ADVERTISEMENT

Sun Bowl 2020 cancelled

Panthergrowl13

All Conference
Nov 11, 2002
I think this now makes 9 Bowl Games cancelled so far this year.

Expect more to follow.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

I think this now makes 9 Bowl Games cancelled so far this year.

Expect more to follow.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!
I do expect a few more and I think its decision week. I doubt bowls will cancel at the last minute. I'm sure ESPN is working hard to keep as many of them alive.

Reactions: Wolv RU
I do expect a few more and I think its decision week. I doubt bowls will cancel at the last minute. I'm sure ESPN is working hard to keep as many of them alive.

Agreed. They'll cancel before schools incur expenses setting up travel and lodging for the games. I'm not sure ESPN needed a full compliment, but watch their proposed payments jump it it gets close to critical mass. I'd estimate that at 30-35.

Are the minor bowls even viable without fans? I know the bulk of their revenue comes from TV but they do have ticket requirements from the participating schools and the local economy benefits from the travelling fans.

Are the minor bowls even viable without fans? I know the bulk of their revenue comes from TV but they do have ticket requirements from the participating schools and the local economy benefits from the travelling fans.
I’m surprised ESPN hasn’t come up with some sort of “bowl bubble”. Without fans and traveling parties, the location of the games doesn’t matter, just the programming.

Reactions: Plum Street
No. Most aren't. The TV money is mostly used to fund the Bowl payouts along with the sponsors. I'm very surprised the # of cancellations is so low.

ESPN will probably not get too worried because with the sports schedule having changed so drastically, they can just throw on some NBA or college basketball where the bowl games would have been.

No. Most aren't. The TV money is mostly used to fund the Bowl payouts along with the sponsors. I'm very surprised the # of cancellations is so low.

Without fans, no problem. Check out the stands at the minor bowl games. Without required ticket buys whether they show up or not, problem.

This decreases our chances of making any Tier 3 bowls. We may have to bring back the Garden State Bowl for 2020.

Rutgers vs. West Virginia.

The suits at ESPN must be getting worried.
Sun bowl is one of the few that is not ESPN. (should have finished reading thread.. ScarletDave os on it). It is also a bowl where it really serves its community and had had popular local support.

As for filler.. if E-sports doesn't take off now it never will.

Last edited:
Reactions: Knight Shift
‘The Sun Bowl was not the least attended.
Strong local support with fans attending.
I think I saw something viral video about El Paso and CoVid and someone accusing them of being racist in who they help.

official investigations said nothing to it.. but if people weren't dying there I don't think even the travelling nurse could have "gone there".

Last edited:
The Sun Bowl is nothing like the other bowls that have been cancelled like Pinstripe or Quick Lane. It is tied with the Sugar and Orange as being the second oldest bowl after the Rose Bowl. Even older then the Cotton Bowl. It has run continuously since 1935.
Sorry to see it go.

Last edited:
Reactions: fsg2
Always liked the Sun Bowl and how it was often on New Year's Eve ...good kickoff for the holiday.
I remember when I was in college the Astro-Bluebonnet Bowl kicked off on New Years Eve at around 8:00-8:30. Would be at a party watching the game until it was time for Dick Clark's New Years Rockin' Eve!!

Reactions: fsg2
I remember when I was in college the Astro-Bluebonnet Bowl kicked off on New Years Eve at around 8:00-8:30. Would be at a party watching the game until it was time for Dick Clark's New Years Rockin' Eve!!

yes in the old Houston Astrodome I think.

Reactions: colbert17
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT