ADVERTISEMENT

Schiano "leading candidate" for Miami job

I liked the initial "Uncle Vito" responses. The CBS and ESPN reports strike me as speculation and nothing more. It's too early for the athletic department to even start to think through who the replacement for Golden will be.

This is *my* speculation, but I don't see why Schiano would want to come back here. How often does a coach go to the NFL and back to the team he was with? My guess is that his abrupt department burned bridges for him here. And Schiano knows our situation well, and knows that Rutgers is unlikely to want to give him the same package he had before.

The U will always be my 2nd favorite team. Hated all the PSU & ND puffy coats in grade school/high school. Never saw any Rutgers gear.

I liked the initial "Uncle Vito" responses. The CBS and ESPN reports strike me as speculation and nothing more. It's too early for the athletic department to even start to think through who the replacement for Golden will be.

This is *my* speculation, but I don't see why Schiano would want to come back here. How often does a coach go to the NFL and back to the team he was with? My guess is that his abrupt department burned bridges for him here. And Schiano knows our situation well, and knows that Rutgers is unlikely to want to give him the same package he had before.

Isnt that crazy? We could afford to pay Schiano well around $2.5 mil when were were making $3mil/year on TV, but not now when we will be making $40 mil annual in a few years, we cant pay him (or anyone else).

Sorry, they don't play their g ames on campus, and playing 45 min away is an issue. They need an on campus stadium. Yes, winning helps to fill stands, but there is a facilities war going on in college sports, and with few exceptions, you keep up or lose.

Miami doesn't need facilities because their campus is one of the nicest in America. the place to me is like paradise. their S&C facilities are roughly equivalent to ours. they had the #26 recruiting class in america, with al golden on the hot seat.

they've never played their games on campus and their games are still 45 minutes away, though a longer distance, though its easier to find parking. Miami can get more players than they know what to do with.
Many players within the 3 counties of dade, broward, and palm beach grow up cane fans.

I would expect him to be a candidate. I don't know that I agree with the "leading" part.

Isnt that crazy? We could afford to pay Schiano well around $2.5 mil when were were making $3mil/year on TV, but not now when we will be making $40 mil annual in a few years, we cant pay him (or anyone else).
It was before the "revenue neutral" mandate from the powers in Trenton.

Here's what Golden had to contend with.
Football program penalties:
• Reduction of football scholarship by a combined total of nine during the 2014-15, 2015-16 and 2016-17 seasons.
• Miami may only provide a prospect on unofficial visits complementary tickets for one home game during the 2014-15 and 2015-16 seasons.

Self-imposed by the university:
• Two-year bowl ban following the 2011 and 2012 seasons, including the 2012 ACC Championship Game.
• Reduction of official paid visits for 2012-13 by 20 percent to a total of 36 visits.
• Reduction of fall evaluations in 2012-13 by six (from 42 to 36).
• Reduction of available contact days during the 2012-13 contact period by 20 percent.

what CBS said about Schiano
Greg Schiano, NFL analyst, former Rutgers and Tampa Bay Buccaneers coach: Makes sense as the No. 1 candidate at the moment mostly because he's available and interested. Knows the territory. Hell, recruited the heck out of the territory while at Rutgers. Schiano is a hard-driving boss who builds inner toughness, but he gets results. At least he did until the NFL. James can end the search fairly quickly, unless the Dolphins beat him to Schiano.
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...f-12-candidates-to-replace-al-golden-at-miami

Reactions: retired711
I lived in Miami for 6 years, 2 of which were spent at the University, so I know the area and University very well, which is why I'm calling you on your BS. What you don't seem to understand is people will attend games as long as it is an *event*.
Calm down Al, I have never seen you like this before.

Schiano in a heartbeat. Like to see him have a shot in the B1G. Golden firing unfair.

It was before the "revenue neutral" mandate from the powers in Trenton.
No, I think that mandate comes from Old Queens, not Trenton. Barchi is really determined to end the subsidy by the Board of Governors. (I don't know if he cares so much about the subsidy from student fees.)

We aren't making near $40MM a year yet. When we do, things will change. The administration has set forth the mandate that the department be revenue neutral. That wasn't the case when GS had a $2.5MM salary, which is pretty average now with the company keep, if that.

There is no proof the university won't pay for a coach. Everyone likes to assume.

And you what they say about people who assume.

Again, Flood's support is limited to Towers, the 5%....and Barchi on the condition of cheapness. As we all know for a fact, Barchi agreed to allow JH to replace him based on the donors paying two years ago. Now, Flood's personal booster signed on to relieve RU of his buyout anyway.

And the donors outside from Towers have absolutely had it with Flood's on and off the field antics.

If Greg Brown wanted Greg Schiano here, you can best bet, Greg Schiano will be head coach of RU next year. Or if they rally for someone else, he will be here.

Flood is cooked. The Floodies just want to go down kicking and screaming. They are drama queens.

And you what they say about people who assume.

Again, Flood's support is limited to Towers, the 5%....and Barchi on the condition of cheapness. As we all know for a fact, Barchi agreed to allow JH to replace him based on the donors paying two years ago. Now, Flood's personal booster signed on to relieve RU of his buyout anyway.

And the donors outside from Towers have absolutely had it with Flood's on and off the field antics.

If Greg Brown wanted Greg Schiano here, you can best bet, Greg Schiano will be head coach of RU next year. Or if they rally for someone else, he will be here.

Flood is cooked. The Floodies just want to go down kicking and screaming. They are drama queens.

I agree. We were paying Schiano something like $1-1.5mm more than Flood. Since joining the B1G, between all the increased donations and the B1G money, we are easily bringing in an extra $1.5mm+. But most importantly, to your point, if JH can't get $1.5mm extra from the donors, than we have bigger problems. $1.5mm is peanuts.

I agree. We were paying Schiano something like $1-1.5mm more than Flood. Since joining the B1G, between all the increased donations and the B1G money, we are easily bringing in an extra $1.5mm+. But most importantly, to your point, if JH can't get $1.5mm extra from the donors, than we have bigger problems. $1.5mm is peanuts.

All the extra money does is lower the subsidy. It doesn't allow a surplus to pay double the rate for the head coach, while paying off the former.

Anyone expecting to see Flood fired this year has no understanding of what is going on at Rutgers.

Yes Schiano made around $1.5 mil more, but what was the difference in pay used for after Flood was hired on the cheap.
Pernetti had to cut the student subsidies going towards athletics and there went a good chunk, if not all, of that money.

Hermann is under the same obligation, Barchi wants the subsidies reduced every year until the Athletic Department doesn't receive any or a very small amount.

By the way, the last two RU ADs had a hard time getting boosters to step up , Julie isn't going to change how RU Boosters give overnight, if Mulcahy and Pernetti failed to do so despite the hype surrounding RU FB when they were building the program and going after a B1G invite.
Barchi wants that money go into the academic side and the Athletic side pay its own way.
Unless boosters step up ( like Towers did with Flood) RU will be hiring its coaches on the cheap and that includes replacing Flood if that happens.
Don't expect Barchi agree to buy out Flood then pay the market rate for a qualified candidate to take the RU HC position

All I know is, if Schiano does go to Miami, inside of two years there'll be the largest flood of "I told you so's" mankind has ever seen.....from one side or the other.

All I know is, if Schiano does go to Miami, inside of two years there'll be the largest flood of "I told you so's" mankind has ever seen.....from one side or the other.
This board will have so many Schiano threads after a Miami game, you'd think it was a U board[roll]

Yes Schiano made around $1.5 mil more, but what was the difference in pay used for after Flood was hired on the cheap.
Pernetti had to cut the student subsidies going towards athletics and there went a good chunk, if not all, of that money.

Hermann is under the same obligation, Barchi wants the subsidies reduced every year until the Athletic Department doesn't receive any or a very small amount.

By the way, the last two RU ADs had a hard time getting boosters to step up , Julie isn't going to change how RU Boosters give overnight, if Mulcahy and Pernetti failed to do so despite the hype surrounding RU FB when they were building the program and going after a B1G invite.
Barchi wants that money go into the academic side and the Athletic side pay its own way.
Unless boosters step up ( like Towers did with Flood) RU will be hiring its coaches on the cheap and that includes replacing Flood if that happens.
Don't expect Barchi agree to buy out Flood then pay the market rate for a qualified candidate to take the RU HC position

We are probably never going to eliminate the subsidies, even after B1G money. Hardly any schools do. Barchi wants to reduce it, but I think he also understands that we have a pretty big bill to pay off in the stadium expansion and there's not too much to cut. There is not much to cut from the program. If Barchi is so worried about pinching pennies then he would have never canned Pernetti. He had no problem spending what, like $1.5mm to force him out?

All I'm saying is if JH put a powerpoint in front of Barchi showing the increased revenue between ticket sales and donations, the potential increase in revenues with a winning program, paired up with Flood's failures....I don't think Barchi would be against a new coach as much as some of you say he would be.

Couple points here.

1) GS was the leading candidate for all the jobs last year. His agent gets his name out there and does a great job.

2) If GS gets a job in Miami this can't be a positive thing for us. Even if he picks off 2 recruits a year from NJ that doesn't help us.

3) If I were Greg I am not sure I really take this job as he will get 2 years and that is it. If he doesn't have and ACC championship in 2 years he will be fired and his career is pretty much done.

I think it is a reach to leading candidate for all the jobs last year.

We are probably never going to eliminate the subsidies, even after B1G money. Hardly any schools do. Barchi wants to reduce it, but I think he also understands that we have a pretty big bill to pay off in the stadium expansion and there's not too much to cut. There is not much to cut from the program. If Barchi is so worried about pinching pennies then he would have never canned Pernetti. He had no problem spending what, like $1.5mm to force him out?

All I'm saying is if JH put a powerpoint in front of Barchi showing the increased revenue between ticket sales and donations, the potential increase in revenues with a winning program, paired up with Flood's failures....I don't think Barchi would be against a new coach as much as some of you say he would be.
You don't think that's been done already?

You give Barchi way too much credit. When it comes to athletics he is a total fool.

Reactions: Blitz8RUCrazy
Barichi is out in 2016 (I think), A coaching change at the end of 2016 season makes more sense (though we should have a good year that year so maybe no change due to performance).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT