ADVERTISEMENT

Schiano Contract Terms

I would argue that true class would be paying for your family's clothes while also donating clothes and funding to help clothe those who cannot afford to purchase them.

Super-classy would be contributing so much in charitable donations that the resulting tax deductions entirely offset your tax burden thus not being subject to any stupid shit government might do with collected tax revenue.

Money is, after all, the root of all evil and we can't take it with us. Remember: it actually has to be virtuous for it to be virtue signaling. 😉
I agree but I think you missed my point a tad

lol, triggered karen I see

tell me where I'm wrong when you get your emotions in check like an adult
Ok I'll give it a try. First off, regarding your Karen comment, I am not the one who is on here day after day with inane senseless crap. Secondly, I know you realize the Tenn thing took on an ugly tone involving even the now Gov. of Arkansas. But you felt the need to try and fuel fires with it. And no I am not going to get into a back and forth with you so don't waste your time. You are not worth it!

Reactions: FastMJ
Yep. Made an 8 year bed now we have to at least sleep in it for 5.
Back when I was arguing against hiring GS 2.0, part of my reasoning was purely selfish - I find all the teeth-gnashing and lynch-mobbing and woe-is-me posting irritating. Like, it's bad enough that the team is struggling. Why do people think all this public agonizing and demonization is going to somehow help? It pretty obvious that all it's doing is dialing up the participants' misery to 11.

The most likely outcome of hiring ANY coach was going to be exactly what we're seeing now. Initial excitement fueled recruiting success followed by the realization of the immensity of the challenge and recognition that no matter whom the coach is, righting the ship was going to take a lot of years, some of which would suck. If it was easy to win a lot in the Big Ten East, we would've done it already.

Fans want instant relief. But it was like 99 to 1 against that happening here, at RUFB's exact circumstance. And the NIL and transfer portal rule changes complicate things even more.

If GS stays or goes, it makes no difference to me. But I will point out that firing him and hiring someone else does nothing to alter the challenge. Old guy or new guy, it'll still be extremely hard to produce great recruiting classes here at RU and to win games in the Big Ten East.

OTOH, the conference will be shuffled around in a couple years. So perhaps that might mean an easing of the schedule and better odds of producing 6+ win seasons. OTOOH, we just got blown out by MD whom our fans mostly view as "beatable".

No matter whom the coach is, we're gonna need more luck than we've been having to get that winning season to help with recruiting. All we can do is hope it's next season.

If I recall correctly, didn't initial negotiations with GS breakdown over money? I thought the compromise was more years for less $ per year. There is no more "program" building in the same sense of what GS tried to do the first time around. In some respects given the increase ability of players to move around, I think you can figure out more quickly whether someone is going to have success or not.

Reactions: RUaMoose
Back when I was arguing against hiring GS 2.0, part of my reasoning was purely selfish - I find all the teeth-gnashing and lynch-mobbing and woe-is-me posting irritating. Like, it's bad enough that the team is struggling. Why do people think all this public agonizing and demonization is going to somehow help? It pretty obvious that all it's doing is dialing up the participants' misery to 11.

The most likely outcome of hiring ANY coach was going to be exactly what we're seeing now. Initial excitement fueled recruiting success followed by the realization of the immensity of the challenge and recognition that no matter whom the coach is, righting the ship was going to take a lot of years, some of which would suck. If it was easy to win a lot in the Big Ten East, we would've done it already.

Fans want instant relief. But it was like 99 to 1 against that happening here, at RUFB's exact circumstance. And the NIL and transfer portal rule changes complicate things even more.

If GS stays or goes, it makes no difference to me. But I will point out that firing him and hiring someone else does nothing to alter the challenge. Old guy or new guy, it'll still be extremely hard to produce great recruiting classes here at RU and to win games in the Big Ten East.

OTOH, the conference will be shuffled around in a couple years. So perhaps that might mean an easing of the schedule and better odds of producing 6+ win seasons. OTOOH, we just got blown out by MD whom our fans mostly view as "beatable".

No matter whom the coach is, we're gonna need more luck than we've been having to get that winning season to help with recruiting. All we can do is hope it's next season.
Very well put. I try not to get caught up in the mob mentality but sometimes it drags me in. I never thought it would be an easy mountain to climb to respectability. I knew it would take time.
The only issue I had this year was the way the team lost. We don't need to rehash the details. On many occasion it was not due to a lack of talent. The team was clearly out coached in multiple losses. That is what irritates me. I expected 4-5 wins this year. So we were not far off expectations. I have high hopes for next year if we can take care of the offensive side of the ball.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Very well put. I try not to get caught up in the mob mentality but sometimes it drags me in. I never thought it would be an easy mountain to climb to respectability. I knew it would take time.
The only issue I had this year was the way the team lost. We don't need to rehash the details. On many occasion it was not due to a lack of talent. The team was clearly out coached in multiple losses. That is what irritates me. I expected 4-5 wins this year. So we were not far off expectations. I have high hopes for next year if we can take care of the offensive side of the ball.
I think we have the possibility to hit 6 wins next season, but it'll require luck on the injury front. We will have a little more depth, but will still lack the depth required to survive injuries to our best players.

If we experience some loss of key players in the transfer portal, that could alter my prediction. And I think we'll likely need a few transfers in, especially at WR, TE, DL, and LB.

And it goes without saying we have to figure out how to produce a competent offense, at least in games against the non-elite teams. I know people are down on our QB room, but we had issues at every position on O. And when that happens, nobody winds up looking good, players or coaches - it becomes hard to know exactly whom screwed up on a lot of plays.

Also, somebody please tell Wimsatt that, when he's throwing the ball away, he should just heave it out to the side rather than intentionally overthrowing the WR downfield and out of bounds just to demonstrate his arm strength. Half our fans watch those intentional throwaways and count those among his actual inaccurate passes. Irritating. LOL

Class would be paying for your own and your families own clothes. Class would be not nickle and diming the taxpayer for stupid shit
class woulds be not spreading rumors .
class would be thinking of family and friends, but also having caring and empathy for the disadvantaged and be willing to help them as much as you do for business tax breaks given to highly profitable corporations.

Also class might be not posting about paying for your own clothes or nickle and diming anything unless it's related to to the issue on hand .
Class would not be trying to find an excuse for doing so.

So besides what you posted, I feel this reply might be considered a classiness part of a hijack started by you.

Ok I'll give it a try. First off, regarding your Karen comment, I am not the one who is on here day after day with inane senseless crap. Secondly, I know you realize the Tenn thing took on an ugly tone involving even the now Gov. of Arkansas. But you felt the need to try and fuel fires with it. And no I am not going to get into a back and forth with you so don't waste your time. You are not worth it!
Lol like I said, triggered karen

class woulds be not spreading rumors .
class would be thinking of family and friends, but also having caring and empathy for the disadvantaged and be willing to help them as much as you do for business tax breaks given to highly profitable corporations.

Also class might be not posting about paying for your own clothes or nickle and diming anything unless it's related to to the issue on hand .
Class would not be trying to find an excuse for doing so.

So besides what you posted, I feel this reply might be considered a classiness part of a hijack started by you.
Ba ba, you're just upset because it's Greg otherwise you'd give 2 ?hits. TN fans were right to throw a fit

Reactions: RUaMoose
I have no problem with the CC membership. Just don’t say it’s for fund raising. That’s a joke.

He also has to get into a club. Has he been accepted to one of the big ones there?
He already hosted a fund raising event at his club. It’s usually in August if you want to play in the outing.

Reactions: Caliknight
There are plenty of 250-500 clubs. But even Baltusrol, Plainfield, Somerset(the elites) near Rutgers are more about the exclusivity than the price tag. Not saying they are cheap but they are more the legacy type club, third fourth generation type places. Dont need to raise prices to keep people out because you’re not getting in anyway. Hahahahah
Similar here at Bel Air and LA.

Wasn’t the case before COVID.
Yes it was. Elite clubs all have waiting lists. Agree Covid changed the game for the next level club. Now most clubs have waiting lists. Could have walked into many clubs and have tee in ground as soon as members interview and check cleared. Now you are looking at waiting lists at most next level clubs.

Yes it was. Elite clubs all have waiting lists. Agree Covid changed the game for the next level club. Now most clubs have waiting lists. Could have walked into many clubs and have tee in ground as soon as members interview and check cleared. Now you are looking at waiting lists at most next level clubs.
Elite clubs needed members as well. They just recruit members differently. But now most clubs are full sticker and a waitlist. Have a feeling there will be a shake out there as well.

You can download the link in the pdf if you have a Scribd subscription, but not giving my credit card for their free preview. Can scroll through it in the Patch article. It is the MOU signed in 2019, but the MOU became the contract.

There was a discussion in another thread about hiring/firing staff. The AD has power to approve/disapprove who Greg hires and fires:

"Assistant Coaching, Football Support Staff Positions and Strength and Conditioning Coaches (hereinafter referred to as “Staff”)

With the consent of the Director, which the Director acknowledges shall not be withheld without reason, you shall have the authority to designate, hire, and terminate prospective members of your Staff (including support staff). Such hires shall be done in accordance with University and Athletics policy and practice, and any relevant statutes, rules or regulations."

As far as buyout:

The buyout stands at 76.875 percent of his remaining contract, starting at $24.6 million. That formula would then decrease the buyout to:

-- $18.45 million if he's fired after the 2021 season
-- $15.375 million after 2022
-- $12.3 million after 2023
-- $9.225 million after 2024
-- $6.15 million after 2025
-- $3.075 million after 2026
-- nothing after the final year of his contract, 2027

On Schiano's end, he would owe $8 million if he leaves before Dec. 1 of next year and decreasing by $2 million a year until 2025, when it flattens to $1 million.

Ash's buyout was $8.5 million, when RU was in a much worse financial position.

Not suggesting Greg should be fired now. But if 2023 is another poor year, or into 2024, it would seem to be not financially prohibitive.

Damn, boy, look at you!

Elite clubs needed members as well. They just recruit members differently. But now most clubs are full sticker and a waitlist. Have a feeling there will be a shake out there as well.
If you say so. Which “elite clubs” are you talking about? Because the ones I named above have always had waiting lists as far back as 20 years ago when I went through the process. Yes shakeout is imminent and has started in some regions.

Last edited:
Damn, boy, look at you!
Those words conjured up this scene from a movie that should have won a lot more academy awards:

e98e38df-6acb-486a-b1cc-137180ba82de_text.gif

If you say so. Which “elite clubs” are you talking about? Because the ones I named above have always had waiting lists as far back as 20 years ago when I went through the process.
Personally know someone that joined Baltusrol in 2020.

Personally know someone that joined Baltusrol in 2020.
He must have been a really special person. I know a couple of members and one couldn’t get his partner (large pe firm) moved up on the list.

Last edited:
Was invited to a fundraiser at El Caballero CC. Assume it was a nice track because they were asking for big $$$
Meh. Bel Air LA Riv are first tier. Lakeside and Hillcrest second tier. El Cab isn’t bad it’s just not those clubs.

Yep then you have Liberty and Bayonne where it’s less about legacy and more about the check.
A few of those clubs out here. Mostly in the desert and San Diego. Top clubs in LA don’t need your money. It’s more about who and what you are. LA Riv and Bel Air have very different memberships.

and to think everyone was blasting TN fanbase
Didn’t have a problem, they didn’t like the hire and voice their opinion.The final decision wasn’t the fans but the AD. If hired he would have been gone in 2 years

Reactions: RUTGERS95
Didn’t have a problem, they didn’t like the hire and voice their opinion.The final decision wasn’t the fans but the AD. If hired he would have been gone in 2 years
agree
results aside, his style I don't think would have worked there

I’m fine with GS coaching through 2026’s season.

Success is not sustainable in the BiG for football so I’d rather not throw good money after bad by buying out GS for multiple years and hiring another stiff.

I’m fine with GS coaching through 2026’s season.

Success is not sustainable in the BiG for football so I’d rather not throw good money after bad by buying out GS for multiple years and hiring another stiff.
Let's not give up on RU being a successful B1G FB program.
I'm hoping a little success will help bring in boosters willing to pay the price to help make Rutgers Football able to compete on an equal bases with the best of the B1G

I don't know if Schiano is a good enough HC to run a top program, but I feel Greg is the type of coach that can point RU's FB program in the right direction and leave a program the kind that can be a force in the B1G by the time he is replaced.

Most people were upset because they were running Schiano's name through the mud and accusing him of being complicit with the JoePa/Sandusky crimes. It had nothing to do with his coaching skill. This is quite the revisionist history here.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT