ADVERTISEMENT

Football Sean Gleeson officially out as OC; Nunz Campanile as interim OC

Easy answers:
1. Downfield sideline routes are much less likely to get picked off, and a better chance at pass interference.
2. Don’t use the TE much because we especially need for pass protection and Vedral isn’t tall enough to see past the pass rush to the center of the field. He needs angles. Same reason we don’t see short crossing patterns.

The depleted talent curtails the playbook immensely.
1) the outside routes I am talking about or the 10 yd out variety not downfield. And these are the hardest throws and very easily picked off. Even with a good QB- may have been Teel's worst pattern and seemed to be picked quite a it. Because you are not throwing it over the WR shoulder and between the WR and sideline- I remember Teel talking about how he only corrected this when he got to Seatle as he was never turning his hips properly. And Mike had a great arm.
2) I agree we need to keep the TE in to block too often. But disagree about the height. We aren't taking the snap from under center where a quick slant would mostly happen before the QB gets into a pocket and maybe just 2 steps. He is already getting the snap in a position where the height doesn't factor in as much...But, even to your point- this IS what the OC needs to figure out. Create a play that opens the throwing lane.

Get someone with a resume. Someone who actually has both experience at this level, and success. Is that too much to ask?

I mean, we were paying Gleeson a $1 million?!? That was top-notch OC money just a couple of years ago. I'm sure we can get an "above average" (or, even average) OC for that now. Couldn't we?

Reactions: jtung230
Fans want urgency and accountability. We saw that with this move and yet some are still complaining. For that group — you may be proven right that Schiano won’t get it done, but it’s really weird that’s your focus when Gleeson clearly wasn’t making us better.

Reactions: fsg2 and MADHAT1
IMO a very un-Rutgerslike thing to do to fire a guy midseason.
But entirely necessary.
As bad as any offense I've ever seen. My buds couldn't believe they were paying him a million dollars.

It's not just the play-calling. It's the lack of development.

Noah Vedral came here as an upper classman, has been here for a couple of seasons, and does not look at all improved. The OL is a mess and cannot stand up to even the most average of B1G DLines. The only real bright spot is the RB group. But, I'm not sure how much those players are getting the development they need. They might just be riding on raw talent.

It's not just the play-calling. It's the lack of development.

Noah Vedral came here as an upper classman, has been here for a couple of seasons, and does not look at all improved. The OL is a mess and cannot stand up to even the most average of B1G DLines. The only real bright spot is the RB group. But, I'm not sure how much those players are getting the development they need. They might just be riding on raw talent.

Perhaps with Noah he was already at his ceiling when he arrived here, as bad as it sounds not every player can always improve.

Reactions: BeantownKnight
Perhaps with Noah he was already at his ceiling when he arrived here, as bad as it sounds not every player can always improve.

And, ya' know .. that might be the answer to the questions surrounding (most of) the offense. These players were recruited yet most/all are already at their ceiling. So, Gleeson becomes the sacrificial lamb.

I'm not saying that's what has happened here. But, I don't think Gleeson thought to himself, "I got a great idea -- let's score as little as possible!" He might've been faced with the prospect that these are not players that can handle anything more complex, or athletic, than even the most basic of schemes.

In the end, Schiano can hire/fire whomever he wants. But, the overall success of the team should be trending upwards. If it is not, then he's the problem -- not the other coaches, not the players. Him.

IDK, ask the guys that are HCs now after working with GS.
How may we’re promoted directly from Schiano to a head coaching job? Do you think Haffley got the HC job 9 years after he left Rutgers because he worked under Schiano or the fact he was the DC at Ohio State. Same with Cristobal. He wasn’t hired because of his 1 year at Rutgers. It was because his time at Alabama and Oregon. The only one that got a head coaching job right from Schiano was Fleck and that was from Tampa Bay. So in his 14 years at Rutgers he has never had an guy get promoted from his staff for a head coaching role. So it not going to be viewed as a stepping stone to a head coaching job.

How may we’re promoted directly from Schiano to a head coaching job? Do you think Haffley got the HC job 9 years after he left Rutgers because he worked under Schiano or the fact he was the DC at Ohio State. Same with Cristobal. He wasn’t hired because of his 1 year at Rutgers. It was because his time at Alabama and Oregon. The only one that got a head coaching job right from Schiano was Fleck and that was from Tampa Bay. So in his 14 years at Rutgers he has never had an guy get promoted from his staff for a head coaching role. So it not going to be viewed as a stepping stone to a head coaching job.
Seems like the definition of stepping stone to me. Working with GS got them the better opportunity to advance their careers

I don’t understand how anyone can draw the conclusion that Noah looked “bad” on Friday. Seriously? He was playing hurt for the first time in over a month and looked sharp as could be in terms of game speed and decision making. It was explained that his thumb is still recovering so yes, he missed a few short route throws he used to make. When nobody is open, a QB is supposed to throw the ball away. Especially when winning by multiple scores which is when many of Noah’s incompletions occurred. None were remotely close to being picked off. I don’t understand some of you. There were games he looked bad in at the end of last season, but to say that based on Friday’s game I just don’t understand.

I went back and looked at the games Nunz coached in 2019. It was better than I thought. In the first few games many of the best players quit on him included both QBs and our starting RB. That Liberty win was arguably as good as any Ash win outside of Purdue (certainly better than any non-conference win). And in the last game of the season, he had Langan moving the football against #10 PSU even though we didn’t put up many points to show for it. Outside of Michigan State, argument could be made that the offense improved noticeably from Liberty game forward.

Get someone with a resume. Someone who actually has both experience at this level, and success. Is that too much to ask?

I mean, we were paying Gleeson a $1 million?!? That was top-notch OC money just a couple of years ago. I'm sure we can get an "above average" (or, even average) OC for that now. Couldn't we?
He ain’t hiring someone with a resume, nor would such a person want to work for him.

besides, hiring a newbie saves a big chunk of Gleeson’s payoff

Last edited:
Seems like the definition of stepping stone to me. Working with GS got them the better opportunity to advance their careers
I would agree with you if those guys got promotions. Hafley and Cristabol all made lateral moves to climb up the later. PJ Fleck was the only guy who left to be a portion.

And When Greggie went to Ohio State the defense dropped from #3 to #88. And now has his fingers into everything. Greg needs to bite the dust.
Site I checked showed last year of Ash at OSU at #9 and then Greg's years as #5, #7 and then the injury riddled #68 playing a ton of young guys and also the season Meyer got suspended if I remember.

Last edited:
Not really sure which thread to throw this tidbit in but I’ll dump it here since Gundy has been mentioned etc..

Maybe Flood is available!!
We're gettin' the band back together.

Mission Reaction GIF

Oh, the memories:

Rutgers QB Gary Nova on OC Ralph Friedgen: 'I wish I had him all four years'​

"He won't put a lot of stuff in if I'm struggling with it. He'll peel back and just focus on things like that. He's awesome."

"I try to tell them, there's a progression," Friedgen said. "Which is better? A sack or a turnover? A sack. Which is better? A sack or an incompletion? An incompletion. Which is better? A run or an incompletion? A run. You've got to understand: What are your choices? Pick the lesser of two evils. The worst thing you want to do is turn the ball over."

Friedgen also made one physical correction. He told Nova to get off the balls of his feet and plant his back leg before he throws.

"It's funny," Nova said. "Every time I did it the way he told me, I threw an accurate ball. And every time I didn't, I didn't throw an accurate ball."

That is so perfect a video to present now. good job.

This has been maddening to me.. that we run into eh middle on the first play of the game when the defense is all keyed up and will likely over-pursue or bite on a play fake and we just hand it off.. or do a wildcat right into the middle.

How simple it seems for Ralph Friedgen to just state teh obvious and call a play THREE WEEKS OUT from the first game to take advantage of the obvious trend.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Friedgen also made one physical correction. He told Nova to get off the balls of his feet and plant his back leg before he throws.

"It's funny," Nova said. "Every time I did it the way he told me, I threw an accurate ball. And every time I didn't, I didn't throw an accurate ball."
Oh.. that's rich and describes why I did not like Gary Nova. How could he not know how to properly step into a throw? He avoided contact like the plague.. just wouldn't step into a throw with any kind of rush anywhere near him. Who knows how good he could have been with a little more mindfulness and courage.

That is so perfect a video to present now. good job.

This has been maddening to me.. that we run into eh middle on the first play of the game when the defense is all keyed up and will likely over-pursue or bite on a play fake and we just hand it off.. or do a wildcat right into the middle.

How simple it seems for Ralph Friedgen to just state teh obvious and call a play THREE WEEKS OUT from the first game to take advantage of the obvious trend.
The Fridge was an offensive genius and a QB whisperer. Best offensive football mind we've had at RUFB, at least since I started paying attention a few years or so into GS's first stint here.

I would think there are others out there with an understanding of running an offense, like Friedgen. Or, if not, maybe RU can pay Ralph to come in and mentor our newest OC for 6 games, see if Nunz can absorb the genius.

The Fridge was an offensive genius and a QB whisperer. Best offensive football mind we've had at RUFB, at least since I started paying attention a few years or so into GS's first stint here.

I would think there are others out there with an understanding of running an offense, like Friedgen. Or, if not, maybe RU can pay Ralph to come in and mentor our newest OC for 6 games, see if Nunz can absorb the genius.
Maybe GS can get his friend Urban Meyer to do some consulting. I wonder what his Fox College Football broadcast schedule looks like.

Maybe GS can get his friend Urban Meyer to do some consulting. I wonder what his Fox College Football broadcast schedule looks like.
Urban had all incredibly gifted athletes. The Fridge did a decent job with far, far fewer "tools" than Urban.

Maybe we could pay Urban to recruit for us? Or better yet, maybe we keep Nunz as a Fridge-mentored OC and spend the 1.X million we were paying SG on player compensation (or, you know, funnel it somehow to the NIL collective to pay some players to come to RU).

Gotta think outside the box, when you're an RUFB fan. 😃

Urban had all incredibly gifted athletes. The Fridge did a decent job with far, far fewer "tools" than Urban.

Maybe we could pay Urban to recruit for us? Or better yet, maybe we keep Nunz as a Fridge-mentored OC and spend the 1.X million we were paying SG on player compensation (or, you know, funnel it somehow to the NIL collective to pay some players to come to RU).

Us? As in the football team or us fans? Because for the latter, he would do a good job:

dataimagepngbase64iVBORw0KGgoAAAANSUhEUgAAAksAAAG9-b176282e644b366b31df384ca41b7739.jpg

Oh.. not downplaying Friedgen at all... just think he may be ungettable under any circumstances... so is UM for that matter.. just adding options. That video and other quotes by or about Friedgen shows exactly what we ned... creativity, experience, and assessment of talent as to what we CAN do well enough.

I honestly thing that was GS was saying when talking about what he has to do now that he fired the OC... "see where we are" in this week off... "a lot of work to do". It is clear to me that he is taking responsibility for the offense now. I like that... and it brings to mind one other time he did this.

In 2010 it was going very poorly. I think that was because of our stupid Offensive system that was discussed here many many times. And its weaknesses were first exploited in 2009 by Syracuse under Marone.

That weakness was that the QB turned his back to teh LOS on the snap then dropped back to a waiting RB where he would either hand off or keep it, turn around and then begin to look for a receiver. What Syracuse saw was that if they blitzed a an LB to aim for that spot 5-7 yards behind center.. they would be there to blow up runs or get some sacks. That 2009 game was UGLY.

My contention is that for 2010, every team had seen what Syracuse did to us. The word was out. No need to respect the pass. No need to fear a quick-hitting running play up the middle or off-tackle. And the season went very poorly.

Syracuse was 6-3, Rutgers 4-4... in Rutgers previous game that season at USF they manage only 238 total yards and lost by a point. The offense as awful... we'd make it 312 yards of offense vs Syracuse.. not great.. but we controlled clock and kept the score low. We helped the defense. We still lost a close game... but GS eliminated some of the negatives of that offense.. largely though Jeremy Deering wildcat runs.

But I think teh main point is, GS saw what we were doing wrong on offense and stopped it.

We need a bit more than that this time around. While predictability is an issue.. the scheme itself is not the issue. Execution may be.. playcalling may be... talent level will be an issue in many games to come.. but, while you can not fix that.. you can work around it as best you can.

If the offense is a weakness that we cannot seem to alleviate.. GS will try to minimize the effects of that weakness. And if that is the way we go we can expect some very boring games ahead. I hope we do not go that way. No one will like it.. not the players.. offensive players anyway... not the fans.. not future recruits.

Last edited:
I like the idea of bringing in a consultant for the rest of the year. Have Nunz meet with him by Zoom regularly. Did Friedgen work for Greg or Flood?

I didn’t realize Deion had consulted Leach and tapped the Leach tree as well. Thoughtful on the pressure it could put on the D as well and took it into account.

Oh.. not downplaying Friedgen at all... just think he may be ungettable under any circumstances... so is UM for that matter.. just adding options. That video and other quotes by or about Friedgen shows exactly what we ned... creativity, experience, and assessment of talent as to what we CAN do well enough.

I honestly thing that was GS was saying when talking about what he has to do now that he fired the OC... "see where we are" in this week off... "a lot of work to do". It is clear to me that he is taking responsibility for the offense now. I like that... and it brings to mind one other time he did this.

In 2010 it was going very poorly. I think that was because of our stupid Offensive system that was discussed here many many times. And its weaknesses were first exploited in 2009 by Syracuse under Marone.

That weakness was that the QB turned his back to teh LOS on the snap then dropped back to a waiting RB where he would either hand off or keep it, turn around and then begin to look for a receiver. What Syracuse saw was that if they blitzed a an LB to aim for that spot 5-7 yards behind center.. they would be there to blow up runs or get some sacks. That 2009 game was UGLY.

My contention is that for 2010, every team had seen what Syracuse did to us. The word was out. No need to respect the pass. No need to fear a quick-hitting running play up the middle or off-tackle. And the season went very poorly.

Syracuse was 6-3, Rutgers 4-4... in Rutgers previous game that season at USF they manage only 238 total yards and lost by a point. The offense as awful... we'd make it 312 yards of offense vs Syracuse.. not great.. but we controlled clock and kept the score low. We helped the defense. We still lost a close game... but GS eliminated some of the negatives of that offense.. largely though Jeremy Deering wildcat runs.

But I think teh main point is, GS saw what we were doing wrong on offense and stopped it.

We need a bit more than that this time around. While predictability is an issue.. the scheme itself is not the issue. Execution may be.. playcalling may be... talent level will be an issue in many games to come.. but, while you can not fix that.. you can work around it as best you can.

If the offense is a weakness that we cannot seem to alleviate.. GS will try to minimize the effects of that weakness. And if that is the way we go we can expect some very boring games ahead. I hope we do not go that way. No one will like it.. not the players.. offensive players anyway... not the fans.. not future recruits.
You're right. We're not getting any time from either Fridge or Meyer. It's a nice dream though.

I think we'll have to wait and see what happens the rest of the season. I personally think leaving Nunzio to kind of do his thing with the offense would be wiser than trying to micromanage it. I'm saying that from general principles of good management perspective than any specific football knowledge (which I lack) or idea of what kind of relative offensive chops either coach has (which I also lack).

Be interesting to see how we play in a couple weeks. I'm guessing the O won't look dramatically different. Maybe a few new wrinkles, some different game-time adjustments.

But I also think that having a couple weeks of recovery time, and some extra film room time, that the team will potentially execute the offense a bit better than they've been doing. Although I think they would've done so even if SG was still here.

Whoever we choose as OC, I would love to see the person have two stops as a successful OC. One in FCS and one in a lower tier FBS. It would show a track record and probably mean more than hiring the brand name.

i do hope Greg and Hobbs have an honest convo about budget for the OC and hire a good one. I’ll trust GS to do the right thing but I am tired of not being able to get to 20 against any top 50 team now.
I want a proven college guy that actually called plays

Reactions: jtung230
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT