ADVERTISEMENT

Sports Illustrated: October 26, 2020 The Reverberations of RU's Shocking Opening Win Over MSU

I have thought alot about the Hobbs stance on Greg after the fact and I'm not sure his hands were not tied. Barchi was at the end of his tenure as President of the University and was trying to get out without any major controversy. I think the way it went down is Hobbs had his marching orders from Barchi that he could hire someone (anyone) but had to stay within a budget for both a head coach and Staff. Greg was available and Hobbs wanted to see if he could get Greg on the cheap. Greg is a smart man and knows his worth and told Hobbs to go scratch with his lowball offer and talks broke down. This is where we the fans jumped in to make this happen. After 8 years of scandal, player arrests, declining football academic achievement, and most importantly bottom of all of college football achievement on the field, The fans had enough and demanded that greg be hired. most of us on this board emailed, tweeted, and got on media to put pressure on Hobbs and Barchi to make this happen. It worked, Thats why politi of all people said the fans are the ones who we owe the bigggest gratitutde to. Without us Greg may have never ended back up here. So I am not sure Hobbs had free reign to do what he wanted until there was such outcry from the fans that even Barchi had to open up the purse strings to hire greg and I am so glad many people came to their senses.

IMO if Hobbs had not signed GS... the fans would have stormed the Bastille and torn up Pat's contract!

MO

It is water under the bridge. Hobbs didn't get removed and he's still here. Fball is well on track.

BUT when things start rolling and Hobbs jumps front and center in front of any camera or interview request and starts basking in it, many here will put that in its proper perspective-namely the guy who intended to keep GS away to get someone he could control but who was FORCED to get the deal completed. Nothing more.

The facts as we know them certainly suggest Hobbs was against GS being hired but had his hand forced by the big donors and fanbase at large engaging Murphy, local media and anyone else we could get to listen.

That said it's water under the bridge at this point. If GS and Pike can build on their initial success no one will remember last November/December.
Yep . And if schiano is successful, hobbs will get an assist and some credit as long as he gets schiano the resources he needs.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
"And that’s the part that should resonate on Rocky Top. For nearly three years, Tennessee (18) fans have been congratulating themselves on their mutiny that stopped Schiano from being hired as coach of the Volunteers. Hidden behind disingenuous “concerns” about Schiano’s potential knowledge of what Jerry Sandusky was doing when they both were assistants at Penn State was the real reason: Tennessee fans thought they were too good for Greg Schiano."

Gosh the ads are brutal when reading it on a phone. First few paragraphs were quite good, then the full page ads came in, froze, tapped it close then immediately got served another. made It unreadable.

The facts as we know them certainly suggest Hobbs was against GS being hired but had his hand forced by the big donors and fanbase at large engaging Murphy, local media and anyone else we could get to listen.

That said it's water under the bridge at this point. If GS and Pike can build on their initial success no one will remember last November/December.
Progress is not a straight line. Yeah,
We hear it fell apart for a bit but the important thing is that we’re here now and that’s all that matter. Let’s win some more football games

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT