ADVERTISEMENT

SIAP -- Rutgers has hired consultant on boosting athletic revenue

I had been hoping that someone would know something about what Huron has been hired to do, or at least be able to read and summarize the article. That's why I started the thread. But no luck so far.

Interesting! FWIW, she edited it -- that is, collected the essays -- rather than write it. The chance that there will ever be a faculty walkout at Rutgers is not high even though it takes many moons after the expiration of a contract for there to be a new agreement.
Yea more thought it was hilarious that the labor leader at Rutgers would have an academic interest in “Strikes”. Not that I thought she would actually employ that tactic.

I had been hoping that someone would know something about what Huron has been hired to do, or at least be able to read and summarize the article. That's why I started the thread. But no luck so far.

I linked some background on them on P1, but the article is behind a paywall.

Yea more thought it was hilarious that the labor leader at Rutgers would have an academic interest in “Strikes”. Not that I thought she would actually employ that tactic.
Each to his or her own, but I think it's unsurprising rather than hilarious. But you have a point: Rudy Bell, the long-time leader of the AAUP/AFT was a distinguished scholar of Italian history, and so knew about a lot more than the labor movement.

Each to his or her own, but I think it's unsurprising rather than hilarious. But you have a point: Rudy Bell, the long-time leader of the AAUP/AFT was a distinguished scholar of Italian history, and so knew about a lot more than the labor movement.
Agree it is unsurprising. But I do think it is hilarious. As I said earlier in the thread I met her at an event. When she stands out in a crowd of political figures as being crazy. It is not a ringing endorsement

winning solves everything - do I have that motto correct? I've been attributing that wisdom to this board.

I would be impressed if the hire was a social media consultant whose job is to get the boards to offer free advice.
We’ve done that already on certain things, pro bono.

But collectively have been met with a, “Thanks, but we got this” from Rutgers.

You gonna fire Pike who brought RU back from the basketball wilderness? You gonna to fire Brecht, who took RU men's lacrosse to the NCAA quarterfinals and Final Four Weekend in successive years? First time they had made the tourney in a decade. You gonna fire Hobbs who has moved RU up to respectability in the D1 overall rankings? And that's not even going into the success of the women's sports outside of hoops?

But never let facts get in the way of a good rant.
slowdown cupcake, I'm talking about the administrative portion and that is evident in my posts. Never let using your head get in the way of spouting off like a fking moron for the sake of peacocking right

From the article: "Huron brought in Jim Delany, a former Big Ten commissioner, and Kevin White, who has been athletic director at Duke University and Notre Dame, to work on the study."
And of concern: "...donations to the athletics division this year are less than half what they were in 2021, based on a review of information provided by the Rutgers University Foundation — falling from $24.3 million to $11.2 million with less than a month to go in the calendar year."

From the article: "Huron brought in Jim Delany, a former Big Ten commissioner, and Kevin White, who has been athletic director at Duke University and Notre Dame, to work on the study."
And of concern: "...donations to the athletics division this year are less than half what they were in 2021, based on a review of information provided by the Rutgers University Foundation — falling from $24.3 million to $11.2 million with less than a month to go in the calendar year."
no one needs a consultant to answer why

I'm a huge fan of W. Edwards Deming, and he is correct. I should have a #5:

Ineffective management and systems and managers who are only interested in their own advancement instead of advancing the interests of the organization and the employees they supervise.
That should really be number one. The other four are usually the result of having poor systems in place to incentivize better behaviors.

Reactions: Knight Shift
There are two "investigative" reporters who seem to be on schedule to "report" the wasteful spending and inequitable spending for male/female sports at Rutgers every 2-3 months. I have detailed their track record of shoddy "investigative" reporting in other areas. The story on inequitable spending was laughable. They seem to forget that football and men's basketball makes the large majority of revenue for athletics in both ticket sales and the large sums of money coming in through the media rights deals. The media rights deals are not driven by volleyball, women's rowing and other Title IX sports, which would not be funded but for the media rights money. This is not a statement against Title IX, it is a simple reality. But these two investigative simpletons leave out inconvenient facts to continue to do what NJ reporters love to do- bash Rutgers.

And then Jerry Carino, the hoops beat guy, will lash out at people on Twitter when they complain that many of his stories are behind a paywall. I will pay nothing for the media "exposure" of the NJ rags. They could all go out of business, and nobody would notice.

Wouldn’t mind paying for the NJ rags if the papers hadn’t become total crap.

They should have hired me, I know the numero uno thing Rutgers can do to raise the revenue of the athletics department - in football, deploy an offense that isn’t cringeworthy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT