ADVERTISEMENT

Take notes Eddie

Eddie ?

It's been 8 years. Let it go dude.
Thought he was talking about this Eddie:

meeting-across-the-river-56

Eddie's spending his days on a golf course in a warm location these days. Rebounds are the farthest thing from his mind. Unfortunately they were also the farthest thing on his mind when he coached

Turnaround started 2 games ago already. We out rebounded OSU and Iowa
Last three games
OR% = 32.5, 39.1, 37.3 / Average 36.3 - would put us #26 if it was for the whole year
Defensive OR% = 23.5, 22.2, 20.0 / Average 21.9 - would put us #7 if it was for the whole year

And the opponents are kind of a wash, Indiana is a bad OR team, Iowa is average and Ohio St is good.

If this holds up in the longer term it is really an astonishing turnaround.

Reactions: Scangg
(If the rebounding improvements hold) this team is actually decent to good at everything except for having the ball go in the hoop once they shoot it. Now the hope is we've just been cold and can improve from horrendous to merely terrible going forward..

We are #331 in 3p%, #330 in 2p%, #307 in FT%. If we could just get to #250 in all of those it would get us ~5ppg which is ~7.3p per 100 possessions which would move us from #87 to #40 in Kenpom.

Reactions: Scangg and PhillyRU
(If the rebounding improvements hold) this team is actually decent to good at everything except for having the ball go in the hoop once they shoot it. Now the hope is we've just been cold and can improve from horrendous to merely terrible going forward..

We are #331 in 3p%, #330 in 2p%, #307 in FT%. If we could just get to #250 in all of those it would get us ~5ppg which is ~7.3p per 100 possessions which would move us from #87 to #40 in Kenpom.
This is the thing, we’re D1 average or better in every major offensive statistical category aside from shooting, and 344th in eFG feels like it has to balance out on some level — Texas A&M (who has an ORB% of 44.6 lol) is the only P5 team in our zip code

The rebounding turnaround is so impressive. Pike has gotten through to the team in that area for sure

We will have some hot shooting games eventually which should lead to a few upset wins

The rebounding turnaround is so impressive. Pike has gotten through to the team in that area for sure

We will have some hot shooting games eventually which should lead to a few upset wins
Gotta believe Mag’s return to form has something to do with this. Even when he doesn’t get the rebound, he can be seen mixing it up inside and in some cases tipping it out to where one of our other guys can be credited with the board.

I really can't understand the shooting woes. I mean, certain players always struggle (e.g. Caleb McConnell). But our entire team is putting up some terrible shots that I bet they make easily in practice. Potentially our best shooter is putting up airballs regularly (i.e. GG).

To me, it's inexplicable (not talking about missed layups, talking about shooting from mid and long range). I would guess that the players are all working hard on it, and are as mystified as everybody else.

I can't be the only person genuinely wondering if the hoops wherever they practice are somehow off. It can't all be explained by a slump, or by lack of confidence.

Are the players this year less fit than usual? That could do it. Hard to shoot well when winded. Simpson seems to be starting to figure things out from mid range (not 3s and layups, though). But in general the team could build a new Taj Mahal per game with all the bricks they're putting up.

Reactions: Loyal-Son

2017-18 (left) vs. 2023-24:
4NFVrsQ.png

I really can't understand the shooting woes. I mean, certain players always struggle (e.g. Caleb McConnell). But our entire team is putting up some terrible shots that I bet they make easily in practice. Potentially our best shooter is putting up airballs regularly (i.e. GG).

To me, it's inexplicable (not talking about missed layups, talking about shooting from mid and long range). I would guess that the players are all working hard on it, and are as mystified as everybody else.

I can't be the only person genuinely wondering if the hoops wherever they practice are somehow off. It can't all be explained by a slump, or by lack of confidence.

Are the players this year less fit than usual? That could do it. Hard to shoot well when winded. Simpson seems to be starting to figure things out from mid range (not 3s and layups, though). But in general the team could build a new Taj Mahal per game with all the bricks they're putting up.
I honestly think it's a combo of:
(a) we don't have many good shooters
(b) the ones that should be good either struggle to get any attemps or force up bad ones (see Noah/Gavin and to some extent Hyatt although he's been decent from 3 this year)
(c) we're just cold / have shot below expectations

I think it can actually be explained by slump / lack of confidence, I haven't run the numbers but I doubt it's that far fetched for a team that should shoot, I don't know 31-32% from three, just normal bad, to go 28.6% through 15 games. Especially when you factor in some of the shot selection issues.

Didn't the center for Indiana have 17 rebounds last night ?

I honestly think it's a combo of:
(a) we don't have many good shooters
(b) the ones that should be good either struggle to get any attemps or force up bad ones (see Noah/Gavin and to some extent Hyatt although he's been decent from 3 this year)
(c) we're just cold / have shot below expectations

I think it can actually be explained by slump / lack of confidence, I haven't run the numbers but I doubt it's that far fetched for a team that should shoot, I don't know 31-32% from three, just normal bad, to go 28.6% through 15 games. Especially when you factor in some of the shot selection issues.
Those things are all probably true. But some of our long dry spells in games are pretty epic. I don't recall seeing anything quite like it.

To me, even average D1 shooters should be making more of the shots I see our players taking and missing badly. I have to think those are shots they make all the time in practice. For sure shot selection is a factor sometimes. But in some games, the shot selection isn't too bad (Pike will even say it's good after the game, and I don't think that's just coach speak). And it's those decent opportunities that we miss so badly that stand out as odd to me.

Not just 3s, but from all over the place.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT