ADVERTISEMENT

Syracuse is targeting Dan Mullen as their new HC

I'd be surprised if he takes that job. It's such a huge step down from the SEC he might rather be unemployed.
I know he’s on espn, not sure what they pay. My buddy is a Gator, he hated him as their coach, but said he’s very good on tv. Fwiw

Target Mullin
Mullin uses Cuse, gets raise
Tundra eventually hires MAC coach or young coordinator
i hear Chris Ash is available

I know he’s on espn, not sure what they pay. My buddy is a Gator, he hated him as their coach, but said he’s very good on tv. Fwiw
He turned around a Florida from 3 wins the yr before to 10 wins in his first year.

He’s a fantastic coach. This will be a homerun hire for Syracuse!

Sara would have to extremely over pay him. No way he would want to be ass deep in snow 6 months each year. He hated recruiting at Florida, imagine him trying to get kid to play there.

I mentioned this in the carousel thread. Mullen and the Holy Cross coach Bob Chesney were the 2 names that were under serious consideration. Lower level coaches like Kleiman and Leipold have been demonstrating they're capable and might do well.

If you think the Cuse is bad, Mullen was under consideration at Temple last year. Mora is at UConn. Tom Herman the former coach at Texas and one time super hot name is at FAU. These guys aren't doing it for money. They've already made their generational money. Look at Mack Brown. They want to coach. It's just a matter of whether they found satisfaction and happiness outside of coaching and if not they look for chances to get back in it.

There are always worthy candidates for P5 jobs. Whether a candidate works out or not, who knows. It's always a crap shoot to a degree but you can always find someone who is worthy of the opportunity.

Last edited:
Reactions: vkj91
I mentioned this in the carousel thread. Mullen and the Holy Cross coach Bob Chesney were the 2 names that were under serious consideration. Lower level coaches like Kleiman and Leipold have been demonstrating they're capable and might do well.

If you think the Cuse is bad, Mullen was under consideration at Temple last year. Mora is at UConn. Tom Herman the former coach at Texas and one time super hot name is at FAU. These guys aren't doing it for money. They've already made their generational money. Look at Mack Brown. They want to coach. It's just a matter of whether they found satisfaction and happiness outside of coaching and if not they look for chances to get back in it.

There are always worthy candidates for P5 jobs. Whether a candidates works out or not, who knows. It's always a crap shoot to a degree but you can always find someone who is worthy of the opportunity.
Agree 100%. Coaching is an obsession. Mullen just wants to be on the sidelines again after 2 yrs off.

I wonder what the salary will be. I’m guessing $6M per yr.

He turned around a Florida from 3 wins the yr before to 10 wins in his first year.

He’s a fantastic coach. This will be a homerun hire for Syracuse!
Florida isn't the metric I'd use to measure Mullen and Syracuse. What he did a Miss St is more appropriate and the attraction of Mullen. A school that has less than its conference mates and where you have to demonstrate more with less. He doesn't like to recruit, Kirby Smart even digged him in one of his pressers this year, but that was true at Miss St too so he just needs to recruit well enough for Cuse an figure out how to make it work with what he gets and he has in the past.

On paper, it would be a good hire but never know how things work out in reality.

He has been the analyst on several recent Syracuse games and they constantly dropped comments about him being the next Syracuse coach.

Agree 100%. Coaching is an obsession. Mullen just wants to be on the sidelines again after 2 yrs off.

I wonder what the salary will be. I’m guessing $6M per yr.
It's private so we won't know but I'd be shocked if it was that much. I'd more likely expect something like 3-4.5M. What do you think Mora got at UConn or Herman at FAU. They're not doing it for money and Cuse isn't paying that much either.

Reactions: Morrischiano
Kyle Whittingham isn't a new one I'd heard of with regards to A&M. I expect A&M won't be the only ones who want things settled by the end of the weekend or Monday.

Kyle Whittingham isn't a new one I'd heard of with regards to A&M. I expect A&M won't be the only ones who want things settled by the end of the weekend or Monday.

I don't know why these guys, in this case Wittingham would want to leave Utah where he could stay as long as he wants, to risk his career at a place like Texas A&M that would probably be looking to dump him if he didn't win 10-11 games a year.

I don't know why these guys, in this case Wittingham would want to leave Utah where he could stay as long as he wants, to risk his career at a place like Texas A&M that would probably be looking to dump him if he didn't win 10-11 games a year.
I’d be surprised if he left but never know for sure.

Maybe the end of the PAC is part of it like Jonathan Smith 🤷‍♂️

Yes but unlike OSU or WSU, Utah has landed on their feet.
Sure they’ve landed on their feet-ish as in not out in the cold but not sure how much he might have been attached to the west coast etc for recruiting.

Nonetheless, I’m suprised to see his name mentioned and would be even more surprise if he left Utah. But Kelly and Riley moved too so never know for sure.

Meh....don't care...wasn't the "slant" hERE that he couldn't recruit? That he's got no "personality" to "recruit the northeast?"

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT