ADVERTISEMENT

So, according to a BOG member I know...

ImBadRU

All American
Apr 3, 2002
Pat Hobbs actually should get a lot of credit for getting GS hired. Why? According to my BOG friend, when Hobbs made it clear that he was looking at option B, that is when GS started to soften on some of his demands. This was, according to my BOG contact, a tactic that worked like a charm. My BOG contact thinks that Hobbs was raked over the coals unfairly by the press and fans. My BOG contact gives a lot of credit to Hobbs for getting GS on board. He reported that GS was a drama queen and a pain in the a** prior to Hobbs stating that he was going to plan B. He said that Hobbs had the balls to stand up to GS in the negotiations and that is what ultimately got the deal done.

Pat Hobbs actually should get a lot of credit for getting GS hired. Why? According to my BOG friend, when Hobbs made it clear that he was looking at option B, that is when GS started to soften on some of his demands. This was, according to my BOG contact, a tactic that worked like a charm. My BOG contact thinks that Hobbs was raked over the coals unfairly by the press and fans. My BOG contact gives a lot of credit to Hobbs for getting GS on board. He reported that GS was a drama queen and a pain in the a** prior to Hobbs stating that he was going to plan B. He said that Hobbs had the balls to stand up to GS in the negotiations and that is what ultimately got the deal done.
Thank you, Mrs. Hobbs.

If true, and there is a ton of speculation on both sides, then it would have been wise for Hobbs/RU to COUNTER the latest request from Schiano instead of going silent. Once they went silent, according to versions of the story, Schiano started to question their commitment level and withdrew his name.

I don't know how much of what we've been "told" is accurate, but I would take OP's version of this with a grain of salt; maybe true, but maybe not.
At this point there is still a lot of posturing, and self preservation can lead to different "truths."

I call BS. First of all there was no plan b. Second, Hobbs is an idiot if he didn't anticipate the fan blowback that he will not recover from. Third, there are too many independent reports that he didn't want GS in the first place. Lastly, reports were leaked that painted GS as greedy and unwavering. Even Hobbs buddy Christie said GS didn't want the job. If all that was a calculated negotiating strategy, its a wonder that the deal was eventually made. the deal happened because the fans spoke up, even calling for Hobbs firing.

iu

I'm very glad an agreement was worked out but I do find it interesting that 8 years is still part of the deal but the comittment to facilities was softened.

Good for Greg, I'm all for people negotiating the most money in a contract but I'm also not naive enough to think when agreements are reached in this stratosphere of dollars that any one side has the corner on altruism or love of the university.

The answer is some where in the middle. Hobbs did screw things up in the beginning but he also pulled them back together. There will be haters on both sides. The real question is can both coexist?

Perhaps accurate and true, but we may never know for sure. Regardless, you won't change the minds of many on this board have already settled on what their agenda and narrative is regardless of what facts may be.

I call BS. First of all there was no plan b. Second, Hobbs is an idiot if he didn't anticipate the fan blowback that he will not recover from. Third, there are too many independent reports that he didn't want GS in the first place. Lastly, reports were leaked that painted GS as greedy and unwavering. Even Hobbs buddy Christie said GS didn't want the job. If all that was a calculated negotiating strategy, its a wonder that the deal was eventually made. the deal happened because the fans spoke up, even calling for Hobbs firing.
I agree with this. I do think 100 % Gov Murphy stepped in. One thing I learnt from all this is an Athletic director is all political. without political pressure Hobbs does zero to get this deal done.

That narrative is not accurate. Hobbs didn't start looking at Plan B until after Schiano pulled out of negotiations. At that point, without Schiano willing to negotiation, Hobbs was forced to explore Plan B. That wasn't a negotiation tactic.

Anyone who thinks Greg may not have been a total PITA - for better or wiser - is likely fooling themselves. Anybody with ANY connections to the program last time around will tell you this was the case. Now, IT WORKED for him, so that’s a GREAT thing and hopefully it works again - TENFOLD - but let’s be honest with one another for a second lol!

Hopefully ALL parties involved are going to get along famously in the short or long run AND all us out here will be the delighted benefactors of the results!!

Christie told NJ Advance Media his comments “were intended to be honest and constructive — not petty and destructive.’’

ya ok. “As somebody sitting on the outside and knowing how this stuff works,’’ Christie said, “here’s what I think: I don’t think he wanted the job.’’ that's constructive and the truth?

Reactions: NotInRHouse
I'm as skeptical of this inside info as I am of all the inside info castigating Hobbs. However, at least this rumor can be logically defended by the known facts, unlike the Hobb's hater narratives which are about as illogical as things can get.

If Hobbs was so horrible as his detractors say here on the forum, he'd have been fired long ago. He most certainly wouldn't have been present at the second round of negotiations w/Schiano. So the facts make the anti-Hobbs rumors look extremely silly.

However, this rumor of his genius seems a little overblown too. I suspect the reality is that both sides were negotiating to get the best deal possible and both sides showed a willingness to walk away from the table - always a good negotiating tactic.

Hobbs has lost the trust of prominent donors. He's lost the fanbase entirely.

He will not be getting these things back, and there's nothing an administrator, olympic sports coach or BOG member in his corner can do to change that.

He ran the most disorganized, slapped together coaching search in the history of college sports, contradicting himself every step of the way. And worse than all else, he let his personal motives get in the way of the school's best path to success.

As soon as a new President is in place, Hobbs must be removed immediately, and he more than deserves it.

I agree with this. I do think 100 % Gov Murphy stepped in. One thing I learnt from all this is an Athletic director is all political. without political pressure Hobbs does zero to get this deal done.
I wonder who made the phone call?

I call BS. ... Lastly, reports were leaked that painted GS as greedy and unwavering. Even Hobbs buddy Christie said GS didn't want the job. ....
+1
You are dead on. If Hobbs was just trying to get GS off his higher demands, he would not have launched a stealth smear campaign? That BOG member that the OP knows is either full of crap and is trying to help salvage Hobbs or he is extremely gullible.

The one thing we can take from this as certain is that Pat still has support on the board.

Edit: and I'm not referring to this board.
Of course he does. He was never acting alone, as the ridiculous rumors state. He might not be a darling of every single person on the BOG. But that's perfectly normal in a job as politically loaded as AD of a major D1 athletics university. You just can't make everybody happy all the time.

I definitely think pulling away from the table was gamesmanship of some kind, as you have to be willing to walk away from any deal. Don't necessarily know on whose side, though, or on both

For one thing, the way it played out has definitely unified and energized the fanbase more than it was the day before negotiations broke down, and managed to pull in the public support of the governor. Harder to badmouth additional spending now than it was before.

Don't know who deserves credit for that, but I think the way it happened ended as a net positive.

That narrative is not accurate. Hobbs didn't start looking at Plan B until after Schiano pulled out of negotiations. At that point, without Schiano willing to negotiation, Hobbs was forced to explore Plan B. That wasn't a negotiation tactic.
I suspect the reality to be nowhere remotely close to as dramatic as all the media-driven, conflicting stories and rumor mongering, and emotional venting of Schiano-only fans made it out to be. It was a perfect storm of fan-base worship combined with media delight in controversy, combined with individuals with various agendas in a position to fuel rumors supporting their agendas.

Most likely, the actual people directly involved thought they were pretty close to an agreement, but were stuck on a thing or two. Which happens and is perfectly understandable. So they both stepped back to reevaluate which is good thinking from both perspectives.

Then they came back to discuss things and got them to work. All the fan-base hysteria probably had minimal impact on the whole thing.

But nobody will ever believe that because the rumors took on a life of their own and more and more rumors were built upon the original rumors until most people just assumed they were facts.

I suspect the reality to be nowhere remotely close to as dramatic as all the media-driven, conflicting stories and rumor mongering, and emotional venting of Schiano-only fans made it out to be. It was a perfect storm of fan-base worship combined with media delight in controversy, combined with individuals with various agendas in a position to fuel rumors supporting their agendas.

Most likely, the actual people directly involved thought they were pretty close to an agreement, but were stuck on a thing or two. Which happens and is perfectly understandable. So they both stepped back to reevaluate which is good thinking from both perspectives.

Then they came back to discuss things and got them to work. All the fan-base hysteria probably had minimal impact on the whole thing.

But nobody will ever believe that because the rumors took on a life of their own and more and more rumors were built upon the original rumors until most people just assumed they were facts.
Yep.

“Was it over when the Germans Pearl Harbor?!!!” - the fanbase

“Germans?” - some media

“Forget it, he’s rolling.” - the rest of the media

Reactions: mildone

Always great to get this kind of insight. I think there is the Hobbs side of the story, the Schiano side of the story and the truth (somewhere in the middle).

+1
You are dead on. If Hobbs was just trying to get GS off his higher demands, he would not have launched a stealth smear campaign? That BOG member that the OP knows is either full of crap and is trying to help salvage Hobbs or he is extremely gullible.

I am no longer a Hobbs fan, but if Hobbs is staying at least for the short term, it would make sense for the bog and everyone to act and play nice about what went down because we will need Hobbs to fundraise so a united front is best but the question is whether the donors forgive him

Hobbs has lost the trust of prominent donors. He's lost the fanbase entirely.

He will not be getting these things back, and there's nothing an administrator, olympic sports coach or BOG member in his corner can do to change that.

He ran the most disorganized, slapped together coaching search in the history of college sports, contradicting himself every step of the way. And worse than all else, he let his personal motives get in the way of the school's best path to success.

As soon as a new President is in place, Hobbs must be removed immediately, and he more than deserves it.
Nah. I trust Hobbs and support him until some facts, not rumors, show a reason to do otherwise. And it's clear others do as well.

The RU fan-base did it's best to poison the coach search by insisting on a single candidate.

Hobbs probably should've fired Ash after last season, but my guess is that he wasn't given the okay to do that at that point due to the costs involved. Other than that, I see no factual basis to conclude he did anything particularly wrong here, despite all the rumors to the contrary.

Reactions: RUpop and suggakane
+1
You have some proof it was Hobbs that launched a "smear campaign"? I won't hold my breath.

And no, providing links to media articles is not proof. Nor is what your aunt's hairdresser's best-friend's dog's pet-sitter's BOG member house-keeper overheard proof either.

Bottom line - except for those in the room, we do not know exactly what happened. So, I'm puzzled why almost everyone is so quick to buy Schiano's spin but not Hobbs's. Why is that? One would think that Hobbs amassed a lot of goodwill by raiding the most money ever and fixing just about everything in the AD except for football (I big exception, I know).

I am no longer a Hobbs fan, but if Hobbs is staying at least for the short term, it would make sense for the bog and everyone to act and play nice about what went down because we will need Hobbs to fundraise so a united front is best but the question is whether the donors forgive him
Yeah, they are all conspiring to act and play nice even though Hobbs is the anti-Christ. That makes perfect sense and is always how these things work everywhere. :WideSmile:

I definitely think pulling away from the table was gamesmanship of some kind, as you have to be willing to walk away from any deal. Don't necessarily know on whose side, though, or on both

For one thing, the way it played out has definitely unified and energized the fanbase more than it was the day before negotiations broke down, and managed to pull in the public support of the governor. Harder to badmouth additional spending now than it was before.

Don't know who deserves credit for that, but I think the way it happened ended as a net positive.
Here’s a big what if? What if there wasn’t a major meltdown throughout Rutgers nation. Big donors fans local and regional media. What if everyone just let it go? Does Hobbs move on to Addazio? Another epic failure in the making.
Without being in the room you never will know the truth. My take, wait and see. If the big donors and bog keep him around. Then he’s ok and he was just playing hardball in negotiations. If there is a push to
have him ousted you know he riled up the wrong people and almost botched the deal.
Question I have, who does Schiano answer to?
Is Hobbs still in charge of all sports?

Bottom line - except for those in the room, we do not know exactly what happened. So, I'm puzzled why almost everyone is so quick to buy Schiano's spin but not Hobbs's. Why is that? One would think that Hobbs amassed a lot of goodwill by raiding the most money ever and fixing just about everything in the AD except for football (I big exception, I know).

Maybe because of the way Hobbs handled the (planned) game at Yankee Stadium, and the 150th anniversary. Both are examples of the less than perfect side of Pat Hobbs.

Is what I'm saying. People should't believe the spin from anybody about anything without corroborated proof, of which there is none. Absent any proof, applying some logic and Occam's razor is what's called for.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT