ADVERTISEMENT

Schiano Contract Terms

Knight Shift

Legend
May 19, 2011
Jersey Shore
You can download the link in the pdf if you have a Scribd subscription, but not giving my credit card for their free preview. Can scroll through it in the Patch article. It is the MOU signed in 2019, but the MOU became the contract.

There was a discussion in another thread about hiring/firing staff. The AD has power to approve/disapprove who Greg hires and fires:

"Assistant Coaching, Football Support Staff Positions and Strength and Conditioning Coaches (hereinafter referred to as “Staff”)

With the consent of the Director, which the Director acknowledges shall not be withheld without reason, you shall have the authority to designate, hire, and terminate prospective members of your Staff (including support staff). Such hires shall be done in accordance with University and Athletics policy and practice, and any relevant statutes, rules or regulations."

As far as buyout:

The buyout stands at 76.875 percent of his remaining contract, starting at $24.6 million. That formula would then decrease the buyout to:

-- $18.45 million if he's fired after the 2021 season
-- $15.375 million after 2022
-- $12.3 million after 2023
-- $9.225 million after 2024
-- $6.15 million after 2025
-- $3.075 million after 2026
-- nothing after the final year of his contract, 2027

On Schiano's end, he would owe $8 million if he leaves before Dec. 1 of next year and decreasing by $2 million a year until 2025, when it flattens to $1 million.

Ash's buyout was $8.5 million, when RU was in a much worse financial position.

Not suggesting Greg should be fired now. But if 2023 is another poor year, or into 2024, it would seem to be not financially prohibitive.

You can download the link in the pdf if you have a Scribd subscription, but not giving my credit card for their free preview. Can scroll through it in the Patch article. It is the MOU signed in 2019, but the MOU became the contract.

There was a discussion in another thread about hiring/firing staff. The AD has power to approve/disapprove who Greg hires and fires:

"Assistant Coaching, Football Support Staff Positions and Strength and Conditioning Coaches (hereinafter referred to as “Staff”)

With the consent of the Director, which the Director acknowledges shall not be withheld without reason, you shall have the authority to designate, hire, and terminate prospective members of your Staff (including support staff). Such hires shall be done in accordance with University and Athletics policy and practice, and any relevant statutes, rules or regulations."

As far as buyout:

The buyout stands at 76.875 percent of his remaining contract, starting at $24.6 million. That formula would then decrease the buyout to:

On Schiano's end, he would owe $8 million if he leaves before Dec. 1 of next year and decreasing by $2 million a year until 2025, when it flattens to $1 million.

Not suggesting Greg should be fired now. But if 2023 is another poor year, or into 2024, it would seem to be not financially prohibitive.

That’s what I said in one of the other threads. We have precedent already that we’ll find the money if needed. We weren’t a full member back then either and the B10 tv contract is about to get a boost next year too. If necessary IMO we would pay the 12M or 9M and it’s paid out over the life of the contract as far as I know, not a lump sum. That would be similar to Ash. I’d guess there would be offsets for any future employment as well.

Watch what he does in the off season. He needs to hit the portal very hard for QB and more offensive talent. He’s not getting carte Blanche to rebuild here in 7-8 years. This year was a step back. Next year is huge for program and Schiano. There are younger, more offensive minded coaches who would be interested

As far as buyout:

Thanks KS, based on this I expect we either hit a bowl in two years or he is fired and we bite the bullet of $9M. We should have more money then and the average B10 salary will probably be north of $6M so it won't look too bad. It helps a little that we seemed to have signed him before some crazy coaching salaries took off. This offseason will be telling on how the next two years will go.

As far as buyout:

The contractual guarantees here are just ... wow. You wonder why the anti-football folks get up in arms.

Thanks KS, based on this I expect we either hit a bowl in two years or he is fired and we bite the bullet of $9M. We should have more money then and the average B10 salary will probably be north of $6M so it won't look too bad. It helps a little that we seemed to have signed him before some crazy coaching salaries took off. This offseason will be telling on how the next two years will go.
New Rutgers, I don’t think the $12M is too high either.
The contractual guarantees here are just ... wow. You wonder why the anti-football folks get up in arms.
Indeed. It’s very understandable when you read the actual details.

Not a RU1000 fan by any means but when you see it, come on, man.

As far as buyout:

Rutgers will have an easier schedule in 2024, when we don't have to play a Big Ten East Division Schedule!

Reactions: rutger80
The country club thing is comical. No real club with people of means would appreciate a football coach trying to fund raise. You get kicked out for stuff like that.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Just like I don't want HC Schiano micromanaging the offensive position coaches (let the OC pick his staff), don't want AD Hobbs micromanaging who HC Schiano wants to hire.

Note - however, AD Hobbs should have fired HC Ash the moment he wanted to hire OC Kill.

Just like I don't want HC Schiano micromanaging the offensive position coaches (let the OC pick his staff), don't want AD Hobbs micromanaging who HC Schiano wants to hire.

Note - however, AD Hobbs should have fired HC Ash the moment he wanted to hire OC Kill.
?

Because of his health issues? Certainly not a coaching one.

The country club thing is comical. No real club with people of means would appreciate a football coach trying to fund raise. You get kicked out for stuff like that.
Exactly. I know people that have been kicked out of clubs for having quasi fundraising events. One thing to develop relationships another to actively fund raise.

Reactions: Caliknight

I'm sure it's standard procedure but he's making $4 million a year.
Does he really also need a $5,000 appereal stipend or paid country club membership?

Everyone acts like NIL donations are evil (paying for a player to buy a car) and acts like all AD donations/spending go towards the benefits of all athletes and buildings that will last 100 years.

Nope. AD is also spending money to pay for HC Schiano's shirt and pants.
I think everyone would agree that the $5000 apparel would be better spent on NIL.

?

Because of his health issues? Certainly not a coaching one.

No of course not health.

Absolutely a coaching one.
Because of his offensive philosophy - run, kill the clock, no passing, win games 3-0.
He talked more about our defense in his press interviews than the actual offense he was in charge of.

Does he really also need a $5,000 appereal stipend or paid country club membership?

Everyone acts like NIL donations are evil (paying for a player to buy a car) and acts like all AD donations/spending go towards the benefits of all athletes and buildings that will last 100 years.

I think everyone would agree that the $5000 apparel would be better spent on NIL.
All of these (country club, clothing allowances, cars etc..)are normal not only in coaching contracts but are fairly normal in most c-level executive contracts. Was on a finance committee for a church. Don’t even want to talk about what allowances were included in those financials.

Exactly. I know people that have been kicked out of clubs for having quasi fundraising events. One thing to develop relationships another to actively fund raise.
Fundraising events on Mondays at all the clubs. Don’t be silly. Played at Somerset Hills, West Chester, and Plainfield this past summer.

Fundraising events on Mondays at all the clubs. Don’t be silly. Played at Somerset Hills, West Chester, and Plainfield this past summer.
Big difference between an outing raising money and actively soliciting funds from members of the club. So don’t be silly!!! Haahahah

Reactions: Knightmoves
Big difference between an outing raising money and actively soliciting funds from members of the club. So don’t be silly!!! Haahahah
And you think he is doing the latter? LMAO btw, he hosted a fundraiser on a Monday at his club this summer.

And you think he is doing the latter? LMAO btw, he hosted a fundraiser on a Monday at his club this summer.
I responded to a post that said fund raising internal members is a no no. If you think it is not then you are not a member of a club. Because that is pretty much rule number 1.

He had an outing at a club on a Monday. I know I was there. I play in roughly 5-6 charity events a year. I organize 2 additional golf outings at premiere locations. As part of the contract it states to not openly solicit members of those clubs.

I responded to a post that said fund raising internal members is a no no. If you think it is not then you are not a member of a club. Because that is pretty much rule number 1.

He had an outing at a club on a Monday. I know I was there. I play in roughly 5-6 charity events a year. I organize 2 additional golf outings at premiere locations. As part of the contract it states to not openly solicit members of those clubs.
I agree it’s not allowed but I also think it’s stupid to suggest GS is doing that. He is probably the highest earner at that club. Glad you made the outing. In actuality, most members bring non-members to raise money.

I agree it’s not allowed but I also think it’s stupid to suggest GS is doing that. He is probably the highest earner at that club. Glad you made the outing. In actuality, most members bring non-members to raise money.
Didn’t suggest anything. Responded to a post. Very few members attend Monday outings at their own club unless it is their charity of choice.

lol, triggered karen I see

tell me where I'm wrong when you get your emotions in check like an adult
You’re wrong because they were attacking Greg’s character, not his coaching ability.

As an aside, anyone using the phrase “lol, triggered Karen” probably spends too much time involved in online pissing matches.

Reactions: charliem24

How about Kill as head coach? 163-110 lifetime record. Kill went 5-6 in his first year as HC at New Mexico State this year, and they were 2-10 the year before. They whooped Liberty 49-14 yesterday.

Khakis and Adidas- provided tops for the games are expensive. 😜

Heard of a guy two days ago who got kicked out of a prominent. Club here for calling a fellow member to see if they were interested in his business.

Business definitely happens at clubs but it’s organic. Actively trying to fundraise is a huge no no.

Heard of a guy two days ago who got kicked out of a prominent. Club here for calling a fellow member to see if they were interested in his business.
Yep. I know of 2 families at one club that got the boot for political campaigning/fundraising and one at another for “soliciting” members. Not sure I want to know the details on that one. Haahahah.

and to think everyone was blasting TN fanbase
You’re wrong because they were attacking Greg’s character, not his coaching ability.

As an aside, anyone using the phrase “lol, triggered Karen” probably spends too much time involved in online pissing matches.
Meanwhile the "character" coach Jeremy Pritt they hired instead was fired for cause for reported recruiting violations.

"UT agreed generally that rules were broken and that almost $60,000 of cash or gifts were provided to players and their families by Pruitt, his wife and numerous coaches, recruiting staff and at least one booster."

You can't make this stuff up!

That's also wrong. It was half of it. Many were and many used it as an obstruction because they didn't think he was good enough. All you have to do to is google it.

I didn't think 95 meant it in any other way than they didn't think he was good.
Response was an over reaction.

Hey it costs money to replace the laundry he leaves on the field each week getting coached out of his pants by the other team.

Hey it costs money to replace the laundry he leaves on the field each week getting coached out of his pants by the other team.
I thought you might be referring to the yellow rags all over the field when RU racks up multiple penalties per game. Is that part of his budget?

That's also wrong. It was half of it. Many were and many used it as an obstruction because they didn't think he was good enough. All you have to do to is google it.

I didn't think 95 meant it in any other way than they didn't think he was good.
Response was an over reaction.
So by wrong, you mean partly correct.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT