ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Seton Hall game SOLD OUT

It’s fun within the state...with no register outside...the very definition of a small rivalry...fun though it may be to the two fan bases...
I'm having a hard time thinking of College MBB games considered a big rivalry on a national level, besides Duke/NC.
Ky & Louie might be another, but don't think that's played up on a national level
Most are local in state rivalries that occasionally spill out nationally.
Nothing bad about the Rutgers /Seton Hall one being the same

Reactions: HALL85 and Vegas pj
I'm having a hard time thinking of College MBB games considered a big rivalry on a national level, besides Duke/NC.
Ky & Louie might be another, but don't think that's played up on a national level
It’s a nice local rivalry...heck it’s more of a central and NNJ one...it’s hard to imagine south Jersey caring that much...this is not meant to belittle it, I just have a hard time imagining more than that. Now since shu is ranked it will matter more...

I hope we beat the hell out of the school from the oranges!

Reactions: NJDOVES
I gobbled up a bunch of SHU tix exclusively for RU fans. I have some extras id be willing to part with at face value but ONLY to Rutgers fans. Theyre in the 300’s, so youre not gonna be on the floor but they were only like $25 a piece
Do you have any of those tickets left?

Reactions: anon_0k9zlfz6lz9oy
They did for the SJU game last season. Plus other conference games

But SJU isn't really a rival, certainly not in the way SHU is.

Of course SHU is a rival. Even the extra efforts by some to downplay the importance of the game shows it has special significance outside of just a W or L on the record (these fans doth protest too much, methinks).

Reactions: Upstream

Those claiming it's not a rivalry probably don't believe in college basketball rivalries at all outside of Duke/UNC.

It’s a nice local rivalry...heck it’s more of a central and NNJ one...it’s hard to imagine south Jersey caring that much...this is not meant to belittle it, I just have a hard time imagining more than that. Now since shu is ranked it will matter more...

I hope we beat the hell out of the school from the oranges!

Just as all politics are local, so are all rivalries.

UK vs Louisville is a huge rivalry-----cannot remember when their game wasn't Nationally televised.

But SJU isn't really a rival, certainly not in the way SHU is.

Of course SHU is a rival. Even the extra efforts by some to downplay the importance of the game shows it has special significance outside of just a W or L on the record (these fans doth protest too much, methinks).
It's a puzzle, isn't it.

Can you still get the Satan Hall game in a four pack of tickets?

UK vs Louisville is a huge rivalry-----cannot remember when their game wasn't Nationally televised.

They are are huge rivalry, but a more consistent one since1983

The two did not play each other from 1922 to

And only played once between 1951 and

The two just would not arrange for it back then

Didn’t the same guy coach RU and SHU simultaneously quite some time ago ?
Just answered my own question - thanks google. Frank Hill for about 20 years stating in 18/19. Teams played each other 4 times when he coached both

Just answered my own question - thanks google. Frank Hill for about 20 years stating in 18/19. Teams played each other 4 times when he coached both
Supposedly he would sit in the stands when the teams played each other.

Chris Hill, former Rutgers basketball player and Utah AD, is his grandson.

I’m really looking forward to the match up between Powell, in offense and Young, on defense. I believe this will be the game changer. If Young keeps him under a dozen or so, I think we win. If he can’t be contained we lose. More or less it’s that simple - in my opinion.

I’m really looking forward to the match up between Powell, in offense and Young, on defense. I believe this will be the game changer. If Young keeps him under a dozen or so, I think we win. If he can’t be contained we lose. More or less it’s that simple - in my opinion.
under a dozen? If that's the case we might win by 20+. Powell will get his, it's a matter of making him earn them at a low percentage. He is so overhyped, he's a very gifted shooter, overall though outside of shooting he's nothing more than an average guard.

Reactions: Scangg
RU shot bowling balls that night in a blowout loss

We didn't shoot well from range vs SJU, but we shot worse than that in 12 games and went 5-7 in them. We shot worse from the FT line in 6 games, and went 3-3 in those. We shot worse from 2P in 4 games, and went 2-2.

It was pretty much an all around poor shooting performance... but even if we shot our averages, it likely wouldn't have changed the outcome.

SJU was just on fire from outside that game - and I remember them putting up some crazily low-percentage shots that went in from beyond the arc. They shot .500 (their highest all season) on 32 attempts (their 4th highest all season). Their eFG% was .600 vs us, and they went 11-0 when their eFG% was over .570. By contrast, we only had 3 games with an eFG% over .570, and also won them all.

Everything goes through him. A dozen is unrealistic IMO. 18 or under and I think we win... unless the game is a real dogfight and played in the 50s, which I doubt.

Do you recall the game or do you want to revise history?

I'm a RU fan as well, you know that, especially against SJU, stop the false narrative
I do, we were out athlete’d that night, it was men vs boys. But you constantly throw pot shots are RU, and its blatantly obvious youre a hall > RU guy

under a dozen? If that's the case we might win by 20+. Powell will get his, it's a matter of making him earn them at a low percentage. He is so overhyped, he's a very gifted shooter, overall though outside of shooting he's nothing more than an average guard.

Overhyped by whom? Is the Associated Press somehow part of the Powell PR team?

Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan
Overhyped by whom? Is the Associated Press somehow part of the Powell PR team?
Jerry carinos been lobbying for powell and gassing him for months on end. Theres a reason he came back this year and no it’s not to win a tournament game

Well, they are my friends. Should I stop being friends with them just because they weren't smart enough to get into a better college?
We're generally aligned on 90% of topics, but not this one, my friend. I rarely give tix to opposing fans, even if they're friends, as I simply can't stand having the enemy in the house. I've only given tickets to friends who are fans of other teams if they agreed to not cheer for their team during the game. Even my wife says you're wrong on this one, lol.

We're generally aligned on 90% of topics, but not this one, my friend. I rarely give tix to opposing fans, even if they're friends, as I simply can't stand having the enemy in the house. I've only given tickets to friends who are fans of other teams if they agreed to not cheer for their team during the game. Even my wife says you're wrong on this one, lol.

You expect me to believe your wife cares enough about Rutgers football or basketball to have an opinion on who I give tickets to.

You expect me to believe your wife cares enough about Rutgers football or basketball to have an opinion on who I give tickets to.

No, hence the lol. All she cares about are the "costumes" the players wear and is still trying to figure out where the yellow line is at football games.

What is worse, @Upstream doing this for Shoe or @RU848789 doing it for State Penn?

It’s quite the conundrum.

I think your memory has failed you here. I've never given away tickets to a single game to a PSU fan. I did have a PSU grad/fan who was the first person to join me as a season ticket holder in the early Schiano years (2002), as he was just a huge football fan. He stayed with us until 2013, when he moved to MD, so he never had to root against RU in a football game.

Given his 10+ years buying 2 RU season tickets, I would not have begrudged him rooting for PSU, although he said he would have just kept silent - as I would if I sat with him at a PSU game in Happy Valley (we had talked about what we'd do after we got the B1G invite, but it became a moot point after he left NJ).

I think your memory has failed you here. I've never given away tickets to a single game to a PSU fan. I did have a PSU grad/fan who was the first person to join me as a season ticket holder in the early Schiano years (2002), as he was just a huge football fan. He stayed with us until 2013, when he moved to MD, so he never had to root against RU in a football game.

Given his 10+ years buying 2 RU season tickets, I would not have begrudged him rooting for PSU, although he said he would have just kept silent - as I would if I sat with him at a PSU game in Happy Valley (we had talked about what we'd do after we got the B1G invite, but it became a moot point after he left NJ).
Still....

giphy.gif

Reactions: Scangg and Upstream
Still....

giphy.gif

I know you're busting balls, but that guy was a better RU fan than 90% of RU fans. He sat with me through every game of Schiano's 1-11 2nd season, including the entire 2002 Temple loss in the cold, pouring rain. Guy just loved college football and eventually married an RU grad and they both would come to the games, including their young kids at times in their later years as fans.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT