ADVERTISEMENT

Syracuse to Fire Babers Today

I like Babers but SU ball is a mess.
They come out of the season's gate like lions and the wilt after a big loss (usually to Clemson)
Babers was born in Hawaii (Army family) and played at University of Hawaii where he began coaching career.

No surprise. I mentioned to you in the games thread yesterday, there's a good chance he's on the hotseat.

Not really sure what direction they'd go in and who is possible. Maybe P5 coordinator or G5 coach like Candle if MSU doesn't come calling.

Edit: Cignetti at JMU, Monken at Army or Odom at UNLV could be solid choices.

Last edited:
Reactions: redking
They were patient with him. Wonder who’s on their list - try to catch lightning in a bottle with a hot coordinator? Not a premier job - I’m sure they’ll inquire about people like Leopold but have no chance. The brand is so low right now.
Interesting name - Rich Rod?

Last edited:
They were patient with him. Wonder who’s on their list - try to catch lightning in a bottle with a hot coordinator? Not a premier job - I’m sure they’ll inquire about people like Leopold but have no chance. The brand is so low right now.
Interesting name - Rich Rod?
Rich Rod would be a good option too on top of the other options I’d mentioned above.

Not happy about this.
I liked Babers there as never scared us.
Always love watching Cuse implode.
Wonder if driving them nuts that a former Rutgers coach is the interim.
Weirdly they have Wake next week which they could win and become bowl eligible. RU v Cuse in Yankee?
Marone is a good coach if they chose that route. Sorta like us and Greg!
JMU coach and Army coach seem like good choices.
Fairly confident Cuse will screw it up per usual.

Not happy about this.
Weirdly they have Wake next week which they could win and become bowl eligible. RU v Cuse in Yankee?
Syracuse was at the pinstripe last year . Doubt they will go back

Reactions: Jimpeg
Not happy about this.

Monken is a unique fit at West Point. No way.

Reactions: Steve91562
I definitely would've liked Babers there for longer.

Worst case scenario is Nunz winning out, being named head coach and making out recruiting Rutgers his personal vendetta.

Reactions: Knight Shift
I definitely would've liked Babers there for longer.

Worst case scenario is Nunz winning out, being named head coach and making out recruiting Rutgers his personal vendetta.
I would love that just to watch Cuse heads explode.

Reactions: TRU2RU
There should no way Cignetti (JMU) would or should entertain Cuse. Can get a much better job or simply stay put for now.
Syracuse is a program that might scare away coaches on the rise because of they might think the Orange program is a career killer now.
Retreads looking for another chance or ganbles the better P-5 programs just give a look see then pass over might be Syracuse material.
Their glory days have passed , so getting the pick of the litter won't be an easy task.
Gambling on one of the runts or a hound dog with HC experience seems like the best they can hire. If they can't entice a P5 coordinator that Syracuse with the right HC can be the big winner it once was under Ben Schwartzwalder

Syracuse is a program that might scare away coaches on the rise because of they might think the Orange program is a career killer now.
Retreads looking for another chance or ganbles the better P-5 programs just give a look see then pass over might be Syracuse material.
Their glory days have passed , so getting the pick of the litter won't be an easy task.
Gambling on one of the runts or a hound dog with HC experience seems like the best they can hire. If they can't entice a P5 coordinator that Syracuse with the right HC can be the big winner it once was under Ben Schwartzwalder
Coaches on the rise currently doesn’t mean coaches on the rise in the future. One day you’re flaming hot the next you’re burnt out embers. Just look at Candle who is mentioned now again. He was hot for a time then not and now is again somewhat. You can’t assume opportunity will always be there tomorrow. If you don’t answer the knock, it may never come again.

Also don’t assume a JMU coach can have his pick of the litter as opposed to higher level G5 like Cincy or UCF of old days before they joined the B12.

Leipold had done some really big things at lower levels and some stuff at Buffalo and only got an offer from Kansas which was a bad a situation as you’ll come across in the P5. Klieman was doing very well at NDSU but it was a KSU only willing to take a shot on him. A P5 job is still a P5 job and is still a multimillion dollar job and big money compared to what you get at most lower level programs. I wouldn’t assume most lower level coaches would pass on one.

Reactions: MADHAT1
Only two winning seasons there in whatever many years... it is not surprising to see a change being made. Marrone should be their top target IMO.

Coaches on the rise currently doesn’t mean coaches on the rise in the future. One day you’re flaming hot the next you’re burnt out embers. Just look at Candle who is mentioned now again. He was hot for a time then not and now is again somewhat. You can’t assume opportunity will always be there tomorrow. If you don’t answer the knock, it may never come again.

Also don’t assume a JMU coach can have his pick of the litter as opposed to higher level G5 like Cincy or UCF of old days before they joined the B12.

Leipold had done some really big things at lower levels and some stuff at Buffalo and only got an offer from Kansas which was a bad a situation as you’ll come across in the P5. Klieman was doing very well at NDSU but it was a KSU only willing to take a shot on him. A P5 job is still a P5 job and is still a multimillion dollar job and big money compared to what you get at most lower level programs. I wouldn’t assume most lower level coaches would pass on one.
actually I believe some rising lower level HCs look at HC positions that they might be offered and feel that place isn't right for them and decide staying where they are at , for now,might be better for their future than taking a job ( even a P-5 job if not for big money and/or long term contract) that they feel doesn't give the type of support that will help them win., so will wait till next year to see what's available that might be worth looking into.

actually I believe some rising lower level HCs look at HC positions that they might be offered and feel that place isn't right for them and decide staying where they are at , for now,might be better for their future than taking a job ( even a P-5 job if not for big money and/or long term contract) that they feel doesn't give the type of support that will help them win., so will wait till next year to see what's available that might be worth looking into.
They don’t get big positions usually unless they’re coming from a high G5 and many of the high G5s now have been absorbed by the P5.

Troy Taylor from Sacramento St to Stanford is another example. They get the harder jobs. Tressel is the last one I can think off the top of my head and that was ages ago.

For whatever reason, ADs don’t want to take a risk on them as opposed to hires from other categories.

Dreams do come true - for a few weeks anyway

nzTJnmW.jpg

Believe he just got an extension too. The academy coaching gigs are pretty good I imagine.

He did - nobody knows for how much because Monken's salary is paid for by alumni and they can keep it private.
Monken is perfect fit for Army because most coaches without SA experience get intimidated by the military side.
Monken is like the honey badger up there.
He knows he's there to win games and that the brass can be more of a problem than a help.
I've seen other guys start apologizing "to the corps" after loses and you can tell they dont fit in well.
Monken even looks like an Army guy

Is it ‘after the season’ ? I don’t see any reason to fire a coach with just 1-2 games left and a bowl game on the line.

Reactions: G- RUnit
Is it ‘after the season’ ? I don’t see any reason to fire a coach with just 1-2 games left and a bowl game on the line.

In a few weeks there will be a slew of firings and coaching searches.
SU can get a head start before the competition heats up
Recruits want to know who is coaching as well

Portal, recruiting signing day are so compressed so schools want to get as quick a start as possible.

They've been looking at changing dates for things so a lot isn't crammed into a small timeframe.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT