ADVERTISEMENT

slight OT: Grayson Allen

In fairness to Coach K and the kid, I think I heard he had Allen go into the Elon locker room after the game and apologize to the entire team.
It was Coach K, Grayson, the Elon coach and the player he tripped who met. He did apologize. But sometimes apologies that aren't heartfelt are a bit hollow. Pretty sure he apologized to FSU last year too for tripping their player.

He got suspended but a suspension usually doesn't change someone's personality

If it was the 1st time you give him the benefit of the doubt. After 3 times you just call him what he is. An a$$hole.

Reactions: shields
Coach k may be a good person at heart and nice to hear about him donating to those in need. That said he is extremely arrogant and hearing him pontificate on anything other than basketball is completely insufferable.

Coach k may be a good person at heart and nice to hear about him donating to those in need. That said he is extremely arrogant and hearing him pontificate on anything other than basketball is completely insufferable.

K, Cal, Pitino, etc all are basketball arrogant though. That's because they are great at their jobs and truly think they are the best. Off the court though I think K is a genuine human being who has other people's interests at heart. Allen is an ass and K needs to teach him a lesson, but also help him. They should feel a responsibility towards their players and their personal growth.

Needs to be suspended and if coach K doesn't he is a joke.
K thoght he was going to skate on this one. He PUT HIM BACK IN THE GAME!!!
The the AD stated clearly that he had been disciplined by the Technical Foul and K said Allen apologized personally.

Only after the media outcry did they do anything.

Reactions: LC-88
This guy is the biggest douche in a long history of Duke douches. What a little baby.
Allen is that punk you want to stuff in a locker. He was probably looked upon as a god at his high school and got away with a ton of $hit with no accountability. If Rat Face won't suspend him then the ACC needs to suspend this POS. If he gets to the NBA, someone will do more than trip this jerk.

Coach K had another Bad Boy years ago. If I am dead wrong about that guy being Greg Newton, apologize abjectly. But that is the name that comes to mind. He had multiple incidents during his career, but not as visible and clear cut as Grayson Allen's multiple tripping incidents. Was in Greensboro Coliseum in 1997 to see the regionals, which included Duke. It was late in the first half, and Newton had been bumptious and rough (he had some talent, but had to play really hard in order to play at that level, and by "hard", mean skirting the edge of dirty and sometimes crossing the line.) Newton did something clearly dirty, and clearly in view of the 12-15,000 fans. Coach K pulled him, and he didn't play in the 2nd half. Nor did he play in the regional championship game--or the next game after that which, I believe Duke lost. He was a senior, so that was it.
TL

If I know Grayson as well as I think I do, his tantrum on the sidelines was a "Damn it, I did it again. Why can't I stop. I'm hurting the team." Not "I didn't even do anything."

Except that right after the trip, Allen is telling the ref (if you read his lips) that Santa Ana grabbed his arm. Then he is yelling at the ref from the huddle like the ref did something wrong. After all that, he sobs like baby because he got caught. He's a punk and used to getting his way. Fact is, he could really hurt someone bad doing that.

If Coach K's "indefinite" suspension eats several games into the conference schedule, I'll be impressed. Otherwise, Coach K is continuing to enable this snowflake.

Last edited:
So K has suspended him "indefinitely," which translates to "until our next tough opponent." That will mean a 3 game suspension, and a bunch of verbiage from K.

The kid's real misdemeanor was tarnishing K's reputation. That's what got him the suspension.

Reactions: FastMJ and Unionst
So K has suspended him "indefinitely," which translates to "until our next tough opponent." That will mean a 3 game suspension, and a bunch of verbiage from K.

The kid's real misdemeanor was tarnishing K's reputation. That's what got him the suspension.
Duke's next game is a toughie against VT, but their next two are against ACC minnows BC and GT. Then another toughie against FSU. So yes, three games seems right.

Reactions: SkilletHead2

Imitating Coach K on the bench is what got him suspended. Only Coach K can act like that on or off the bench!

To Skillet's point, Coach K has long been known to have maybe the foulest mouth among coaches--he gets away with various antics because the media loves him. Often a spokesman, which helps recruiting no end. The media cordially disliked Bob Knight--and the same with Bob Huggins, who has just won his 800th game. They see Huggins as yelling at his players--what they refuse to see is that he tolerates a fair amount of pushback from those players and is greatly loved by them. Coach K would never permit that, but he is the saint and Huggins is the sinner. Huggins will move well up the ladder of total wins by the time he retires--he is now 10th all-time-- but the media will never give him his due because they have decided he is a bad guy. The media love a few other coaches, and they hate a few others--like Jim Valvano before he got cancer. They remind me of Philadelphia Phillies baseball fans who cheered every move Richie Ashburn made, but booed Mike Schmidt, the greatest 3rd baseman in major league history. That makes about as much sense as the media's likes and dislikes of certain coaches.
TL

To Skillet's point, Coach K has long been known to have maybe the foulest mouth among coaches--he gets away with various antics because the media loves him. Often a spokesman, which helps recruiting no end. The media cordially disliked Bob Knight--and the same with Bob Huggins, who has just won his 800th game. They see Huggins as yelling at his players--what they refuse to see is that he tolerates a fair amount of pushback from those players and is greatly loved by them. Coach K would never permit that, but he is the saint and Huggins is the sinner. Huggins will move well up the ladder of total wins by the time he retires--he is now 10th all-time-- but the media will never give him his due because they have decided he is a bad guy. The media love a few other coaches, and they hate a few others--like Jim Valvano before he got cancer. They remind me of Philadelphia Phillies baseball fans who cheered every move Richie Ashburn made, but booed Mike Schmidt, the greatest 3rd baseman in major league history. That makes about as much sense as the media's likes and dislikes of certain coaches.
TL
Not even the best career .267 career hitter at third base. [winking]

You know it's bad when it makes the Evening News. Now you have 20 MM people who know pretty much nothing about Duke BB other than the fact that one of their players is a punk.

We don't know his back story. May have been diagnosed at some point. It is easy to say he is just a douche .The anger displayed the other night was not your run of the mill meltdown. That was world class .I hope he gets help because he is a real talent.

Reactions: Russ Wood
Coach K trying to say stuff happens and he's a kid....lol

I'm sorry tripping repeatedly just means you're a punk. It's not something you see often because it doesn't happen....

Skillet, seriously? You say Brooks Robinson was a better player than Mike Schmidt? Matter of personal choice to some extent, but let us compare records. This is from Total Baseball, which stopped being published some 20 years ago.

Brooks Robinson 10654 AB 1232 R 2848 H 482 2B 68 3B 268 HR 1357 RBI 860 BB 990 K .267 BA .325 OBP .401 SP .726 OPS (best year, .895 in 1965. Batting runs-just 32, because he had negative batting runs 13 of his 23 seasons. Total Player rating 23.3

Mike Schmidt 8204 AB, some 2500 less than Brooksie. 1487 R 2704 H 401 2B 59 3B 542 HR (led the league 8 times) 1567 RBI (led the league 3 times) 1486 BB 1868 K .269 BA .386 OBP ( led the league 3 times) .530 SP (led the league 4 times) .916 OPS (led the league 5 times, including two years over 1,000). 563 batting runs (Brooks had 32) 77.9 Total Player Rating (led the league 8 times).

OK, you say, you concede Mike Schmidt was way more productive at bat (and stole several times more bases). But Brooks was a great fielder. Yes, he was, but---
Fielding Runs--Robinson, 134 Schmidt 241. Your Honor, the Crown rests its case.
Look, love Brooks Robinson. He did color on Oriole TV coverage (my community didn't have cable yet), with a savvy Jim Palmer as lead announcer. Brooksie was always down home, fun to listen to, rarely, if ever, critical. Like going to a game with the guy from work who plays 3rd base on the company softball team. His attention sometimes wandered. One day, Palmer fed him the perfect setup to allow Brooks to expound about infield play, saying he let the infield know how he was going to work a guy so they could position themselves. "You guys took cues from that, didn't you, Brooks?" And Brooks said, "Sorry, Jim--wasn't listening. I was thinking about them nachos". Great player, great guy--but no Mike Schmidt. Eddie Mathews might be closer to Schmidt as the greatest 3rd baseman ever, but having seen Schmidt in some 20 games up in Philly, he's my pick.
TL

Reactions: Bones131
The comparison between Coach K and Paterno is fitting. For both of them, their program's reputation was and is more important than anything else. They would both do whatever was necessary to protect their program's reputation from outside attacks even if the attacks were justified.
Well one did...let's not equate some douchiness to covering up kid diddling.

Allen is that punk you want to stuff in a locker. He was probably looked upon as a god at his high school and got away with a ton of $hit with no accountability. If Rat Face won't suspend him then the ACC needs to suspend this POS. If he gets to the NBA, someone will do more than trip this jerk.
Actually he isn't and he didn't, which makes these tripping incidents so bizzare. In HS he always played hard but I always saw him play the game the right way. He wouldn't back down when challenged but he also played with good sportsmanship.

I get why people think he's punk, he's definitely brought that on himself with the tripping. He's an incredibly passionate player but he needs to get this one thing under control. A poster suggested he see a sports psychologist, I hope he does just that.

Actually he isn't and he didn't, which makes these tripping incidents so bizzare. In HS he always played hard but I always saw him play the game the right way. He wouldn't back down when challenged but he also played with good sportsmanship.

I get why people think he's punk, he's definitely brought that on himself with the tripping. He's an incredibly passionate player but he needs to get this one thing under control. A poster suggested he see a sports psychologist, I hope he does just that.
Russ, point taken since you're so close to the action with these kids. I think what was more troubling however, was his temper tantrum on the sideline afterwards. Something emotionally is going on with this kid more than just basketball.

No Duke lover trust me but if you watched that bench meltdown this kid has issues.

Forget basketball-----hope he gets help.

From purely a hoop perspective I think the ACC should take this out of Coach K's hands and designate a suitable suspension------and 3 games IMO isn't enough.

Russ, point taken since you're so close to the action with these kids. I think what was more troubling however, was his temper tantrum on the sideline afterwards. Something emotionally is going on with this kid more than just basketball.
The entire thing is bad. The tantrum was about doing it again and hurting the team. Before the season he talked about not doing it and not being that guy.

I don't think he'll ever say it, but when he was young he was a really good soccer player. That tripping thing happens in that sport, it could be a leftover from that but it is unacceptable in basketball.

I'm glad he's suspended. Seeing his team play while he can't can be a powerful behavior corrector.

Reactions: RU MAN
Still think he is a punk.
You're not alone but that's because you don't know him. What he did was definitely a punk move but apologizing to Santa Ana and his coach isn't something a punk would do.

Coach K likely could have prevented this by suspending him the very first time it happened. Meanwhile he lectured Oregon's Dillon Brooks about his on-court antics after an NCAA Tournament win over Duke. K is a hypocrite.

Reactions: koko2315 and RU MAN
K is always going to defend his players, that is what coaches do. He wants to protect Allen from the backlash in any way possible. He basically said to the media to rip him and say what you want about Duke, but don't make Allen the villain. I do believe Grayson has internal issues, but I don't think he is a bad guy. The thing is he plays for Duke so it is automatically a national story. If Angel Delgado was doing this repeatedly at Seton Hall the national media would not give it two seconds of thought.

In fairness to Coach K and the kid, I think I heard he had Allen go into the Elon locker room after the game and apologize to the entire team.

So what? It's not like this was the 1st time the kid did it, or it was an accident, he's doing it purposely and is a f*cking scumbag. I hope somebody decks him next time he does it (and he WILL do it again...watch...).

So what? It's not like this was the 1st time the kid did it, or it was an accident, he's doing it purposely and is a f*cking scumbag. I hope somebody decks him next time he does it (and he WILL do it again...watch...).

If someone decks him, I hope it is someone from a team I don't like. Cause the person who decks him will get ejected from that game and face either a additional 1 game suspension or season suspension.

If someone decks him, I hope it is someone from a team I don't like. Cause the person who decks him will get ejected from that game and face either a additional 1 game suspension or season suspension.

hahahahahahaha!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT