ADVERTISEMENT

Strategic Vision

I think they should have just used this:

"I'm from Trentn, Trentn New Jersey"

Is this all in respone to the old 50 page long "vision" thread?

Thank you. Truth be told, I dialed it down.
BlockR is a troublemaker and malcontent. If the moderators were allowed to moderate, he would have been gone long ago. He brings nothing to the table, but the same old attacks on Hobbs and Ash. This has been rehashed over and over and over and over again with him.
I don’t know what’s worse on this board. The same old attacks or the same old excuses.

The report states this as the criteria for how Rutgers “will measure our progress:’’

• Academic Progress Rate (APR)
  • Overall Grade Point Average
  • Academic All-Big Ten honorees
  • Postgraduate outcomes
  • Community service hours
  • Compliance education
  • Big Ten Conference rank
  • Learfield Cup ranking
  • Programs qualifying for postseason play
  • All-Big Ten honors
  • Total giving
  • Annual fund donor growth
  • Scholarship support through annual gifts and endowments
  • Attendance growth
  • Media exposure

Well attendance growth will be a big fail this year.

AT the end of the day this is a great strategic plan if Hobbs delivers on it. If he doesn't then it sucks.

As for me, we all know revenue drives the bus. Hobbs raised $100 million but at the end of the day doing that at a University with a ton of alumni and going into the B1G is not as herculean as some want us to believe. Hobbs needs to raise the next $100 million. He needs to get real facilities sponsorship dollars and with that he needs to improve the facilities for athletes and fan experience.

It's pretty simple. I would rather had him focus on the above rather than a document but if one facilitates the other than I am fine. What Hobbs has in that document is a vision of things top AD's do regularly. That is what I expect from him and his team. If its too big for them then bring in the next crew.

I curious what in the article indicates he 'gets it.' I'm not arguing that he doesn't, but everything mentioned there is AD 101 and doesn't seem to indicate anything other than that he has a grasp of the job description that goes along with the title of AD.
wheres the action plan with the step by step plan point to fix football?
Ash back another year,zero plan for college football anniversary game shows Hobbs is clueless.
Dont forget he HIRED Ash,whats he doing to fix this mistake?

Reactions: RUaMoose
I curious what in the article indicates he 'gets it.' I'm not arguing that he doesn't, but everything mentioned there is AD 101 and doesn't seem to indicate anything other than that he has a grasp of the job description that goes along with the title of AD.
That's a lot more than we can say that the last AD. Progress.
Tough crowd here.

Ash back another year,zero plan for college football anniversary game shows Hobbs is clueless.

Meh, I don't want them to lay out an action plan with step by step for football, no one does that.

The 150th stuff is pretty damn bad though.

Reactions: Wolv RU
I'm having flashbacks.
Wasn't one of Terry Shea's mantras "We will relentlessly pursue bowl championships"?

Reactions: Local Shill
Meh, I don't want them to lay out an action plan with step by step for football, no one does that.

The 150th stuff is pretty damn bad though.
why not? this fluff piece is a fantasy mission statement with NO plan how to obtain these 'goals'

You really are stupid aren't you. Do you like to revisit the same topic over and over and over and over and over again? How many times have you been told why Ash is back this year? Are you a bot or something that just spits out the same drivel with every post?
Are you really that dumb to understand that fixing football will require either an unlikely but miraculous turnaround by Ash or hiring a new coach? Do you really think a step-by-step plan is required?

Reactions: ru66
You really are stupid aren't you. Do you like to revisit the same topic over and over and over and over and over again? How many times have you been told why Ash is back this year? Are you a bot or something that just spits out the same drivel with every post?
Are you really that dumb to understand that fixing football will require either an unlikely but miraculous turnaround by Ash or hiring a new coach? Do you really think a step-by-step plan is required?
Sometimes the logical conclusion is not what happens at Rutgers. For instance, it was not logical that Ash would keep his job - but he did. Makes no sense economically, for recruiting, for the health of the team. Makes no sense at all but it happened.

Sometimes the logical conclusion is not what happens at Rutgers. For instance, it was not logical that Ash would keep his job - but he did. Makes no sense economically, for recruiting, for the health of the team. Makes no sense at all but it happened.
But we all (except eeyR) know why he is here--Barchi and the BOG. We mostly agree that looking at the big picture, it would have made economic sense to cut him loose, but Barchi and the BOG do not look at it the same way. Rutgers gonna Rutgers. Makes no sense, but it also makes less sense to continue to rail against Hobbs and Ash in nearly every single post.

Reactions: RUonBrain
Funny that you want him banned for being repetitive when you have posted attacks on other posters over and over and over again. Your right the moderators should do their job and put you on the sidelines. Give it a break!

Reactions: ATIOH and RU85inFla
why not? this fluff piece is a fantasy mission statement with NO plan how to obtain these 'goals'

1. Yes, this is a fluff piece.
2. I've never seen any school release a detailed road map of how to fix a particular sport. Frankly, for the AD that would be a pretty short list consisting of: make the right hire & keep building new facilities as needed.

Last edited:
Vision and Mission Statements -- a Roadmap of Where You Want to Go and How to Get There

Have you ever been involved in an organization or business that never seems to accomplish very much? Regardless of how hard you work, you just go in circles. The problem may be that you have not decided where you want to go and have not created a roadmap of how to get there. From the perspective of an organization, the problem may be that you are not focusing on what you want to achieve and how you will achieve it. Below are a series of steps or statements of how to give your organization direction.

The first is a statement of vision. It provides a destination for the organization. Next is a statement of mission. This is a guiding light of how to get to the destination. These are critical statements for the organization and the individuals who run the organization.

• Vision – Big picture of what you want to achieve.
  • Mission – General statement of how you will achieve the vision.
A companion statement often created with the vision and mission is a statement of core values.

• Core Values – How you will behave during the process.
Once you have identified what your organization wants to achieve (vision) and generally how the vision will be achieved (mission), the next step is to develop a series of statements specifying how the mission will be utilized to achieve the vision:

• Strategies – Strategies are one or more ways to use the mission statement in order to achieve the vision statement. Although an organization will have just one vision statement and one mission statement, it may have several strategies.
  • Goals – These are general statements of what needs to be accomplished to implement a strategy.
  • Objectives – Objectives provide specific milestones with a specific timeline for achieving a goal.
  • Action Plans – These are specific implementation plans of how you will achieve an objective.
wheres the Action plan to Fix Football?

I’m reminded of a strategic planning discussion when the team I was on was trying to impress upon our group president that his strategy and primary business objectives were unclear. He responded that we were wrong and he pointed out that he had distributed a memo with a list of his 21 priorities.

RU’s strategic vision boils down to what we used to call a “we’re going to do all things good and wonderful” plan.

Last edited:

The sad, very sad thing, is that alone is a marked improvement over previous ADs.

Reactions: MoobyCow
Vision and Mission Statements -- a Roadmap of Where You Want to Go and How to Get There

Have you ever been involved in an organization or business that never seems to accomplish very much? Regardless of how hard you work, you just go in circles. The problem may be that you have not decided where you want to go and have not created a roadmap of how to get there. From the perspective of an organization, the problem may be that you are not focusing on what you want to achieve and how you will achieve it. Below are a series of steps or statements of how to give your organization direction.

The first is a statement of vision. It provides a destination for the organization. Next is a statement of mission. This is a guiding light of how to get to the destination. These are critical statements for the organization and the individuals who run the organization.

• Vision – Big picture of what you want to achieve.
  • Mission – General statement of how you will achieve the vision.
A companion statement often created with the vision and mission is a statement of core values.

• Core Values – How you will behave during the process.
Once you have identified what your organization wants to achieve (vision) and generally how the vision will be achieved (mission), the next step is to develop a series of statements specifying how the mission will be utilized to achieve the vision:

• Strategies – Strategies are one or more ways to use the mission statement in order to achieve the vision statement. Although an organization will have just one vision statement and one mission statement, it may have several strategies.
  • Goals – These are general statements of what needs to be accomplished to implement a strategy.
  • Objectives – Objectives provide specific milestones with a specific timeline for achieving a goal.
  • Action Plans – These are specific implementation plans of how you will achieve an objective.
wheres the Action plan to Fix Football?

I agree with BlockR and what he has outlined is a very standard and rational approach. If I were publishing the RU Vision document, and if I were unable or unwilling to provide the detail underlying what BlockR outlined, then I would have spent a page discussing our approach to planning and describe the role and structure of the various pieces and how it all fits together (as BlockR has done). So even I feel you don’t release all the detail, you convey an awareness of and commitment to what might generally be considered a “best practice” approach to planning. Of course, then you have to execute.

Reactions: Phi_1055
Gee hiring a consultant to tell them how to market the program...so innovative
you hit the nail 100% on head yesterday Bac.
This was a waste of money,a Media/ PR move,and money that should have been spent on hiring someone that will win and change the football current losing culture.

4 years later the new AD still hasn't figured out how to market...that should concern you
A winning football record will take care of the marketing. It's not that difficult, but some of you people think it is some sort of rocket science. It's not. If Ash does not win at least 5 (it should be 6) games, Hobbs has to make a hard sell to donors, Barchi and BOG to get rid of him.

A winning football record will take care of the marketing. It's not that difficult, but some of you people think it is some sort of rocket science. It's not. If Ash does not win at least 5 (it should be 6) games, Hobbs has to make a hard sell to donors, Barchi and BOG to get rid of him.

If marketing a sports team or program is all about wins, why do leagues and conferences have marketing departments? Why do teams and schools have marketing departments instead of just sales departments?

Reactions: Knight Shift
If marketing a sports team or program is all about wins, why do leagues and conferences have marketing departments? Why do teams and schools have marketing departments instead of just sales departments?
Perhaps I should have been more clear.
1-11 and 7-29 over 3 years is going to be difficult for Gary Vaynerchuk. It's similar to marketing a turd sandwich. While winning will not take care of everything, it is certainly easier to market a winning program than marketing what RU has right now.

Reactions: MoobyCow
Perhaps I should have been more clear.
1-11 and 7-29 over 3 years is going to be difficult for Gary Vaynerchuk. It's similar to marketing a turd sandwich. While winning will not take care of everything, it is certainly easier to market a winning program than marketing what RU has right now.

Agreed. 100%. But having said that, can you honestly say that RU/Hobbs has done a good job marketing the football team? They’ve shown they know how to market a successful wrestling team and done a good marketing an improving MBB team, but they’ve done a terrible job marketing a bad football team in my opinion. We are RU, not OSU, and we need someone who can market in bad times as well as good.

Agreed. 100%. But having said that, can you honestly say that RU/Hobbs has done a good job marketing the football team? They’ve shown they know how to market a successful wrestling team and done a good marketing an improving MBB team, but they’ve done a terrible job marketing a bad football team in my opinion. We are RU, not OSU, and we need someone who can market in bad times as well as good.
We mostly agree, but how do you market a turd sandwich?
They are trying with the $150 promotion.
They had a golden opportunity to do some huge marketing ahead of the 150th prior to season ticket sales, but thus far, few details have emerged as to what Athletics is doing to promote the anniversary other than some vague statements. So on that front, they have done and are continuing to do a poor job.
This season is a watershed moment for Ash and Hobbs. They run the risk of further mass exodus of fans if the situation does not dramatically improve or if something is not done to change the situation if there is not dramatic improvement.

We mostly agree, but how do you market a turd sandwich?
They are trying with the $150 promotion.
They had a golden opportunity to do some huge marketing ahead of the 150th prior to season ticket sales, but thus far, few details have emerged as to what Athletics is doing to promote the anniversary other than some vague statements. So on that front, they have done and are continuing to do a poor job.
This season is a watershed moment for Ash and Hobbs. They run the risk of further mass exodus of fans if the situation does not dramatically improve or if something is not done to change the situation if there is not dramatic improvement.

I have limited experience in marketing but some thoughts and observations, for what they are worth.

Short term: I’d be marketing hard to youth groups - win or lose, they’ll enjoy the experience if you treat them right and they might develop into future fans. And I’d reach out to more than just sports groups. Approach scout groups, youth groups, New Brunswick/Piscataway and surrounding towns schools, etc. it’s a rare sight to see a large youth group at HPS so we can reasonably assume that efforts to attract them aren't being taken today.

I’d also be working hard on reversing the deterioration in the fan experience, which has been discussed in great detail on these boards. It costs 10 times as much to gain a new customer or get back a lost customer as it does to retain an existing one.

Yeah, these aren't goals... Goals must be something you can measure. Few of these are even quantifiable....

Reactions: RUaMoose
Yeah, these aren't goals... Goals must be something you can measure. Few of these are even quantifiable....

see BlockR’s post above. Goals are general. Objectives are specific and measurable. (It’s not the same as the way most companies set your goals for your job).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT