ADVERTISEMENT

Steve Pikiell to visit 2018 G Montez Mathis tomorrow

No shortage of effort here by Pike and staff....too bad there are people that are only interested in the results, but we have probably 4 spots and 40-50 targets of note right now....too many people will focus on the ones you don't get, which is in the numbers game, means the naysayers will be right on 90-95% of the targets we don't get....there are 10+ SG's between 2018 & 2019 classes, probably going to miss on 9 of the 10....but get the one of the 10 that is a clear baller, and you are set...

No shortage of effort here by Pike and staff....too bad there are people that are only interested in the results, but we have probably 4 spots and 40-50 targets of note right now....too many people will focus on the ones you don't get, which is in the numbers game, means the naysayers will be right on 90-95% of the targets we don't get....there are 10+ SG's between 2018 & 2019 classes, probably going to miss on 9 of the 10....but get the one of the 10 that is a clear baller, and you are set...

Hawk,

I always enjoy your posts but " too bad there are people that are only interested in results " ?

My thought is that if they keep score in the games, then winning must be important. Can you let me know if I'm off base here ?

Reactions: willisneverrana43
Hawk,

I always enjoy your posts but " too bad there are people that are only interested in results " ?

My thought is that if they keep score in the games, then winning must be important. Can you let me know if I'm off base here ?

Knightmoves....there is an undercurrent of fans that when a recruits name is mentioned, it's the same message of "RU needs difference makers or needs to start winning some of these recruiting battles".....the fact remains is if we have 50 offers that we know about and we land 2 of the 50, there are going to be 48 instances where a kid verbals elsewhere....that message of "when is RU going to win these battles" will be mentioned 48 straight times talking about results, when the reality is you are not supposed to win more than 2-3 at a time in any one recruiting cycle.

Knightmoves....there is an undercurrent of fans that when a recruits name is mentioned, it's the same message of "RU needs difference makers or needs to start winning some of these recruiting battles".....the fact remains is if we have 50 offers that we know about and we land 2 of the 50, there are going to be 48 instances where a kid verbals elsewhere....that message of "when is RU going to win these battles" will be mentioned 48 straight times talking about results, when the reality is you are not supposed to win more than 2-3 at a time in any one recruiting cycle.

Good post Hawk. If RU FB wins 2-3 of these types of top recruits each year then we can plan on the W-L record improving on a steady basis. Winning starts with recruiting and we are lagging the rest of the B1G there. How Ash turns this around is the question in my mind.

And winning in 17 and 18 is a tough challenge. The W-L record the next 2 seasons is unlikely to inspire recruits in our favor. Ash needs to be a great salesman in the short term.

Where's the captain obvious hat.

The issue will be and always has been the quality of the 2-3-4 wins.

Reactions: RickB113
Still have to close.
Your comment explains success and failure in recruiting.Great job.Recruiting really is about bringing in players that can change the dynamic from losing to winning.Too many fans focus on process citing the number of recruits attending practice or having in home visits.All schools follow those recruiting activities regardless of sport but the successful schools are those who close on the top tier recruits.If it was as easy as some fans profess ,Rutgers wouldn't have 11 straight losing seasons.

I think the point being missed here is that landing the recruits requires all of the in-home visits, unofficial guests and all that goes with it. We never heard anything about Eddies body of work , so these are the posts I want to read. You know all the kids that come in and say I'm really not close tomorrow deciding yet? That's a pretty natural reaction to me.

We are going to be in transition for the next few years as we restock the whole team. Sanders will most likely be back for one more year, Williams is gone after this season and then we start to build a core stable of players. The practice facility should help starting with 2018 kids once you actually see the building start to go up. Those kids will have 3 years to use it. Everything else is going to get better and better about our program. I do wish the RAC could get an exterior makeover to go along with the practice center. The building looks old and beaten up when you drive up to the RAC.i can't imagine recruits don't feel that way on their first impression?

I think the point being missed here is that landing the recruits requires all of the in-home visits, unofficial guests and all that goes with it. We never heard anything about Eddies body of work , so these are the posts I want to read. You know all the kids that come in and say I'm really not close tomorrow deciding yet? That's a pretty natural reaction to me.

We are going to be in transition for the next few years as we restock the whole team. Sanders will most likely be back for one more year, Williams is gone after this season and then we start to build a core stable of players. The practice facility should help starting with 2018 kids once you actually see the building start to go up. Those kids will have 3 years to use it. Everything else is going to get better and better about our program. I do wish the RAC could get an exterior makeover to go along with the practice center. The building looks old and beaten up when you drive up to the RAC.i can't imagine recruits don't feel that way on their first impression?
I get the feeling when we start landing some high level recruits and a 6'5 SG like Mathis will create some buzz and we may see a spike in R Build donations as the program becomes vibrant. As the BB gets better and better under Pike, with anticipated spike in $$$, perhaps, Hobbs comes up with some funds to allocate to sprucing up the RAC exterior. A spanking new practice facility next to a dull and dreary RAC exterior just won't cut it. I would think the high powered donors for the R Built won't let that happen.

Mathis only has 1 other BIG 10 offer so according to some here he may not be a Big 10 level talent. Home school Maryland has not even offered.

I really like Pikiell, and I think there is a good chance he will be the one to turn the program around. He and the staff seem to be working very hard on the recruiting trail. However, I'm sure previous coaches also worked very hard and they never landed the guys we needed to change the program (or weren't good enough coaches to turn it around). At some point you have to close on some of the recruits and show results on the court to build on the positive momentum. The total failure of the Jordan era has changed the way people think, where now the fact there is news about us actually recruiting players makes it seem like Pikiell is killing it, when actually what matters are what recruits he actually signs here.

Reactions: soundcrib
Mathis only has 1 other BIG 10 offer so according to some here he may not be a Big 10 level talent. Home school Maryland has not even offered.

You cannot make everyone happy on this board. Pikiell is not worried about the board.

Mathis is a big contributor. He can drive, dunk, rebound, defend, and is a very well balanced kid.

If you get Mathis, your team improves.

I love Pikell and staff. And I feel like they are the right group to get it done here. Recruiting hasn't seen a bump yet and understand we're just now completing the first full year.

But Eddie did land Corey and that's the biggest recruit we've had in a long long time.
(not saying Eddie was in any-way-shape-or-form better than any coach). Just pointing out that you can't say he "didn't try at recruiting"

Reactions: RUWESTIES
I love Pikell and staff. And I feel like they are the right group to get it done here. Recruiting hasn't seen a bump yet and understand we're just now completing the first full year.

But Eddie did land Corey and that's the biggest recruit we've had in a long long time.
(not saying Eddie was in any-way-shape-or-form better than any coach). Just pointing out that you can't say he "didn't try at recruiting"

Shoes Ventrone landed Sanders. He stuck with the kid, and invited Sanders to be part of his family.

Sanders liked Jordan, but Jordan was not out recruiting Sanders. Shoes was down there. Sanders liked the fact he could start, be the face of the program, be in the big ten, and be in the media market where your face is shown a lot.

Reactions: ScarletKid2008
Curious if we can get any intel as to how the visit went. Would love to lock in Mathis to a LOI this signing period and get him on the banks! Pairing him with a 4 star Doucoure would make for great anchors to the 2018 recruiting class!

Coach P has started the 2018 class with a four star recruit in Doucoure and brought in Thiam, Eugene, Sa and CJ for the '16-'17 team. A year we won 15 games. We'll see what Baker and Mensah bring to the '17-'18 squad. I'm optimistic...... I'm optimistic for our '17-'18 season, for the 2018 class and for our potential for success under this HC.

Oh, and happy anniversary coach. He just finished his first year as our HC.

Last edited:
feel hopeful about mathis. Saw him like a few tweets and retweet a few in regards to RU. We shall see. Addidas connection and constant contact with Pike cant hurt either.

Reactions: biazza38
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT