ADVERTISEMENT

Something to do while we wait

BeKnighted

Heisman Winner
Jan 15, 2003
I really think this is the worst week of the season - nothing to do but wait. I even miss the old B12 tourney schedule, which had the women and men going on at the same time, so you had some decent teams playing towards the end of the week. So I tried to think of something to keep us interested while we're waiting for Selection Monday.

And here it is: What have been your favorite RU NCAA tournament games, in two categories: games you actually attended and games you saw on TV? Let's try to keep it to two in each category (not that I can enforce that).

Here are my choices:

In person

2007 National semifinal - the sheer shock of how they just blitzed LSU was phenomenal, and of course that game even happening at all was such a gift

2009 2nd round game - A lot of people even picked VCU to beat RU in the first round, so the blowout in the 2nd round was very satisfying, but honestly the best thing was chanting "Ki-a Vau-ughn" and "Hea-ther Zur-ich" as each of them came out of their last game at the RAC.

On TV

2007 Regional semifinal - one of the biggest upsets ever, and the sheer disbelief on the part of the announcers when Piph took the ball down the court to put RU ahead was delicious.

Good game; I'll play. Can't remember a TV

Saw in person:

2007 Regional Semi against Duke. Piph's court-long drive for the winner was great. But equally as exciting was the late foul call against Duke's Lindsey Harding. A high percentage shooter with a chance to snatch victory from us. One of the few times I remember an endgame going totally our way.

2014 WNIT Final - Eerily similar full court drive by TScaife for the winner. Piph's drive was the first thing that popped into my head when Tyler scored the game winner.

Since I can't recall any TV games, I am taking a 3rd "in-person" game

February 2001 - RU-ND at the RAC- as loud a game as I can ever recall being at. Tammy Sutton-Brown almost single-handedly beat 23-0 Notre Dame by fouling out Ruth Riley, making the game-winning free throw and blocking the attempted shot by ND's Niele Ivey. Game was one of the first RU Women's games I ever attended and it was one of the best.

gonna add another in person game. Final game of Big East Tournament in Hartford in 2007. I remember Matee Ajavon flinging the ball upward as time ran out and we beat UConn 55-47. If I remember correctly, it was my first BE Tournament.
This post was edited on 3/12 3:57 PM by RUClassof67

The 2007 Regional final against Duke was pretty much epic...as was the win over LSU shortly after.

Another fond memory for me was 2005 in Storrs, CT - the first 2 rounds against Hartford and Temple (coached by Dawn Staley). The powers that be gave us the late game both nights which meant returning to Central NJ in the wee hours of the morning.

What I remember most was that all the Uconn fans stayed around late just to cheer against us. It was nice to disappoint them.

I will always remember the win in Portland, Or. that sent us to the final four. I can still see Linda Miles, putting the team on her back and willing them to win.

Of course the game in Greensboro will always stand out. When the Duke player was fouled, I jumped out of my seat and turned to leave. Someone grabbed in and said wait wait it isn't over. I watched in amazement as the Duke player missed the two fouls. Before the game, I remember one of the workers at the site, seeing my RU jersey, came up to me and said, they have to remember this is Dukes building but Duke don't have the key..

I can still see Tasha , seconds remaining , sprinting to take the rebound ball from Tammy when we knocked off #1 ND at the Rac.

I guess we fans are pretty much in agreement.

My TV game is the same as the poster above: The Regional Final against Georgia with the twins in tears in 2000. It ended about 2 am as it was on the West Coast. I jumped up with my arms raised. The phone rang. It was my neighbor and now season-ticket-holder, who watched my reaction from her window. We made plans for Philadelphia. What joy!

As this exercise is limited to NCAA games I attended, I have no variations on my reaction to the Duke Regional semi-final. I had told friends we visited in Greensboro that we'd be leaving after the game. No way we'd win. I remembered the score of the Duke game in December. Dearly Beloved and I were there to support our team, not view a victory. We were seated behind BobMan, who was beyond cheering. He was standing in the final minutes and I had to peek around him to see Piff flying down the court. I was a non-believer until the final buzzer. Miss one. Well, overtime. Miss two. Unbelievable. Loved CViv's final jab at the selection committee.

Was it my lucky pink sweater, recycled from the "Think Pink" game? A friend of Dearly Beloved printed out a photo of us taken from the TV broadcast. Proof I was there.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT