ADVERTISEMENT

Scott Vallone as an assistant

Him and Charlie Noonan were great team players and great advocates for the program. I’m sure they’ll be considered in addition to guys like Steve Shimko, David Rowe, tiquan Underwood who are moving up the ranks as assistant coaches.

Good to have young coaches who can relate to our kids and most importantly recruit and sell not only vision but experiences of being a Schiano player to prospects and players.

Him and Charlie Noonan were great team players and great advocates for the program. I’m sure they’ll be considered in addition to guys like Steve Shimko, David Rowe, tiquan Underwood who are moving up the ranks as assistant coaches.

Good to have young coaches who can relate to our kids and most importantly recruit and sell not only vision but experiences of being a Schiano player to prospects and players.
To me, he’s the quintessential Schiano era d lineman. Hard nosed as they come. Bobby Deren used to say in his time covering Rutgers football Vallone is the guy he’d most want on his side in a dark alley.

Last edited:
I think he was DC at St.Lawrence after short stint as DL coach before he moved on to Fordham. Wasnt he a volunteer or grad coach here as well? ..he is building a resume that could put him in to a position coach here, possibly.

I think he was DC at St.Lawrence after short stint as DL coach before he moved on to Fordham. Wasnt he a volunteer or grad coach here as well? ..he is building a resume that could put him in to a position coach here, possibly.

He was a GA here.

Let me tell you my favorite Scott Vallone story.

My son and I drove to the Papa Johns' Bowl from South Jersey. After the game we're hanging out in the bar when some of the players come out. Vallone sits down at the table across from me. Really nice guy, we're talking about the game. There's one play where the NC State QB hits a tight-end on a 20 yard TD to the corner. The only Rutgers player in the picture is Vallone who's about three strides behind. So I ask him, in what kind of crazy Schiano coverage does he have his DT man to man on the TE? Vallone responds, "Dammit I knew people were going to think that was my man and I got beat." I asked him what happened. He said, "I just saw him running free across the middle with no one on him and I took off after him." After about twenty yards he closed the gap to three strides. A DT.

That's what kind of player Scott Vallone was. He'll make a great coach.

I want names that impress and resonate and bring a proven and qualified skill set.

With all due respect we have to shoot higher and get past the "he was good at Rutgers so lets bring him back" mode.

Working art big time program? Ok. NFL experience? Ok. St.Lawrence? Fordham?
We've had plenty of experience with coaches from Maine, New Hampshire, and the like. We need less nice and more badass. Sorry.

Reactions: knightfan7
I want names that impress and resonate and bring a proven and qualified skill set.

With all due respect we have to shoot higher and get past the "he was good at Rutgers so lets bring him back" mode.

We've had plenty of experience with coaches from Maine, New Hampshire, and the like. We need less nice and more badass. Sorry.
You also need some young guys that can connect with kids. We aren’t poaching guys from P5 programs and you don’t want a staff of 60 year olds. I’m not saying he’s the guy but he’s worth a look. Plus if he’s at Fordham he’s recruiting our area and has relationships with coaches

Reactions: rubigtimenow
No doubt in my mind we can get better though I really liked him as a player. He's not ready...

Let me tell you my favorite Scott Vallone story.

My son and I drove to the Papa Johns' Bowl from South Jersey. After the game we're hanging out in the bar when some of the players come out. Vallone sits down at the table across from me. Really nice guy, we're talking about the game. There's one play where the NC State QB hits a tight-end on a 20 yard TD to the corner. The only Rutgers player in the picture is Vallone who's about three strides behind. So I ask him, in what kind of crazy Schiano coverage does he have his DT man to man on the TE? Vallone responds, "Dammit I knew people were going to think that was my man and I got beat." I asked him what happened. He said, "I just saw him running free across the middle with no one on him and I took off after him." After about twenty yards he closed the gap to three strides. A DT.

That's what kind of player Scott Vallone was. He'll make a great coach.
I can't believe you never told me that. What a great story.

But didn’t the great flood come from Fordham ... or was it Hofstra

You also need some young guys that can connect with kids. We aren’t poaching guys from P5 programs and you don’t want a staff of 60 year olds. I’m not saying he’s the guy but he’s worth a look. Plus if he’s at Fordham he’s recruiting our area and has relationships with coaches

Yeah well I'm no expert and coach will pick who coach thinks is best. And I agree young blood up n comers are a valuable part...we just need a badass online and d line coach.

Assist. Coaches in the wings. Proven mo fos at every key spot.

No doubt in my mind we can get better though I really liked him as a player. He's not ready...

Ready for DL coach, not DC.

Edited to add: If Kellen Moore can call plays for the Cowboys Vallone can coach the DL for Rutgers.

Last edited:
Ready for DL coach, not DC.

Edited to add: If Kellen Moore can call plays for the Cowboys Vallone can coach the DL for Rutgers.

Not interested in him as dl coach as I said he's not ready yet and your comparing apples to oranges

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT