ADVERTISEMENT

GAME 14 Nebraska: Meeting Challenges

I looked at the scoreboard when we had 25 points and realized that at that point the starters had 10 and the bench had 15 (mostly Hyatt with 8 and Reiber with 5). In the 2nd half when we were at 57 points the bench was at 17 and starters at 42. It seems that after the slow start, Pike went to the bench and their performance woke up the starting 5 who took over and built up the big lead.
I think the key to Reiber being successful is the matchup. He has trouble competing against the real big physical centers. The 7 footer from Purdue practically backed him into section 118 at one point which is why Pike bought Luke Nathan in to that game in the 1st half. Yesterday Reiber did not have the size disadvantage and was able to play his game.
Wow. Did the exact same thing. At 25 saw Hyatt 8 and Dean 5.

Not a big Huey Lewis fan but didn’t he have an album called Sports back in the day? Gotta say I saw Huey once I believe at the State Theatre many years ago and it was a good, fun enjoyable show. I think Huey is a big SF fan.
#abouttoignoreNECPhil

Not a big Huey Lewis fan but didn’t he have an album called Sports back in the day? Gotta say I saw Huey once I believe at the State Theatre many years ago and it was a good, fun enjoyable show. I think Huey is a big SF fan.
I believe Huey went to Lawrenceville Prep.

Agee and Reiber are face up big men....I would hesitate to even call Agee a big, he is a undersized PF, who faces the basket.....the staff asked players to do things they were not good at doing....

A) we tried Mulcahy as the primary starter of the offense at PG....it is not his ideal role, against other guards who want to pressure on defense.

B) We tried feeding an offensive player in Agee, into the low post, when his San Jose State game tape, showed him at the elbow or foul-line facing the basket and driving off the dribble. Agee is not a leaper, who can outjump his opponents inside.....why plug him inside, where he doesn't have the legs to jump over people or the arm-length or shoulders to crash into people and score?????

Aundre Hyatt is better at all of those things (post up offensive game, maneuver inside the FT line....).....that subtle change increases the offensive success.

C) Same with Reiber.....his HS tape was more mobility and fluid offensive game, facing up.....he can score in the post. But he needs more of a variety of post-up moves and to develop stronger hands and pump-fakes to draw contact and get to the FT line....but he has a decent release and touch, which you either have or you have to develop. I would let him take 2 to 3 3 pointers a game, for his 10 to 15 or so minutes......he is also able to pass the ball like Myles could from the top of the key or FT line

D) Cliff is also more fluid, facing the basket, he can jump hook and is wildly athletic and quick to dunk, before a normal big can react....he has a lot to learn on defensive positioning and understanding what post ups an opponent wants to go to....(Myles was better at understanding what an opponent wanted to do against him on offense, but sometimes wasn't able to avoid fouling)......Cliff is also smart about "letting people score" instead of challenging every shot.

This is where fans lose sight of "Dickinson or Walker from Nebraska was able to score on Cliff".....Well, "duh", this isn't 1 on 1 in the park, where there's no refs and no FTs.....Cliff understanding more he is needed on the floor and fouling or surrendering a few baskets is OK......he will offset it and get his offense on the other end.

I am not going to say that the departing players were not good players, that would be false.....what I am saying is it takes a level of sacrifice to dig in on defense like Caleb, and not feel important, only if you get 10 or more shots (insert whomever departing guard you want to here).

It is also OK to want to score and also defend, but an extra shot desire or that thirst to score, resulted in "putting my head down, going to the basket and seeing if I can score".

We are seeing less and less of those types of possessions, where last year, you could count on at least 10 to 12 possessions a game, where guards would just "take off with the ball".

Sometimes that works and looks good or spectacular and others, it would lead to a turnover or forced up shot and opponents getting baskets on the other end.

Reducing the empty possessions is helping this roster right now and don't mistake talent departing as "not as good of a team"......
A) This change is the biggest reason our offense looks so much better. It's lead to much better ball and player movement and Paul is more effective attacking the lane from the wing off ball reversals

I believe Huey went to Lawrenceville Prep.
Wow. You’re right. Did not know that. Born in NYC ; grew up in Bay Area; came back east to graduate from Lawrencevile Prep and Cornell. Scored an 800 in Math SATs. Love Wiki. 😀

Reactions: BillyC80
Bac is 1 more Huey Lewis post/song/reference from being on my ignore list. I can handle the COVID/political disagreements, but this is where the line must be drawn.

So take me away, I don't mind
But you better promise me, I'll be bac in time
Gotta get bac in time
Gotta get bac n time
Get me bac in time

Gotta get bac in time
Gotta get bac in time
Get bac, get bac

Wow. You’re right. Did not know that. Born in NYC ; grew up in Bay Area; came back east to graduate from Lawrencevile Prep and Cornell. Scored an 800 in Math SATs. Love Wiki.
Not a big fan of the guy but I remember that before he hit it big, Huey Lewis appeared on albums by Thin Lizzy and Philip Lynot solo work playing harmonica.

So take me away, I don't mind
But you better promise me, I'll be bac in time
Gotta get bac in time
Gotta get bac n time
Get me bac in time

Gotta get bac in time
Gotta get bac in time
Get bac, get bac
You look at me
And I begin to melt
Just like the snow when
A ray of sun is felt
And I'm crazy 'boutcha
Baby, can't you see
I'd be so delighted if
You would come with me
On the wings of love
Up and above the clouds
The only way to fly
Is on the wings of love
On the wings of love
Only the two of us
Together flying high
Flying high up on the wings of love

And I need you now tonight
And I need you more than ever
And if you only hold me tight
We'll be holding on forever
And we'll only be making it right
'Cause we'll never be wrong
Together we can take it to the end of the line
Your love is like a shadow on me all of the time (all of the time)
I don't know what to do and I'm always in the dark
We're living in a powder keg and giving off sparks
I really need you tonight
Forever's gonna start tonight

While Nebraska’s D was clearly lacking, they did do a decent job early on in pressuring the ball, especially when Geo was running the point.

I would give our offensive ball movement just a little more credit for making Nebraska’s D look even worse than it was.

Also gotta hand it to the coaches for game-planning, with Mulcahy often backing down his much smaller defender. Once he got deep into the paint, Paul was in position to work his magic, to either dish or score.
One of the defensive mistakes Nebby made was having the smallest player 5’10 guarding 6’6 Paul.

And I need you now tonight
And I need you more than ever
And if you only hold me tight
We'll be holding on forever
And we'll only be making it right
'Cause we'll never be wrong
Together we can take it to the end of the line
Your love is like a shadow on me all of the time (all of the time)
I don't know what to do and I'm always in the dark
We're living in a powder keg and giving off sparks
I really need you tonight
Just so we all know...

with 'Total Eclipse of the Heart', I was trying to come up with a love song and I remembered I actually wrote that to be a vampire love song. Its original title was 'Vampires in Love' because I was working on a musical of Nosferatu, the other great vampire story. If anyone listens to the lyrics, they're really like vampire lines. It's all about the darkness, the power of darkness and love's place in the dark...[17]

• Haha
Reactions: bac2therac
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT