ADVERTISEMENT

Steve Politi Article with Coach Stringer

A very balanced article by Politi and some quotes from CVS that indicate she at least recognizes the WBB landscape has changed. Now, what will she do about it, that’s the question.

This quote struck me on how fast time has passed: “ The players on the last Stringer team to reach the Sweet 16, in 2009, are now retiring from professional basketball.”

Reactions: rimsky
Not so balanced in my opinion, just like the article by NJ.com that announced a deal was soon to be announced. They are both clearly slanted in-line with those against CVS' extension. Sounds like it was written by some of the posters on here that clearly want CVS out.

He gave the blanket statement that would imply that all RU fans are against the new contract. "....much to the chagrin of RU fans who griped about the contract." That's BS!! Those complaining about her new contract don't represent the entire RUWBB fanbase.

The loss to BYU was predictable??? I don't know about any of you, but I did not EXPECT us to lose that game. That's what makes the result so disappointing. Especially after observing our capabilities during the 9-game stretch.

Even with a WNBA pick, they blew a 12 point lead "despite significant advantages in speed and athleticism". " It was impossible to watch the final minutes and reach any conclusion other than this: Stringer was out-coached."
This is more total BS!! Some might say BYU made the plays down the stretch. Hit the big shots, while we turned it over alot. Coach wasn't on the court playing.

Mr. Politi's opinions in the article don;t give me the impression that he follows this program closely. His description of Diamond Johnson is a tell. And the exaggeration of things to try to strengthen this negative point of view. He clearly was writing this on behalf of the anti-CVS group.

Last edited:
Reactions: TRU2RU and ChasRC69
I don’t consider myself part of the anti-CVS crowd, I’m a realist. It could be a very long 5 years - I hope I’m wrong.
You can't be faulted for not liking the 5 years.
I consider myself a big Stringer supporter and 5 years seems a bit much for me.
I wanted an extension, but a 2 year one

Reactions: eso1989
You can't be faulted for not liking the 5 years.
I consider myself a big Stringer supporter and 5 years seems a bit much for me.
I wanted an extension, but a 2 year one
Hey that's fair. I wasn't referring to you guys. I'm talking about those who don't like that she got another contract at all. Those who want to 'turn the page' on CVS.

I'm with you, more than you might think. I see the same things and have the same concerns as everybody else. With the health scare followed by a drastic change in sideline demeanor, I think we all wondered if she was up to continuing. I just think that for what she has done here at RU and continues to do, she deserves the opportunity to enjoy more time coaching in the new facility. Is 5 yrs too much?? Maybe.........The next two years will give us our answer. I say, she likely would step down if the next 2 years were a disaster anyway. No need to stress over 5 yr length of contract. Highly doubt this contract will destroy RU athletics , RUWBB, or the overall standing of Rutgers the State University.

One big telling in that interview she did not seem to know why Diamond or Zippy left or why Gilles is in the portal. If she was smart, she would sit down with each one to inquire why? Then again maybe she did and does not want to state the reasons as it may damage her coaching. I don’t care about her salary or length of contract. I care about why talented players want to leave a legend and HOF coach. Those reasons will tell me if she will be a success or failure in those next 5 years,

One big telling in that interview she did not seem to know why Diamond or Zippy left or why Gilles is in the portal. If she was smart, she would sit down with each one to inquire why? Then again maybe she did and does not want to state the reasons as it may damage her coaching. I don’t care about her salary or length of contract. I care about why talented players want to leave a legend and HOF coach. Those reasons will tell me if she will be a success or failure in those next 5 years,
That was my interpretation also. The other takeaway was that she needed to tell Politi :
“Believe it or not, today, before I got on the phone to talk to you?” Stringer said. “Guess what, we were in the portal. We’re getting in that portal. We’re going to go with the flow. Whatever it is, that’s what we’re going to do.

Believe it or not? Really? you better be in the portal. You just lost your entire production from the prior year.

Most coaches would never say why players leave.

Oh I'm very sure she knows. She isn't going to share. In all the years we followed WBB, only one player's departure was ever explained to the fan base - Dixon that left for UCLA? IIRC. And even that was relatively hazy, with a comment that "we are not California Cool, we are blue collar workers" said the day before the transfer was announced and clearly in reference to her.

Reactions: ScarletteK80
I would think it would be a bad thing if a coach goes to the media with players personal reasons for entering the portal. All schools have players leave for whatever reason.

This year is especially a new experience for all parties involved with the new transfer, extra year rules. Everyone is trying to adjust to this new reality.

To include Mael's situation with that of Zippy and Diamond is being misleading. Mael just finished her senior year and it is common for seniors to change schools as grad transfers(Miles Johnson). There are so many reasons for her and Tekia to be ready to move on, without there being a problem that initiated the decision. And we still don't know for sure, they both could come back.
UConn has some in the portal also.

I'm in the pro-Stringer group here. I have a somewhat different take. I think it would be very difficult to recruit with only a two-year extension. I'm guessing Viv and Hobbs had a long talk about the transition to a new coach. And I'm further guessing that transition is basically worked out and will happen before five years is up.

Full disclosure: I have zero inside info (hell, I live in New Zealand). Just reading tea leaves here.

I'm in the pro-Stringer group here. I have a somewhat different take. I think it would be very difficult to recruit with only a two-year extension. I'm guessing Viv and Hobbs had a long talk about the transition to a new coach. And I'm further guessing that transition is basically worked out and will happen before five years is up.

Full disclosure: I have zero inside info (hell, I live in New Zealand). Just reading tea leaves here.
You know as much as I do and probably 99% of those expressing their opinion in this thread.
You make a great point about why the extension needed to be more than 2 years, but I feel a 5 year contract with full buyout if terminated early is to long.
I see the point others make about NCAA performance and feel Vivian must do better than just get an invite to stay the full term of contract.
Placing 3rd in conference last season shows she still has the chops to run a winning program, but it's time to bring back the glory years type of seasons again and not be satisfied with getting an invite then one and done.

Edit: Just seen a thread Heaven put up showing the terms of contract, the 5 years don't look so bad now with this in it:
>The contract also includes a clause – first introduced in the deal she signed in 2017 – that would allow Stringer to stop coaching and be re-assigned to an administrative role by athletics director Pat Hobbs after “good faith discussions.” Stringer would then continue to receive her scheduled base salary in the new role, according to the contract. The clause did not activate until two years into Stringer’s last contract, but there is no timeline in the new deal.<

Last edited:
Reactions: SkilletHead2
Could one of the mods here contact Zippy and Diamond and interview them about their departures?

You know as much as I do and probably 99% of those expressing their opinion in this thread.
You make a great point about why the extension needed to be more than 2 years, but I feel a 5 year contract with full buyout if terminated early is to long.
I see the point others make about NCAA performance and feel Vivian must do better than just get an invite to stay the full term of contract.
Placing 3rd in conference last season shows she still has the chops to run a winning program, but it's time to bring back the glory years type of seasons again and not be satisfied with getting an invite then one and done.

Edit: Just seen a thread Heaven put up showing the terms of contract, the 5 years don't look so bad now with this in it:
>The contract also includes a clause – first introduced in the deal she signed in 2017 – that would allow Stringer to stop coaching and be re-assigned to an administrative role by athletics director Pat Hobbs after “good faith discussions.” Stringer would then continue to receive her scheduled base salary in the new role, according to the contract. The clause did not activate until two years into Stringer’s last contract, but there is no timeline in the new deal.<
Makes sense.

UConn has some in the portal also.
Talk about a forced comparison...UConn portal transfers RU

11 NCAAs vs 0 NCAAs (Championships)
A program that manages to make money
A program that continually sells out or close to sells out
A program where just getting to the FF is not considered successful.

the program can burn to the ground and CVS will not leave and no one will force her out...she’s in as long as SHE wants.

Might as well...I hardly think we are a destination program for a true up and coming young coach. Even Jody Conradt at Texas knew when it was time to go and did not drag her time (and she won a title, went to two FFs and is a HOF)

the program can burn to the ground and CVS will not leave and no one will force her out...she’s in as long as SHE wants.

Might as well...I hardly think we are a destination program for a true up and coming young coach. Even Jody Conradt at Texas knew when it was time to go and did not drag her time (and she won a title, went to two FFs and is a HOF)
Thank you for bolstering my point. They have everything going for them yet they still had a player enter the portal. Just goes to show that players entering the portal does not automatically mean there are systemic issues in a program.

And to be fair, They have one player in the portal. I thought there were two.

Last edited:
Your Jody Conradt and Texas comparison is an interesting one.

Conradt retired in 2007, after two straight seasons where Texas did not make the NCAA tournament (and right before RU was about to make the national title game).

Since that time, they've had three coaches:

Gail Goestenkors, the blockbuster hire from Duke, who in 5 seasons never finished above 4th in B12 and got past the NCAA first round once.

Karen Aston, who coached for 8 years and recruited very well, but the overwhelming sense was that the teams underachieved; she did have four years of four straight Sweet 16s, but they missed the tournament her final year before she parted ways.

Now, the team has Vic Scaefer, a fantastic coach from Mississippi State (which has gone in the gutter pretty quickly without him)--the team got hot in tourney and rode upsets to the Elite 8; Even then, their top returning scorer (Celeste Taylor) entered the transfer portal and is going to Duke.

Reactions: RUcrazee
Thank you for bolstering my point. They have everything going for them yet they still had a player enter the portal. Just goes to show that players entering the portal does not automatically mean there are systemic issues in a program.

And to be fair, They have one player in the portal. I thought there were two.
How does 1 player, that had a hard time getting on the court, bolster your point? Uconn should have players testing the portal that have been recruited over. No team should have most of their critical components in the portal as Rutgers does.

God, a calm, voice of reason. Sounds like a trip out your way would be a dream come true.

Reactions: MADHAT1

Just to clarify - they don't make money. They have, a few times, but, no. They are, as an athletic department, in many of the same issues as Rutgers - and their football is terrible and independent.

Attendance is also not what it once was. It beats the heck out of Rutgers and has remained in the top 5, I think, but no, it isn't what it used to be.

Sadly, your last line about the level of success expected is correct, based on reading their message board.

Your Jody Conradt and Texas comparison is an interesting one.

Conradt retired in 2007, after two straight seasons where Texas did not make the NCAA tournament (and right before RU was about to make the national title game).

Since that time, they've had three coaches:

Gail Goestenkors, the blockbuster hire from Duke, who in 5 seasons never finished above 4th in B12 and got past the NCAA first round once.

Karen Aston, who coached for 8 years and recruited very well, but the overwhelming sense was that the teams underachieved; she did have four years of four straight Sweet 16s, but they missed the tournament her final year before she parted ways.

Now, the team has Vic Scaefer, a fantastic coach from Mississippi State (which has gone in the gutter pretty quickly without him)--the team got hot in tourney and rode upsets to the Elite 8; Even then, their top returning scorer (Celeste Taylor) entered the transfer portal and is going to Duke.
Vic Schaefer is an A&M graduate and life long Aggie...he was supposed to be the take over guy...then he goes to the steers.

vomit...projectile style. He should have his Aggie ring confiscated and never be allowed back...

Vic Schaefer is an A&M graduate and life long Aggie...he was supposed to be the take over guy...then he goes to the steers.

vomit...projectile style. He should have his Aggie ring confiscated and never be allowed back...
He's from Austin. It still surprised me.

That was my interpretation also. The other takeaway was that she needed to tell Politi :
“Believe it or not, today, before I got on the phone to talk to you?” Stringer said. “Guess what, we were in the portal. We’re getting in that portal. We’re going to go with the flow. Whatever it is, that’s what we’re going to do.

Believe it or not? Really? you better be in the portal. You just lost your entire production from the prior year.
There are rapidly changing times in college recruiting and coaching staffs need to be aware of the portal transfer impact and move quickly in filling roster openings when players leave.

It just shows how behind the times she is that her assistants probably had to tell her if you don’t recruit the portal you are behind the 8 ball. My Gosh, you just lost your whole backcourt to the portal. Think of all of the good guards she missed out on by starting so late.

There are rapidly changing times in college recruiting and coaching staffs need to be aware of the portal transfer impact and move quickly in filling roster openings when players leave.
Seems like getting Jailyn Mason from the portal shows the staff isn't overlooking that aspect of filling out a roster.

It just shows how behind the times she is that her assistants probably had to tell her if you don’t recruit the portal you are behind the 8 ball. My Gosh, you just lost your whole backcourt to the portal. Think of all of the good guards she missed out on by starting so late.
All assumptions. And really insulting the intelligence of a HOF coach. All you had to do was look at the time line. As Mad stated, they already had Jailyn's commitment a couple of days before the interview.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT