ADVERTISEMENT

Steve Pikiell

Pike also brought a couple of RU players to the Fairfield vs Peters game today at Yanitelli Center, including Myles Johnson. Great to see RU players hanging with their HC to support former RU assistant Jay Young.

Last edited:
Why would he leave? Why even think of this?
He did say “if.” Hey if Rutgers keeps improving and becomes, say, a comfortably top 20 team next year, he will probably get some enticing offers (he is from Connecticut and went to UConn after all). Tho I’d assume he’ll want to stay and see how far he can take this.

He did say “if.” Hey if Rutgers keeps improving and becomes, say, a comfortably top 20 team next year, he will probably get some enticing offers (he is from Connecticut and went to UConn after all). Tho I’d assume he’ll want to stay and see how far he can take this.
He’s already said this is the best league in the country.

he plays in the best media market.

He keeps winning and we’ll gladly keep paying... keeps winning... keep paying... he could retire here a legend!

He’s from Connecticut but hasn’t lived there since at least 2001.

he’s in the best conference in the country, will probably get a huge bonus after this year. Also UConn already has a pretty good coach in Danny Hurley who’s only been there 2 years. Pikes not going anywhere

he’s in the best conference in the country, will probably get a huge bonus after this year. Also UConn already has a pretty good coach in Danny Hurley who’s only been there 2 years. Pikes not going anywhere
I’m aware Hurley is there, he has struggled thus far. I also did not say it would only be UConn or only after next year. Could be the following or the following after that...

Pike strikes me as a family man. I do believe his family loves it here. Just sayin

Reactions: Loyal-Son
Lol, your in the big ten and can outbid anybody for his services. The question is and will always be does Rutgers want to outbid everybody and don’t go cheap. I think you are fine especially if people are paying 300 dollars to watch a basketball game at Rutgers. Your administration would be idiots not to do by any means necessary to keep that guy around.

And will likely get B1G COY and has a shot at the national gig.

Reactions: RUkhoury
If Rutgers keeps this up, Pikell should be B1G COY considering that Penn State had a better overall situation than Rutgers. Have to admit that Rutgers MBB still had the hapless perception, nationally. With Rutgers doing well this year, Pikell might get the WHAT PIKELL DONE AT RUTGERS IS A MIRACLE vibe. And yes, IMO it would be a crime if he doesnt get COY.

Pike is smart enough to realize the untapped potential of the Rutgers job. He's very familiar with what Schiano accomplished at Rutgers in the "lowly" BE football conference and how that convinced Rutgers to build him a Stadium and the B1G to eventually invite us to the party. He knows if he gets us into the top 25 and tournaments regularly, the media attention in the center of the biggest market in the country (which translates to across the country) will be huge and free and that will result in better recruits wanting to come here and RU improving further, i.e, he knows RU is a potential juggernaut. And he wants to be the guy who builds that juggernaut.

If Rutgers keeps this up, Pikell should be B1G COY considering that Penn State had a better overall situation than Rutgers. Have to admit that Rutgers MBB still had the hapless perception, nationally. With Rutgers doing well this year, Pikell might get the WHAT PIKELL DONE AT RUTGERS IS A MIRACLE vibe. And yes, IMO it would be a crime if he doesnt get COY.
PSU might finish the regular season in the Top 10. Chambers deserves COY.

Reactions: Rhuarc
UConn HC was Jim Calhoun who Pike talks to regularly and who Pike played for. It was Calhoun who strongly recommended Pike pursue the job because "the RAC was the loudest building I coached against and if you rebuild it and get the fans excited and back in the building, you won't ever have to leave or take another job".....plus it's in the B1G and media market as mentioned above.

While there are people that can probably coach at the same level as Pike, what Pike has done has been a salesman to recruits that want to work hard......and has been appreciated by the fans. He is extremely easy to root for and has the respect of his peers, which is usually difficult to earn in such a short amount of time...

Chambers is going to go from 0-10 in the B1G and on chopping block to be fired with a couple of tough road losses, to winning 7 of his last 10 and 10-4 so far this year and potentially a 1st place finish in B1G this year.

Unfortunately in college sports especially at schools like Rutgers you need to leave for more money if you can get it... you are always one bad season away from gettting fired.

We see it playing out today. We are having the best season since the 1976 team and there are certain fans talking about this team underachieving, coaches need to be fired , etc... Pikiell is working miracles right now in only year 4 with a bunch of low rated players and he faces constant criticism unless Ron Harper plays out of his mind. If Ron missed 2 of his early 3s that game against Illinois is very different and the atmosphere here would be very diffetent. it only takes a couple of the right people to sow the seeds of doubt.

I don't think Steve would leave. He loves RU and our staff, players & managers. He is in the best conference in the country and next to the media market of the world. He will be playing in sold out arenas for almost every game. I watch so many practices and he is so psyched about our team and just loves what he is doing. He is such a people friendly guy. We hit a huge home run when he was hired.

I think if we make the tournament the person who we are at greatest risk of losing is Brandin Knight. He seems to be much more active in the huddles and coaching from the bench when compared to Hobbs and Hahn. I can see him being the primary beneficiary of our stronger than expected season. I also do not think that if Pike were to leave (which I highly doubt is a risk right now) Jay Young would be a candidate for the job.

Reactions: RW90
No way jay young gets the job. If pikiell can win and the money is there why would you hire an unproven coach? Jay also hasn’t proven anything yet which isn’t really expected in his first year. An NCAA tournament, money and facilities would allow Rutgers to go after a proven winner

Tremendous turnout for RU repping Fairfield. Pikes, Kate and Kevin Pikes, Karl Hobbs, Brandin Knight, Ben Asher, Jake Dadika, Rich and Mrs Campbell, Scott and managers, Ron Harper and Myles Johnson and probably others I'm missing. Quality people and always nice to be reminded how loyalty and friendship still matters these days.

If Pikes was going to leave (and I don’t think he will) it will be a few years down the road. I’m sure he will be rumored for jobs, but I think it would take a lot of money & convincing for him to leave. He is Northeast guy with a lot of family locally & a wife with family close. In terms of Jay Young, I know there is a lot of respect for him as a coach & mentor. He was with Pikes from the beginning of the build with Stony Brook & obviously Rutgers. Not sure if he would get the job if Pikes left now, but in 2 years we will have a better idea of how Jay Young is as a coach. Time will only tell!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT