ADVERTISEMENT

Football Sean Gleeson officially out as OC; Nunz Campanile as interim OC

SG was only a part of the problem. When you have very limited offensive talent it is tough to call a game. I like Nunz but whoever thinks he is going to call a 3 yard and a cloud of dust game just doesn't know him. He has a gunslinger mentality.
Which is his fault. This isn't year one it's three. He should've been able to recruit players to fit his scheme entering year 3.

Any OC worth their salt even with limited talent finds ways to put that talent in a situation to be successful. It didn't seem like Sean did that enough.

Blame the QB all you want, but that doesn't excuse the way he used Sam Brown against Brasky.

Get the Wake Forest OC, Warren Ruggiero. He's from Glen Ridge, NJ. Wakes offense is amazing.
Nice thought but that dude is going to be a head coach next stop my opinion…I feel like if it’s a current OC they need to be a non power five school. Or a position coach ready to make the jump at a power 5 school already

Reactions: rutgersguy1
I'll take the OC from App. State - they always seem to hang with the P5 teams & win some. They definitely have less talent but make plays to win.

Reactions: RULegion
Schiano will absolutely never hire an accomplished, experienced guy:
1. ego wont tolerate someone with more credibility/reputation
2. will hire on the cheap to make up for Gleeson’s $1.5 payout.

You take a lot of shots at who we have had. Name two realistic names that would make you happy. People we could actually get that would satisfy you on at least the initial hire.
And to be fair to Schiano, the first time around, he had a terrible budget for assistants. His DC hire this year I like and I would like to see who he gets for OC next. It’s not always about getting it right the first time around, it’s about learning and turning it around on the 2nd try.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Whoever we choose as OC, I would love to see the person have two stops as a successful OC. One in FCS and one in a lower tier FBS. It would show a track record and probably mean more than hiring the brand name.

i do hope Greg and Hobbs have an honest convo about budget for the OC and hire a good one. I’ll trust GS to do the right thing but I am tired of not being able to get to 20 against any top 50 team now.

And to be fair to Schiano, the first time around, he had a terrible budget for assistants. His DC hire this year I like and I would like to see who he gets for OC next. It’s not always about getting it right the first time around, it’s about learning and turning it around on the 2nd try.
In fairness to the doubters/haters, his past track record does not inspire confidence. But you make a fair point about his Big East budget in his 1.0 tenure. Flood's hire of Friedgen (it was Flood after all) showed what a solid, impactful OC could do for the offense.

The OC has to design plays to get the ball to players like Cruickshank, and other dynamic players in space some how, and not put our QBs in position to turn the ball over. Graber used to have creative screen plays that worked good.

Maybe. Maybe not. But I’m unbelievably sick and tired of an OC taking 25-30 seconds to decide what play he wants and then watching the offense scramble to beat the play clock only to see Gleeson looking completely puzzled and unsure of himself on the sideline. If nothing else, give me somebody who won’t be overwhelmed and at the very least look the part. A coach with no confidence will lead an offense with no confidence. F that.
This.
And put Nunzio up in the box during the games. Let him see the schematics of the plays and calls better.
Have an Assistant he would communicate with on the sideline.

This prediction may have something to do with the fact this is the weakest conference opponent on our schedule. Not exactly being Nostradamus here.
We just played the weakest defense in the big 10 and the offense scored 13 points. 3 of which were scored because of a turnover inside the opponents 20.

Greg wants to play complementary football.
Pound the rock. Easy, short, passes.
Don't give the ball to the other team.
Let the Defense win the game.
With our defense, we can win games this way, although we need to clean up the penalties still.

Unfortunately, Iowa and Nebraska were opportunities to do this and we did not.

SG was only a part of the problem. When you have very limited offensive talent it is tough to call a game. I like Nunz but whoever thinks he is going to call a 3 yard and a cloud of dust game just doesn't know him. He has a gunslinger mentality.
I don't expect the 3yds and a cloud of dust. Being aggressive is fine as long it's organized and decisive. Its the chaos that has to go. The offense is supposed to create chaos for the OTHER guys, not be chaotic.
Create conflicted defenders and exploit them.

Reactions: fsg2 and Scarlet16E
You think OC don’t want to be HC someday? That is what they can learn from GS.
An established OC who wants to be a HC doesn’t want to go to a dumpster fire of an offense. They are looking for the best situation where they have success fast and get promoted. They aren’t getting a head coach job because they learned from Schiano.

Honestly I could see Schiano going after Cignetti at Pitt. He the conservative control the ball OC he likes and has worked with him before. Other than that I think it will likely be a first time OC or someone from a fired staff like Whipple.

Last edited:
Reactions: MikeRU09
In fairness to the doubters/haters, his past track record does not inspire confidence. But you make a fair point about his Big East budget in his 1.0 tenure. Flood's hire of Friedgen (it was Flood after all) showed what a solid, impactful OC could do for the offense.

Reading between the lines, it seems like the thinking on Schiano’s end was as follows:

1) he didn’t need Gleeson’s “creativity” to win the BC or Temple games. We won those by avoiding creativity and playing not to lose aka Schiano style.

2) had the offense approached the Iowa and Nebraska games the same way (which is what he would have done if he was calling the game) we would’ve won at least one of those games and be no worse than 4-2 right now. Possibly 5-1 if things broke right vs. Iowa after going up 3-0 and we didn’t give up those 2 defensive TDs.

3) Point 2 stands true with our #1 and 2 QBs out for Iowa and #1 playing hurt / limited vs. Nebraska. They now have 2 more weeks to recover and my guess is he expects both to be available for Indiana.

4) When he refers to “complementary” football, he’s likely saying he thinks (with Noah and Gavin healthy - he can ride these 2 guys mostly keeping the ball on the ground mixing in short safe passes and an occasional low risk shot down field by Noah) and this team can still pull off 3+ more wins by riding the defense.

5) He may even see this season as affirmation (in a sense) that his offensive philosophy is the right one for RU at this time. It may not be exciting, but it really does look like we have a winner in Brown and the OL has improved from last year.

6) Our fans may not like it, but I think he’s probably being honest when he says this is a 7 week interview of sorts for Nunz. If we get 3 more wins - Nunz probably gets a crack at the job (and would deserve it).

Yeah I mean that is my opinion.

I didn’t really have an issue with SG like some here. Was actually surprised when the notification popped up on my phone.
I don't have a problem with either SG or GS, and I wasn't even one of the chorus begging for GS to come back. 😃

This season is going almost exactly like I thought it would go, although I'd hoped I was wrong. The D is actually playing better than I'd expected, and the competition isn't as good as I'd expected. Half the season still to come.

The question now is if firing SG sets the team back in both recruiting and win-counts for 2023 - which is always a possibility. Not that SG has been killing it; he's obviously been struggling to get something going w/the kids he has to work with and that's his job. But coaching instability can and sometimes does lead to undesirable outcomes. A new OC always means some changes and it takes teams time to adapt those change(s).

Gonna be interesting to see how the season plays out, recruiting-wise and competitively.

Anyway, the current board meltdown, and the transition from GS adulation to GS hatred, was all very predictable. Sports fans aren't exactly known for their patience, tolerance, and honest self-appraisals of their team's current level of competitiveness. And American culture has become blame-culture. Someone must always pay for our personal dissatisfaction.

think he made the change because people won't show up to the games if we keep this up. a lot of peoples started emptying out in the 3rd quarter on Friday

No - I don’t think so. He was caught on camera in Gleeson’s face multiple times during the Nebraska and Iowa games. Clearly was unhappy with the decisions to green light risky throws.

That is not an answer, again, why would an innovative OC want to come on board with a conservative micromanaging HC who is starting to feel the pressure and will be looking for another scape goat to throw under the bus?
Amen!

Reading between the lines, it seems like the thinking on Schiano’s end was as follows:

1) he didn’t need Gleeson’s “creativity” to win the BC or Temple games. We won those by avoiding creativity and playing not to lose aka Schiano style.

2) had the offense approached the Iowa and Nebraska games the same way (which is what he would have done if he was calling the game) we would’ve won at least one of those games and be no worse than 4-2 right now. Possibly 5-1 if things broke right vs. Iowa after going up 3-0 and we didn’t give up those 2 defensive TDs.

3) Point 2 stands true with our #1 and 2 QBs out for Iowa and #1 playing hurt / limited vs. Nebraska. They now have 2 more weeks to recover and my guess is he expects both to be available for Indiana.

4) When he refers to “complementary” football, he’s likely saying he thinks (with Noah and Gavin healthy - he can ride these 2 guys mostly keeping the ball on the ground mixing in short safe passes and an occasional low risk shot down field by Noah) and this team can still pull off 3+ more wins by riding the defense.

5) He may even see this season as affirmation (in a sense) that his offensive philosophy is the right one for RU at this time. It may not be exciting, but it really does look like we have a winner in Brown and the OL has improved from last year.

6) Our fans may not like it, but I think he’s probably being honest when he says this is a 7 week interview of sorts for Nunz. If we get 3 more wins - Nunz probably gets a crack at the job (and would deserve it).
Nunz having a lot of success over the next 6 games would be a good thing. Because then we could indeed keep him and the team would have a head-start w/adjusting to a new OC for 2023. And recruits could look at his success in the second half of 2022 as a reason to go to RU.

I mean, if GS could find some big name great recruiting OC for 2023, then maybe that's better. But having the option to keep things in house, given some success, is a good thing to have in your hip pocket.

How about some screens? short slants?

There are some speed guys on the team, utilize that speed. And if using the Langan package, maybe throw some short throws in there so everyone on planet earth doesn't know its a run. Or how about just letting him be a TE.

and simplify the playbook, maybe that helps Gavin get on the field more, build confidence..

Reactions: ScarletDave
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT