ADVERTISEMENT

Syracuse Grad Transfer Center visiting Rutgers

I'm curious what part of lighting up Montana St for 11 Pts and racking up 4 fouls in 12 minutes makes people think this guy can contribute much of anything worth $25-$50k in scholarship $$, even in practice?

This is not Brent Dabbs, here. Not even Andre Lamoreaux (can't believe I have to type this in 2016).

Pass.
Well let's see...someone who can play basketball and is 6'9 and was still a member of one of the best teams in the nation is still better than....nobody, which is exactly what we'll have next year if we do not sign him. Can you understand that? We have the scholarship. You can't see the benefit of a full roster? He couldn't crack the rotation for minutes on one of the best college teams in the country. Guess what? Most of our other bigs wouldn't have either.

You understand what you sound like, as a Rutgers basketball fan, saying pass to anyone, right? This guy won't affect our scholarships going forward. This is exactly the type of piece we need for our team. It baffles me why you'd rather see an empty spot on the team rather than a senior 6'9 center who, even if he was a backup for us, would still be contributing. It's laughable.

Please...please tell us who you would get. All of the senior transfers fighting for a chance to play for our shitty team. I'm all ears. Absolutely hilarious how you're ready to be stingy with money that isn't yours and trot 9 guys out onto the court next year.

Last edited:
Sheridan definitely fit in this thread. Hey cloud get out the way damn it.

Neither one of our centers would have played for Syracuse last year either.

Keep the scholly for 2017 and get an extra big body for this year for practice and in case of injury. Any serious minutes/production you get out of the guy is gravy. He's also apparently a good citizen and it certainly doesn't hurt that he's been around a very successful program.

Sign me up.

Reactions: RUMountie
Keep the schollie? It's a grad transfer.

You have a few options with your leftover spots.

* Find a 2016 Frosh (likely 4-5 year commitment).
* Find a 2016 JUCO (2-3 year commitment).
* Grad transfer (1+ year commitment)
* Transfer (sit a year, 1-4 year commitment)
* Save it for 2017

If you're going to save it for 2017, you take a grad transfer for an extra body.

Reactions: daneman100
Keep the schollie? It's a grad transfer.

You have a few options with your leftover spots.

* Find a 2016 Frosh (likely 4-5 year commitment).
* Find a 2016 JUCO (2-3 year commitment).
* Grad transfer (1+ year commitment)
* Transfer (sit a year, 1-4 year commitment)
* Save it for 2017

If you're going to save it for 2017, you take a grad transfer for an extra body.
Sorry, I should have been more clear... Meant that if you take him, you still save the schollie for 2017. I'm all for taking him.

As I recall, there were times last season when we didn't even have enough practice players. I'd take him for the one year, unless there is a better option we don't know about.

I have no idea if this guy can help us but supposedly today is the day he is visiting RU.

The good news is absolutely no one who has posted above will have a say in who we sign and who we dont.

We have a new head coach that will make that decision....

Not expecting much out of the team this season and if he can help the team improve , take him.
Even if his contributions are only in practice if he helps Doorson and Diallo improve their game next season because of playing against them in practice this year ,I'll consider it a one year scholarship well spent .

If Doorson and Diallo were healthy and mobile enough defensively, you don't consider this type of addition.....this is a transition from offensive mindset to "how does RU get stops on defense"???

If this player can step out and defend a pick and roll or hedge on a screen and extend his arms on a jump shooter, perhaps we don't give up 89 PPG and get that number below 75PPG. The only reason this helps is it's a player that perhaps can add some offense periodically and play decent defense.

I'll take him. If you get him, Thiam, Sa, Diallo, and Doorson, that makes five guys who fall into the PF or C line (outside of Freeman). I would hope at least 1 guy can provide solids minutes out of the group.

I'll take him. If you get him, Thiam, Sa, Diallo, and Doorson, that makes five guys who fall into the PF or C line (outside of Freeman). I would hope at least 1 guy can provide solids minutes out of the group.
Definitely need the depth. Diallo has potential but looked like more of a project most of last year. Doorson is still a question mark with the foot injury and missing an entire season. I'm not sure Thiam will be ready to bang inside in the Big10 in his frosh year either.

Reactions: RC85
I see Jon Rothstein reported this. Apparently he wanted to start right away and the Bonnies did not play a center this past season and their top rebounder graduated. I would think he has guaranteed minutes in that situation. Good luck to him He will also still be in upstate NY where he has been for several years. We still have Doorson and Diallo at center and Freeman and Sa at power forward. Maybe we will land someone else.

True, we just move on. We should be able to get at least two more players from now until August for the class of 2016. We have 9 now counting Corey and hopefully we can get Issa Thiam and at least one 5th year grad student. That would give us 11 and we would have at least 3 scholarships for the class of 2017 and maybe more if Corey should leave after next year or anyone else does not return. Personally I don't care if we add any other 5th year grad students to this class as those scholarships would be available for 2017 too. I trust our coaching staff will make the right decisions.

Not troubled by this either but it would be nice to have a positive announcement even if its just officially acknowledging Bullock and Sa at this point.

I rather get an immediate transfer that can actually play.....what don't you get about this???? Lol
Play as in get minutes? That was gonna happen. Play as in start over our current starters? Why would we want to stunt their development like that?

You want to take the best talent period, regardless of whether they will play over current players. This guy played something like 67 total minutes last year which is laughable.

You want to take the best talent period, regardless of whether they will play over current players. This guy played something like 67 total minutes last year which is laughable.
Is there a gas leak in here? You take the best talent available...in the 2017 class. There is not a whole lot of options in 2016. A one year grad transfer has ZERO effect on who we can take for 2017, so where is the harm in taking someone to play our kids in practice? Kid sat behind two NBA level players..of course he didn't play. Our current centers would probably get the same minutes or LESS.

Newsflash..grad transfers aren't lining up to come to Rutgers to play one year of a rebuild year where we probably won't make the NIT. That's the reality we face...maybe our few fans should start living in it.

Give me a list with all our 1 year, juco, or 4 year scholarship options who could play in 2016. Please... By all means enlighten me.

There is not 1 scenario where holding the scholarship for 2017 and NOT getting a grad transfer to play this year is better than holding the 2017 scholarship anyway but having an extra body, no matter who that body might be. ESPECIALLY...a guy over 6'9 with decent size who could've given our guys better looks than someone 6'6 pretending to be a center on scout team. Seriously..is there a gas leak on this forum?

There is not 1 scenario where holding the scholarship for 2017 and NOT getting a grad transfer to play this year is better than holding the 2017 scholarship anyway but having an extra body, no matter who that body might be. ESPECIALLY...a guy over 6'9 with decent size who could've given our guys better looks than someone 6'6 pretending to be a center on scout team. Seriously..is there a gas leak on this forum?

If you're going to do that, why not look for a 2017 transfer? Still gets to practice, but will actually be good.

Reactions: ScarletLongIsland

What does it mean when a 3 star center is playing behind 4 star centers and can't see the floor? AND, by the way, add in the fact that Boeheim only plays 7-8 guys all year for the last 20 years

What's your conclusion? laughable minutes = laughable talent?

Who was he playing behind?

If you're going to do that, why not look for a 2017 transfer? Still gets to practice, but will actually be good.
That's fine..as long as you can find them. We have what? 3 spots left..we need them filled with something and the twins are far from a done deal with all the interest they are getting. Now if we get those two and a 5th year transfer then fine..we only have 3 spots right? But the clock is ticking and anyone we can get at this stage would be a blessing. Like I said..guys aren't lining up for a year where we might not make the nit.

Syracuse's scraps can play meaningfully for this squad. That is where we are as a program right now.

How good is he Coach? I assume you have seen him practice against the 4 star centers he played behind at Syracuse. A team that only plays 7-8 guys.

Coach Pikiell needs to learn an important lesson.......don't bring in for a visit and don't try to get a 5th year player unless it's approved by Coach Phans and Coach Scarlet......lol

Last edited:
Not sure why people are still arguing, he isn't coming here, is going to the Bonnies.

Not sure why people are still arguing, he isn't coming here, is going to the Bonnies.
Because it's snobbish to turn our nose up to any d1 player at this point coming off a season like we just had, let alone any grad transfer that would only tie up one single year of scholarship.

Reactions: RU-Choppin-Ohio
Did you watch us with JJ Moore a few years back? To a lesser extent Grier this year.

Subtraction by addition.
Well we do have a coach now. I believe in these coaches scouting a hell of a lot more than the previous staffs. But you'll never win me over with the argument that nobody is better than somebody.

Ask yourself 1 question.....Why would a guy with only 1 year to play choose Rutgers?

I get the High School senior or even a sophomore transferring, but a guy with 1 year left?

If he is good enough
A. His original school doesn't show him door (in case of a P5 guy)
B. Programs looking to win instantly offer

Well we do have a coach now. I believe in these coaches scouting a hell of a lot more than the previous staffs. But you'll never win me over with the argument that nobody is better than somebody.

You are missing the point. If we land the twins, that remaining scholarship is better suited for a grad transfer that has actually produced on the court in the past.

This is much of what the grad transfer world will look like. Sure, other than spending the school's money on a scholarship (which, by the way, should be taken seriously), there isn't much to lose in giving a grad transfer a scholarship for just the 2016 season. It doesn't hurt the availability of a scholarship for the 2017 class. But there generally won't be much to gain either. Sure, you can spend time manufacturing reasons why each of these transfers are difference makers, but few if any will actually be.

So, in the end, whether we get any one of these transfers will not matter all that much. But it's something to follow this time of year.

The real interesting things to watch will start with the 2017 class and watching how coached-up the players look next year. But there will be a lot of losing.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT