ADVERTISEMENT

Sebastian Rivera to appear on The Wrestling Room w/ AA and Goodale?

In other news... Former RU wrestler Peter Lipari transfers from Rider to Arizona St, and Princeton's Matt Kolodzik applies to NCAA for a 6th season.

I hope Kolodzik gets approved. I felt worse for him than anyone else. Guy was in red shirt all season and pulled it solely for the tournaments and then poof.

Kanniard and Vulakh getting a nice shout-out from Donny, love to hear that.
I've yet to see any of Vulakh's matches so not familiar besides talk. But from what I saw of Kanniard last year if he keeps progressing I think he can become a blood round or low AA guy. His style is just very good, aggressive and good on his feet but bottom needs some work. Top he isn't going to ride anyone. A 1 not 2 type kid where you know he has the upper hand from neutral.

I've yet to see any of Vulakh's matches so not familiar besides talk. But from what I saw of Kanniard last year if he keeps progressing I think he can become a blood round or low AA guy. His style is just very good, aggressive and good on his feet but bottom needs some work. Top he isn't going to ride anyone. A 1 not 2 type kid where you know he has the upper hand from neutral.

That "if" is always critical. I'm eager to see him in action but concerned that he lost to MVB, a .500 wrestler, last year and now he's up a weight class. If he can do better than .500 it's a good thing. And as for bottom wrestling, that's an all too common weakness with this team. If that isn't improved on across the board, it will beg the question: why?

I'm looking forward to seeing Vulakh as well. I'm really hoping he comes out strong. Having Seabass in the room has to be helpful to him and some others in neighboring weights. And if the pre-season injuries are avoided, we'll be in good shape.

Reactions: LETSGORU91
That "if" is always critical. I'm eager to see him in action but concerned that he lost to MVB, a .500 wrestler, last year and now he's up a weight class. If he can do better than .500 it's a good thing. And as for bottom wrestling, that's an all too common weakness with this team. If that isn't improved on across the board, it will beg the question: why?

Well he seemed to make the transition well at the NCOWC. If not for meeting Ramirez in the
pre-quarters those two would have met in the finals. Ramirez walked through that tournament, the only one to give him a match was Kanniard a 7-4 win. I just like how aggressive he is, he's the one constantly shooting and pushing the action. That trait bodes well in college, instead of sitting back and being a counter wrestler. He learns to get out quicker, he's going to be a tough out.

Well he seemed to make the transition well at the NCOWC. If not for meeting Ramirez in the
pre-quarters those two would have met in the finals. Ramirez walked through that tournament, the only one to give him a match was Kanniard a 7-4 win. I just like how aggressive he is, he's the one constantly shooting and pushing the action. That trait bodes well in college, instead of sitting back and being a counter wrestler. He learns to get out quicker, he's going to be a tough out.

Agree, I think Kanniard has a high upside and looked good his true frosh year. Not concerned at all that he lost to MVB. MVB had been in a college room for 4 years, that cannot be underestimated. Most wrestlers make their biggest level jumps from year 1 to year 2.

Agree, I think Kanniard has a high upside and looked good his true frosh year. Not concerned at all that he lost to MVB. MVB had been in a college room for 4 years, that cannot be underestimated. Most wrestlers make their biggest level jumps from year 1 to year 2.

I second that - Kanniard is working hard with the expectation we will see him jump levels this season.A little top game with a turn working with Ashnault will bode well for him.First-year of wrestling is tough on freshmen getting out of bottom.I am sure it was point of focus during the offseason.

Some thoughts after watching this episode:

* Schnaulty becoming much more comfortable behind the mic
* Goody needs to upgrade his camera
* Nice to get a good, long listen to Donnie. He's got a lot of awesome things to say and we dont get to hear him often. His experiences are invaluable
* Seabass will quickly become a fan favorite (well, even more so than before and now). What's not to like after listening to him here?
* Seabass question: "Who do want to beat". Answer: "Yanni" = awesome!!
* Nice to hear Nick's name discussed. Means he's isnt ruled out just yet.
* Eight B1G titles on this show is impressive! Recruits take note!!!
* The crew is right, Rutgers is the biggest program on the rise and the news keeps getting better and better. Seabass addition was huge!
* This was the best episode so far. It should be edited and used as a recruiting tool for all high school prospects...today.

Anybody who has stepped foot on a collegiate wrestling mat for the first time as a true freshman learns the meaning of “man strength”. We speak about MVB like he’s some throw away backup. He’s been in a B1G program for 4 years including years of strength and conditioning.

David Taylor got his ass handed to him his few weeks of practice at PSU... Ben Askren lost 8 matches as a red shirt and has noted how weak he felt.

Translation: I wouldn’t be concerned that a true freshman lost early to an experienced Big Ten collegiate starter.

Last edited:
Let's not forget that MVB was a NQ this year as well. He's was inconsistent especially in the beginning of the year but once he was more aggressive he was a lot more successful.

Let's not forget that MVB was a NQ this year as well. He's was inconsistent especially in the beginning of the year but once he was more aggressive he was a lot more successful.

Granted it was freestyle, but he once took out Kevin Jack. Let’s just say that Jack doesn’t “suck”.

I concede that MVB's college experience was too much to expect a frosh to overcome. I suppose it was just my frustration watching MVB from my comfy chair. However, I will predict another average performance from him. Please bring me back to this post if I'm proven wrong and I'll apologize profusely. However, we have not (I have not) yet seen how much Turley has improved and whether or not he can take 157. His HS performance and a year in the room makes him a different story from the MVB vs, a frosh. Turley was a guy I was hoping to see wrestle last year. If he can't do it this year, I hope he's amenable to the redshirt. On the whole, I'm very optimistic about this year and really look forward to seeing how it all plays out. Of course, lurking in the shadows are the pre-season injuries, the virus, academic issues, etc.

Sorry to confuse weight classes; Turley will be challenging at 174. It's Glasgow's job to pressure MVB.

Last edited:
Ashnault also made a passing comment about having wrestled with Vin Santaniello this past week. I think it’s just a matter of time before he commits to Rutgers, and I would imagine his younger brother Anthony who might have even more potential will follow suit in a few years.

First a foremost,I have to apologize about my remarks towards MVB. The kid is tough as nails,and really stepped up to the plate when it counted.Second,as a standout for the RU Wrestling program,I lost sight of what matters the most..supporting my RU Wrestling brethren. Ok,so I am stoked about Seabass,but not very optimistic about Nicky Knuckles coming back. I'm hearing great things about Vulakh and Kanniard. They,with our beast at 184lbs could be the 3 Amigos of beat downs for RU wrestling program.Lets be clear hear,Donny and Shanualty B Mobile home ( or whatever you call him) are bringin juice to this program.I also want to point out that nobody ever gives Leo recognition.Listen,this guy is a Lehigh graduate and was making piss when this program started out...but her is still here.Gotta love a guy like that.

This episode was really great and makes me super excited about the program. Anyone viewing this board should give it a listen, they'll enjoy it.

Reactions: RU Diesel07110
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT