ADVERTISEMENT

Swedish Shooter Commits to RU: Cal66 is Smiling!

RutgersMO

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 24, 2001
Rutgers & NJ @ Heart
Rolf was very proud of his Swedish heritage. He used to tell me about Abba (still don't like the group) being the biggest seller of albums, CD's (streaming was just starting when he passed).

Glad we got a SHOOTER...happy that he's from Sweden... and I can't help but think that Cal had something to do with this!

MO

I
. . .
Just saying...let's enjoy what we got and see how he does.

MO
Mo, I will. I do with the current roster.

But, to the extent we are going to start expressing opinions about prospects, well, you know, I will. I get that exceptions happen. In fact, in recruiting, they happen a lot. But, when forced to predict future success of a recruit, I'll always first defer to the experts, the people who are paid to make that judgment because their jobs are on the line, and to their opinions. And when, during that type of discussion, none or almost none of them are pointing their finger at a particular player, it's at least worth a mention.

But, you're right, I've mentioned it, so I'll move on.

Reactions: RutgersMO
I

But, to the extent we are going to start expressing opinions about prospects, well, you know, I will. I get that exceptions happen. In fact, in recruiting, they happen a lot. But, when forced to predict future success of a recruit, I'll always first defer to the experts, the people who are paid to make that judgment because their jobs are on the line, and to their opinions. And when, during that type of discussion, none or almost none of them are pointing their finger at a particular player, it's at least worth a mention.

Willis

Thanks

MO
PS I wonder if Timmy Brown ever ran a 4.3?:)

I

Kid was being looked at by several other high majors including Florida. Sometimes you get in on the project first. It's the goal

Yeah...he was about to blow up. This happened with several guys we were chasing the past 18 months and we didn't get them locked up.

In this case, we got in.

Well done to coach and crew.

Ps - I understand the concerns from those who say his only other offer was Western Kentucky. It is a valid concern.

Reactions: JQRU91 and Scangg
Western Kentucky recruits like a high major under Stansburry (guess why ) so beating them out is actually good . Plus like others have said he was most likely going to get more high major offers . We got in early and got him committed unlike the others that blew up

Reactions: Scangg
Recruiting is typically about exposure and access to coaches finding your film.

I watched a lot of CBB last night and UNC Greensboro played at Kansas last night and lost by 12....ironically the Vegas point spread wasn't too high, which speaks to the talent on UNCG.

The guard on UNCG, Ira Miller, is as legit as any guard in any major conference and can score from 3, 2, mid range. Mix in some other pieces and your down 4 at half, at Kansas.

This has nothing to do with Palmquist, but every major program in the Top 25, are now "recruiting", kids off low to mid majors that many fans think aren't good enough "initially" for Power 5 programs. They're just cherry picking them as grad transfers when they're getting the player when his maturity level is the highest.

RU needs to develop their own players to become the pieces that can make it a consistent program down the road. You only do that by finding players ahead of the curve and hope some of them hit bigger than expected (Geo Baker, Eugene Omoyuri, Ron Harper Jr)....Harper was a 2 star unranked player at the time he committed to RU.

Palmquist has basic skills that translate to B1G caliber opponents we see....he's tall, with shooting touch and some ability off the bounce. I was really hopeful RU landed Coleman Hawkins, who has the same skill set.

Palmquist is essentially that same type of perimeter stretch 4, we haven't had. If he can defend and adds a few lbs of muscle, I definitely think he's in the rotation of players right away, strictly on his ability to stretch the defense.

When you have another piece like Mulcahy, who is an excellent passer, it makes Palmquist fit into the offense much easier. Reiber also will benefit from Mulcahy finding them a handful of possessions a game.

Last edited:
Recruiting is typically about exposure and access to coaches finding your film.

I watched a lot of CBB last night and UNC Greensboro played at Kansas last night and lost by 12....ironically the Vegas point spread wasn't too high, which speaks to the talent on UNCG.

The guard on UNCG, Ira Miller, is as legit as any guard in any major conference and can score from 3, 2, mid range. Mix in some other pieces and your down 4 at half, at Kansas.

This has nothing to do with Palmquist, but every major program in the Top 25, are now "recruiting", kids off low to mid majors that many fans think aren't good enough "initially" for Power 5 programs. They're just cherry picking them as grad transfers when they're getting the player when his maturity level is the highest.

RU needs to develop their own players to become the pieces that can make it a consistent program down the road. You only do that by finding players ahead of the curve and hope some of them hit bigger than expected (Geo Baker, Eugene Omoyuri, Ron Harper Jr)....Harper was a 2 star unranked player at the time he committed to RU.

Palmquist has basic skills that translate to B1G caliber opponents we see....he's tall, with shooting touch and some ability off the bounce. I was really hopeful RU landed Coleman Hawkins, who has the same skill set.

Palmquist is essentially that same type of perimeter stretch 4, we haven't had. If he can defend and adds a few lbs of muscle, I definitely think he's in the rotation of players right away, strictly on his ability to stretch the defense.

When you have another piece like Mulcahy, who is an excellent passer, it makes Palmquist fit into the offense much easier. Reiber also will benefit from Mulcahy finding them a handful of possessions a game.

Hawk - the staff is EXTREMELY excited about Reiber.

So how did Steph Curry wind up at Davidson ….not Duke.

Just saying...let's enjoy what we got and see how he does.

MO
He grew 3 inches after his senior year. Looking like he was 12 years old helped Davidson too.

Western Kentucky is in Conference USA. It is not like they are Drexel, Chicago State, etc.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT