ADVERTISEMENT

Steve Pikiell to visit 2018 G Montez Mathis tomorrow

Auburn? Afraid of Auburn?
Should be concerned for sure. Don't under estimate Bruce Pearl.

Also after seeing Mathis in Atlanta this past weekend, I understand why Rutgers pushed so hard for a commitment from him a couple of weeks ago.

They knew what would happen in April

Once the big names come knocking we usually get out the way.

Should be concerned for sure. Don't under estimate Bruce Pearl.

Also after seeing Mathis in Atlanta this past weekend, I understand why Rutgers pushed so hard for a commitment from him a couple of weeks ago.

They knew what would happen in April

One positive is that Pikiell has already proven he can beat Bruce Pearl in a recruiting battle. Stole Peter Kiss from Pearl the weekend after his visit to Auburn. Not that Kiss is the same level of talent as Montez at all... but just saying.

Reactions: Scangg
The higher the level of recruiting interest the harder it gets to close the deal for top tier recruits.Elite schools like Kansas cherry pick the best players in every sport and that is what separates them from schools at Rutgers level.Mathis just is the latest example of a player who increased his recruiting interest by excelling at spring AAU tournaments.

I know one thing. Pikiell and our assistants are all over the country recruiting and working hard. Hopefully Mathis will realize how hard Pikiell wants him at RU and will reward him.

One positive is that Pikiell has already proven he can beat Bruce Pearl in a recruiting battle. Stole Peter Kiss from Pearl the weekend after his visit to Auburn. Not that Kiss is the same level of talent as Montez at all... but just saying.
No theft involved.

Kiss was not going to Auburn once JuCo wing Malik Dunbar committed to Auburn. Which I think happened the day after Kiss visited

Reactions: playorbplayd
I think Kansas recruiting a player and offeri g a player are two different things. ...and even if an offer is made, schools like Kansas can ask a recruit newer to their recruiting board to wait....Kansas also offer three other kids that were at the AAU event just a week or so ago...none of those kids could verbal to Kansas tomorrow and have KU accept the verbal.

There is a woe is me attitude that believes RU is only going to beat out mid majors for recruits. If It gets to a point where Mathis is the top guard on Kansas board, then I would treat it differently. ..as of now, Kansas and Auburn like every Power 5 school has to extend an offer.

As kids come off the board, the 50-60 offers by a school get whittled down to the 2-3 kids they land. If Kansas offers then so should Duke, Carolina, Kentucky etc....it's that pool of players that Kansas typically lands.

Is every good recruiter a snake oil salesman? Because I see that term used often in reference to good recruiters

Recruiting vs the SEC seems to be a bit different. Many of the football recruiting practices seem to have bled over to the basketball side of the "factories." The NCAA will not do anything about it so whenever I see an SEC school involved I would say that our chances change to a "long shot." Mathis will do whatever is best for him and his family.

Don't tell me you're actually going to defend Bruce Pearl? http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/news/story?id=5714649
Oh he broke the rules by entertaining unofficial visitors off campus, told the parents to lie to the NCAA about it and initially lied to the NCAA himself. Plus he exceeded call & text limits (a rule that has since been changed).

But what part is the "Snake Oil Salesman" part?

Snake Oil was a fraudulent product, so a snake oil salesman is someone who is selling a fraudulent product.

What fraudulent product is he selling?

Reactions: RUPartisan
I believe that Rutgers is still in good shape with Mathis. He's a priority for RU, they "need" him. Some of these schools who have recently jumped in "want" him but he's not the top guy on their board at that position.

Baker, Kiss, Mathis would be an awesome trio. All have the height and wingspan to be able to compete at this level.

I'll say it again ...this is the kid I want
Recruits like Mathis have choices and for some Rutgers comes with risks based on past history of losing.Pikiell and staff must overcome the past history and somehow convince recruits that Rutgers can successfully compete in the B1G.This isn't a easy nut to crack because previous Rutgers head coaches failed to change recruits perception of Rutgers as a destination school.As fans we are just bystanders watching the recruiting process and hoping that Rutgers finally gets out of the abyss and shows that they can be relevant in college basketball.

Recruits like Mathis have choices and for some Rutgers comes with risks based on past history of losing.Pikiell and staff must overcome the past history and somehow convince recruits that Rutgers can successfully compete in the B1G.This isn't a easy nut to crack because previous Rutgers head coaches failed to change recruits perception of Rutgers as a destination school.As fans we are just bystanders watching the recruiting process and hoping that Rutgers finally gets out of the abyss and shows that they can be relevant in college basketball.
Pikiell can point to all sorts of improvement from last year at least and anyone who watched a game can see the coaching and effort. That's why I am 100% sold on a basketball turn around.

Ash who I fully support looks to have a tougher sell recruiting than pikiell bc ash saw a 2-10 season with massive blow outs. Tougher to sell recruits off that compared to the improvement shown in the bball team in all sorts of statistical categories

Peter Kiss was handed over to us by Auburn. Trust me Auburn won't hand Mathis that easily. Lol

Peter Kiss was handed over to us by Auburn. Trust me Auburn won't hand Mathis that easily. Lol

There's really no value-add in your comment... at all. Obviously there are a lot of variables in recruiting. They're two different humans, with different priorities. They obviously will not be recruited or think the same. My point was that we beat Bruce Pearl for Kiss. That is it. Not inferring that it gives us the upper hand in all recruiting battles against Auburn. Though, we should routinely be able to beat Auburn in recruiting matchups. Better school, basketball conference, location etc.

Reactions: RUWESTIES
Oh he broke the rules by entertaining unofficial visitors off campus, told the parents to lie to the NCAA about it and initially lied to the NCAA himself. Plus he exceeded call & text limits (a rule that has since been changed).

But what part is the "Snake Oil Salesman" part?

Snake Oil was a fraudulent product, so a snake oil salesman is someone who is selling a fraudulent product.

What fraudulent product is he selling?
More than anything else people hate a hypocrite. And this is a guy who made a name for himself in his early career at Iowa by blowing the whistle on a rival program (Illinois) and throwing a recruit under the bus and then goes out and blatantly breaks the rules and directs others to do the same when he was at Tennessee. Pretty good description of someone who's a fraud to me.

Last edited:
More than anything else people hate a hypocrite. And this is a guy who made a name for himself in his early career at Iowa by blowing the whistle on a rival program (Illinois) Abd throwing a recruit unde the bus and then goes out an blatantly breaks the rules and directs others to do the same when he was st Tennessee. Pretty good description of someone who's a fraud to me.

Quick read on it if people don't know about the Pearl/Illinois situation. I personally am a Bruce Peal fan, but he completely crapped the bed here.

https://deadspin.com/5898192/bruce-...world-that-created-a-monster-deadspin-classic

Reactions: Russ Wood
It got them an 18-14 record. And, what was being criticized here was Auburn's (Pearl) ability to recruit, not their record.

Hopefully, our advantage with Mathis is the relationship built over many many months before others came calling. Also, having 3 former guards as coaches call sell Mathis on their ability to develop his game.

They don't develop Guards at Kansas ?

Obviously, you missed the point or did not even try to see the point I was making. It's about planting that belief in the recruits mind and selling it. There was a recent 4 star PG recruit who recently said Rutgers was on his list for that same reason, so it does not take a brain surgeon to conclude that the staff is using it as a selling point.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT