ADVERTISEMENT

Targum: Barchi has killled Rutgers Football, as he planned on .

I mean, there's a lot there (on the surface) that I want to agree with....... but, just so factually wrong... We were not in the B1G when Kurt was hired...... and he actually won a lot of games no one expected him to (granted, it was all with GS recruits)..... Hiring a Coordinator from a National Champion is actually a "big time" action (it just so happens we got the booby prize behind door #3).......

... it sounds more like a Rutgers1000 complainer than anything.....

This article is a start. We need to crank up the pressure and get this program on the right path.

We can win here ! Everyone needs to understand that.
+1

It’s the last box to be checked...win, not WIN or WIN but win on a regular or consistent basis.

Amazing how stupid the writers of the columns are. Guess what genius: Barchi was NOT here when Schiano left. DUH!!!

hmmm.. when exactly did all this take place?

I know Schiano left in January 2012 and Barchi was announced in April 2012

Did we know McCormick was stepping down well before that?

Did Schiano have any input in the hiring of the next President? At maybe State Us a successful head football coach would have at least been consulted if only to make him feel included.

I suspect Schiano's leaving was mostly about conference issues.. difficulty in recruiting caused by conference issues.. and a unique opportunity. If he had turned down Miami and Michigan and then an NFL gig. would he ever get another offer? And his wife was a Florida person.. right?

Barchi has admitted he doesn't care about athletics.. and I am sure it has had a negative effect.. so, really, does anyone need to warp time to connect the dots in making a case?

“The football deficit is paid for by the fees of students who will spend decades paying off their student loans. It is one thing to borrow money for your own education, quite another so that Rutgers can pay someone $10,000,000 to coach a football team that you did not know existed. It is only a matter of time before the students demand to end their support of the program, which will end the program itself. I will be devastated, but since the Athletics Department has deliberately antagonized both the fan base and the faculty, no one else will care when football is gone.”

Students demand to end their support of the program? Interesting approach. Their voices will be heard a lot louder than those of season ticket holders. Students can make noise that the administration will take seriously.

Can you imagine Barchi facing student protests about the FB program each time he speaks on campus? Actually sounds like an intriguing approach.

Last edited:
Take it for what it's worth. I have hosted a fair amount of senior people from RU, overseas. These are mostly Deans and senior administrators. Every single person hates Barchi. By all accounts the guy is an intractable, arrogant asshole who thinks he knows better than anybody who had the temerity to walk on the same dirt he does. Friggen guy thinks he's a rocket scientist.

I’m not remotely surprised that such a incoherent and incorrect article was written by a professor. Biggest joke going in academia today. Most of those people are clowns who would get eaten alive in the private sector.

I'm reading it and I am convinced this Arnold Glass is a poster here. His facts are as f-ed up as many on here that like to revisit history without actually knowing facts.
As pointed out - Barchi was not the president at the time. And Rutgers was not in the B1G at the time either so why is he comparing it to MST, OSU, Mich, PSU?
Next- often told here on this board but not true. Greg did not take all of his staff and left Flood behind. He recommended Flood to Tim and Flood was hired as the HC at the time when Greg had to come back to grab all the staff because all NFL staff boycotted him.
And while true, Flood was an unqualified HC and yes, he lost games he should have won...but he does have that Championship and he took PSU to the wire, beat Arky twice, got to bowls and beat Michigan. And even the Great GS lost many games he should have won. Big Deal.
And we all know the story of Flood in disguise meeting with a professor to try to allow for extra credit. Yeah, while that could have changed the grade, it is a grey area...he was not asking a professor to change a F into a C.Little know fact...JH and the Dean knew all about the meeting and approved of it. Would have been no big deal except that someone decided to use it to hang the duffus.
And then when hiring Ash- while it seemed we did not beg Greg to come back- the feeling was mutual.
Then he goes into the student fees, their loans etc...I hope he really doesn't feel that this is the real funnel that feeds Rutgers football. Maybe he also doesn't realize(much like Barchi) football is what brought the feast(B1G) to the table. Our University is in a much better place because of being a part of the B1G...don't put student loans and fees on the football team, put them on Barchi because he is eating first and giving all the best meat to his babies and letting the guy(football) who brought the feast(B1G) sit at the kids table.

I'm reading it and I am convinced this Arnold Glass is a poster here. His facts are as f-ed up as many on here that like to revisit history without actually knowing facts.
As pointed out - Barchi was not the president at the time. And Rutgers was not in the B1G at the time either so why is he comparing it to MST, OSU, Mich, PSU?
Next- often told here on this board but not true. Greg did not take all of his staff and left Flood behind. He recommended Flood to Tim and Flood was hired as the HC at the time when Greg had to come back to grab all the staff because all NFL staff boycotted him.
And while true, Flood was an unqualified HC and yes, he lost games he should have won...but he does have that Championship and he took PSU to the wire, beat Arky twice, got to bowls and beat Michigan. And even the Great GS lost many games he should have won. Big Deal.
And we all know the story of Flood in disguise meeting with a professor to try to allow for extra credit. Yeah, while that could have changed the grade, it is a grey area...he was not asking a professor to change a F into a C.Little know fact...JH and the Dean knew all about the meeting and approved of it. Would have been no big deal except that someone decided to use it to hang the duffus.
And then when hiring Ash- while it seemed we did not beg Greg to come back- the feeling was mutual.
Then he goes into the student fees, their loans etc...I hope he really doesn't feel that this is the real funnel that feeds Rutgers football. Maybe he also doesn't realize(much like Barchi) football is what brought the feast(B1G) to the table. Our University is in a much better place because of being a part of the B1G...don't put student loans and fees on the football team, put them on Barchi because he is eating first and giving all the best meat to his babies and letting the guy(football) who brought the feast(B1G) sit at the kids table.

He is a poster here.

Attendance is a problem at other schools with football problems, like Arkansas and UCLA to name 2. It’s what happens when a program has become downtrodden. Football is not going away at Rutgers. It can be fixed.

The Prof is weak with his "facts". Bloustein bragged about "bigger time" football. That should have been a huge red flag. The administration HATES spending money on sports and is ignorant to not understand that winning in sports -> increases donations and applications. If we keep losing badly at the end of the season and Ash is not fired then Barchi needs to be fired. Go after the root cause.

I mean, there's a lot there (on the surface) that I want to agree with....... but, just so factually wrong... We were not in the B1G when Kurt was hired...... and he actually won a lot of games no one expected him to (granted, it was all with GS recruits)..... Hiring a Coordinator from a National Champion is actually a "big time" action (it just so happens we got the booby prize behind door #3).......

... it sounds more like a Rutgers1000 complainer than anything.....
Urban Meyer would gladly give you Schiano back for Ash.

Question. If the dean knew about Flood meeting the professor why did Flood feel the need to disguise himself?

I am sorry the writer is dead wrong, Barchi will be known as one of the better Rutgers presidents by those in academia, period. That is not changing based on the football program. Football fans will curse his existence, no doubt, unless the next hire whether it is at the end of the 2018 or 2019 season wins. Really is that simple.

Last edited:
His facts may be messed up but the gist of the article is correct...Barchi hates sports and cannot be bothered with them and has said repeatedly he isnt getting into an arms race. How many sporting events has he attended ever? He snubbed CVS 1000th win..what a joke, a game that had been planned for months so no excuse that he was off meeting with a donor

hmmm.. when exactly did all this take place?

I know Schiano left in January 2012 and Barchi was announced in April 2012

Did we know McCormick was stepping down well before that?

Did Schiano have any input in the hiring of the next President? At maybe State Us a successful head football coach would have at least been consulted if only to make him feel included.

I suspect Schiano's leaving was mostly about conference issues.. difficulty in recruiting caused by conference issues.. and a unique opportunity. If he had turned down Miami and Michigan and then an NFL gig. would he ever get another offer? And his wife was a Florida person.. right?

Barchi has admitted he doesn't care about athletics.. and I am sure it has had a negative effect.. so, really, does anyone need to warp time to connect the dots in making a case?

Barchi has never ADMITTED he doesn't care about athletics. If you are going to say something like that, then show your work.

Barchi has never ADMITTED he doesn't care about athletics. If you are going to say something like that, then show your work.

dude he has admitted that he is not to spend the money like other schools...in addition, he wasnt even going to bother to get involved in the whole practice facility until he got called out by Lesniak, Julie and the NJ press. He embarrassed himself in a back and forth with Lesniak...he didnt bother to watch the Pernetti tape....I can go on and on, but I dont have the time to sit here and find the specific quotes which I have already posted before...the guy is not a a big sports supporter..he just isnt.

Do you need someone to literally say the words for you to get it? He has gone out of his way countless times to say that sports aren't very important to him. There are many ways to communicate a message without actually saying the words.

Everyone knows how many top programs pour money into the ca$h programs like FB and MBB. The fact that RU's administration is not willing to enter the "arms race" should not surprise anyone with the way NJ's citizens view supporting its state uniiversity.
We are the poor relatives in the BIG family. Plain and simple.

dude he has admitted that he is not to spend the money like other schools...in addition, he wasnt even going to bother to get involved in the whole practice facility until he got called out by Lesniak, Julie and the NJ press. He embarrassed himself in a back and forth with Lesniak...he didnt bother to watch the Pernetti tape....I can go on and on, but I dont have the time to sit here and find the specific quotes which I have already posted before...the guy is not a a big sports supporter..he just isnt.

What he admitted is that he is NOT going go spend money like Michigan and Ohio State.

He has NEVER admitted that he does't care about athletics. HUGE difference.

He may not be a fan of spending more than we can, or should (none of the rest of the Big Ten spend as much as Ohio State or Michigan) but that is not the same as saying he doesn't care about athletics. PERIOD.

So many things here.

I couldn't get past the third paragraph. The flood of errors made it impossible to take seriously whatever "tone" the piece might have had. I can't care about someone's opinion when they are so messed up with the facts.

The notion that Barchi will be remembered for killing football is preposterous. We hire a coordinator from a national champion school with as much of a pedigree as any school in the country. It went wrong. It doesn't mean there is a deliberate plot to kill football. And I read nothing into the fact Ash hasn't been fired yet. I can wait until the end of the season. I know the early signing period, blah, blah, blah, but haven't we learned the lesson about hiring a coach for a short-term goal? I know I have. I'd gladly sacrifice a recruiting class (as if Ash has one anyway) to get someone in here who knows what he's doing.

I would characterize Barchi's attitude toward sports as benign neglect. It sucks for sports fans, but it is not a big deal to anyone else, including the state as a whole. In fact, he was hired for the same reason Flood was -- to manage something that was in the pipeline. Barchi's was the merger, Flood's was the recruiting class. Not being in NJ, I'm not sure if the merger is totally completed, but if it is, it's time for a new president regardless of your attitude toward sports. We are a comprehensive, research-oriented flagship state university. A lot goes on here, from the philosophy department to the relationship with New Brunswick to being in the Big Ten. A med school expert is no longer required.

The details of the article are actually not that important, crazy enough...

The important thing is that there are people out there who feel strongly enough about this to write articles . And many more like this person .

What he admitted is that he is NOT going go spend money like Michigan and Ohio State.

He has NEVER admitted that he does't care about athletics. HUGE difference.

He may not be a fan of spending more than we can, or should (none of the rest of the Big Ten spend as much as Ohio State or Michigan) but that is not the same as saying he doesn't care about athletics. PERIOD.

He has proven it.. he said it with his actions.. but I will lessen the degree of my statement..

Barchi DID NOT care much about athletics. I have no idea if he cares more now that football is disintegrating and we're stuck with Ash because of his poor decisions.

I know I read a quote about his dismissal of the importance of athletics.. as well as a quote by him about the importance of athletics in marketing Rutgers.. go figure.

read this story from onthebanks.. it is positive toward barchi overall.. which is fine.. but where athletics are concerned.. he was not at all concerned enough to be involved. Barchi palyed football at Georgetown. Its not like he hates athletics. He just doesn't know enough about Big Time athletics and doesn't care enough to learn... he has bigger fish to fry. Athletics is, what? 1% of the budget? Barchi is a CEO type.

A) he should have taken the time to watch the video of the Mike Rice thing.. OBVIOUSLY

B) fire Rice or not, he should have never fired Pernetti. Barchi needed Pernetti but wasn't concerned enough about athletics to defend him. He only found the guts to fight when it was HIS job at stake. Compare that it how UNC handled their scandals.

C) he should have never hired Julie, given her own abusive-coach history as well as her inexperience with football. he should have never let Kate Sweeney decide who the hire was when he paid an executive search firm for advice. Someone who cared enough about athletics would not have allowed that to happen.. but since he doesn't care.. much...

Jordan hiring? Understandable mistake. Ash hiring.. perhaps understandable but his contract was a big mistake. Therefore hiring Hobbs was a mistake... and JH and Hobbs would not have been hired if he had the guts to hold onto Pernetti.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT