ADVERTISEMENT

The line is moving

Sec127

Freshman
Oct 1, 2001
Apparently the Umass v RU spread is one of the biggest moving lines. It has gone from RU giving 11 to RU giving 15.5. I was wondering if anyone would be happy with a 31-14 type of result.
If this is going to be a "signs of improvement" type of year, I think it will require something along the lines of a 48-7 score.

Apparently the Umass v RU spread is one of the biggest moving lines. It has gone from RU giving 11 to RU giving 15.5. I was wondering if anyone would be happy with a 31-14 type of result.
If this is going to be a "signs of improvement" type of year, I think it will require something along the lines of a 48-7 score.

Ehhh...opening line probably holds more water. Betting trends drive the line. Could me people think Rutgers is better than the opening line or UMass is worse. UMass game will tell all of us something but more will be learned week 2 about this team win or lose.

Line moved to attract money on UMASS. They need to balance the bets so they cannot lose money and just take their percentage.

This could simply be a result of their being more Rutgers fans than UMASS fans

It probably has to do with the fact that UMass was a horrible rushing team #107 last year to our weakness, DL and a good passing team #25 to the strength of our Defense, back 7. The only way this games is close is if our offense struggles against what was #122 ranked defense last year, #49 pass D and #126 rush D vs Blackshear, Pacheco, Young and Adams, compared to our #67 ranked defense last year, #17 pass D and #108 rush D.

I think our back 7 is better this year than last year with Avery Young and Damon Hayes starting CBs with Tre Avery as 3rd CB and safeties has playing experience, and our LB/Jack depth is the best it's been since Schiano era, with Fogg, Maddox-Williams, Singleton, Fatukasi, Battle, Jennings, Onyechi, N.Anderson, and Freshman Ugwu, Toure and Igwunagu. The line will continue to move higher.

Reactions: IMARUFAN and RUEd
UMass allowed the following point totals in 2018:

UMass allowed 30+ points in 9 out of 12 games and 50+ points in 6 out of 12 games.

If RU can’t put up 30+ points it’s an huge indictment on the HC, OC, and QB (not to excuse the OL and WRs also).

If we’ve improved at all from last season this should be a TX St-type 42-17 score. If we’re one of the worst teams in college football again, it will be a 24-21 type score.

Lindy's preseason magazine has UMass ranked 129th out of 130 FBS teams.

They are coming off a 4-8 season. They only have 3 starters returning on defense and 5 returning on offense. Their head coach is in his 1st year there.

If Rutgers doesn't win by something like 38-13 ... well ... let's just say I will not be happy.

Reactions: Finster Baby
Lindy's preseason magazine has UMass ranked 129th out of 130 FBS teams.

They are coming off a 4-8 season. They only have 3 starters returning on defense and 5 returning on offense. Their head coach is in his 1st year there.

If Rutgers doesn't win by something like 38-13 ... well ... let's just say I will not be happy.

Yes. Don Bosco would give UMASS a good game.
The margin better be 24 + points for RU.

UMass allowed the following point totals in 2018:

UMass allowed 30+ points in 9 out of 12 games and 50+ points in 6 out of 12 games.

If RU can’t put up 30+ points it’s an huge indictment on the HC, OC, and QB (not to excuse the OL and WRs also).

If we’ve improved at all from last season this should be a TX St-type 42-17 score. If we’re one of the worst teams in college football again, it will be a 24-21 type score.

Texas State was only 35 points scored (cue the “we didn't want to revel anything on offense" posts....)

Rutgers scored the following point totals in 2018:
35 (Texas State)

Less than 20pts: 11 out of 12 games
Less than 14pts: 6 out of 12 games

This is the battle of the "easily movable object" vs. "easily stoppable force".

Forget a +24pt win.
Just scoring 24pts at all would be an accomplishment.

Here is my bet....none of the Vegas bettors have been to a Rutgers practice and they are basing everything on last year.

Reactions: thegock
When’s the last time we scored more than 47 points in a game? Morgan State and Howard?

Texas State was only 35 points scored (cue the “we didn't want to revel anything on offense" posts....)

35 (Texas State)

Forget a +24pt win.

But the Offense has to be better. Carter at QB. Pacheco and Blackshear with experience.
Ok- 24-0.

When’s the last time we scored more than 47 points in a game? Morgan State and Howard?

2016 (52)and 2017 (65)against Howard.
Despite being "worse" OCs, at least DM and JK put up big points in 1 game.

Excluding 1-AA teams:
2015 we scored 41 ( L Maryland) and 55 (W Indiana).

Reactions: Mr_Twister
Here is my bet....none of the Vegas bettors have been to a Rutgers practice and they are basing everything on last year.

I think what’s happening here is that all the Vegas algorithms are probably saying that even the worst big ten team should hammer any team that isn’t in the power five or group of five. Preseason betting is based entirely on power ratings.

I agree with you on the 48-7. However if the 31-14 was something like 31-0 in the thrid and he pulled the starters I could live with that as an improvement. Really anything less than total domination will not spell improvement to me.

Forget a +24pt win.

LOLOLOL

Need to score 40 against their defense...anything less, be very worried to what that mean the rest of the year.

Need to score 40 against their defense...anything less, be very worried to what that mean the rest of the year.

I can already hear Ash/McN:

The run game was working well so no need to pass the ball.
Didn’t want to run up the score.
Just trying to get out with no injuries.
Didn’t want to show off too much of the offense - put too much on tape for future opponents.

Reactions: kcg88

35 (Texas State)

Forget a +24pt win.

Texas State actually had the #55 defense in the country last year. Their problem was their offense couldn't move the ball at all in the opener and didn't get much better throughout the year finishing #123 in total offense (Rutgers was #128).

I can already hear Ash/McN:

The run game was working well so no need to pass the ball.
Didn’t want to run up the score.
Just trying to get out with no injuries.
Didn’t want to show off too much of the offense - put too much on tape for future opponents.
Ash better figure out quickly, if he hasn't already, there is NO easing off the gas against anyone. Yeah, if you are up 35-7 in the 3rd Qtr, you bring in the 2nd/3rd teams but you keep your playbook in.

Reactions: NickRU714
Record the game s o you can watch many times during the year to get out of the funk over the previous Saturday.

Line moved to attract money on UMASS. They need to balance the bets so they cannot lose money and just take their percentage.

This could simply be a result of their being more Rutgers fans than UMASS fans

The biggest fallacy perpetuated by betting novices is that books don’t take sides/totals in games. They do.

I'm in Just Win, Baby mode.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT