ADVERTISEMENT

Showing Our True Colors On the Boards and Twitter

Maybe, but it seems those people are in the majority these days. Social media is becoming unreadable no matter what the topic. Maybe it's time for us to go back to interacting directly with people, you know, like we used to do.
Yeah this on line bashing is for losers. Does it make the posters feel better? NO it just leads to more bashing. Grow up and talk about it one on one with a friend and say whatever you want. Think whatever you want. Leave it off the internet because you look like a pack of whiny bitches.

Reactions: RutgersRaRa
Good decision. The rumors on top of rumors and I heard from a friend who heard from a friend who was in the room when Hobbs was talking to a top donor suddenly turn into fact and are used by posters to start criticizing Hobbs and/or the process. It's ridiculous. Or a certain poster, who posts over and over that PJ Fleck was begging to come to Rutgers. Have not been able to find a single link, article, blog posts indicating that.

We all know that these rumors only have validity if you hear them at the Easton Ave. Subway

I know this wasn't addressed to me, but I am so sick of this typical cult response. Greg Schiano is not Rutgers University, my degree makes no mention of Greg Schiano, I went to Rutgers University, not the University of Schiano. Typical with personality cults they view the person and the entity as the same, they are not. I will root for Rutgers no matter who is the coach, I am an alum, I root for the institution to succeed, no one man or woman. I will support any coach who brings us a winning product, however, based on past performance I sincerely doubt that person will be Greg Schiano.
Excellent post. Beware of tractor beams, you may get sucked into the Cult of Greg.

I think the people who go on twitter or facebook to bash kids and former coaches have a mental disease. I am surprised that some of them are not investigated for cyber bullying. Or maybe they are, who knows.
I don't tweet and I didn't even know we had a facebook group. I believe in keeping things "in house" anyway. (yeah I know this is a public forum too but I think much more internal)...I don't even want to know what's being said out there.

If Rutgers were to LAND a player in the exact circumstance I'd bet 95% of people who support and even respect the player for doing what was best for him.
When that happens where we get a player of this caliber. Let me know.

You can't be serious, can you? There are a couple of facts in there, sandwiched amongst a host of opinions. And why would anyone be interested in a heavily biased post anyway?
Here’s the issue, anytime someone posts facts about Schiano’s actual record, recruiting rankings, etc you guys come back calling it heavily biased opinions. These are facts, he did many great things here but the actual football stuff isn’t as Rosy as you guys want to remember it.

maybe you can say some of our fans are typical of like minded complainers at other schools but unfortunately we all know many do not have the loyalty of the Pennstaters and Michiganers of college football--they don't go out of their way to demean their university

You can't be serious, can you? There are a couple of facts in there, sandwiched amongst a host of opinions. And why would anyone be interested in a heavily biased post anyway?
I challenge you to parse it out (You said: "Worst, most biased/least balanced post on Schiano yet - congrats.":

"1. What is really embarrassing is this cult like obsession with a former coach who in more than a decade didn't get Rutgers to one major bowl game while an awful coach at UConn was able to actually accomplish that feat.

2. A coach who in his last two years had a 5-9 conference record in a conference

3. that couldn't carry the water for our current conference.

4. A coach who quit to go to the pros where he failed miserably,

5. landed on his feet due to connections at a football powerhouse with the ability to recruit almost any athlete in the country

5. and then wore out his welcome and was run out of town.

6. Yes, we shouldn't be booing or calling out kids on sports boards,

7. but at the same time we shouldn't be promoting the return of a mediocre coach as some type of former conquering hero."

I see near equal amounts of fact and opinion in that post. Certainly not the worst, and definitely better than the posts from the members of the Cult of Greg.

I challenge you to parse it out (You said: "Worst, most biased/least balanced post on Schiano yet - congrats.":

"1. What is really embarrassing is this cult like obsession with a former coach who in more than a decade didn't get Rutgers to one major bowl game while an awful coach at UConn was able to actually accomplish that feat.

2. A coach who in his last two years had a 5-9 conference record in a conference

3. that couldn't carry the water for our current conference.

4. A coach who quit to go to the pros where he failed miserably,

5. landed on his feet due to connections at a football powerhouse with the ability to recruit almost any athlete in the country

5. and then wore out his welcome and was run out of town.

6. Yes, we shouldn't be booing or calling out kids on sports boards,

7. but at the same time we shouldn't be promoting the return of a mediocre coach as some type of former conquering hero."

I see near equal amounts of fact and opinion in that post. Certainly not the worst, and definitely better than the posts from the members of the Cult of Greg.

The only facts in there are part of #1 (not getting RU to one major bowl and a coach at UConn doing so), #2, and the first part of #4. And many, many positive facts are left out, so to me the post was useless.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Blackshear quit on RU and left his team out to dry to focus solely on himself.

Schiano quit on RU and left his team out to dry to focus solely on himself.

RU fans are rushing to welcome Schiano back, but want Blackshear kicked off the team.

(for the record I want Schiano back, but just playing devils advocate)

The only facts in there are part of #1 (not getting RU to one major bowl and a coach at UConn doing so), #2, and the first part of #4. And many, many positive facts are left out, so to me the post was useless.
the first 5 is partially true and the second 5 (bad job by me) is opinion. In that respect connections is something that is a huge positive for Greg, and should put him high up on the list. One thing that became evident with Ash upon his hiring is that he lacked any decent connections, which is why we got who we got at OC and DC.

There are obviously some fans on this board would be on board with Greg hire after considering a range of candidates for the position, but would like the Cult of Greg posters to stop with the narrative that he is perfect and the ONLY one who can get the job done. We still don't even know for certain if Greg wants the job, do we? And please, let's not go with that "I heard second hand from someone who talked to a high level donor."

Reactions: R1776U

RU fans are rushing to welcome Schiano back, but want Blackshear kicked off the team.

You can't be a Cult of Greg Member with that post. BTW, that is exactly as I see it, except for the part about "wanting Schiano back." I would be on board 100% with him coming back, but let's not skip over a coaching search and just give the job to him when there are other viable candidates to consider.

Hypothetically, what if 30 kids on the team reacted to Ash's firing indicating they intend to transfer and did not want to play in any more games to save their year of eligibility? Do you let them all do it? How do you decide who can or who can't? Potentially it could result in RU having to forfeit games due to safety issues related to playing players who are not ready to play. How do you control this? Maybe an extreme example, but is the right answer that any player who wants to can stop at the 4 game mark with no repercussions?

There is a thread started on the board today arguing that Rutgers should give Schiano $10 million a year to come back. There have been countless threads and opinions stating that Hobbs should hire Schiano today and not even conduct a proper coaching search at the end of the season. How many posters have toted their "connections" and the fact that they know someone who knows someone that knows that Greg wants to come back and Hobbs is the one holding on to the control that Greg so desperately deserves based on his past performance. It's never ending, it's borderline hysterical. Anyone who even suggests slowing down and letting the AD actually do his job is considered a Schiano detractor and told that when he gets the job they better find another team to root for because they will not be welcome among the true Schiano supporters. Nobody is out to get Greg Schiano and after a legitimate coaching search if he is the best candidate we can get then I don't know of a fan who will not support the hire, but rushing to hire someone with his record is ridiculous, and that is my opinion.

Reactions: Block R
Thanks for your post. You make a lot of assumptions in your post that our unfounded. My position on Greg has been clearly stated in numerous posts. But I am not part of the Cult of Greg. He has issues, as do several other candidates for the job. If a full search is conducted and a range of candidates are considered, and the decision is made to hire Greg, I will support it.

You don't see the irony in posters ripping Blackshear and Sitkowski, when Greg did basically the same thing when he left?

Are you the President or one of the officers of the Cult of Greg?

I am glad that you will support whoever is named coach, as will I.

As I mentioned before, Schiano was not a great game day coach the first go around. Hopefully he would be a better one the 2nd time. If we can hire someone else that is qualified and can get the fans energized, I am all for it.

My thinking is the same as the top money people(they could be wrong) that donate here at Rutgers that Schiano is still the best way to go. I think they will win out if they get caught up in a fight with our Athletic Director that might not want really want him.

Getting back to when he left for Tampa Bay, 99.9% of high school and college coaches dream of coaching in the NFL. If you can't grasp that, I don't know what to say. There is no "good time" to leave a college job because it is a 12 month a year job.

Best of Luck,
Groz

I am glad that you will support whoever is named coach, as will I.

As I mentioned before, Schiano was not a great game day coach the first go around. Hopefully he would be a better one the 2nd time. If we can hire someone else that is qualified and can get the fans energized, I am all for it.

My thinking is the same as the top money people(they could be wrong) that donate here at Rutgers that Schiano is still the best way to go. I think they will win out if they get caught up in a fight with our Athletic Director that might not want really want him.

Getting back to when he left for Tampa Bay, 99.9% of high school and college coaches dream of coaching in the NFL. If you can't grasp that, I don't know what to say. There is no "good time" to leave a college job because it is a 12 month a year job.

Best of Luck,
Groz
Thank you for the collegial reply. Maybe I was not clear. No problem whatsoever with Greg leaving for Tampa Bay. Big problem the way he left the prized Don Bosco recruits hanging. As noted, there are quite a few ways Greg could have handled that without blowing his secret that he was leaving for Tampa Bay. For every candidate name that has been raised, they all have issues/warts. One of my biggest issues with Greg is that Greg is about Greg. His departure is an excellent reflection of this trait. Hopefully he learned from that. The second issue is whether he can/will get RU to beat teams that are better than RU. He seemed to have issues with that first time (e.g., WVU, Cincinnati).

Reactions: Knightmoves
What's funny is a lot of the posters who are arguing the most in this thread against Greg are the same one's who defended Kyle Flood until the very end. I would take some of these posters opinions with a grain of salt. It's ok to a lot of them that this team is the absolute worst P5 program in the entire country. We're an absolute disaster because of the last 2 HC hires with 3 different AD's involved. You don't hear them being critical of that. But you mention GS as the next HC and they go crazy offering all kinds of opinions.

And being critical of the fans? You're lucky there is anyone who even cares anymore. The product that is being put out on the field is unwatchable. And it's been that way for years now and you don't think the few fans who actually care aren't going to vent?

Last edited:
these people are legal adults getting a free ride in college.. key word.. ADULTS.. they aren't children so stop coddling them

So because an 18 year or 19 year old is athletically gifted, they are subject to your random criticism behind a computer because they are trying to get themselves an education?

Reactions: SheaWasBetter
So because an 18 year or 19 year old is athletically gifted, they are subject to your random criticism behind a computer because they are trying to get themselves an education?
they signed up to play guy... no one forced them to.. them quitting when the team needs them the most makes them cowards in my eyes

they signed up to play guy... no one forced them to.. them quitting when the team needs them the most makes them cowards in my eyes

The prosecution rests. We do have the worst fanbase.

What qualifies me to say so? I go to one huge college football school a year. Nowhere else do they tear college kids limb from limb like we do here. Internet tough guys picking on people who just play to get a degree.

The prosecution rests. We do have the worst fanbase.

What qualifies me to say so? I go to one huge college football school a year. Nowhere else do they tear college kids limb from limb like we do here. Internet tough guys picking on people who just play to get a degree.
i get that your feeble mind doesn't understand what a contract is.. you are forgiven for your ignorance...

The “education” angle doesn’t move me. Unless I’m mistaken, Blackshear tapped out on Saturday because he’s concerned about his football future. I don’t think he opted not to play because he had to study for a big exam.

And, of course they are subject to criticism. It’s part of the trade off. If they don’t like the criticism and still want to get an education there are plenty of lower level schools that give scholarships without the bright lights of P5 football.

What's funny is a lot of the posters who are arguing the most in this thread against Greg are the same one's who defended Kyle Flood until the very end. I would take some of these posters opinions with a grain of salt. It's ok to a lot of them that this team is the absolute worst P5 program in the entire country. We're an absolute disaster because of the last 2 HC hires with 3 different AD's involved. You don't hear them being critical of that. But you mention GS as the next HC and they go crazy offering all kinds of opinions.

And being critical of the fans? You're lucky there is anyone who even cares anymore. The product that is being put out on the field is unwatchable. And it's been that way for years now and you don't think the few fans who actually care aren't going to vent?
Other than letting the drug testing slip, his brilliant disguise and discipline issues, I'll still defend Kyle Flood to a degree.

First, he had no business being a head coach. Only at Rutgers does an OL coach get promoted to head coach. Only at Rutgers do they take the former HC salary of $2.1 (or more?) million and give the new guy $700K (and he willingly took it). That was probably about what he was worth. But to make matters worse, he was given a peanuts budget for assistants.

The year he was given real money and hired Fridge as OC, the team performed well in their first year in the B1G. While it is true that he was living off of Greg's recruits, he was not a terrible game day coach. Ultimately the wheels fell completely off in 2015 when he lost Barnwell and his poor recruiting and discipline came back to bite him.

Wonder what might have been if Flood had received a decent budget for hiring an OC, DC and coaches.

Nobody really defended Ash. It was apparent he was a disaster early on. Many of us realized we were stuck with him 3-4 years minimum, and we dealt with it, without starting multiple posts pissing and moaning about the obvious.

As why are any of us other than RU itself lucky that RU has any fans?

Demeaning student athletes who aren't paid for making personal decisions.

Yes, I don't like how Blackshear did things, but at the end of the day it is his decision. Whatever new coach comes in would certainly love to have the opportunity to have him for as many as 2 seasons, but it look pretty certain that our fan base has pushed him out and made him a villain.

Sitkowski, who I think was very likely to return, has been absolutely bashed as well. And these are the same people who doo-doo'd all over him last year when he struggled. Now he shows that 4-star promise against BC and Michigan, completing 70% of his passes while getting blown up every other dropback, and we are pushing him out as well?

Langan played extremely hard despite difficult circumstances, and I think showed that there could definitely be a role for him in certain situations (especially within the 5) and packages. But here we are putting down his throwing motion and acting as if the people on this board were all-americans.

Then there is the coaching search. I ABSOLUTELY have guys I would like us to contact and potentially take the reins, but people here truly believe they have all the information on all these candidates. I certainly don't. These people have egos. They all will have different demands (moneywise, administrationwise, staffwaise) that may not fit in with what Hobbs wants to do.

So perhaps, instead of just making assertions and acting as if they are full-proof, you do research around the candidates.

And at the end of the day, trust that Hobbs is crossing all of the t's and dotting all of the i's. Remember, it is his job on the line.

A Scholarship is form of remuneration.

If a kid is going to dictate how many games he plays....when he plays and when he doesn't , we should reduce his ship on a pro-rata basis.

IMO Blacksheer is very talented and has an NFL future. However, it is totally unlceer that he has (or wants) a future with Rutgers. Quitting or "NO MAS"
on the day of the game is lame, and doesn't show support for your team, the coach or the University.

You're entitled to your opinion and ...I'm entitled to mine.

MO

I think social media and society only gets worse . It didn’t seem this bad at the end of the flood era

It’s always been bad. Inside the stadium people would boo the crap out of Nova.

I’m actually surprised there hasn’t been more booing the past few seasons, there’s been virtually none.

It was his decision, and decisions have consequences in terms of how you're viewed by others. Don't understand the efforts to shield him from that.
Decisions have consequences, but most decisions shouldn't have unbridled consequences made from emotion and mean-spiritedness, tinged with a bit of hypocrisy. A player is supposed to show unending loyalty to a team no matter what, but if that player decides to take an unexpected course of action in extenuating circumstances, the fans are allowed to abandon the player? And not merely abandon him, but hammer him? It's one thing to be disappointed in his decision or even dislike it, but to publicly slam a player (or anybody, for that matter, civility becoming a lost discipline) is just wrong. If we had a roster full of Ohio State-level players, people wouldn't be nearly as up in arms. But because he is our best player, that's the guy we're gonna take our anger, frustration, and immaturity out on? We need to re-think the way we're living if this behavior is what we're defending. Just because people have the right to give an opinion doesn't mean they should exercise that right.

The old.. but everyone else does it excuse.

But, seriously, some very vocal fans here will act like spoiled children, but it is not everyone. Also it really does happen on all message boards.

The MODS are cool with it or they would have been banned by now.
The mods are the ones saying throw the kids off the team.

Reactions: SheaWasBetter
Decisions have consequences, but most decisions shouldn't have unbridled consequences made from emotion and mean-spiritedness, tinged with a bit of hypocrisy. A player is supposed to show unending loyalty to a team no matter what, but if that player decides to take an unexpected course of action in extenuating circumstances, the fans are allowed to abandon the player? And not merely abandon him, but hammer him? It's one thing to be disappointed in his decision or even dislike it, but to publicly slam a player (or anybody, for that matter, civility becoming a lost discipline) is just wrong. If we had a roster full of Ohio State-level players, people wouldn't be nearly as up in arms. But because he is our best player, that's the guy we're gonna take our anger, frustration, and immaturity out on? We need to re-think the way we're living if this behavior is what we're defending. Just because people have the right to give an opinion doesn't mean they should exercise that right.

I'm not even sure what you're on about - maybe something on social media that I'm not tuned into?

If a player decides on game day not to play - not medical, or family tragedy, or academic, or whatever..... he just doesn't wanna.... then he deserves some form of consequences. It doesn't matter what his reason is - if he makes a unilateral decision that adversely impacts the team, that should at the very least be a violation of team rules. It's also not behavior that should be accepted from a team captain - which is to say, that player should no longer be a captain.

I don't think he should have his scholarship pulled. I do think his choice reflects on his character. Some players make mistakes (Britt/Davis) and serve a suspension before going on to NFL careers. Some players make much bigger mistakes that scuttle their careers (Barnwell/Oden). I think Blackshear's is in that former category, personally.

i get that your feeble mind doesn't understand what a contract is.. you are forgiven for your ignorance...

I do understand what a contract is. At no point, has any players NLI forced them to play football. It commits them to the university for at least one year, renewable annually.

For the record, both of these players signed their NLIs under Coach Ash.

They are not in any way forced to play football, and Rutgers is in no way obligated to renewing their scholarships.

I do understand what a contract is. At no point, has any players NLI forced them to play football. It commits them to the university for at least one year, renewable annually.

For the record, both of these players signed their NLIs under Coach Ash.

They are not in any way forced to play football, and Rutgers is in no way obligated to renewing their scholarships.
I thought that rule changed, at least in the P5, and scholarships were for 4 years and can't be cancelled for athletic reasons.

I'm not even sure what you're on about - maybe something on social media that I'm not tuned into?

If a player decides on game day not to play - not medical, or family tragedy, or academic, or whatever..... he just doesn't wanna.... then he deserves some form of consequences. It doesn't matter what his reason is - if he makes a unilateral decision that adversely impacts the team, that should at the very least be a violation of team rules. It's also not behavior that should be accepted from a team captain - which is to say, that player should no longer be a captain.

I don't think he should have his scholarship pulled. I do think his choice reflects on his character. Some players make mistakes (Britt/Davis) and serve a suspension before going on to NFL careers. Some players make much bigger mistakes that scuttle their careers (Barnwell/Oden). I think Blackshear's is in that former category, personally.

Sounds pretty reasonable to me. Some of the vitriol on here has been way over the line, but expecting zero consequences or criticism for something that almost everyone can agree was a pretty douchy move (declaring he wouldn't play at the last minute) is also pretty unrealistic.

Demeaning student athletes who aren't paid for making personal decisions.

Yes, I don't like how Blackshear did things, but at the end of the day it is his decision. Whatever new coach comes in would certainly love to have the opportunity to have him for as many as 2 seasons, but it look pretty certain that our fan base has pushed him out and made him a villain.

Sitkowski, who I think was very likely to return, has been absolutely bashed as well. And these are the same people who doo-doo'd all over him last year when he struggled. Now he shows that 4-star promise against BC and Michigan, completing 70% of his passes while getting blown up every other dropback, and we are pushing him out as well?

Langan played extremely hard despite difficult circumstances, and I think showed that there could definitely be a role for him in certain situations (especially within the 5) and packages. But here we are putting down his throwing motion and acting as if the people on this board were all-americans.

Then there is the coaching search. I ABSOLUTELY have guys I would like us to contact and potentially take the reins, but people here truly believe they have all the information on all these candidates. I certainly don't. These people have egos. They all will have different demands (moneywise, administrationwise, staffwaise) that may not fit in with what Hobbs wants to do.

So perhaps, instead of just making assertions and acting as if they are full-proof, you do research around the candidates.

And at the end of the day, trust that Hobbs is crossing all of the t's and dotting all of the i's. Remember, it is his job on the line.
I agree. DJ Spanky’s thread was despicable and he should be immediately removed as a moderator. There is nothing worse you can do on these boards than personally attack the student-athletes of Rutgers.

Reactions: BaseballFan913

Schiano quit to take one of 32 jobs in the world for millions of dollars. I didn't like the timing but it's tough to blame him. He also stayed when offered the Miami and Michigan jobs.

As for Blackshear the timing also stunk if he did it right before the game, after game planning during the week which probably involved some of him playing in space. I agree with Coach Camp's comments about the situation, however, the world has changed. Players quit right before bowl games to focus on the NFL draft, kids now have the right to transfer even before they take a snap, don't like the way a coach looks at you during practice, just transfer, it's ok.

It’s always been bad. Inside the stadium people would boo the crap out of Nova.

I’m actually surprised there hasn’t been more booing the past few seasons, there’s been virtually none.

Lots of people at the games expect what they see

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT