’ll miss it

The Cherries were there? That’s where my guys played. Brennan was on the first Cherries team ever assembled…I know the guys that run it very well. Local guys here in metro Detroit. They grew up on LI and spent a lot of time in NJ and around Rutgers.

Feels like a lifetime ago being on those tournament fields. Man I’ve watched a lot of lacrosse…

This is my last season starting in Feb…man I’ll miss it
Yup they were there.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT