ADVERTISEMENT

St Bonnie’s Justin Winston how did we miss him

biazza38

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Do we completely lack the ability to recognize talented young big man in our state? We missed the Giorgi guy on Illinois two years ago and now we missed this 6’8 Winston guy from NJ playing for the Bonnie’s. I know we offered, but did we not push for him? I know we only had two open ships last fall, but the scholly situation is very fluid from year to year. Always assume you will have more spots open. Because guess what, you always do. Winston is 6’8 and shot 4-5 from three. Even though he’s gone, Eugene was a good late pick up years ago, and so was Myles Johnson. But I’m a little concerned with our low post recruiting. Of course landing Cliff O erases all of that.

Didn't RU only have room for one & took Mulcahy?
I believe it was two at the time. We had one open ship last year and Shaq was a senior. You can also assume you’re always going to lose at least one non senior. Can’t remember the last time RU didn’t have a transfer or someone leave the program in the last decade. We undersigned and only have 11 scholly players this season

I believe it was two at the time. We had one open ship last year and Shaq was a senior. You can also assume you’re always going to lose at least one non senior. Can’t remember the last time RU didn’t have a transfer or someone leave the program in the last decade. We undersigned and only have 11 scholly players this season
Oic, had 2 available and took Mulcahy. Then in June EO suddenly transferred leaving 2 open again. Gotcha.

Reactions: biazza38
Oic, had 2 available and took Mulcahy. Then in June EO suddenly transferred leaving 2 open again. Gotcha.
Yep, as a fan it hurts to see we only have 11 scholarship guys. Losing Eugene late obviously impacted that. I guess that shows how difficult recruiting can be

What’s the matter with you guys???? Justin Winston...really? How many times did you watch him play in HS? I actually watched him a few times over the years....wasn’t overly impressed.

Pikel is aiming higher (good).

How did this big miss wind up at St Bonaventure and not in ACC, B1G, Big East? Local SHP or St Johns??

C’mon guys, bad loss yesterday but sheeez...

We offered him "unofficially" meaning that if I spot opened he had a scholarship. Seton Hall and PItt did the same thing late in the process. He decided to stick with the coach that recruited him from the jump. Sam situation as Gorgi. We offered but he choose a different school

Seems like another case of a local kid, going to a smaller school, and having a game of his career against us. This is why I hate the fact that we’re playing Monmouth in football next year.

Reactions: bac2therac
Do we completely lack the ability to recognize talented young big man in our state? We missed the Giorgi guy on Illinois two years ago and now we missed this 6’8 Winston guy from NJ playing for the Bonnie’s. I know we offered, but did we not push for him? I know we only had two open ships last fall, but the scholly situation is very fluid from year to year. Always assume you will have more spots open. Because guess what, you always do. Winston is 6’8 and shot 4-5 from three. Even though he’s gone, Eugene was a good late pick up years ago, and so was Myles Johnson. But I’m a little concerned with our low post recruiting. Of course landing Cliff O erases all of that.

The point is valid regarding Giorgi, who was great as a freshman in the Big 10 last year. But, I would not anoint Winston a P5 player based on one game. If all you saw was Peter Kiss drop 17 points on FDU last year on 80% shooting, including three 3-point baskets, you'd have thought he was destined to be all-Big 10.

Winston was 4-5 on threes against us. He was probably super psyched to play us. In 4 games at 6'8" he only has 12 rebounds for 3.0 per game. He has 1 assist and 5 turnovers in 5 games. He shot very well from three against us but was only 1-4 in the other 3 games for 5-9 total for the 4 games. It remains to be seen how he will do over the season. Many kids have a super game but their overall season stats might be much less.

Reactions: OntheBanks
Everyone shoots well from 3 against us bc they have all the time in the world to get set.

He played a very good game regardless. We should be aiming higher.

Reactions: RUDead and kcg88
Seems like another case of a local kid, going to a smaller school, and having a game of his career against us. This is why I hate the fact that we’re playing Monmouth in football next year.

Why do you hate that ? Two completely different sports. We shouldn’t lose to Monmouth in football if 20 of their guys have career games against us ..but wait the ash effect. If we are concerned than ash was more than not a closer

His own coach didn't seem to know what he had - played a minute in their home opener. He played out of his mind against RU, let's not get crazy

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT