ADVERTISEMENT

Some Saturday info on GS

Ohio State, with all their huge money, is paying their soon-to-be 12-0 coach, who may well win both the Big Ten and National Championships, only 500K more than what RU has been offering Schiano. So while those salaries might be in the bottom third of big ten salaries, it doesn’t get much higher tier than Ohio State.

I’m pretty sure the very public Schiano-only cult adoration does more to limit who would come here to coach than the compensation we are willing to pay.
lol, how long will it be before Day's contract is extended.
Day is a first year HC getting first year pay, but soon to make what Urban was making.
Day was a gamble by the Buckeyes ,they felt he could do the job instead of bringing in experienced HCs that would command far more money.
But being a gamble, Day received far less than a well respected experienced HC like Matt Campbell would have cost.

Rutgers would give him Ash type money because he wasn't experienced enough , even if he was a interim HC for a few games
That's the comparison that should be looked at as well.
Schiano has had Head Coaching experience , along with knowing the territory and already has proved he can make Crown Roast from a bag of pork rinds from the time he took over a downtrodden Rutgers Football Program before.

Is Greg worth the money, yes.
Is Day worth far more than he's getting now:
from this year's play > that's a gimme , but wasn't before this season started.

I won't put in any insults in my replies, because I'm not scared Greg won't get hired.
If he doesn't I'll support the person hired instead of him and if I think he's as good or better: will applaud the hire.
If I question if he can get it done, keep that to myself and hope my fear is unwarranted and will not knock the hire .
Just state I hope he gets the full support from Hobbs he'll need to turn this program around .

Last edited:
Greg knows the president is a lame duck and the AD is in shaky ground. I don’t blame him for wanting as much as possible in writing. At the same time, the board is looking at with the same concerns, do you really want to tie your next president, and potentially AD’s, hands?

Thing is, most of the cost is wrapped up in University assets. This is what it takes to compete.

Yes. Most of the cost is wrapped up in what will be University assets that are mostly paid with funds from outside the University.

Reactions: czxqa
If OP is correct.. JUST GIVE HIM THE "OUT" if facilities are not built

What is there to think about? Tell him you'll give it your best shot to build the facilities and if you cannot, then he has the OPTION to leave. Big deal.. some involved don't want him anyway.

As to the facilities.. get creative.. combine it with classroom, dorms, hotel complex, make it a multi-use emergency shelter for Middlesex County (if it were Bergen County you know it would happen).. there has to be 100 ways you can make this a win-win-win for football, Rutgers and New Jersey.

Funny others with BOG sources are reporting Hobbs has nothing to do with negotiations this time around.

It would not surprise me if Hobbs was not at the table. I’ve done a lot of negotiations and it is sometimes helpful to take a stumbling block out of the discussion. Almost like starting anew but the facts and needs by both sides are on the table. There is no need to tease them out.

Reactions: Scarlet83
All those big donors and fans complain g should ante up the 100mill

Didnt Michigan just spend $168 million on a new facility?

When you factor in that he is asking for this to be spent in the future, he's asking for 1/2 the money that they spent.

I'm not saying you have to be competitive with the big boys but you have to at least commit to spending 1/2.

Couple that with the fact that they are balking at a price tag that would put him in the lower 1/2 of the B1G in terms of salary.

Just leave the conference already and go play in the Colonial if you cant make 1/2 the commitment of other schools in the conference. RU will be receiving full shares when this money is going to be spent as well.

This is not just a Schiano issue. No coach is going to be successful with this level of commitment.

I still believe the hang up is deadlines. The BOG, Hobbs, etc have already committed to getting the facilities up to big ten standards. They just completed several state of the art buildings and finished a 100million dollar fundraising effort. The BOG may think that raising the money to do what he wants can’t be done within the deadlines for which he is asking. If it is in the contract that means he can quit and still get paid. Normally if you guit you don’t get the guaranteed money. A deadline breach means RU violated the contract and he can quit and get paid. It’s not the facilities it’s the deadlines, IMO, as I have said before I have no sources.

I confused him opting out and walking away while paid his contract balance with another team buying him out if he exercises an opt-out. Good thing I'm not an AD charged with negotiating.
Other people in this thread and I have mentioned in other posts in this thread, we have no problem with an opt out if that means he doesn’t owe a buyout but Rutgers doesn’t owe him anything either if he walks.

if he is looking to be able to walk along with the being paid the balance of the guarantee on his contract, he should be told to go F himself.

Last edited:

unfortunately our fans do the opposite of what is needed. When the going gets tough, the wallets slam closed, not that there was much coming out of them when things were better anyway

Ohio State, with all their huge money, is paying their soon-to-be 12-0 coach, who may well win both the Big Ten and National Championships, only 500K more than what RU has been offering Schiano. So while those salaries might be in the bottom third of big ten salaries, it doesn’t get much higher tier than Ohio State.

I’m pretty sure the very public Schiano-only cult adoration does more to limit who would come here to coach than the compensation we are willing to pay.
Oh please, you're cherry-picking again. Meyer was one of the highest paid coaches in football for his tenure at OSU and got everything else he wanted with regard to assistant salaries and facilities. Day is new and they weren't going to give him Meyer money to start, but will soon if he manages OSU to a national championship.

Reactions: lighty
So in summary. Nothing is different than like 3 days ago with insiders posting bs , many debating their contract expertise, and the usual calling fans cheap and it being our fault Rutgers signed up for the B1G but isn't willing to invest in football success.

Glad I wasted 15mins on this thread. Now I can go turn on the slaughter.

Reactions: ATIOH and RUaMoose

When you factor in that he is asking for this to be spent in the future, he's asking for 1/2 the money that they spent.

I'm not saying you have to be competitive with the big boys but you have to at least commit to spending 1/2.

Couple that with the fact that they are balking at a price tag that would put him in the lower 1/2 of the B1G in terms of salary.

Just leave the conference already and go play in the Colonial if you cant make 1/2 the commitment of other schools in the conference. RU will be receiving full shares when this money is going to be spent as well.

This is not just a Schiano issue. No coach is going to be successful with this level of commitment.
I am all for RU investing huge in it’s FB program. Huge. I’d be 100% behind paying $10M/year to Meyer, for example. I would love to see RU build a new field house, and a new football facility to replace or augment the Hale center.

Having said that, it’s interesting to consider that Michigan just spent $168M on a building and had a halftime deficit of 28-16 to OSU today. We had a halftime deficit of 35-7 to OSU with a guy who was coaching HS two seasons ago as head coach and OC (a guy earning 1/7th what the UM coach earns), with our third string QB, and without one of our best players and starting RB.

Hm. Doesn’t mean we shouldn’t improve our facilities and pay a lot to our staff. But it does give one pause for thought.

Reactions: RUhobbit
Oh please, you're cherry-picking again. Meyer was one of the highest paid coaches in football for his tenure at OSU and got everything else he wanted with regard to assistant salaries and facilities. Day is new and they weren't going to give him Meyer money to start, but will soon if he manages OSU to a national championship.
Stop stirring the pot!!!

(But I agree with you). :WideSmile:

Reactions: RU848789
Yep. And Schiano hasn’t been a CFB head coach in a decade. And hasn’t had any success at all as a head coach since he left RU.

The point is that you pay a coach fair market value. Our offer of $4M could have attracted a good coach to RU before our fan base and boosters expressed such a strong Schiano-only attitude that will surely turn a lot of good coaches off to coming here. Who would want to be the guy that isn’t Schiano?

Reactions: rufeelinit
you are complaining.. where's your $100M?\

There's what.. 9M people in New Jersey? That's about $11 per person.. for their stat U to have a facility equal that of Minnesota? A facility that would last 40 years or more and have a positive affect for at least 20? So that's 50 cents a year per resident?

ohhhhh I guess we're asking too much.

Maybe we should bus the players up to the American Dream and let them practice there. What did that cost the state's residents?

Reactions: Kbee3
Give him the opt out. If we don’t build anything by 2023 let him go and then call the AAC for membership, we’ll replace UConn there. He’s asking for basic Big 10 facilities. Any other guy worth hiring is going to ask for the same things. The Rutgers administration was never serious about the Big 10.

Exactly how I see it.

Reactions: jay_hq
you are complaining.. where's your $100M?\

There's what.. 9M people in New Jersey? That's about $11 per person.. for their stat U to have a facility equal that of Minnesota? A facility that would last 40 years or more and have a positive affect for at least 20? So that's 50 cents a year per resident?

ohhhhh I guess we're asking too much.

Maybe we should bus the players up to the American Dream and let them practice there. What did that cost the state's residents?
Surprised our bball teams didn't have to bus the camden to the 76ers place we built them .

Yep. And Schiano hasn’t been a CFB head coach in a decade. And hasn’t had any success at all as a head coach since he left RU.

The point is that you pay a coach fair market value. Our offer of $4M could have attracted a good coach to RU before our fan base and boosters expressed such a strong Schiano-only attitude that will surely turn a lot of good coaches off to coming here. Who would want to be the guy that isn’t Schiano?

You’re stating your speculation as fact. We have no idea whether a “good coach” would’ve come here. The program is a mess.

We know the fanbase publicly screaming they won't support anyone but Greg - damn sure didn't help. His worshippers are a special kind of psycho

You’re stating your speculation as fact. We have no idea whether a “good coach” would’ve come here. The program is a mess.

No I’m not speculating. Butch Jones has a winning record everywhere he’s been and has won 4 championships. It’s reasonable to debate if he’s better or worse than Schiano. But he has a better record and is a good coach.

And he wanted the job. Might not now, though.

If Greg wanted to be the next RU HC then the deal would already be announced.

Something is not right here.

Time for RU to move on if a deal with Greg is not already in place.

Maybe Greg feels he will have other offers?

I actually met a BC fan today who told me that Greg is likely their next HC. WTF?

If Greg wanted to be the next RU HC then the deal would already be announced.

Something is not right here.

Time for RU to move on if a deal with Greg is not already in place.

Maybe Greg feels he will have other offers?

I actually met a BC fan today who told me that Greg is likely their next HC. WTF?
It may be a done deal and will be announced soon as the final paperwork is completed on Monday. Or maybe tomorrow. No way of knowing and most of the so-called inside info people have posted has been sketchy in terms of accuracy.

Reactions: Knightmoves
This is from the same source who is close to a BOG member involved in the negotiations:

GS agent spoke with Hobbs and Brown Thanksgiving night and Friday.

Main unresolved issues are around facilities. Greg wants an out of the contract if investments aren’t made by 2023. I don’t know the particulars around what level of investment needs to be made by then. GS has come down on facilities that need to be replaced (no new Hale Center).

Donors are being asked to cover air travel and GS pared back on the unlimited use part.

When I asked him if he thinks they can get to a signed agreement, he said that it’s a lot to ask for $90-100 million in improvements to facilities for one sport.

Hmm. This sounds like very bad news.

Hobbs still involved, and that last line sounds like a Hobbs talking point. RU still botches this imo.

No I’m not speculating. Butch Jones has a winning record everywhere he’s been and has won 4 championships. It’s reasonable to debate if he’s better or worse than Schiano. But he has a better record and is a good coach.

And he wanted the job. Might not now, though.

I would have taken Butch Jones is a second. He was our best option from the beginning.

Reactions: Mr Magoo

This
Act like you want to be a B1G Program or get out.

Michigan is the all time winningest program. Your Rutgers.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT