ADVERTISEMENT

Starting 5 Next Year (Assuming Sanders Qualifies)

TrueRU

Senior
Gold Member
Feb 4, 2004
If Sanders is here, I would like to go something like this next year.

G Sanders
G Williams (hopefully he can find his shot over the summer)
F Etou
F Foreman
C Lewis

Bench:
G Daniels (better off the bench as 6th man IMO)
C Doorson
C Diallo
G Okoro (he shows flashes, and we could use help at G)
G/F Johnson
G Goode (hopefully Goode and/or Johnson can shoot it. we need shooters bad)
F Johnson

Just an FYI, I have asked multiple insiders and they say that all indications are that Sanders suits up for us in 2015.

I think Ryan Johnson will surprise us with 6+ points next year.

Daniels would probably be better off as a 6th man. Him or williams.

Lewis will fight for center with Diallo.

All in all, i have no idea how to predict a starting five but i do think we'll be better off with an actual bench. Ryan Johnson was seen as the best shooter hands down against Oak Hill, one of the best HS programs in America. Add in hes 6 6 and you have more length. He needs to put on 15 pounds though and that should be priority.

I am hoping we have a pretty drastic improvement in terms of having shooters on the floor (we had one this year with Mack).

Williams - Hopefully he can bulk up some and regain his shooting stroke that he had coming out of high school

Johnson - Has been heralded as a shooter, but needs work in the weight room. Hopefully he doesn't fall into what happened with Williams this year

Goode - Again regarded as a shooter coming in, but is a big question mark.

Okoro - Has hit some 3's here, but has somewhat of an ugly shot and not sure if he can be counted on as a shooter.

Sanders - I don't think he is known as a shooter (more of a slasher and disher), but hopefully he can knock some down.

With the dire lack of shooting ability on this roster, I can see Goode getting a solid amount of minutes if he can live up to the billing. Probably would put Daniels in as the G opposite Sanders and have Goode be the sixth man.

Williams to me, looks like a boy amongst men on the court. I'd say Goode has a better chance of developing into a role player.

I noticed Justin Goode and one of Eddie's "guys" chatting it up behind the bench.

We were down at least 10 points but Goode was engaged with the coach. It could have been about the Purdue co-eds or it could have been about basketball. If anything, we can use his shooting and perhaps the high IQ of a recruit like Charles Minlend, Jr., a 6-4 guard with a 6-11 wingspan. He can fill it up, too.

This post was edited on 2/27 4:42 PM by Aggs

If you are predicting most likely starting lineup for next season, I agree with green.

Have to hope that other guys can find their roles and that as a whole they are more talented than current group

Just an FYI, I have asked multiple insiders and they say that all indications are that Sanders suits up for us in 2015.

---------

must have this

Sanders has been hitting 3's in his high school game rather well.

If EJ puts together his roster the right way, this team will be decent. Has to use all of his players and make each player feel like they have a good role. Stay away from the starting five type of mentality.

So here it is:

PG Sanders-I know its tough to ask a freshman for so much but I promise you this is the best player coming in for us in a long long time. Better than Mack, Carter, Rosario, Chandler and others. He will be the real deal.

SG Williams/Johnson/Goode I've said this in multiple threads, the guy who shows me that they can shoot the three without being the defensive liability will be the one who plays. We need 3-5 3 pointers a game from this group in order to have any success.

SF Etou I am really hoping that he can step up and be the second option next year. If not I have to hope that we add Deshawn Freeman.

PF Foreman - We will be rotating alot of people next year in the paint, so even though I picked Foreman it could be anyone

C Lewis -See above, but I think the senior will get the starting nod at center. On a side note I hope his senior year turns out like Joynes senior year where he eventually becomes an unspectacular but solid player.

Bench:

G-Daniels -I and a bunch of people have said this he needs to be the 6th man. He can really help us in spurts but he can't be a 30m/g player again with all the turnovers and mental mistakes. He could end up playing the point and the shooting guard for 10-20 min/g.

Doorson/Diallo - They will be the next set of people off the bench, subbing in for Foreman and Lewis. If the other Johnson or even better if Freeman plays, then I see Etou playing some 4 as well which would be awesome because its been a long long time since we were this deep in the paint.

Johnson and Johnson
-don't forget 3 star Kejan Johnson suits up for us next year as well. If Ryan Johnson doesn't start I see were he can be one of the guys early off the bench when we go with a 3 guard set. Plus someone needs to take some minutes at the three, especially if Etou plays a little PF.

Okoro -
I think he will get the short end of the stick, unless he steps up, then we have a good problem to have.

I really really want Freeman he will put us over the top but still I think we will be much much better next year.

The most competition will be where we need it most-shooting guard. Shot makers. Still, Daniels is included in that mix,too. If anyone was to come out of the sg mix and be a backup point i think it would be Williams.

Look for Diallo to battle with Lewis. I think Lewis keeps it though. I look forward to this roster next year. I have been for a couple of months now.

I don't buy for a minute that Sanders should be viewed as a better player than Mack,Carter,Rosario and Chandler.Carter and Rosario played for Florida a elite program.All four of those players were the go to scorer for Rutgers and are better outside shooters than Sanders.

Originally posted by soundcrib:
Sanders
A big (Doorson/Lewis, whoever is better)
Etou
A guy that can shoot
A guy that can shoot

Posted from Rivals Mobile
Spot on......Shooters Matter !!!!!

:
This post was edited on 2/28 11:38 PM by RU-Choppin-Ohio

jm- Sanders is probably more athletic than any of those listed. Like you aid though, not as pure of a shooter as Mack off the beat. Or Carter. The other two i don't know much about.

Nonetheless, Sanders is more athletic and he will be able to beat people off the dribble better than Mack or Carter. Beating people off the dribble is almost equally as important in todays game as being a good shooter.

Draw 2, find the open man. Repeat.

Originally posted by higgins3:
jm- Sanders is probably more athletic than any of those listed. Like you aid though, not as pure of a shooter as Mack off the beat. Or Carter. The other two i don't know much about.

Nonetheless, Sanders is more athletic and he will be able to beat people off the dribble better than Mack or Carter. Beating people off the dribble is almost equally as important in todays game as being a good shooter.

Draw 2, find the open man. Repeat.
That's the college game today.... dribble penetration and shooters

Sanders
Etou
A guy that can shoot
A guy that can shoot
Amen. We just need some guys who can shoot, play high IQ team oriented bball and hustle on defense. We are not as bad as we look if we could just shoot better and move the ball better. I disagree with those who feel losing Mack and Jack will make this team worse, provided the new guys coming in can shoot and our returning players improve their shooting/offense repertoire.

Add to the mix the last schollie for next year...hopefully it's someone who can play immediately.

Question: Is there any possibility that the schollie remains open for a potential grad to enroll at RU?

Originally posted by BigEastPhil:

Add to the mix the last schollie for next year...hopefully it's someone who can play immediately.

Question: Is there any possibility that the schollie remains open for a potential grad to enroll at RU?
I'm sure that's possible, but I don't have any inside knowledge of the staff's plans.

Would you rather have someone like Freeman for two years or a grad transfer for one? Probably depends on the player.

Originally posted by RU-JMM78:

I don't buy for a minute that Sanders should be viewed as a better player than Mack,Carter,Rosario and Chandler.Carter and Rosario played for Florida a elite program.All four of those players were the go to scorer for Rutgers and are better outside shooters than Sanders.
Lets just say I am very very high on Sanders.

Originally posted by RUMountie:

Sanders
Etou
A guy that can shoot
A guy that can shoot

Amen. We just need some guys who can shoot, play high IQ team oriented bball and hustle on defense. We are not as bad as we look if we could just shoot better and move the ball better. I disagree with those who feel losing Mack and Jack will make this team worse, provided the new guys coming in can shoot and our returning players improve their shooting/offense repertoire.
Yep...I love Mack but he is too easy to defend when playing the point.... he is not good at dribble penetration.

Good thread... good to see guys with basketball knowledge talk about what makes a team more competitive.... instead of the Jordan is a horrible coach nonsense..

This post was edited on 2/28 11:48 PM by RU-Choppin-Ohio

This post was edited on 3/1 1:26 AM by RU-Choppin-Ohio

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT