ADVERTISEMENT

Scrimmage questions:

zebnatto

All Conference
May 7, 2008
Mag fifteen shots: too many?
Paul four shots: too few?
AW: True height?
Jalen: will he have a hard time seeing the floor?
if Ffeld had a post player, how was Cliff’s D?
Does Cam do enough to stay on floor through shooting droughts?

Mag: no, he actually missed a few bunnies or he would’ve prob had 20+ pts

Paul: yes. He was actually draining 3s during shootaround. Wish he would be a little more selfish and passed up some open shots

AW: seems accurate. Dude is big and lean. Can prob add some weight but he looks like a specimen

Jalen: will get some minutes when we need defense. I also think we’ll press a bit this year so he’s valuable

Cliff: he was fine on defense. IMO he wasn’t going 100%. He also uncharacteristically had butter fingers on some rebound attempts. Fairfield had their big playing away from the basket so Cliff was pulled out a bit

Cam: he’s crafty on defense and plays ok help d. He didn’t have his shot today and knew it but he can put it on the floor and get to the rim. He also seems automatic from the line. If he can’t find his shot though I think we’ll just see Simpson ear into his minutes.

Mag: no, he actually missed a few bunnies or he would’ve prob had 20+ pts

Paul: yes. He was actually draining 3s during shootaround. Wish he would be a little more selfish and passed up some open shots

AW: seems accurate. Dude is big and lean. Can prob add some weight but he looks like a specimen

Jalen: will get some minutes when we need defense. I also think we’ll press a bit this year so he’s valuable

Cliff: he was fine on defense. IMO he wasn’t going 100%. He also uncharacteristically had butter fingers on some rebound attempts. Fairfield had their big playing away from the basket so Cliff was pulled out a bit

Cam: he’s crafty on defense and plays ok help d. He didn’t have his shot today and knew it but he can put it on the floor and get to the rim. He also seems automatic from the line. If he can’t find his shot though I think we’ll just see Simpson ear into his minutes.
Thanks.

There are alot more scoring options and you’ll see guys going in and out for offense/defense. I think we have the bodies to do alot of pressing. I can see this team causing alot of turnovers and on some nights, we will bury the opponents.

i like Mag when hes driving to the hoop. Same with Hyatt. They can both shoot it as well. Wolf is going to be really good and he should focus on hitting the glass and becoming a rebounding machine. He can also score in the post but i would like to see him following shots and getting the scraps and tip ins.

Reactions: BillyC80 and Scangg
Not much defense. Mag is better. Cliff could have dominated but held back. Paul held back too. Giving the new guys a chance to shine. Derek Simpson is gonna get minutes. very quick but in control. Cam Spencer looked nervous but settled down the second half. Needs to work on defense. Wolf had limited playing time but looks like he will be good. Hyatt scored a smooth 15.

I was actually quite pleased with the defense considering Hyatt was playing the 3 for 30+ minutes. As has been pointed out, he just doesn’t defend perimeter players well on backcourt rotations. Clearly Caleb is going to plug that hole. Cam may not be the most athletic player out there, but IMO his defense was a big relief. I know he didn’t shoot well and is going to need to move better without the ball to get more open looks on offense, but he’s not a massive liability on defense. He isn’t a stud, but he plays smart, hard and doesn’t sell out. He’s going to be servicable which is huge.

Bottom line - we held Fairfield to 65 points without our best defensive player and didn’t need to play Miller much to contain their offense. Despite only a 13 point margin - the game was never in doubt throughout the whole second half.

I was actually quite pleased with the defense considering Hyatt was playing the 3 for 30+ minutes. As has been pointed out, he just doesn’t defend perimeter players well on backcourt rotations. Clearly Caleb is going to plug that hole. Cam may not be the most athletic player out there, but IMO his defense was a big relief. I know he didn’t shoot well and is going to need to move better without the ball to get more open looks on offense, but he’s not a massive liability on defense. He isn’t a stud, but he plays smart, hard and doesn’t sell out. He’s going to be servicable which is huge.

Bottom line - we held Fairfield to 65 points without our best defensive player and didn’t need to play Miller much to contain their offense. Despite only a 13 point margin - the game was never in doubt throughout the whole second half.
This is a really good take and I completely agree. I was relieved about Spencer's defense as well. He's actually a plus defender in every area except likely containing dribble penetration. He wasn't horrible there either

Reactions: PSAL_Hoops
Based on this one game sample, it looks like we have the pieces to replace the scoring of Geo and Ron.

Reactions: Scangg
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT