ADVERTISEMENT

The efficiency and stat breakdown- Omoyuri vs Harper Jr.

It is obviously better than having an opinion without watching the player at all. How can anyone take your opinion seriously if you haven't seen him play? Pretty ridiculous

I haven't given a negative opinion. I am agnostic right now...not sure if that is a good word to use here.

While I dont want to reference a 'fictional Yeboah' you have previously cited, he appears (in real life) to be someone who will pull the trigger on a 3 coming off a screen much faster than most of our current roster. According to highlights, of course, but he shot a $hit ton of threes in those highlights

He does pull the trigger a lot on threes, attempting 8.2 per 40 min this past year and 7.8 per 40 min for his three year career at SB. For comparison, that's more than any player on our roster last year, well ahead of Peter Kiss at 7.1 per 40 and Baker at 6.7 per 40. His junior year was even ahead of either of Jacob Young's years at Texas (8.1 as a freshman and 7.4 as a soph).

I posted this before, but I'll put it up again including Yeboah this time:

Going back over the last 15 years... three point attempts per 40 min, career (and 3P%):
8.5 - Douby (.389)
8.3 - Rosario (.328)
8.1 - Shields (.357)
7.8 - Yeboah (.335)
7.8 - Young (.271)

7.7 - Carter (.307)
7.4 - Grier (.354)
6.6 - Mack (.369)
6.5 - Griffin (.286)
6.3 - Harper (.278)
6.3 - Williams (.285)
6.2 - Baker (.350)
6.2 - Kiss (.288)

6.1 - Moore (.317)
5.9 - Beatty (.382)
5.7 - Thiam (.336)
5.6 - Chandler (.293)
5.0 - Johnson (.329)
5.0 - Mitchell (.368)
4.9 - Sanders (.274)
4.9 - Seagears (.363)
4.7 - McConnell (.357)

All those players shot over longer players than Yeboah will see....your point is taken though...that is serious volume, and not the Issa 3

I am taking the sample size from Ohio State forward. 43 assists to 31 turnovers. It's Ok....maybe it should have been higher assists because we blew a layup or missed an easy shot.

Maybe there are "hockey assists", where the 2nd pass led to a basket.

All comes down to the notion fans buying that he was the best player....he was the player who scored the most per game and grabbed the most rebounds per game and let the front court in minutes played.

My notion is, he's not a #1, 2, 3rd or 4th option, anywhere on this planet, for a program geared to win games. He is a player caught in the crossfire of a violent rebuild, that will have a couple of casualties during this process. In order to move the program forward, we need better players to play a complete game of basketball on both ends and not be a one or two dimensional player.

Does that mean he's the 7th best player in our 9 or 10 man rotation?? I'm not going that far, but he would not have started this coming season, with Yeboah, Harper playing on this roster IMO.

That may be a harsh but reasonable and documented assessment that takes the emotional aspect of items that dont factor in to stats, metrics and other aspects that are thrown around like warrior and leadership.

I'm looking to win games, not appease players who believe they're entitled to play 30 minutes a night, take the most amount of shots, and monopolize the ball at times.

If we are talking about leadership and warrior mentality, Mike Williams is my definition. He's not or wasn't physically as talented as others and perhaps not the scoring threat like Eugene. But he deferred to a freshman like Geo, bought in as his role, kept his head down and impacted the game without the basketball.

He found other ways to contribute and saw a larger picture....it's called "buying in" and Eugene didn't do that. He bought in by playing hurt when he didn't have to and that's as far as I'm willing to go.

At a crossroads when a more efficient player started to emerge in Harper and others, the ball started sticking more to him, when he got it...he, at times, tried to do things on his own, when he physically didn't have the ability to do so. That is not his fault, but he decided to bounce.....

He decided to bounce because he was being passed by.....he was not ever RUs best player on skill level IMO....he could've deferred for the betterment of the program and saw the writing on the wall. Step back and evaluate the larger picture, reward a coach who opened doors and entrusted a leadership role.

What did he do, when perhaps things were passing him by and better talent was emerging or being recruited as targets....he skipped town at Midnight, without the respect I feel, our program warranted....and without the skill level, warranting a pass.

He is a player I believe helped rebuild the program, but that's as much as I'm giving him. He's not Mike Williams who showed what that means and set a high standard for buying in.

I read your entire post and I agree with most of it, including the shitty way this ended, but you still don’t give EO credit for being a good passer, especially for a post guy.

Reactions: Greene Rice FIG
I read your entire post and I agree with most of it, including the shitty way this ended, but you still don’t give EO credit for being a good passer, especially for a post guy.

I can certainly see and give credit for being a good passer....i also believe that RU is a better program minus Eugene in the starting lineup.

I do think that there's a significant amount of RU fans that could benefit from taking advantage of how huge of an opportunity this departure is....and unfortunately the other unknown variable was a huge mistake made by Issa Thiam, losing his way and spot on this roster. Both, however it occurred, changes the perception of how much faster things can get fixed, for a program that has decided to take the higher ground on recruiting and how they go about bringing players into the program.

There's a ton of momentum generated with the program and that doesn't mean bumps along the way aren't going to happen.

You would be somewhat surprised how many random messages get sent my way, from people I haven't seen or spoken to before or I cross paths with in various lots during tailgates etc.... Most are people that agree with me and are extending thanks for being reasonable and guarded, in football and hoops.

The bar and dynamics on all things RU, whether its simple reporting, coverage and analysis needs to be raised several notches. And the biggest hurdle is a good amount of RU fans here and reading this, stuck in some sort of historical mind warp of rehashing irrelevance and facts about what RU hasn't done or mistakes made in decades ago or even last year, as if it matters today.

Just get on board, enjoy the ride and steer clear or help change the mindset of some disconnected or unaware fans, media and others that just lack swagger or confidence. I've been called a homer, and far worse, because I am 1000% certain, revenue streams and the image of RU, being in a great conference and all that comes with that matters.....and that RU will be significantly better in the next 30 years than the past 30 years. Some believe the boogeyman is outside their door, while ignoring how much closer we are getting things vs the rest of the B1G.

I do extend an overall apology for the last couple of years for my extreme confidence on all things RU....I've been deemed arrogant, smug, condescending a lot, for my beliefs or thoughts on a lot of sports items with RU, the B1G and there's a population of people, still not ready to believe better times are ahead.

They're afraid of losing Eugene, or perhaps falling victim that when something inevitably happens that isn't good, they panic vs stopping to look or evaluate things first. The thoughts that there's not a better option than Eugene might be behind door #2 or #3.....I'm very certain that there are better options beyond Eugene and Thiam and this will be another step forward for certain.

I didn't think the NCAAS were in reach for 2019-2020, at the start of this past year, with the lineups and limitations from November to December of 2018. There wasn't much to latch onto, leaning on Eugene as the primary option....Fast forward 6 months later and 3 players that were in the starting lineup or playing significant minutes at Miami, at Fordham or at SHU, are being replaced with players with talent and legitimate upside. The door is now completely open with Eugene out of the way...it wasn't going to happen this coming season with him in the way of others who were just flat out better players.

This closes my book on EO and 2018-19 for me. What happened last year is done and has no impact on the 2019-2020 years and beyond. Time to press forward and enjoy what should be a very good and eventful summer and fall. Don't fall victim to when RU has a bad game next year that Eugene would've made a difference and the nonsense...instead just watch the change and whether RU can make a huge jump forward in one year or maybe it takes the standard 2 to 3 years from now.

Reactions: Scarlet Shack
A poster told me that he thought Corey Sanders stole my girlfriend.

I am starting think Eugene took the last cakepop while in front of you in line at Starbucks.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT